Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 117724 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2020, 04:14:27 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #201 (1967) - Carolyn - 'You MUST TELL me!'

From #0200/0201: Robservations 10/11/01: Willie and James Dean, Separated at Birth?"
In the study, Vicki tells Carolyn that she finally got David to bed, and it was Jason who found him, in the basement. What was he doing there? asks Carolyn. Jason claimed he was looking for David, says Vicki, because he knew she was trying to find him, at least that's what David thinks, but Vicki doesn't, especially since he said he was going up to his room and not look for David, and besides...she's got to stop thinking everything that man says is a lie. You must tell me, insists Carolyn. Vicki tells her when she came downstairs, Jason was standing, listening, outside the drawing room door--he said he wanted a book in there and was waiting for the conversation to be finished. Carolyn doesn't believe that for a moment, she neither likes nor trusts Jason; but she doesn't believe he's an old friend of her mother's, no matter what she says. It's not like your mother to lie, says Vicki, and Carolyn agrees, Jason is making her mother lie. How do you know? asks Vicki. Carolyn can tell, Liz seems afraid of him, as if he has some hold over her. Not possible, says Vicki, her mother is a strong woman, she wouldn't let anyone do such a thing to her.
Carolyn asks her how she explains it all--his being here, and don't say it's because he's an old friend--he isn't a friend of her mother's or hers--Mr. McGuire isn't a friend of anyone.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2020, 04:08:44 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #150 (1967) - Liz - 'Someone MUST TELL her that she can't see David anymore!'

From "#0150/0151: Robservations 09/05/01: Strange Visitation"
Everyone's against me, says David, nobody wanted me to have that painting--nobody wants me to have it now--you all hate me--you hate me! And he races from the room, upstairs, Liz calling plaintively after him. Vicki comes out of the kitchen, asking what's the matter. He just found out about the painting, says Liz, you'd better go upstairs and try to calm him down. I will, says Vicki, and heads upstairs. You certainly dealt deftly with him, says Liz sarcastically. (great father #3) I was very direct, I admit, says Roger--it's all part of the growing up process, he's got to learn it sooner or later, this is the first step. You really don't seem to care what you say to him, says Liz, how much you hurt him, how much you alienate him. That's why I'm so sure he's be much better off with his mother, says Roger. Are you? asks Liz. Absolutely, says Roger. (#4) Let me tell you something, she says, I can see right through your little campaign of giving David to Laura, but I won't let you do it--the child is frightened of her--and I've had enough of her and the air of mystery that surrounds her--someone must tell her she can't see David anymore.
Don't do that, says Roger. I'm going to do it--right now, says Liz, and marches off determinedly, out the door. Roger looks perturbed.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2020, 02:48:34 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #53 (1966) - Vicki - 'You MUST have heard me TELL Joe it was seaweed.'

From "#0053/0054: Robservations 06/25/01: Collinsport, Patterson's Town"
For the last time, there was no dead man down there, Vicki insists to David, who now sits on his bed, thumbing through the book--you were listening at the door, so you must have heard me tell Joe it was seaweed. Yes, says David, but I also heard you talking about Mr. Malloy. He's old enough not to have to tell people his comings and goings, insists Vicki. David makes a face and says, "Not anymore--I think my father killed him!" That's a horrible thing to say! Vicki tells him, sitting on the bed beside him. Is it horrible to tell the truth? he asks. But it isn't the truth, she says, you don't know a thing about it. I know what I saw in my crystal ball, don't I? he asks. It's in your mind, says Vicki, not true, it's all in your imagination.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2020, 04:02:00 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1172 (1840) - Judard - 'You MUST go to Quentin and TELL him what danger you are in.'

