Author Topic: #0200/0201: Robservations 10/11/01: Willie and James Dean, Separated at Birth?  (Read 2178 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #200 - The roads that lead to Collinwood are dark and deserted at night. Collinwood has known such nights before. It was on a night such as this that an act was done, a man died. It was on a night such as this that torment began for several people--the torment of secret guilt.

Burke demands that Sam say it again--he wants to hear it! Sam starts, saying he'd been drinking, he hardly ever drank (now we know why he became such a heavy drinker), but Burke just wants to hear the last part repeated. The man was wearing a dark coat, says Sam, even he couldn't see him until the headlights of the car... No, says Burke, not that part, the man was lying in the road, the car stopped--then what? Miserable, Sam says the car stopped on the other side of the road. That's it, then what? asks Burke. I looked in to see who was driving, ays Sam. Who? demands Burke. Roger, admits Sam. Burke pulls him around to face him, telling him to say it louder. It was Roger behind the wheel, says Sam. Say it again, Sam, I want to hear is one more time, commands Burke. "It was Roger driving, not you," says Sam. Burke releases him. Roger--and you saw it all. Sam sits down, saying he saw it all--Roger killed that man, not you. Burke looks almost murderously pleased to hear the truth at last.

Sam and Burke are sitting down, and Sam describes how he desperately needed money, so he gave Roger his paintings, and Roger gave him money, but of course, the money was really for his silence. It accounts for his sudden windfall, and the fact that he was able to take his wife to a Boston hospital--but it was too late, she died there, making the money ruthless. He started to drink, his work began to suffer. Prison is a terrible place, says Burke quietly. I know, says Sam. No, you don't, says Burke, but I do, and your silence sent me there for 5 years. I know, says Sam, his face twisted with guilt. Prison is hell, and I was in it! says Burke, leaning over Sam. Don't you think I haven't thought about that for 10 years? Asks Sam, do you think even one night has passed that hasn't been infected by it?
Maggie returns home, sees the two men, and a hopeful expression comes over her face. She rushes around to her father and kneels. "You told him?" she asks. Everything, Sam says. Oh, Pop, you told him, exults Maggie, hugging her father. Yes, he did, says Sam. She's so proud of him! she says. Maggie goes over to Burke and asks if he's going to send her father to prison. I was in jail for five years, says Burke. I know, she says. Don't you think he deserves it? demands Burke. NO! answers Maggie. After what he's done to me. I know what he's done to you, she says, but I know what he's done to himself, too. Don't you think he's suffered in a prison of his own? It's not the same, says Burke. I know, says Maggie, if I had a choice, I. You don't know what you're talking about! Insists Burke. Maggie tells him she isn't saying he didn't suffer, she can imagine the rage he experienced, knowing he was innocent and Roger, guilty. You can't imagine it at all! says Burke. All right, I don't know, admits Maggie, but I've seen my father suffer for 10 long years, day in and day out. Stop it, Maggie, says Sam. Pop, I won't, she says, you've been punished enough, and I think Burke ought to know that. You know what Burke is interested in, says Sam, you've known that from the beginning. If it's justice you want, asks Maggie... It's not justice he wants, says Sam, it's revenge--isn't that what's kept you going all these years? He asks Burke. Yes, confesses Burke. So you're determined to get even? Asks Maggie. I don't know, says Burke. What does that mean? she asks. It means I don't know, Burke answers gruffly--I've waited for this moment for 10 years, and now it's finally come at last. Whatever you do, whatever you decide, make it fast, asks Sam. I want to think about it, says Burke, there are different things I might do to you--to Roger...Roger Collins from Collinwood! he sneers. Yes, I want to think about it, all the things I might do to you--and to him, my old friend, Roger!

