Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118616 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #1530 on: April 10, 2023, 03:42:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Eps #459 & #661 (1796) - Joshua - 'The curse MUST be ended!'

The reason that quote is attributed to two different eps is because it was originally said in Ep #459 -

From "#0459/0460: Robservations 04/26/02: Finale"
Uncomfortable, Joshua suggests he's incapable of loving anyone. It could be your salvation, says Barnabas--you can't love me, so you won't be a victim of the curse. (As if he isn't already a victim--he's lost his sister, daughter, wife and, for all intents and purposes, his son!) The curse must be ended, insists Joshua, and he'll do it. He can't allow this to go on any longer, anymore people to die.

- as well as in Ep #661 as part of a flashback when Barnabas was explaining to Julia about the events of his last day in 1796 -

From "Robservations 9/24/02 - #660-661 - A Trip Back to the Past"
Barnabas continues telling Julia that for his father, the agony of that terrible night had only begun--he still had to face the task of disposing of me. Joshua insists the curse must be ended. Barnabas tells him it cannot be ended, but Joshua says it will, and he will do it--I can't allow more people to die
[/spoiler]

And it's interesting that the Robservations for Ep #661 references a bit of detail ("Barnabas tells him it cannot be ended, but Joshua says it will") that the one for Ep #459 doesn't...

And this is the third quote from these eps. The first was (Joshua - 'You have caused enough destruction. You MUST NOT cause more') back on May 4th of 2021, and the second (Joshua - 'I MUST destroy you!') was back on August 27th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: April 10, 2023, 05:58:11 PM »
When I was getting the screen capture for today's quote I discovered something disturbing about the DVD version of Ep #582. Perhaps many are already aware of it - I'm pretty sure I wasn't. And I did s search of the forum to see if maybe I'd forgotten about an old post about it, but I didn't come up with anything. Perhaps my discovery isn't a widely discussed topic or perhaps not even known by many fans. But when I highlight today's quote in about two days I will explain all...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: April 11, 2023, 03:24:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #639 (1968) - Amy - 'It MUST be very old.'

From "Robservations 9/10/02 - #639/640 - Ghosts and Werewolves, Oh My!"
The West Wing, filled with cobwebs, old furniture and portraits - David, flashlight in hand, leads Amy through the West Wing. He shows her the portrait of Thaddeus Collins, alive during the Civil War. They pass a door and David tells her it's a storage room, perfect for exploring. They go in. The room is filled with even more cobwebs (plus a brass bed that will play a big role in future episodes of DS). Amy pronounces this room exciting, with lots of secrets. David says this room is supposed to be haunted. Do you think it is? asks Amy excitedly. No, says David--just a legend--nothing has ever happened to me in this room--another room, down the corridor, has a secret passageway. Amy remarks on how lucky he is, living here. She spots a 19th century telephone on the floor and picks it up.
David suggests a game--the kind that first pops into your head. A pretend game? asks Amy. David suggests they pretend all the junk isn't there and it's the same as it was when the West Wing was first opened. And see the people who lived there, too, suggests Amy. If we can't see them, perhaps we could talk to them--on the phone they found!--we can pretend to talk to someone who lived in the past.
[/spoiler]

Despite it containing a great deal of detail, the Robservations doesn't reference the quote, but Amy delivers it as she's picking up the phone...

And this is the fourth quote from this ep. The first (Julia - 'Amy, you MUST realize that I am responsible for you') was back on September 6th, the second (Julia - 'If you saw it, Mrs. Stoddard, there MUST be some explanation for it') was back on December 21st, and the third (Amy - 'It's bigger than any house I've ever seen. It MUST have a hundred rooms') was back on February 5th. So that all means that Ep #639 has joined the club with Eps #2, #3, #42, #44, #133, #195, #208, #211, #212, #296, #300, #308, #365, #377, #384, #426, #449, #450, #466, #479, #481, #543, #544, #550, #609, #629, #646, #655, #678, #709, #727, #742, #883, #915, #977, #993, #1057, #1064, #1111 and #1197. However, not only recall that Eps #42, #208, #211, #300, #377, #384, #449, #466, #646, #678, #709, #727, #977, #993, #1057 & #1111 have five quotes, but Eps #727 & #993 have six quotes...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: April 11, 2023, 07:22:20 PM »
 [pointing-up]  I hadn't realized until I scrolled through the quotes on Sunday that there was a semi-theme -

April 9, 2023:

Ep #639 (1968) - Amy - 'It MUST be very old.'

