Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 117330 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2020, 04:48:00 PM »
I am loving the picture quotes with the word “MUST.”  That’s probably as oft-repeated as “I don’t understand,” or an actor repeating the last word of the previous actor’s line.

I'm glad you're enjoying the slideshow, Brian.  [snow_smiley]  I'm loving working it. And I totally agree using the word "must" is an often repeated practice on the show. In fact, I'm shocked at how many examples of it I'm discovering...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2020, 04:02:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #366 (1795) - Vicki - 'I MUST be having a dream.'

From "#0365/0366: Robservations 02/21/02 - - Welcome to 1795, Vicki!"
In her simple room, Barnabas asks Vicki where her luggage is, but all she's got is the Collins family history book--and she doesn't know how it or she got here! Barnabas calls her strange. This must be a nightmare, she says helplessly, shaking her head. He explains the Collinses have been called many things, but not the most nightmarish people in the Province of Maine. PROVINCE? wonders Vicki. He leaves her alone, suggesting she rest. All Vicki can think is that she's having a dream from which she can't awaken.
[/spoiler]

Interestingly, despite what Robservations indicates, in the actual show Vicki does not use the word "must" when she thinks she's having a nightmare, but quite obviously, even though Robservations doesn't indicate it, she does use "must" when she thinks she's dreaming...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2020, 03:50:20 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #937 (1970) - Jeb - 'David MUST understand that I can be cruel as well as kind.'

From "Robservations 5/13/03 - #936-937 - Barnabas Promises to Come Clean"
Just as Barnabas opens the door, David wheels in. Barnabas, surprised, asks what happened. "You!" says David, noticing Jeb. Yes, me, says Jeb--welcome!  Why did you want to hurt me? asks David--"Barnabas, he's the one-I was on my bicycle and he jumped out of the bushes!"  Nodding at David's cast, Barnabas demands, "You are responsible for this?" Yes, says Jeb, stopping when he realizes Barnabas is about to leap at him. "I can do what I want now," brags the Leviathan brat, adding, "David must understand that I can be cruel as well as kind." "THERE WAS NO NEED FOR YOU TO HARM THIS BOY!" cries Barnabas. Jeb smiles directly at David and says, David and I will be very close, just as we were when I was Michael and Alexander--it's important David understand this, very important. David's eyes are locked with Jeb's.
[/spoiler]

If only we could do a "Cheap, Insufferable Pig" slideshow - but, sadly, that's only said once by Roger...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2020, 05:15:48 AM »
Nice to see Robert Rodan and Craig Slocum featured today. Neither actor gets much discussion let alone positive attention from fans. Both were important figures in the infamous 1968 storyline, often criticized but because it was my first DS storyline, still my sentimental favorite (I now think of the PT 1970 storyline as the best of the Barnabas storylines with the most sophisticated writing, but even that had its moments... the original Laura Collins 1966-67 storyline was probably the finest ever produced on the show in terms of pacing and story coherence).

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2020, 04:28:42 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #609 (1968) - Adam - 'Nicholas MUST know nothing about this--nothing!'

From "Robservations 8/16/02 - #608/609 - Rivals For a Vampire's Affections"
Adam asks Harry to deliver a note to Carolyn for him. Harry remarks that Adam really DIGS her, but Adam insists she's only a friend. What about Eve and Nicholas? asks Harry. Adam sternly tells him Nicholas must not know about this letter
[/spoiler]

And once again Robservations paraphrases the quote a bit differently...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2020, 05:22:01 PM »
Nice to see Robert Rodan and Craig Slocum featured today.

Originally I'd wanted to use something different. With regard to Harry in Ep #612, Robservations says
he must do everything Nicholas tells him-he doesn't know why, but he must obey him.
However, when I went to the actual ep to get a screen cap for the slideshow, what Harry really says is, "I gotta do everything Nicholas Blair tells me to do-I don't understand why, I-I just know I have to obey him." Definitely not a "MUST" quote. But I still wanted to have Harry involved in some way in today's installment, so I checked my list for possibilities in eps around Ep #612 and came up with Adam's quote from Ep #609 in which he's speaking to Harry and both of their faces can be seen on camera. Not having the character's face on camera when a quote is spoken isn't something I want to feature in the slideshow. As I've said, I already skipped a quote from Ep #807 because of that type of situation. And I've also selected a different quote for tomorrow for the same reason.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2020, 04:04:28 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #99 (1966) - Burke - 'No one MUST know there's ever been any connection between you and me.'

From "#0099/0100: Robservations 07/31/01: Pen-Man-Ship"
I won't give up, she vows. Good, he says. I know, whatever happens, I have to stay in that house--I owe it to Mr. Malloy--you know I feel more than ever that the key to his murderer is somewhere in Collinwood. I know, says Burke--it's somewhere in that house--by the way, don't call me from Collinwood, it's too risky--no one must know there's ever been any connection between you and me. Somebody in that house already does know, she tells him. What? asks Burke.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations passage doesn't make it clear, but you can probably already deduce that Burke is speaking with Mrs. Johnson.