Collinwood, 10:55 (we hear the clock tick) - Liz angrily tells Roger she's done all the explaining she's going to do--it's late and she's tired. So am I, her brother retorts, very tired, tired of this man acting like Collinwood is his home. At the moment, it is, says Liz, she thought she'd made that clear. It's proven to be rather an extended moment, points out Roger. Roger, you have to understand, she says, Jason was Paul's friend. Roger understands his being here, but not Liz, she never liked strangers around here anymore than he has, less, in fact. Jason isn't a stranger, not to me, anyway, says Liz. Stranger or not, one thing you've never tolerated, says Roger, is to have anyone snooping around here. Has he been exploring again? she demands. Look at you, says Roger, the very idea freezes the blood in your veins. That doesn't answer my question, says Liz, have you seen him someplace he shouldn't be? Yes, says Roger. In the basement? She asks. No, says Roger. Then where? She demands. EVERYWHERE, says Roger, here, upstairs, on the grounds, as long as he's at Collinwood, he's someplace he shouldn't be, he doesn't belong at Collinwood and she knows it. He'll stay here until he wants to leave or I ask him to leave, insists Liz. When will that be? asks Roger. Liz will not discuss this anymore. The man is taking over Collinwood! cries Roger. Liz orders him not to be ridiculous. He isn't, says Roger, he's not a guest, he doesn't act like one, and she knows it. What has he done? asks Liz, going over to the sideboard where the booze it, taken some of your precious brandy? Roger says his taking it is one thing, his attitude toward taking it is another--he doesn't drink MY brandy, he drinks HIS brandy. He's not living in YOUR house, but his. This is my house and Jason is fully aware of it, says Liz, furious. He certainly doesn't act like it, says Roger. Nor do you, on occasion, responds Liz (ooh, diss!) Roger looks at her and says it wasn't only unfair, but cruel. You forced me to say it, says Liz.
No, I didn't, says Roger, Jason did, his being here--how much more will he force her to do? Liz leaves the room without another word. The clock strikes.

Burke insists that they go to Roger's tonight. Maggie protests that it's late. Burke knows, but says they'll go to Collinwood anyway, wake Roger if they have to--his mind is made up. But he's been through so much already tonight, protests Maggie. Let me go tomorrow, asks Sam. No, now, says Burke. I've been drinking too much, says Sam. You're cold sober and you know it, says Burke. Tomorrow will be soon enough, says Maggie. No, it won't, says Burke, it will never be soon enough for me to see the expression on Roger's face when he finds out I know--come on, Sam. You're not going, Maggie tells her father, but Sam says he must do what Burke tells him. He has no right to drag you out in the middle of the night, she cries. "He sent me to prison for five years and you talk to me about rights?" blares Burke. "Don't forget, it's my decision whether or not your father goes to prison." I know, says Maggie in a small voice. Is it too much to ask him to come to Collinwood with me now? asks Burke. Sam says no, it's not, then turns to his daughter and tells her it's the least he can do. But Pop, says Maggie plaintively. I'll be all right, Sam assures her, getting his coat. Burke apologizes to Maggie, but Sam says there's something in it for him, too--Roger never thought he'd have the guts to tell Burke, he's earned the right to see his face when he finds out.
Sam smiles, and Maggie hugs him. The two men leave, and Maggie's face shows worry as to how this will all end.

