Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 116773 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #675 on: March 02, 2021, 10:08:44 PM »
That's our Julia.

Exactly!!  [easter_cheesy]

The "football helmet wig" (I don't recall ever hearing it described that way before) did come out of the mothballs for a Maggie flashback sequence in 1968. I remember being very surprised that they went to the trouble of trying to get the hair and clothes right for that, and for some of the other scenes of Maggie's flashbacks during that period.

Wow - I have no memory of a Julia flashback in 1968 - I'm shocked that I don't. I only remember flashbacks with Willie and Barnabas. And yes, seeing the show get the clothes right was a surprise. Though why do I strongly suspect it wasn't DC who went to that trouble?!  [easter_rolleyes]  The person may have even heard from DC that their efforts were way too conscientious because the audience was too dumb to remember what the characters had been wearing. Though while they didn't get the clothes right (though they came close) another surprising thing is how in 1969 they got the dialogue exactly right when they restaged Josette and Natalie in Josette's room on the night in 1796 that Josette was lured to Widows' Hill...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 02, 2021, 10:28:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #26 (1966) - Liz - 'You MUST have made a mistake. I'm positive you're wrong.'

From "#0025/0026: Robservations 06/05/01: Evidence Everywhere"
The sheriff's going to search Burke's room, Liz tells Vicki--if he should happen to find the missing valve, I assume that would end our discussion. He won't find it, says Vicki. Why are you so sure of that? asks Liz. Because I have it, says Vicki, I found it in David's dresser drawer.
I don't believe you, says a shocked Liz. You think I wanted to believe it? asks Vicki--but it was there, hidden, I found it when I was looking for my letter. Why did he have it? asks Liz, desperation in her voice. Why did you think Burke Devlin had it? asks Vicki. Liz thinks that over. All that was needed to take the valve from that car was a wrench or a pair of pliers, says Vicki, I remember Mr. Collins saying even a child could do it. Stop it, orders Liz. I'm sorry, says Vicki. Do you know what you're saying? demands Liz--do you want me to believe David would deliberately try to kill or injure his father? All I know is the valve was there and when David saw that I had it, he became frantic, says Vicki. He couldn't have don it, insists Liz. He's a troubled boy, says Vicki gently--you told me that yourself. You must have made a mistake, says Liz desperately, I'm positive that you're wrong. It's in my dresser drawer, says Vicki, would you like to see it. Liz says yes, after a moment's thought. Vicki says she'll get it for her, and after a moment's hesitation, Liz goes up with her, preceding her to the stairs.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost exactly - the only difference is it adds a "that," as in "I'm positive that you're wrong."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 03, 2021, 05:02:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #152 (1967) - Laura - 'No, no, I... Well, you're right. You're right, of course I-- I MUST be more careful.'

From "#0152/0153: Robservations 09/06/01:"
You see, says Laura, there really is a logical explanation for all these so-called strange happenings since my arrival. Yes, but the fact remains that I've been ordered to keep you away from David, says Vicki--I've come here to ask you to help me. Why? asks Laura. Because David will be the one who suffers if there is an unpleasant situation, says Vicki. But this whole thing is an unpleasant situation to me, says Laura, and very painful. Will you help me? asks Vicki. Laura evades the question by saying the water must be burning. She suddenly sticks her hand into the fire. Look out, you'll burn yourself! warns Vicki. Laura draws back quickly. Oh, no, she says...well, you're right, of course, I must be more careful.
She rubs her unharmed hand. Vicki gazes at her oddly.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote nearly perfectly...

On the other hand (so to speak  [easter_wink]) Laura does not say that the water must be "burning," which would be a ridiculous remark. What she says, of course, is that the water must be "boiling." No doubt Robin had Vicki's warning in mind about Laura burning herself and accidentally jumped the gun.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 04, 2021, 12:02:00 AM »
Perhaps my favorite moment with regard to the scene above is the expression on Laura's face -

- once she realizes she REALLY screwed up in front of Vicki...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 04, 2021, 11:24:24 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #178 (1967) - Roger - 'So then you leap to the brilliant conclusion that it MUST be something apart from this world!'

From "#0178/0179: Robservations 09/25/01: Tales From the Crypt"
As for you, Roger rants to Carolyn, I've let you play mistress of this house long enough--the time has come for it to stop. If you'll just let me explain, she begins. There's nothing to explain! says Roger. It has nothing to do with you! she says. Anything that goes on in this house has to do with me, he says. I simply didn't think you'd understand about Dr. Guthrie's work, she says, walking to the piano. But why didn't you try to explain it to me instead of going behind my back? he demands, how do you think your mother would have felt about a thing like this? In my mother's present condition, says Carolyn, I had to make the decision as to what was best for her--there was no other alternative. Why didn't you give the doctors in Boston a chance? he asks. The doctors had a chance! says Carolyn--they could find nothing wrong with her in this world! So you leap to the brilliant conclusion that it must be something apart from this world! accuses Roger. I don't know, says Carolyn, I'm willing to try anything that might help her. And if it harms Laura at the same time, so much the better, says Roger. Laura never entered my mind, says Carolyn. Laura has never been out of your mind, ever since you got it into your head that Burke threw you over because of her, says Roger.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost exactly - it's only missing the word "then," as is "So then"...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 05, 2021, 04:14:04 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #403 (1796) - Angelique - 'I MUST have eyes that follow him everywhere. I MUST have eyes that tell me everyone he sees.'