April 9, 2020:

Ep #891 (1969) - Megan - 'It MUST be incredibly old.'

- if I had realized when I picked this year's quote that it was extremely similar to the one from 2020, I probably would have picked a different one for this time around. But hey, I suppose there's absolutely nothing wrong with a semi-theme.  [ghost_nowink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: April 12, 2023, 01:34:12 AM »
Just why the storyline date for today's quote says -

(1841PT[-1967])

-will all be explained in about two days...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: April 12, 2023, 02:50:04 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #582 (1968) - Angelique - 'You MUST not fight me, Jeff. You MUST not.'

From "Robservations 7/30/02 - #582/583 - Willie Takes Matters Into His Own Hands"
Ang finds Jeff in the woods and tells him she wants to try the experiment again. He demands she not touch him and wonders why she is that she can just disappear and reappear this way. She's not human, he says, holding his head--she's a demon! When I'm with you, I'm real, she says, reaching out for him--you must meet me tomorrow night. Jeff says he can't help her--he's free of the experiment now and doesn't have to go back to the lab. She is adamant--they will do this experiment so she can be the life force. He dodges her, but she says they won't fail--and she will answer all his questions when it's over. She holds out her hand and insists he take it; she says it feels human, doesn't it?
You must not fight me, you must not! She bites his throat.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote nearly perfectly...

And there's more to come about this ep...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: April 13, 2023, 08:06:45 PM »
[pointing-up]  As I said the other day, when I was getting the screen capture for Ep #582's quote I discovered something disturbing about the DVD version of Ep #582. And actually it wasn't until after I noticed that the Robservations said -

... she says it feels human, doesn't it? You must not fight me, you must not! She bites his throat.

Julia assures Barnabas Jeff did no harm. She can't believe he meant to destroy the body, but Barnabas is sure. ...

- but when I'd watched the DVD I did not see Angelique bite Jeff, nor did I see in the scene that follows that Julia tells Barnabas that Jeff did no harm. However, the funny thing is, as you'll see when you play this video, it does look like something could have been cut:

So, what I decided to do next was check to see what that section of the version of Ep #582 that I'd taped from the Sci-Fi Channel looked like and sure enough there is more to it. Not much more - only 2 seconds - but more:

As we can see it shows Angelique beginning to move in on Jeff and Julia saying Barnabas' name, and all that proved that someone at MPI had indeed made some sort of cut to the Master Tape of Ep #582 for the DVD version - and it is interesting that it was a bit of a deeper cut than Jim Pierson had made to it for the Sci-Fi broadcast.

So next I decided to check to see what that section of the version of Ep #582 that I'd taped back in '80s syndication looked like and that proved to be most interesting because it's 15 seconds longer:

The funny thing is back in '87 I most probably thought there had been some sort of problem with the station's broadcast and never even realized the disturbances in the video were due to glitches in the Master Tape for the ep. And those were certainly major glitches. But even so, I was surprised that the cut had been made to the version of Ep #582 that I'd watched on DVD because I could have sworn that, after there was a big backlash about cuts on some of the earlier DVDs, MPI has promised to go back and restore the cuts and offer them to fans who wanted replacements, and I also could have sworn that MPI had said that those restored versions were to be the ones included in the Limited Edition boxed set, which is where the copy of the DVD I watched came from. But if they did include some of the restored DVDs, obviously they didn't do so when it came to disc 1 of Collection 10, if they had ever even restored Ep #582.