Jason pours himself a drink at Collinwood and once again surveys the drawing room with a proprietary air. He lies on the sofa, feet up. Roger comes in and glares at him. Jason asks Roger to join him in a nightcap. No, says Roger, I've come down for a book. Trouble sleeping, eh? Asks Jason. No, I simply enjoy reading at night, says Roger. Jason says he favors the taste of good brandy, a warm fire--ah, the comforts of home! So I see, says Roger sarcastically. Traveling on the seas really makes a man appreciate a house like Collinwood, says Jason. Doesn't Collinwood, in turn, make you miss your travel? Asks Roger. Not in the least, Jason assures him. Then you won't be resuming them shortly? Asks Roger. Can't say for sure, says Jason. Perhaps you will allow me to say you're resuming them soon, says Roger, I suggest you leave first thing in the morning! Jason says he doesn't expect it to be that soon. If you will pardon my bluntness, says Roger, I'm ASKING you to leave in the morning. All right, says Jason, I will. You'll leave? asks Roger. No, I'll pardon your bluntness, says Jason evenly. My sister might allow you to impose on her, says Roger, but I will not--I find your presence here a terrible imposition. Then maybe we should try to keep out of each other's way, suggests Jason. Furious, Roger tells him he has no intention of keeping out of anybody's way--now look here, McGuire. "MR. McGuire!" corrects Jason, no longer acting affable. You are a guest in this house, begins Roger. Treat me like one! Jason says. Perhaps if you acted like one, instead of acting like you own the place, says Roger. Jason springs from the sofa and tells Roger he doesn't own the place, Elizabeth does, and Roger is absolutely right, he's only a guest in this house, Elizabeth's guest, and he wonders how often he's going to have to remind Roger of that. How often do I have to remind you you're not welcome at Collinwood? demands Roger. Liz enters, asking what's going on. Your brother has just been reminding me I'm not welcome at Collinwood, tattles Jason. Is that true? Roger tells Liz he's been reminding him that, welcome or not, he's a guest in this house, and the least he could do is act accordingly. Perhaps I misinterpreted your invitation to feel at home? Jason asks Liz pointedly. Yes, you certainly have, says Roger. That's enough! commands Liz, her face twisted with anger. Jason apologizes, saying the last thing he wants to do it bring dissension to Collinwood. I doubt that! says Roger. Liz orders him to stop it. Roger says it's time to have it out--he's been telling her this in private and now he's telling her in front of Mr. McGuire. This isn't the time, says Liz. It's past time! insists Roger--he's taking a terrible advantage of you, and I want him to leave! Advantage? questions Jason, well of course I am, taking advantage of this woman's warm, extraordinary hospitality, why shouldn't I, when it's so freely offered. He's mocking you, barks Roger, can't you tell it in his voice? Mocking? Asks Jason, pouring himself another drink. Please, begs Liz of Jason, it's very late. No, says Jason, I think your brother's right, it's time we had this out. Roger comes over and orders Liz to tell him to leave tomorrow. Jason says yes, tell me to leave tomorrow, and I will, for that matter, tell me to leave tonight--you only need say the word. Say it, Liz, say it! says Roger. Stop it, she orders her brother, and Jason says yes, says it, Liz, I'm sure it won't reflect on our long, long friendship, and it certainly won't have any effect on the deep, deep understanding we've always shared. He gives her a significant look. The memories of other days, of your husband, Jason reminds her. Roger says she wants to forget completely about her husband, says Roger. Don't be so sure, says Jason, adding there are some memories he can't possibly LET her forget--so just say the word, the decision is yours, tell me to leave and I will-- immediately. "Liz, please!" begs Roger. Well, Liz, you must decide, says Jason, may I stay? Yes, of course you must stay, says Liz, stunning her brother. Liz! Says Roger, hurt. Jason smiles smarmily, saying if she wants him to stay, he will. "And thank you very much, Elizabeth, thank you very much indeed," says Jason, raising his glass to her. I'm very relieved, he says, looking at Roger, "now that we've had this out."
And he raises his glass to Roger, who leaves the room in a huff. Liz sits on the sofa, contemplating her crumbling life.

