Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 117350 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #465 on: November 10, 2020, 04:30:31 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #969 (1970) - Sky - 'She MUST. You MUST convince her because, you see, you are responsible for what is happening to me.'

From "Robservations 6/5/03 - #968-969 - Miserable is the Bride; A Bit 'o' PT"
Barnabas rises for the evening and begins to light the candles in the drawing room. Sky Rumson stands in the shadows. Mr. Collins, he says, I didn't mean to frighten you--do you know how much I hate you? Is that what you came here to tell me? asks Barnabas. I hate you for so many reasons, says Sky. Beginning with Angelique, says Barnabas. Where is she? demands Sky. I honestly don't know, says Barnabas.  She told you to tell me that, guesses Sky. "Angelique asks me nothing and tells me nothing," says Barnabas, "we are not friends."  "You're much closer than friends, you're enemies," says Sky, "and I know that neither of you can resist torturing each other--she's known you for a long time, she'll remember you long after she's forgotten me, I know that!--you've got to get me to her, because she's the only one who can help me." She would no more help you than she'd help me, Barnabas points out. She must, insists Sky--you must convince her, because you are responsible for what is happening to me. Nothing is happening to you, says Barn, Jeb destroyed the box, all of you are released. Not me, says Sky, I made my deal with a Mr. Strack, but that's not what I blame you for--what I blame you for is this--and he yanks away the scarf covering his throat and shows Barnabas' Megan's handiwork. Megan! cries Barnabas. Yes, says Sky.
Barnabas, ashamed, looks away.
[/spoiler]

Once again almost the entire quote is referenced in the Robservations...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 11, 2020, 03:06:01 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #1012 (1970PT) - Will - 'I MUST do your bidding?'

From "#1012/1013: Robservations 07/09/03: Stranger in a Sea of Familiar Faces"
Blood dripping from his throat, Will, realizing what has happened, tries to escape the secret room behind the bookcase.
"You're leaving, Mr. Loomis?" inquires Barnabas ironically.  The author gazes at him with terror. I've got to get out of here, insists Will. I'll let you go, says Barnabas, but first we must have a brief talk. Why did you do this to me? asks Will. Why did you do what you did to me? counters Barnabas angrily--hold me in a coffin, forced me to tell my story, make me reveal, night after night, the depth of my shame? Literally spitting with fear, Will says, I wanted to tell the truth about Barnabas Collins. The Barnabas of your time is lying peacefully in his grave, says Barnabas--his name and spirit and should be left in peace. Please let me go, begs Will, and I won't tell anything about you. Go if you want to go, suggests Barnabas. Gasping for breath, Will says, I can't, and you know it--what are you going to do with me? Surely you've learned enough from your conversations with me recently to realize the position you're in, says Barn. "I must do your bidding?" asks Will. Precisely, responds Barnabas. I won't be your slave, insists Will. Would you rather be held captive in a closed coffin? demands Barnabas--it can easily be arranged. You wouldn't, moans Will. Why not? asks Barnabas--you did the same thing to me!  Please, implores Will, I'll do anything you say, anything you want, I will.  Very well, relents Barnabas--gather all you have written--and burn them.
[/spoiler]

Another Robservations with a word for word version of the quote...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 11, 2020, 06:29:01 PM »
That was a great scene between Barnabas and Will. Payback! Great dialogue.

Lovely to see Samantha today (with the back of Quentin's head turned at a really odd angle). Virginia Vestoff was superb--one of the most talented artists ever to work on the show. She was so believable at portraying Samantha's complicated depths and general unlikeableness that I don't think Vestoff has ever been very popular among fans. But whenever I get around to watching 1840 again, it is to her performances that I will look forward among the more memorable, and successful, elements of this troubled storyline.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 12, 2020, 01:00:27 AM »
That was a great scene between Barnabas and Will. Payback! Great dialogue.

Yes, indeed - fabulous dialogue. I particularly love it when Barnabas asks, "You're leaving, Mr. Loomis?"

