Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118304 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #885 on: August 17, 2021, 02:36:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #211 (1967) - Caretaker - 'Oh, but someone was here. The lock was broken, it MUST have been him.'

From "#0210/0211: Robservations 10/18/01: The Courtly Cousin From England"
Naomi Collins, wasn't she the woman who was supposed to be buried with all her jewelry? Asks Jason. That's the question HE asked me, says the caretaker, the man who was here last night. What did you tell him? asks Jason. I can't answer anymore questions, says the caretaker. I don't think you have to, says Jason, and everything seems perfectly OK in here, a little damp perhaps, but that can't be helped. Can't you feel anything in the air? Demands the caretaker. I can't even feel the air, says Jason--now tell me, where did this young man go after he left here? I don't know, I didn't see him, says the caretaker. Isn't it possible he wasn't here in the first place? Asks Jason. Oh, but someone was here, the lock was broken, it must have been him, insists the caretaker.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And this is the fourth quote from this ep (tying with Eps #2, #212, #365 and #678 for the most quotes so far from a single ep). The first (Caretaker - 'You TELL him he MUST never come here again') was back on June 20th of 2020, the second (Caretaker - 'Oh no, the living MUST LEAVE. They MUST NEVER COME here again') was back on January 3rd, and the third (Caretaker - 'Someone was in here. Something happened here. We MUSTN'T STAY') was back on January 27th.  Apparently we love quoting the caretaker from this ep!  [easter_wink] [easter_cheesy]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 17, 2021, 06:35:27 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up, MB.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 18, 2021, 02:00:12 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #40 (1966) - Burke - 'My heavens, I think I MUST have lost it, too.'

From "#0039/0040: Robservations 06/14/01: Confrontations!"
Collinsport Inn - Carolyn enters through the screen door and joins Burke at his table in the restaurant. I'm here, she says, grinning. So you are, he says, putting down his paper--I was beginning to think you wouldn't show up. I had to get my ring back, didn't I? she asks. Your ring--what ring? He asks. Oh, Burke, she mock-chastises, the ring I left here earlier this morning. Yes, yes, your ring! He says, checking his pockets, where did I put it?--I think I must have lost it, too--unless... he takes her purse and opens it. What are you doing? she asks. I'm looking for a most elusive and important little ring, he says, taking it out of her purse and handing it to her. She makes a face and takes it back--all right, so I had it with me, she pouts--big deal. Good old Uncle Roger, says Burke. I tried, anyway, she says. I knew you would, he says--I've been waiting for you.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 19, 2021, 02:06:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #461 (1968) - Barnabas - 'She MUST talk with me alone, or she will never speak again.'

From "#0461/0462: Robservations 04/29/02: 1968 - Julia Sports a New 'Do"
When Carolyn sees Barnabas in the drawing room, he orders her to divert Julia tomorrow evening--he doesn?t care how. Carolyn says she isn't sure she can, but Barnabas insists that he be with Vicki alone. He was tonight, she points out. Yes, but not long enough, he says--I'll do what I must, Barnabas continues-- Vicki must speak with him alone, or she'll never speak again.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote fairly perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 20, 2021, 01:56:05 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #1181 (1841) - Joanna - 'But surely after she met you, she MUST have realized you couldn't harm anyone.'

From "#1181/1182: Robservations 11/23/03: Samantha's Astounding Declaration"
do you know that your sister's at Collinwood?  This genuinely surprises Joanna, who says, "Daphne, living at Collinwood...I had no idea!  She's been there several months, says Quentin.  But she didn't know the Collinses, says Joanna, what made her come there?  The fact that you were dead, says Quentin, she thought I did it--she came back to avenge your death.  Surely after she met you, says Joanna, she must have realized you couldn't harm anyone.  Quentin gazes at her through the bars--that's true, he agrees--things changed after that, quite a bit.  I want to see Daphne as soon as possible, says Joanna.  Before you do, we must have a long talk, says Quentin.  I know, darling, she coos, we have so much talking to do--I'm sure so much happened while I was thought dead.  Yes, agrees Quentin, and several things have changed (such as, I'm in love with your little sister).
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Charles - 'I am aware of the dangers involved, but I say we MUST use the Head of Judah Zachary!') was back on August 2nd.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 21, 2021, 12:26:07 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #1071 (1970) - Barnabas - 'You MUSTN'T be afraid of us.'

From "#1070/1071: Robservations - 08/19/03: Betrayal"
The young girl with long blond hair (the spitting image of Carrie from 1995) looks askance at Barnabas and Julia. The latter rises from the chair. Barnabas tells the blond, I don't know how you helped us, but I want to thank you. Helped you? demands the girl, thoroughly confused.
Don't be afraid of us, says Barn. Who are you-what are you doing here? the girl asks. Her dress isn't the same, Julia points out to Barnabas. That's right, he agrees--she can't be the same girl we saw in the playroom. The blond petulantly says, I'm going to tell Mrs. Stoddard. Wait, says Barnabas, taking her hand, you mustn't be afraid of us, please believe me. WHO ARE YOU? she asks again, shrilly. Finally, Barnabas introduces himself and Julia. I've heard them talk about you, she says.
[/spoiler]

And apparently a big part of the Summer of '70 is either Hallie telling herself or someone else telling her some variation of not to be scared:

Saturday's quote:
Ep #1096 (1970) - David - 'You MUSTN'T be frightened, Hallie. You MUSTN'T be.'