Jason tells her he hopes her brother is satisfied--her invitation to stay couldn't have been more explicit. You must forgive Roger, she says, he's quite puzzled by it all. Jason forgives him. How generous of you, says Liz sarcastically. Jason says he would very much appreciate it if his stay here at Collinwood wasn't interrupted by these ugly scenes with him. We are not as you know a gregarious family, says Liz, surely you can understand Roger's resentment. He understands it, but doesn't enjoy it, says Jason--will you make sure he doesn't "express" it again? Liz rises from the sofa, walks over to him, and says she can tell him to stay when Roger tells him to leave, but she can't dictate his reaction to it. I suggest you try, says Jason. It wouldn't work, says Liz, Roger's one independent area is his temperament. I'm sure you could curb it if you really cared to, says Jason. Perhaps I don't WANT to, says Liz, cocking an eyebrow at him. Jason stares at his drink, saying, Liz, please, I like to enjoy my stay here--and I would appreciate it very much if you would really try, but I'm sure you'll do everything you can--for old time's sake. And his affable grin slips. He bids her goodnight, and when she doesn't respond, asks if she is going to wish him good night? She doesn't respond, and he repeats the question. Gulping as if she's swallowed something disgusting, Liz says, "Good night, Jason," not facing him. We hear a car pulling up outside. Liz stands alone, unhappy, angry, frustrated. She sits down. There's a knock at the door, loud. She goes to answer it, asking who it is. It's Sam. Liz opens the door (she can't see Burke waiting out there) and tells Sam it's very late. He must see Roger, says Sam, it's very important. Burke pushes his way in, and a startled Liz asks what he's doing here. Like the man said, we want to see Roger, says Burke. Liz says they can't, he's gone to bed. Would you be so kind as to wake him up, says Burke. I won't do anything of the sort, says Liz, trying to close the doors on the two men. Burke pushes them open, suggesting that she not shut the door. You have no business at Collinwood, says Liz, please leave! I have every business at Collinwood, very important business with your brother! Says Burke. Liz says this is ridiculous. Burke says he thinks she'll change her appraisal when she's heard them out. Sam assures Liz it's very important. What IS it? she asks. Go get Roger and you'll find out soon enough! says Burke. Liz tells the men she's had a very difficult evening. So have we, says Burke. Both men come into the foyer. If you want to see Roger, says Liz, arrange to see him in town at some respectable hour. They want to see him tonight, says Burke. Liz asks Sam to tell her what it is. Sam says it's really something between Burke and Roger. But Sam is involved, as you'll find out, says Burke. Liz asks if it involves those paintings of Sam's, they wouldn't come this late at night because of them would they? No, Sam says, not exactly. Please tell me why you're here, says Liz. Burke thinks she knows. Liz claims she doesn't have the slightest idea. Burke asks, really? No, she doesn't. I think you know, says Burke, now please get Roger.
Roger himself appears on the landing, asking what all the racket is down there. Seeing Sam and Burke with Liz, his expression changes--he's scared. Burke walks up a few steps and says, "Hello, Roger, we've come to talk to you--both of us." Roger's face looks like that of a petulant little boy caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

NOTES: Riveting performances on the part of everyone, and this denouement for a storyline that began with the first episode is now winding down. Tomorrow, we're in for quite a treat, as Roger gets his comeuppance for his misdeeds and Burke does a surprising thing. I hate to love Jason McGuire, but he is such an SOB, and his confrontations with Liz and Roger are such a treat to watch. The guy has something that Paul never possessed, which is weird, since the same actor portrayed both. Wonderful performances all around today.

Episode #201 - Roger comes nervously downstairs and faces Burke down at the bottom, asking him what he's doing here. We've come to see you, says Burke, sweeping his hand toward Sam. Ridiculous, at this time of night, says Roger, then asks Liz why she let them in. She can't keep me out, says Burke, not anymore! Liz asks what it' all about, and Burke says she'll find out in a few minutes. Roger insists that Liz stay out of this, it has nothing to do with her' it has nothing to do with her whatsoever. Liz stays in, insists Burke, it will involve her. Burke suggests they step inside. Liz follows, giving Roger a look before she does, and Roger gives the slightly grinning Sam a filthy look. Burke closes the double doors behind him.