And, you might think it's shocking that I don't have a quote regarding THE PEN. But trust me, those are coming. And actually, THE PEN references are in Ep #100, not this one...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2020, 05:38:34 PM »
Am enjoying these very much, MB, and appreciate all the work you're putting into the slideshow!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2020, 04:08:08 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Thanks.  [snow_smiley]  I'm certainly having fun...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2020, 04:14:03 PM »
And I've also selected a different quote for tomorrow for the same reason.

I forgot to mention yesterday that the quote I'd wanted to use for yesterday was Burke telling Roger, "You must have talked to Evans, told him to keep his mouth shut," from Ep #54. But unfortunately Burke had his back to the camera when he delivered it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2020, 04:18:10 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #399 (1796) - Abigail - 'The Old House MUST be searched!'

From "#0399/0400: Robservations 03/15/02: Is My Wife A Witch?"
Collinwood drawing room - Joshua tells Abigail he's had Ben locked up for stealing, but Abigail fears the witch. He was stealing her black hair ribbon, a personal item that could easily be used to cast a spell! Joshua is disdainful, but his sister begs for his help and says they must search for her at the Old House. Joshua says they will NOT set foot in that house; he might see Barnabas (which seems to scare him far more than any witch)!
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2020, 02:52:11 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #742 (1897) - Beth - 'We haven't settled it yet--sooner or later, we MUST.'

From "Robservations 12/17/02 - #742-743 - Laura Sends Jenny After Q"
Quentin and Beth kiss with great passion.  They're in his room, where she tells him she must leave--I've been too long already and I'm afraid Judith will start asking questions.  (It's a safe guess they just finished making love, her payment to him for keeping Jenny safe.)  What would you do if that happened? He asks.  Beth fixes her hair in the mirror and says, I don't know.  Tell her we're in love with each other, he suggests. "Could I?" she asks (such hope in her eyes!)--"It's a very casual kind of love, isn't it?" she says.  He tucks his hands in his pockets and says, I could tell something was wrong with you this evening.  Not something, everything, she says--I feel a sense of hopelessness--I want to think we have a future together, but we can't as long as you're married to Jenny.  We've been over this before, he says impatiently.  Yes, but we haven't settled it yet, she says--sooner or later, we must.  Jenny is stark raving mad, he reminds her.  Yes, but still your wife, says Beth.  When the time comes, he says, when I can approach Judith with the subject, I'll have Jenny committed and the marriage annulled.  Are you sure it can be? Asks Beth.  With the Collins money and power behind me, anything is possible exults Quentin--we must approach Judith at the right time--be patient, I promise you won't regret it--"I love you very much," he says, kissing her.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2020, 04:26:44 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1171 (1840) - Samantha - 'Do you understand why I MUST get even with him for all the misery that he has caused me?'

From "#1171/1172: Robservations 11/18/03: Another Brick in the Wall"
Samantha watches Gerard pace back and forth in Daphne's room.  You are against Quentin, aren't you? she asks.  Yes, he grins.  That also means you're against Tad, and that's why I won't cooperate with you, she says.  No, you're wrong there, he says, I'm quite fond of the boy, and he of me, oh, Samantha, he says, sitting beside her on the bed, don't you think I understand why you're against Quentin, why you've been miserable all these years?  She looks at him, her defenses breaking down--I can't believe anyone knows what a living hell it has been in this house, she says--I've never been loved, not by Quentin--do you understand why I must get even with him for all the misery he has caused me?  Of course I do, Gerard assures her, and that's what I'm trying to tell you--I do understand.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2020, 03:30:59 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #271 (1967) - Jason - 'You MUST all try to be very calm.'

From "#0271/0272: Robservations 12/05/01: Digging Up Paul"
Jason protests to those assembled that Liz is sick, insane, hysterical. Carolyn, in disbelief, can't believe what her mother had said (although Miss Stoddard herself was ready to commit murder, and Liz saved his miserable life with her confession). Vicki urges Liz to tell the entire story, but Roger wants to call in Frank Garner before his sister utters another word. Paul insists Liz needs a doctor, not a lawyer, she's ill! Liz insists on telling the whole story, particularly to her daughter. Judge Crathorne wisely departs, since he might well be sitting in on this criminal case and asks Liz to let him know if there's anything he can do to help. Carolyn, devastated, confesses that she was going to kill Jason
[/spoiler]

Robservations doesn't include any sort of reference to today's quote, but Jason delivers it after the judge has left and before Carolyn confesses.

Also, when Roger says he wants to call "Garner" I took it to mean the senior Garner, not Frank. But neither is spelled out...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2020, 03:52:04 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #484 (1968) - Jeff - 'The third door MUST be yours.'

From "#0483/0484: Robservations 05/15/02: The Return of Willie "
Jeff describes his dream and how Lang was his beckoner, yadda yadda yadda. Jeff feels he would been decapitated, had he not awakened (pity he did), by the guillotine. Jeff feels relieved for having told Lang. He HAD to tell Lang and no one else, Maggie told it to him, exactly the same dream, with only one door. He got to two. The third door, says Jeff, grinning, must be yours. Lang looks solemn.
[/spoiler]