Now, you're probably confused as to how the Robservations could have summarized the complete ending of the Jeff and Angelique scene as well as the complete beginning of the Julia and Barnabas scene. Well, that's because I recall Robin saying that she was using the MPI VHS tapes to do her summaries. So that means that anyone who's held on the their copy of Volume 70 has the complete version of Ep #582 that seemingly no fans who only own disc 1 of Collection 10 of the DVDs do have...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: April 14, 2023, 04:30:12 PM »
 [pointing-up]  This whole business with Ep #582 got me to wondering just when did MPI start adding to the beginning of the DVDs that they were not editing the Master Tapes. Well quite interestingly and quite conveniently it was on the disc 1 of Collection 11:

And it didn't take long to find out why the notice was placed on that disk because Ep #618 contains these glitches -

- which are nearly as bad as the ones Ep #582 has. (And it's very interesting that when it comes to the broadcast of Ep #618 on the Sci-Fi channnel, those glitches were completely edited out -

- but then how often have we lamented the changes that certain someone made to the eps when they were shown on Sci Fi?!  [easter_angry] [easter_rolleyes])

The thing I'm now wondering is with 400 eps having been released in the Collection series before Collection 11 came out, just how many other eps might have been edited on DVD? It was by pure accident that I discovered the edit made to Ep #582 because I just happened to pick a "must" quote that occurs close to the edit - but how many others might we have as of yet never noticed?

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: April 14, 2023, 07:17:52 PM »
Carrie Stokes isn't one of my favorite characters but that screen cap of her in today's slideshow is absolutely gorgeous. Right down to the bonnet!
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: April 14, 2023, 08:06:09 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #1195 (1841PT[-1967]) - Quentin - 'Now, I MUST admit I've never gotten along particularly well with my family, but it's the only family that I've got.'

From "#1195/1196: Robservations 12/05/03: Angelique, Powerless?; Executioner's Ax"
I don't believe a word of it! declares Catherine.  I think you should at least find out what's going on in this house before you decide to come and live here, says Daphne.  I don't intend to let anything upset my marriage plans, says Catherine--and I certainly won't go asking the family embarrassing questions about a locked room!
Dashing, handsome PT Quentin joins the ladies, curtly informing Catherine, I think you just made a wise decision.  How long have you been standing there? asks Catherine.  Long enough to be disturbed by what I heard, he says.  I'm sorry, says Catherine.  You should be, says Quentin--Catherine, Morgan wants to see you downstairs--something about wedding arrangements, I believe.  Catherine excuses herself and leaves the room.  I want to go with my sister, says Daphne.  Stay right here, insists Quentin.  It's all right, I'm not going to hurt her, Quentin assures Catherine.  I've been gone for seven years, Daphne, says Quentin--do you know why?  Yes, she says, you were convicted of manslaughter and have been in prison.  That's right, he says--I got into a fight with a man and killed him--because he was spreading stories about my family--the same kind of stories Ezra Robinson is telling you--he was trying to make my family look like a pack of fools--I must admit I've never gotten along particularly well with my family, but it's the only family that I've got--and I don't like to hear stories or so-called legends about that--and I don't like to hear them slandered--do I make myself absolutely clear to you?  You do, she assures him--I'm sorry for what happened.  All right, he says, smiling, it's all forgotten
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first, which also happens to be from this 1841PT scene (Quentin - 'You've, uh, grown up the past 5 years, and I MUST say I like what I see') was back on November 12th.