And considering this quote and the one from this past June 12th -

1970: Ep #1081 (1970) - Hallie - 'I MUSTN'T be afraid,
I MUSTN'T!'

- the show definitely wanted to stress that Hallie shouldn't ever be scared.  [easter_wink]  [easter_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 22, 2021, 06:12:40 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #1007 (1970PT) - Hoffman - 'Perhaps I'm back to make things ready for you, as I always did when you were away. That is what I MUST believe.'

From "#1006/1007: Robservations 07/02/03: Gladstone's Blackmail: PT From the Other Side"
Hoffman gazes up at Angelique's painting and says, I thought, when I walked into the house, that "You would be here--I felt it so strongly when I was in Boston, I left. I have returned, that's what I thought, but you've not--but I wasn't just wishing it, I FELT it, I really did!  Perhaps I'm back to make things ready for you--as I always did when you were away.
--that is what I must believe." Behind her, Angelique, who has entered the room and overheard her last few statements--is stunned.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 23, 2021, 01:58:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #953 (1970) - Jeb - 'Staring at me--gloating! He's gonna tell her! ... We're gonna burn it--we MUST burn the body!'

From "Robservations 5/23/03 - #952-953"
Jeb has dug up Paul's gave; the coffin is out of the ground. Of course Stoddard will be there, insists Megan--you're just being hysterical--you won't even open it, she taunts. He's working against me, wails Jeb. Of course he is, says Megan, because you killed him, and it's your own fault!--Jeb, let's not fight, she begs, this is ridiculous, all of it!  We'll see, says Jeb, opening the coffin. He is! exclaims Jeb--he knows!  Inside lies Paul Stoddard--grinning, eyes wide open. He's smiling! cries Megan.  Staring at me, says Jeb--gloating, he's going to tell her!--I'm going to burn it--we must burn the body!
Paul smiles up at them.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly, just a switch of one pronoun...

And to say Jeb looked crazed when he delivered the quote -

- would be an understatement!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 24, 2021, 03:08:01 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #883 (1897) - Petofi - 'You are right--you're absolutely right. It is you I MUST deal with.'

From "Robservations 4/8/03 - #882/883 - Walking the Floor With Q; Fire!"
I'm here with Quentin's regrets, says Barnabas--he's left Collinsport. He got away! exults Charity, I'm so glad for him! Left Collinsport? asks Petofi. Yes, he's finally escaped you, says Barnabas, but no matter how angry you are, you can't make this girl pay for it--let her go and deal with me, nothing will be accomplished by killing her. Petofi exhales smoke, chuckles, and agrees--you are right--it is you I must keep--Charity has an excellent chance of surviving the present situation if things go as I expect.  Untie Charity, he orders Tate--I've been figuring on using Quentin's body because I know he exists in the future, but now Quentin is gone and I must resign myself to not seeing him until I get to 1969. You don't exist in 1969, protests Barnabas. But I will, exults Petofi--"In your body." Barnabas' mouth drops open--No!
The solution has been under my nose all the time, and I haven't seen it until now, says Petofi, but my eyes aren't what they used to be.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote rather oddly - it starts off like its going to be perfect but then it goes off the rails at the end...

And one of the best things about Petofi is the devilish smile he exhibits whenever he's -

- plotting something truly terrible!! Fabulous!!

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Garth Blackwood - 'You aided the prisoner years ago, you aided my murderer--now you MUST die!') was back on August 30th of 2020, and the second (Charles - 'I have a message to take to Quentin and I MUST get it to him. You see, if Quentin is not there within the hour, Charity Trask will die') was back on December 8th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 25, 2021, 12:44:12 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #654 (1969) - Chris - 'There MUST be something stronger--there has to be!'

From "Robservations 9/19/02 - #654/655 - Joe Unhinged"
The clock strikes 5:30.  Chris looks outside. I must get out of there, he says. Julia comes in and sends Maggie up to Liz. Chris complains to Julia that those sleeping pulls didn't work. He took all 3, and they didn't work. She knows of nothing stronger, but he insists there has to be.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations directly references the second part of the quote but references the first part indirectly though Julia's remark...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 26, 2021, 12:02:54 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #630 (1968) - Nicholas - 'And whatever stops her, it MUST be arranged so that it can never be traced to me. Never.'