From "#1171/1172: Robservations 11/18/03: Another Brick in the Wall"
Joanna really wants to kill me! cries Daphne.  What else can we think? he asks--she moved toward the bed and when she found it empty, she vanished.  Do you think I should leave Collinwood? she asks.  No, he says, it's the one thing you must not do--there are answers here, and we will find them.  She shakes her head--Joanna was so good to me in life, she'd never try to hurt anyone--I don't understand this.  There are answers, Gerard assures her, and we will find them--perhaps if we communicated with her in some way.  We already tried that, we had a seance, says Daphne, she appeared, but only for a few seconds, then disappeared.  If we can't communicate directly, perhaps indirectly we can, he suggests--when Quentin confided in me about the notes, he told me about the great oak tree, where he and Joanna used to meet.  That's right, says Daphne, she even left two of the notes there.  If Quentin would write another note, suggests Gerard, and have someone leave it there for her, a note explaining how he feels about you, then I'm sure she would understand.
How would we know? asks Daphne.  She would be bound to answer Quentin's note, he says, and that way, we'd know everything.  You may be right, she says.  You sound a bit doubtful, he says.  I'm thinking about Quentin, the chance he would be taking, she says, they've already accused him once of trying to communicate with the dead; if anyone should find the note, they could accuse him again.  It is the only chance we have, he says--I'd do it if I were in his position--for you--you must go to Quentin and tell him what danger you are in.
[/spoiler]

As anyone who's actually seen this ep knows, 'Gerard' is peddling a lot of BS in this scene. And not that you couldn't figure it out on your own but: Judard = Judah possessing Gerard...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2020, 02:06:01 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1034 (1970PT) - Cyrus - 'I MUST TELL them everything!'

From "#1034/1035: Robservations 07/25/03: Cyrus' Sad End; Hoffman KNOWS!"
Yaeger returns to Cyrus' lab, turns on the light, takes down the map and opens the safe. He reaches for the antidote--only enough for this one time, he says, and then... The cops knock at the door.  Yaeger quickly drinks down his alibi.

The cops are still knocking.  Cyrus picks up the empty bottle--this is the end, he says, the last of the potion--I must tell them everything!
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2020, 06:24:34 PM »
Unusually tasteful shirt and tie for Cyrus--as worn moments ago by Yeagar, perhaps; I can't recall now. I wonder if Stanley Simmons had taken over from Ramse Mostoller at this point on wardrobe duty; I believe so.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2020, 04:02:00 PM »
I'm also partial to that shirt - here it is for those who may have missed it:

A lot of John Yeager's clothes were nifty. He may have been a reprehensible human being, but Yeager was highly fashionable. But then at the outset that was expressly mentioned as one of his traits.

And I checked and Stanley Simmons had indeed already taken over as costume designer...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2020, 04:12:01 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #948 (1970) - Josette's Ghost - 'I will TELL you what you MUST know, now and forever.'

From "Robservations 5/21/03 - #948-949"
Barnabas goes to Josette's grave. Everyone is ready to go, to move against the Leviathans, except me, muses Barnabas--I can't as long as I have any doubt about you, Josette. Her music begins to play.  Barnabas calls, "Who is it? Who's there?--Josette, is that you?"  She appears, lovely in her wedding gown and veil, minus the protruding golf eyeball. It is I, she says, and I will tell you what you must know, how and forever.
[/spoiler]

"How" as in "how and forever" is a typo - well, unless Robin misheard it. But I strongly suspect it's the former and not the latter because Midnite and I have come across many typos in the Robservations. But considering how detailed many are and how long it must have taken to type them up, we can easily look the other way because it's a wonder that Robin got through some of them at all...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2020, 03:46:00 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #763 (1897) - Tim - 'I MUST do whatever you TELL me.'

From "Robservations 1/10/03 - #762-763 -  A Heart-Wrenching Truth"
Evan snaps his fingers and Tim repeats, "I am going to kill someone."  You must do whatever I tell you, says Evan, but you don't know why, only that you must--when the time comes, says Evan, you will have no memory of these plans.  Who am I to kill? Asks Time.  You will know when the time comes, replies Evan--we must make sure you aren't caught--there will be a signal which will give you a sense of power, of release, and you will know the time for action is at hand.  Evan holds up a card--the queen of spades--and tells Tim, when you see it, the name of the person you are to kill will be in your mind, and nothing will stop you.
[/spoiler]

Unlike the May 23rd incident in which it could mistakenly be inferred that Roger says a line that's actually delivered in Ep #17 by Bill, in this Robservations Evan is explicitly mistakenly identified as delivering a line which is actually delivered by Tim in Ep #763. In the Robservations Evan is even given the correct pronouns he would have used had it been his line even though the pronouns that match with Tim delivering the line can clearly be heard in the ep. Only Robin knows why the mix-up took place when she typed up the Robservations...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2020, 02:46:01 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #678 (1969) - Beth - 'You MUST not TELL him. You MUST not TELL him about me.'