And to explain what "(1841PT[-1967])" means, obviously the "1841PT" part means that it's a quote from the 1841PT storyline, but the "-1967" part means that what really should have been featured is a quote from 1967's Blackmailing Liz-Introducing Barnabas-Kidnapping Maggie-Introducing Julia storyline. Midnite and I have have been mostly working off of a list I made back in 2020 shortly before this slideshow began. I'd searched the Robservations summaries and compiled a list of over 3500 "must" quotes from the various storylines. Though even with that large amount, some of the storylines had fewer quotes on the list than others, and the Blackmailing Liz-Introducing Barnabas-Kidnapping Maggie-Introducing Julia storyline is one of those. Midnite and I have pretty much exhausted all the quotes that were on the list and lately we've been hunting for new ones by scanning the actual eps. I suspect there are still quite a few to be found but who knows how many more we're going to find. So, rather than run out of quotes for that storyline, we're going to space them out so that quotes from that storyline will hopefully still appear over the entire fourth year of the slideshow. There are other storylines, like 1841PT, where we're never going to use all the possible "must" quotes because there are so many of them, so rather than use all the intended quotes for the Blackmailing Liz-Introducing Barnabas-Kidnapping Maggie-Introducing Julia storyline, only two (or even one if we're having a really hard time finding something) might show up in any given future month's slideshow, and to fill in for the intended ones not to appear, we'll substitute something from a storyline like 1841PT that still has a lot of potential quotes on the list. And you'll always know when a substitution has taken place because there will be some sort of notation like "(1841PT[-1967])" in the quote...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: April 15, 2023, 12:26:30 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #884 (1897) - Josette's Voice - 'Kitty Soames...it is Kitty Soames you MUST forget...'

From "Robservations 4/9/03 - #884-885 - Farewell, 1897; 1796 Redux"
Josette's room - Kitty holds up a candelabra and speaks to the portrait--whatever link exists between us must be broken now--I'm going away, and not coming back, to live my own life, and you can't come with me--please, let me be myself, I've got to forget Josette duPres. She replaces the candelabra and hears Josette speaking to her, "Kitty Soames...it is Kitty Soames you must forget..."  Barnabas enters the room--Kitty! He calls.  Don't come near me, demands Kitty, I can't fight both of you.  Then stop fighting and running away, urges Barnabas--that's why your bags were packed, you were running away? Yes, she admits.
[/spoiler]

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Lady Kitty - 'Why did I change my dress? I MUSTN'T! I know I MUSTN'T!') was back on October 31st ([BOO]) of 2020, and the second (Barnabas - 'You MUST paint another portrait of Quentin. ... You MUST!') was back on June 4th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: April 15, 2023, 03:11:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #609 (1968) - Carolyn - 'I MUSTN'T be nervous.'

From "Robservations 8/16/02 - #608/609 - Rivals For a Vampire's Affections"
Carolyn waits in Adam's room, leafing through a book. The place is still a mess, but looks a little better. She seems very nervous about this meeting, but tells herself not to be. She's glad Adam has found someone.
[/spoiler]

Even though this is not a Robservations with little detail, it doesn't reference the quote directly. But at least it does reference the quote's circumstances...

And this is the fifth quote from this ep. The first (Adam - 'Nicholas MUST know nothing about this--nothing!') was back on April 19th of 2020, the second (Eve - 'Adam, you MUST stop calling me. I hate it. I'm not your servant') was back on May 31st of 2021, the third (Carolyn - 'They MUSTN'T be caught getting into the house) was back on June 16th of 2021, and the fourth (Eve - 'We MUST be very clever. Nicholas cannot find us, ever.) was back on April 29th.

And this ep now shares the [milestone] of a fifth quote with Eps #42, #208, #211, #300, #377, #384, #449, #466, #646, #678, #709, #727, #977, #993, #1057 & #1111. However, recall that there's an even bigger because Eps #727 & #993 have six quotes...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: April 16, 2023, 04:46:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #1215 (1841PT) - Carrie - 'You MUST wait--Gabriel will find you.'