From "#0403/0404: Robservations 03/19/02: Barnabas Confronts His Witch-Wife"
Angelique is upset Barn had the nerve to leave her.  I must have eyes that follow him wherever he goes, to spy on him, she decides.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations may have paraphrased it, but at least it does reference the quote...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 06, 2021, 06:42:27 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #476 (1968) - Barnabas - 'She will enjoy making me suffer before she makes her big move, and that's why I MUST make my move now.'

From "#0475/0476: Robservations 05/09/02: Give Me Jeff Clark's Face!"
Barn says he understands Lang's reluctance to talk of his work, but doesn't feel Lang has concealed anything. Julia has one question--how will it free Barn from the curse? He can't tell her that without revealing the nature of the experiment. An operation? asks Julia. Yes, admits Barn, but the risk is very small. Julia is worried, she doesn't want him to go through with it--the risk is too great. I have the opportunity to be a free man! says Barnabas. Or a dead one, counters Julia, and permanently, this time.
That might not be so bad, says Barn (oh, that's sad!), and she reminds him that his life has taken a better turn in the past week--you can go on this way indefinitely. No, says Barn, Angelique is here to place the curse on me, and won't be in any hurry--she'll want to watch me suffer, so I must make my move--if I wait any longer, it will be too late. Julia gazes at him with love and concern.
[/spoiler]

Again the Robservations may have paraphrased it, but at least it does reference the quote...

As an aside, back in '88 when I was watching DS in syndication, the part of this scene that surrounds the quote was used as a promo by the station airing DS. The promo began with Julia saying "In the past week your life has taken a change for the better" and ended with Barnabas saying "If I wait any longer, it will be too late...too late," and the music stinger swelling.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 06, 2021, 10:34:16 PM »
As an aside, this ep contains a continuity error. Not that those are anything new on DS. But the one here is sort of amusing because, when first seen in Ep #645 the skeleton David and Amy find in Quentin's room has a full head of hair, but when seen in Ep #646 it's completely bald.

But maybe we're not supposed to notice that. DC, for one, probably thought everyone in the audience would be too dumb to notice.  [snow_rolleyes]

To be fair, people weren't binge-watching back then, and with these episodes being separated by a weekend most people would hardly remember such details. Now, if there had been a noticeable blooper in the scene, such as an obvious line flubbing, scenery mishap, etc., then the audience would certainly have taken notice!  [easter_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 08, 2021, 06:42:21 PM »
 [pointing-up]  The funny thing is back in the day photos of the wigged version were circulated in various publications. One was even the third Gold Key DS comic. It appeared on both the front and back covers as well as inside. In fact, there were a few publicity photos from Ep #645 featured in that issue...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 08, 2021, 06:56:04 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #627 (1968) - Julia - 'Of course he would-- it's understandable. He MUST be very upset that no one notified him when his brother died.'

From "Robservations 8/29/02 - #626/627 - Murder!"
Julia comes in to see Joe; when she spots Chris, she lets loose with a blood-curdling scream, "Tom, no!" She covers her mouth in horror. Joe assures her it's Tom's brother, Chris. Chris apologizes for startling her. Julia heaves a sigh of relief and introduces herself. Ah, you were one of the people I wanted to speak to, says Chris. I don't have the time, says Julia--I must return to Collinwood. He offers to take her there so they can talk on the way. Julia asks Chris to wait outside, but before he goes, Chris tells Joe he wants to speak to him at greater length. After Chris leaves, Julia asks Joe why he didn't tell her Tom had a brother. Joe explains he didn't figure he'd show up. Julia feels he must be very upset he wasn't notified of Tom's death. Joe says he tried, but Chris isn't an easy man to locate.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations may have cut half of the quote and paraphrased what it does include, but it does reference the quote...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 09, 2021, 01:58:20 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #718 (1897) - Jamison - 'Silver. It MUST be with silver.'

From "Robservations 11/7/02 - #718/719 - Barnabas & Angelique in the Tower"
Where on the doll should I put the pin? Quentin asks Jamison--above the heart? No, says Jamison, seemingly in a trance now. Quentin suggests another point. No, says Jamison, not there. Silver--it must be with silver, Says Jamison. Quentin takes the cane--with this silver? He presses the wolf's head against the clay doll, which he's placed on the table.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Quentin - 'I MUST fight him in any way that I can') was back on April 15th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 09, 2021, 06:20:07 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #977 (1970) - Chris - 'Or even what happened. I-- I presume Bruno MUST have drugged me in some way.'