The man was dead, says Sam, it was Roger I saw behind the wheel of the car. Roger walks away, finally saying Sam is lying, it was too dark to see. Roger, please! begs Liz. Sam says Roger knows it was him. Maybe it looked as if I was sitting behind the wheel, says Roger, because Burke was slouched over drunk. Not true, says Burke. It is! insists Roger, you were behind that wheel! That's a lie and you know it! says Burke. Roger tells Liz it's the truth, and she asks if it is. Can't you see what they're doing? whines Roger, they're conniving, trying to ruin both of us, the family name, Burke's always been envious. Burke asks who would envy them--a bunch of hypocritical cowards? Roger says he's paying Sam to say this, it's just another bribe! (oops!) ANOTHER bribe? pounces Liz. You've nailed it for me, Roger, says Burke, thanks a lot--if you weren't driving, why did you feel the need to bribe Sam for his silence? Liz asks Roger about the paintings--was that the bribe? It was not a bribe, says Roger. Oh, no, chuckles Sam, you really wanted those paintings, Roger, didn't you, so much you threw them away? Did you give Sam money to keep him quiet? demands Liz. Of course not! says Roger brusquely. How can you say that? asks Sam. The money was extortion, says Roger, Sam witnessed the accident and told me if I didn't give him a certain amount of money, he would get up in court and say I, not Burke, was driving that car. That's a lie, snaps Sam. Roger turns to Liz and tells her she must believe him, it's the truth. It isn't, says Burke. I hate to ruin your moment of triumph, says Roger sarcastically, but you have no proof. Yes I do, says Burke. What evidence, asks Roger, the testimony of an admitted extortionist? It wasn't extortion! Says Sam. Of course it wasn't, says Burke, and I can prove it--if you had been innocent, you would have had Sam in court and behind bars in two seconds--if you were innocent, REALLY innocent, the Collins sense of justice would have demanded it, the Collins power would have accomplished it! It wasn't a bribe, says Roger, and I wasn't driving--I swear to that--Liz, you don't believe them, do you. Liz doesn't know. Burke tells her she's known all along. Yes, I guess I have, admits Liz. Her brother cries out that she doesn't know what she's saying. Yes, I do, contradicts Liz. I have known it all along, somewhere deep in the back of my mind. No, Liz, no, pleads Roger. Liz turns to Burke and tells him he's been waiting for this moment a long time--what is he going to do? What are YOU going to do?--you're the keeper of the Collins conscience, the Collins honor, sneers Burke. Now that we know, what do you suggest we do? Liz doesn't know. You don't think it should be kept quiet, states Burke. Liz reminds him we all do terrible things, that we can't help. You think it should be forgotten? asks Burke. It will never be forgotten, she says. But it should go unpunished, persists Burke. Call the police if you want to, she says. No, he's sorry, he's leaving it all up to her, says Burke. Jason comes to the closed doors and listens. Roger asks his sister what she's going to do. Call the police, says Liz. Liz! Begs Roger.

Vicki comes downstairs and catches Jason listening at the door. He moves away and tells her he was going in to get a book, but they're having a conversation in there, and he doesn't want to interrupt. I see, says Vicki skeptically. I suppose I could do without it, says Jason, starting to walk around her on the stairs, he supposes he'll do without the book. Vicki asks Jason if he's seen David. No, why, he asks. He's not in his room, she says. Where could he be? Vicki doesn't know, he likes to wander around the house after everyone is asleep. Jason chuckles, saying he's a very adventurous little boy. He asks her to excuse him, and she bids him good night, but her face is stern when he walks upstairs.

Roger begs Liz not to call the police. She apologizes to him, but lifts the receiver and dials...