From "#1214/1215: Robservations 12/18/03: Not Gabriel!"
Give Carrie Gabriel's letter, instructs Morgan.  Flora does so.  Will this do? asks Morgan.  I think so, she says.  She opens the letter and gazes at it, concentrating, then seems to enter a trance.
Anxiously, Morgan asks, do you see Gabriel.  Carrie murmurs, "Trees...forest..."  Where? asks Morgan--near here?--can you tell that?  A stream, leading to the sea, says Carrie--trees are not tall, they are young; over the stream is a bridge, a rope bridge big enough for one.  Where is the bridge? asks Morgan.  It's so dim, I can hardly see it, she says--he stands there, staring at it...  Carrie, close to unconsciousness, comes out of the trance.  Flora is concerned for the girl's well-being.  Morgan, however, immediately asks Carrie, do you remember everything you said to us?  I think so, she says.  There's no rope bridge around here, points out Flora.  Wait a moment, says Gabriel, and leaves them.  I'm sorry for not helping you, says Carrie.  It's not your fault, Flora assures her.  Perhaps if Mr. Stiles were here...suggests Carrie.  Morgan returns with a small painting in his hands--this picture hung on the wall under the stairs, Mother, he says--the bridge over Biddleford Creek.  That's not far, says Carrie.  This is a rope bridge, says Morgan.  That was painted before I was born, says Flora, sometime in the last century--there's a stone bridge there now, you know that.  But this was there, Morgan insists, holding up the painting--is this the bridge, Carrie? Yes it is, she replies.  I'm going there, insists Morgan.  Flora protests.  I don't understand anything she's saying, says Morgan, but if she thinks Gabriel might be there, I'm going to go find him, whether you approve of it or not.  He starts to go.  No, says Carrie, Gabriel isn't there now--you must wait--Gabriel will find you--I don't know why I say that, but I know it's true.  She gazes at the letter again.
[/spoiler]

And unlike the 1841PT quote on this past Tuesday, this one is an intended quote for the slideshow.

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Justin's Ghost - 'The room. Someone MUST go into the room') was back on March 12th of 2021.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: April 16, 2023, 08:04:10 PM »
Carrie Stokes isn't one of my favorite characters but that screen cap of her in today's slideshow is absolutely gorgeous. Right down to the bonnet!

Yes, I was also happy with the way that screen capture turned out.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: April 17, 2023, 03:02:50 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #106 (1966) - Vicki - 'Well, when I told him what happened, he said that I was crazy--that no one would want to get into my room and that I MUST have imagined the whole thing.'

From "#0105/0106: Robservations 08/03/01: Caught Pen in Hand!"
What happened next? asks Patterson. I screamed, she says, and I heard the footsteps turn and run away--then Roger came in. What did he say to you? asks Patterson. When I told him what happened, says Vicki, turning to look at Garner again, he said that I was crazy--that no one would want to get into my room and I must have imagined the whole thing. Isn't it possible that you dreamed it all? asks Garner. No, it's not possible! cries Vicki, upset, someone tried to get into my room, I know that--and someone also tried to run me down on the road to Collinsport, I know that, too! All right, says Patterson, please try to calm down--Mr. Garner, I have warned you about interrupting for the last time! All right, says Garner.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote nearly perfectly...

And this is the fourth quote from this ep. The first (Sheriff Patterson - 'Well then whoever it was that was trying to get into your room MUST have had a key') was back on February 14th of 2020, the second (Carolyn - 'She MUST have a grudge against Uncle Roger!') was back on February 25th of 2022, and the third (Roger - 'Oh, I see what you're getting at. Our little governess MUST have told you that someone was trying to break into her room-- well it's ridiculous, she imagined the whole thing!') was back on December 11th. So that all means that Ep #106 has joined the club with Eps #2, #3, #42, #44, #133, #195, #208, #211, #212, #296, #300, #308, #365, #377, #384, #426, #449, #450, #466, #479, #481, #543, #544, #550, #609, #629, #639, #646, #655, #678, #709, #727, #742, #883, #915, #977, #993, #1057, #1064, #1111 and #1197. However, not only recall that Eps #42, #208, #211, #300, #377, #384, #449, #466, #609, #646, #678, #709, #727, #977, #993, #1057 & #1111 have five quotes, but Eps #727 & #993 have six quotes...