From "Robservations 6/11/03 - #976-977 - Tragic Attack"
Someone knocks. Roger is at door, asking for Chris--I want to talk to him--how is Chris feeling? Not very well--he had a bad night, she says, I was here, looking after him. Yes, says Roger, I imagine he did have a bad night, but I still want to see him. Chris comes out.  Can we be alone? asks Roger. Sabrina leaves the room. You look much better, comments Roger--I'm glad of that. They sit at the table. I was feeling guilty because I couldn't get you medical help, explains Roger--I would have, but then all of a sudden, you were gone from the room, it was incredible. I don't remember leaving or getting here, or what happened, says Chris--I presume Bruno must have drugged me in some way.  Do you know why Carolyn was there? asks Roger.  I don't know, says Chris. Bruno can't help anyone, anymore, says Roger--I suppose you weren't entirely displeased he was killed, the way he treated you?  I'm never happy to hear about anyone being killed, says Chris.  Horrible thing, says Roger, he was killed by an unnatural animal.  Sabrina told me, says Chris.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote pretty well...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Chris - 'Roger, whatever you may have felt about Angelique, you MUST remember that Quentin is bringing Mrs. Collins back) was back on December 25th ([ChristmaS15]). And it certainly wasn't planned but it's funny that in each instance the different band of time's Chris is interacting with the corresponding band of time's Roger.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 10, 2021, 04:20:47 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #1003 (1970PT) - Angelexis - 'You will feel cold, but you MUST NOT struggle to look away. You can't now, Fred. You can't. Kiss me. Kiss me..'

From "#1002/1003: Robservations 06/30/03: Cold Violence"
Hannah returns with Fred (a.k.a. bullseye) and sternly says, I'll be upstairs if you want me, Alexis. I was coming back to Collin(g)wood, he reminds her.  This is better here, she says. He notes, you're cold, and embraces her, kidding her forehead.  I feel so much warmer in your arms--look at me, she demands, staring into his eyes. You're so beautiful, he croons, ever since I first saw you... "You've known you would hold me like this," she finishes. I sure hoped so, he says, but is suddenly distracted and looks away from her.  No, don't turn your face away, look at me, she orders. What's wrong with me? he wonders, I feel so cold!  She draws him back into her embrace, insisting, look at me.  He does. This is the way it will be now, she says--you will feel cold, but you must not struggle to look away--you can't now, Fred, you can't. "Kiss me! Kiss me!" She draws his lips to hers, deepening the kiss.  He holds her closely, feeling his own life slipping away. His eyes fly open wide; he tries to pull away, but she holds him, draining his life.  When she finally lets him go, he falls to the floor, dead. Hannah! calls Angelique--I'm  all right now. Hannah examines poor Fred--how cold she is, he mutters.
Yes, says Angelique, and I am warm again! She touches her cheek. He's dead, says Hannah--it's as if he's been dead for hours!  "That's the way it must be now," says Angelique, not at all sorry about it, "this is the way I will live now--and when Quentin comes to join me, he will live this way, too--for eternity!"
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

Somehow I think the pronouns were accidentally switched in the last sentence before the screen caps. Fred was already dead so he couldn't have been muttering.  [easter_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 12, 2021, 06:16:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #1068 (1995) - Quentin - 'Gone. Yes, they're all gone. Everyone is gone. She MUSTN'T come back here. She MUST never come back to this place. They're all gone.'

From "#1068/1069: Robservations 08/18/03: More Death"
She was here! calls Quentin from the stairway-has she gone?-where did she go, I've got to find her. I thought you were resting, says Julia. How did you know she was here? asks Barnabas-did you see her? Quentin looks around eagerly, then grins. Lilac, can't you smell them? he asks. Yes, the scent of lilac, agrees Julia. Whenever she was near, says Quentin, giggling a little, the air was such fragrance. Who? asks Barnabas. Oh, Daphne, says Quentin, as though that explains everything. Who is Daphne? asks Barnabas impatiently. Quentin tilts his head to one side and says, "Yes, who's Daphne?" You mean you don't know? asks Julia. I saw her a few times, says Quentin, so cold, but so beautiful-such sorrow in her eyes-maybe Carolyn knows, he says, getting right in Barnabas' face, sounding like a little boy, huh?--I'd give anything to see her again-will she come back? I don't know, says Barnabas, clearly nonplussed by this. Please let me see her again! begs Quentin-Daphne! --Daphne, why are you so cruel, Daphne? By now, he's talking to the air. Julia goes over and touches his arm-you've got to rest, she urges. Oh, no, I've got to find her, protests Quentin, putting his hand over Julia's. She's gone! says Julia. Gone, yes, they're all gone, says Quentin loonily, they're all gone, she must not come back, here, never, they're all gone... Julia leads the babbling man upstairs.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations does a bit of paraphrasing with the quote but references it pretty well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 13, 2021, 05:32:14 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #1126 (1840) - Tim Braithwaite - 'This MUST be worth a fortune. If I could just get my hands on it!'

From "#1125/1126: Robservations 09/29/03: A Headless Body; a Jeweled Mask"
Aloud, Tim says, "This must be worth a fortune--if I could just get my hands on it!"  He again grabs hold of the cross.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote absolutely perfectly...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Lamar - 'My father's last remains MUST be found!) was back on May 21st. And the second (Lamar - 'I tell you we MUST continue! We MUST discover the evil!!) was back on February 13th.