Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 349413 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #2295 on: October 15, 2023, 03:22:28 PM »
Tim Burton’s ‘Dark Shadows’ Doesn’t Suck as Much as You Remember
Sorry, fans of the 1960s soap opera

No, I didn't write the article, but I've been saying for years that Helena Bonham Carter and Eva Green are two of the best things about the film...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: January 02, 2024, 02:31:04 AM »
Tim Burton has always received my praise for his version because he did the one, faithful thing, taken straight from the DS bible, something even Dan Curtis turned into heresy in his attempts to remake the show ('91 and '04 [which had his fingerprints all over it]), something to me that is sacrosanct:  Maggie Evans is the reincarnation of Josette, not Victoria.  Curtis wasn't loyal to his original work, but Burton was.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: January 02, 2024, 03:56:04 PM »
 [pointing-up]  If Alexandra Moltke hadn't left in 1968 and had continued with the show, I strongly suspect that DC would have made Vicki Barnabas' obsession in hoDS and we would have seen the shift from Maggie 20 years earlier than we did with the NBC DS.

As for this film, it's sort of the best of both worlds when it comes to the Maggie/Vicki dynamic because we get Maggie Evans saying she's Victoria Winters.

(And it's funny that you say you think the '04 pilot had DC's fingerprints all over it because John Wells and Mark Verheiden made sure that DC had limited involvement with it. Even the WB got in on that act because after Rob Bowman dropped out as director, DC wanted to direct the pilot, but the WB absolutely refused to let him. But all that's a discussion best had in the pilot's topic...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: February 13, 2024, 11:24:16 PM »
The 25 Essential Vampire Movies: Must-Watch Selection - Dark Shadows (2012)

Why do I suspect having the Depp/DS film on this list would come as a huge surprise to some - particularly the claim: "The dark twist in the story attracted a large following, becoming a trend after its release in 2012."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: February 20, 2024, 08:19:48 PM »
Dark Shadows Movie Framing Print Poster Sci Fi Horror Wall Decor

Interesting that out of all the posters for the film, they chose the one for Josette. Although I do have to admit that it's one of my favorites.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: February 21, 2024, 08:59:47 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Just for the fun of it I went back today and discovered that do have one other poster: Carolyn -

Dark Shadows Movie Framing Print Poster Sci Fi Horror Wall Decor

- so perhaps at one time they had others but they're no longer available. Or maybe not...

(However, what they do have are dozens of other framed posters related to both the original DS and the '91 series. One that's particularly good is a replica of Josett'e portrait for the original, though the cross stitch of it is better, even if it does mistakenly include the mantle clock as part of the portrait...)