Burke suddenly takes the phone from Liz and hangs it up. Why did you do that? She asks. You really were going to call the police, weren't you? he asks. Of course, she says. Then forget it, Burke says, I just wanted to see if you really had the guts to do it. I suppose you think you can keep doing this over and over again, says Liz, well I won't let you humiliate either one of us every time you think you need some amusement. Let him do what he wants, urges Roger sourly, as long as he doesn't go to the police. It's no way to live, believe me, says Liz. (She KNOWS.) I meant it, Liz, says Burke, you don't have to call, and I give you my word I'll never bring it up again--I've had my moment, I've known what it's like to have power over the Collins family, for now, I'm satisfied--almost, that is. Roger asks if he's really not going to the police. On one condition--confess, orders Burke. Roger doesn't get it. You mean you want me to turn myself in? No, just admit you did it, here and now, in front of Liz, Sam and me, says Burke, I want to hear the words, hear you say them. I can't, says Roger. Yes you can, Sam, refresh his memory, says Burke. You were driving, says Sam, the car was weaving all over the road. OK, Sam, says Burke, now, Roger, you were driving the car, you hit the man, you killed him--say it! Roger, please, says Liz. I didn't know what I was doing! rails Roger. SAY IT! commands Burke. Hands clasped, Roger says, "I was driving, I hit the man, I killed him." Burke asks, and the money you gave Sam. Roger says he gave the money to Sam to keep him quiet. One more thing, says Burke. PLEASE! says Roger. Burke goes on, relentlessly, "I sent an innocent man to prison for five years."  He grabs Roger's robe in his hands and demands, over and over, SAY IT! SAY IT OR I'LL CHOKE IT OUT OF YOU! Shaken, Roger admits, "I sent an innocent man to prison for five years."
Burke violently tosses Roger down into the desk chair. At last, says Burke, now it's over--I thought I wanted to see you rot in prison, but people like you rot wherever they are. And Burke leaves. Roger sits stiffly in the chair. Sam leaves. Roger and Liz are left alone. "Liz, please," says Roger, "don't look at me now--please."

On the phone in the study, Jason tells Willie he overheard part of a conversation tonight, and he thinks Liz is going to call the police (good, let the bastard sweat!) -so, be ready to move out--fast! Jason goes into the basement, flashlight in hand, and goes over to the room and takes the padlock in his hand. No one ever goes in there, pipes David, even I've never been there, and I've been in every place in Collinwood.
He scares the crap out of Jason. There you are, says Jason, he was told that David was missing, so he was looking for him. How could I have been in there? asks David, this padlocks from the outside. Yes, he was just noticing that, says Jason, what are you doing here this time at night? Waiting around for someone to find you, says Jason, some game of hide and seek. No, says David, he was waiting around to see ghosts, he's heard some and seen some. Your imagination? suggests Jason--do you expect to see one tonight. He's not sure, says David, and asks if Jason wants to wait around with him. I'd like to, but Miss Winters is looking for you, says Jason. They should stay down there and see if she can find them, says David, making it sound like an adventure. He doesn't think that's a good idea, says Jason, and David says now he's been found out, he might as well go upstairs. Jason asks David what is in that room, and David says no one knows, and he hopes no one found out--it won't be scary anymore if someone knows. Is it possible that might be even more frightening? suggests Jason. David asks how he means. Sometimes, mystery can be very scary, says Jason, but sometimes truth, facts, can be even more horrifying. They smile at each other and head upstairs. We get a last shot of the basement door.

Drawing room - Say it, Roger tells Liz--you want me to leave Collinwood. She doesn't want to talk about it anymore tonight, she insists. He rises from the chair, and, gathering the remnants of his dignity, begs her to please not send him away, he doesn't know where he'd go or what he'd do--and think of David--what will happen to him, he is a Collins, after all. Liz angrily tells him people do things they regret for the rest of their lives. I couldn't help it, says Roger, I didn't want to kill him. Did you have to add cowardice and bribery to what you'd already done? demands Liz, you sent an innocent man to prison for five years! I couldn't help myself, please, begs Roger, try to understand. Liz can't talk about it anymore, please leave her alone! Silent, he gives her one more look, then, with a glance backward, leaves the room. Liz walks back and forth, hands clasped almost as if in prayer. She spots David heading upstairs. He tells her he's going up to bed, and she says he should have been there hours ago--where's Miss Winters? David says he doesn't know, probably looking for him. He's been around, walking through the house. Go ups to bed, she says. David asks if she thinks that the truth, facts, can be more horrifying than the mystery? Liz is puzzled. That's what Mr. McGuire said, says David, at first he thought he was relating (referring) to the locked door in the basement, but he thought he was just talking in general. What made you think he was talking about the locked room? asks Liz. That's where he found me, says David, just a minute ago, I thought he was trying to get into the room, but he said he was looking for me. HE was in the basement? Asks Liz. Yes, says David. Go up to bed, orders Liz. David says he's going, but Mr. McGuire seems to think the locked room in the basement is just filled with junk. Go to bed, she says, annoyed. David says he has a feeling Jason was trying to get in, maybe he wasn't looking for him, but he could be wrong.
Yes, you could be wrong, agrees Liz, perturbed.