From "Robservations 9/4/02 - #630/631 - Barnabas & Vicki Try to Reason With Nick"
I am giving you the chance to break off with her before I go to see Maggie, she says. I think you recognize honesty and love, he says, and I can't stop you going to Maggie, but after you finish talking to me, Maggie will come to me, and I will make her forget what you said---without using any powers. He helps her into her coat and bids her good night. Vicki tells him she isn't going to see Maggie yet--if Nicholas truly loves her, he will think about it, and will see it is impossible. After the leaves, he furiously smashes something into the fireplace, saying that it would have been that easy--she could have left and not remembered even coming here! Why didn't he do it? Maggie Evans, he says, makes me human--but Vicki can never be allowed to go to Maggie!--whatever stops her must be arranged so it can never be traced to him, never. But there IS a way. He has depended on his own powers for so long, he forgot--there is another way! He races from the room and down into the basement. He counts the flagstones and begins to pry one of them up with a crowbar.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly - again, just a switch of one pronoun...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 27, 2021, 04:24:57 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #664 (1796) - Angelique - 'I MUST remain in this century now, as a punishment for mistakes I made in the past--mistakes I will never make again.'

From "Robservations 9/26/02 - #664/665 - Farewell, Vicki; Barnabas in Deep Trouble"
How did you return to this time? asks Barn. Ang explains--I must remain in this century now, as punishment for my past mistakes--mistakes I will never make again. He frowns at her, then asks how she found out about him--about his return to this century. Never mind, I found out, and I know WHY you returned, she says--to save your precious Vicki from hanging. Barnabas assumes she's there to stop him. No, she says, I'm here to help you. He doesn't believe her. I have the power to save Vicki, she says. Barnabas wonders why, given that Angelique hates Vicki. She admits--I do hate her, but I will do it if you will make a bargain with me--I must remain in this time forever, and I want you to stay with me--and never make any attempt to return to the future. Why do you want me to stay? He asks. So we can be together, she says. "After all that's happened, you still want me?" he asks. Replies Ang, "I'm your wife. Husbands and wives should be together."
[/spoiler]

I have to say I always love it whenever there's an instance on the show where someone asks a question where the answer is something they don't want to get into so the question is completely glossed over with an answer like "Never mind." [b003] (Maybe we should do a slideshow of those - surely the show has got to come close to 365 instances of it.)

And it's funny that both yesterday's and today's quotes deal with things never happening, yet never was a very short time in both instances!  [lghy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 28, 2021, 01:46:17 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #296 (1967) - Julia - 'You MUST cooperate with me. You have no choice.'

From "#0295/0296: Robservations 12/21/01: Julia Protects Her Vampire!"
He has no choice but to cooperate, she says, and leaves him, agreeing with her, like she's a queen and he a lowly subject.
[/spoiler]

As has been previously mentioned, this ep falls into the period where the Robservations aren't all that detailed. There are several "must" lines during just this scene so once again I'm not going to go into detail explaining the circumstances surrounding the quote as I normally would. Though at least in this instance the quote is referenced even if it's not directly...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Barnabas - 'Tomorrow night, you MUST die') was back on June 28th, and the second (Julia - 'I know what I'm doing and you MUST trust me. And no harm MUST come to Maggie Evans') was back on July 14th.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 28, 2021, 11:25:51 PM »
The scene above is one of my earliest memories of DS, when my sister's friends watched, and I would pass through the living room and catch a glimpse. This one stopped me dead in my tracks.

Yes, that scene really got my attention. Especially because it was the very first episode of DS that I ever saw! Although it took me a while to figure out what was going on in the storylines (I remember being puzzled, trying to figure out where these guys named Jason and Willie came from and what they were doing) the series must have been captivating to me because it was four weeks later that there was the out-of-left-field moment when Willie opened the coffin in the mausoleum. Needless to say, then I was permanently hooked on the show.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 29, 2021, 02:32:24 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #186 (1967) - Vicki - 'Now...this circle MUST remain unbroken no matter what.'

From "#0186/0187: Robservations 10/01/01: Get David Outta Here!"
We have to sit very quietly, she says--put your hands flat on the table--we have to make an unbroken circle of our fingers. Sam does so, David hesitates. What's going to happen next? asks David. If we're lucky, she says, Josette will speak to us, says Vicki. Speak to us? he asks. I hope so, she says, try not to be afraid. I won't be afraid, he says, and adds his hands to theirs. This circle must remain unbroken no matter what, she instructs--clear your minds of everything but Josette--concentrate on Josette Collins--we have to repeat, over and over and over again in our minds, Josette Collins...Josette Collins...Josette Collins. It won't work, insists Sam, not without Dr. Guthrie. Please concentrate! implores Vicki. They do. Josette, says Vicki, we're calling you, Josette, come to us, Josette, come to us, Josette. David begins to moan. David! cries Sam. Leave him alone! orders Vicki--concentrate on Josette. Come to us! calls Vicki, as David continues to moan.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote nearly perfectly...

And I love how this seance is shot -

- similarly to the first one -

- but then both eps were directed by Lela Swift.