From "Robservations 10/7/02 - #678/679 - Maggie Follows David Into Quentin's Lair"
In bed, asleep, Amy dreams, tossing her head back and forth on her pillow. Beth calls to her, her voice filled with tears. Amy asks where she is. "Oh, Amy!" sighs Beth--"What can we do?" Amy gets out of bed and asks if it's time to play the game. No games, says Beth--come to me, Amy. Amy walks toward Beth's voice, to the cottage, where Chris sits in a chair. "Don't come near the window, Amy!" warns Beth. The shade is drawn down. Amy asks if something has happened to her brother, and begs Beth to tell her. He's all right, says Beth, this time. Amy asks if she's talking about Chris. Beth tells her she saved him. "You must not tell him about me," warns Beth. "You love him as I love. . ."
[/spoiler]

Robservations doesn't include the whole quote - but it does get the wording of the quote correctly and attributes it to the right character. (Although, Beth actually says 'Don't go near the window' - and she says it twice. [ghost_blink])

And today's quote marks the second time a second "MUST" quote has been taken from an episode. The first quote from this ep (David - 'You MUSTN'T hurt him.') was back on May 6th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2020, 02:18:00 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #488 (1968) - Prof. Stokes - 'If you know who the witch is, you MUST TELL me.'

From "#0487/0488: Robservations 05/17/02: Desperate Measures"
Stokes says Barnabas knows witchcraft is being practiced at Collinwood and knows who the witch is. He came to him for a talisman, a protection against witches. Who is the witch? Barnabas isn't sure he should tell him, what would he gain? My help, says Stokes. He believes someone is the victim of a dream curse, it could be anyone, even Barnabas. Why me? asks Barn. The point is, says Stokes, I think I can break the curse, and you must tell me who the witch is--you have no other choice. Barn shilly-shallies a while longer, but finally breaks down and admits it's Cassandra Collins.
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2020, 05:35:24 PM »
Wonderful photo. I love it!

Thanks, MB!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2020, 03:24:01 PM »
Wonderful photo. I love it!

And here it is for anyone who might have missed it:

Prof. Stokes scenes are always something to look forward to on the show, particularly if he's letting Barnabas and/or Julia know that he knows a lot more about what's going on than they think he does, which is the case with that scene...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2020, 03:34:00 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #450 (1796) - Bathia - 'There is something you MUST TELL me before I can begin.'

From "#0449/0450: Robservations 04/19/02: Joshua Tries to Make it Right"
Joshua sets up Barn's portrait in the drawing room. You didn't tell me everything, she says--you must trust me, tell me all--I need a name for this enemy. "My son. . .my son is a vampire," Joshua says painfully, made so by the curse--won't he be human after the curse has been removed? Nothing is sure, she says, but now she knows how to start. Joshua closes the doors on Bathia and the portrait.
[/spoiler]

As you can see, there almost isn't any reference to today's quote in Robservations. I came across it back in April while I was looking for something else in Ep #450 that is not there, namely Bathia telling Joshua that he must trust her. It's phrased very differently in the ep - and more importantly for this "MUST" slideshow, there is no use of "'must" in the phrasing...

And Anita Bolster gets a bad wrap because of that scene in the tower room in Ep #451 in which someone off camera has to remind her of her line. And granted, that is a huge blooper. However, it really shouldn't overshadow that she also has some really effective scenes as Bathia. The ones in Ep #450 are definitely some of those...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 19, 2020, 07:07:33 PM »
Fabulous shot of Bathia today! I love her.

I wonder if they ever put back in the blooper from the scene where she's exorcising Barny-boo and she is incanting ponderously "We must go..." and then obviously can't recall at all what comes next. And then from offstage you can hear a nasal male voice in a Brooklyn accent bark, "Go to the old house!" "Ahhh, we must go... to the Old House..." That was utterly classic DS but some fool excised it... from the best of intentions, of course.

G.