In the study, Vicki tells Carolyn that she finally got David to bed, and it was Jason who found him, in the basement. What was he doing there? asks Carolyn. Jason claimed he was looking for David, says Vicki, because he knew she was trying to find him, at least that's what David thinks, but Vicki doesn't, especially since he said he was going up to his room and not look for David, and besides...she's got to stop thinking everything that man says is a lie. You must tell me, insists Carolyn. Vicki tells her when she came downstairs, Jason was standing, listening, outside the drawing room door--he said he wanted a book in there and was waiting for the conversation to be finished. Carolyn doesn't believe that for a moment, she neither likes nor trusts Jason; but she doesn't believe he's an old friend of her mother's, no matter what she says. It's not like your mother to lie, says Vicki, and Carolyn agrees, Jason is making her mother lie. How do you know? asks Vicki. Carolyn can tell, Liz seems afraid of him, as if he has some hold over her. Not possible, says Vicki, her mother is a strong woman, she wouldn't let anyone do such a thing to her.
Carolyn asks her how she explains it all--his being here, and don't say it's because he's an old friend--he isn't a friend of her mother's or hers--Mr. McGuire isn't a friend of anyone.

Down in the basement, Jason tries to pry open the lock on the door. Liz catches him, shining a flashlight in his eyes. Is it David? he asks. Vicki? No, Jason, says Liz, it's neither of them. He thought she might be Miss Winters, says Jason, she was searching for David and he was helping. Liz puts down her flashlight and says he found him--or rather, Jason did, down here. I told you to stay away from this room, she reminds him. Yes, he knows, he says, and he apologizes for not respecting her wishes. No one goes into that room--ever! She says. Jason says he's certainly glad to hear that. Next time I find you down here, she warns, I'm going to have to ask you to leave--in fact, I'm asking you to leave right now--no, telling you, no one goes in that room, even you. He chuckles, then says just a little while ago, he was considering leaving on his own. What do you mean? she asks. Oh, nothing, he says, but now, he doesn't think he will. She orders him out of Collinwood and Collinsport before morning! Impossible, says Jason. It's not necessary for you to be here, she says. Not for me, no, says Jason, but it is for you. What do you mean? she asks. If he were to leave here, he says, I might meet people, talk to them, like the police. No, cries Liz, you wouldn't, you agreed not to, you promised. Wouldn't I? he asks. Besides, he says, going back to the door, why should it bother you that I want to look in here?--I already know what's in here. She asks why he doesn't stay away, then? Maybe I want to pay my respects, he says cruelly. Don't say that, begs Liz. Why not? He asks, Paul was a good friend of mine, he might not have been a very good friend or husband to you, Liz, but he was a good and loyal friend to me--pity you had to go and kill him--and weren't you fortunate you had a good, loyal friend like me around--to bury him! Stop it! begs Liz. Sorry, Liz, he says, but you made me say it--but I won't say it again
--unless, of course, you force me to. And he walks away, giving her a placid, triumphant smile.

NOTES: How despicable is Jason? He's the biggest SOB I've seen on DS, worse than Barnabas in many ways, because he's a human monster.

EXCELLENT scene between Liz, Roger, Sam and Burke. The tension was palpable, the cat and mouse game Burke was playing (and rightfully enjoying), dripping with venom. I loved the way the proud Roger admitted to the equally proud Burke that he had sent him to prison for five years. Riveting scene between Roger and Liz afterward when she was apparently forced to confront her own foibles through her brother's experience. She yelled at him, but who was she really yelling at--herself, perhaps? I have always appreciated Burke's classic comment to Roger that people like him rot wherever they are.

David with Jason was another fun scene. It's almost as if they were partners in crime somehow, and David senses what Jason knows. Superb performances throughout.

Love, Robin