As far as Will's close-up when he delivers the quote goes -

- it has to be one of the closest close-ups Henry Kaplan ever had a cameraman do. But then about the only thing that might have moved in closer is maybe a shot of just John Karlen's nose.  [hall2_grin]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 12, 2020, 10:14:58 PM »
They did lots of those super-tight close-ups during the last year or so. Most of the time it was just the actor's eyes. I think it works well in traditional television.

Love today's snapshot of Julia and Morgan having another dramatic encounter!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 13, 2020, 12:34:16 AM »
They did lots of those super-tight close-ups during the last year or so. Most of the time it was just the actor's eyes. I think it works well in traditional television.

I agree - they often worked quite well. But at the same time it's a bit odd that, in the case of extreme close-ups like the screen capture I used for Will, we could practically count the actors' nose hairs!  [hall2_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 13, 2020, 12:50:01 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #1109 (1970) - Barnabas - 'Children, you MUST tell me. If you know where Quentin was originally buried, you MUST tell me.'

From "#1109/1110: Robservations 09/17/03: Back to the Past"
Tad and Carrie burst in.  It's all happening the way it did before, says Tad.  That means we're lost! wails Carrie.  First Gerard killed Quentin, says Tad, and soon after that, Carrie and I died.  Gerard has forced history to repeat itself! realizes Barnabas--children, if you know where Quentin was originally buried alive, you must tell me--do you know if Quentin was buried in 1840 and where?  If Quentin dies, says Tad, we'll die, too, this is our only chance.  Then we might as well tell them, says Carrie.  He was buried in an unmarked grave, reveals Tad, near the part of the cemetery that was fenced off.
[/spoiler]

The version of the quote in the Robservations isn't quite the same as it's delivered in the ep - but it's close.

On the other hand, Carlie (Carrie in Hallie's body) doesn't say, "That means we're lost!" She says "Tad, that means we're next! We're next!"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 13, 2020, 10:20:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #1128 (1840) - Samantha - 'I MUST be with the man I love.'

From "#1127/1128: Robservations 09/30/03: The Chosen One"
He points out that she has everything she could ever want in this house.  Except love and happiness, she says.  He asks how many people she knows have that?  This is my chance to get it, she says, I must take it!  Have you forgotten, he says, that four years ago, I also had the chance for happiness, and you denied me that opportunity.  I haven't lost sight of what happened four years ago, she says, even though I didn't give you freedom to go with another woman, I was grateful for your honesty--I told you that then!--I don't think I understood what you were going through then, but I do now, believe me I do.  Do you love Gerard? he asks her.  Very much, she says.  Does he love you? asks Quentin.  Yes, she replies, please try to understand, don't hate me.  I don't hate you, he assures her with a small smile, I know I haven't made your life very happy--but I thought that somehow, you'd want to go on, as I do--for Tad's sake.  She rises from the bed and insists she must be with the man she loves.
[/spoiler]

Though it doesn't use the direct quote, the Robservations perfectly references it...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 14, 2020, 03:33:30 AM »
Nice to see Mr. Wells today! Poor guy... he wound up being eaten by the werewolf!!! (Recalling the story amusingly told by Conrad Bain--thankfully he was captured on video talking about this!)

Interesting that the DS Wiki says Wells was known as one of the most notorious gossips in Collinsport. I don't recall that side of the character. Sounds like something Roger would have insinuated while reaching for the brandy decanter.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 14, 2020, 06:04:36 PM »
Lovely to see Samantha today (with the back of Quentin's head turned at a really odd angle).

And here's the screen cap:

As for the odd angle of Quentin's head, moments prior to Samantha delivering the quote she was sitting on the bed with Quentin so he's still in the position he was when he was looking at her.

Virginia Vestoff was superb--one of the most talented artists ever to work on the show. She was so believable at portraying Samantha's complicated depths and general unlikeableness that I don't think Vestoff has ever been very popular among fans. But whenever I get around to watching 1840 again, it is to her performances that I will look forward among the more memorable, and successful, elements of this troubled storyline.

You know you're definitely preaching to the choir when it comes to me and Virginia Vestoff. I never miss an opportunity to say how much I enjoy her work on the show. It's nice for her that she left to do the film version of 1776, but it's sad for the DS fans who loved her because it could have been very interesting to see how her 1841PT Samantha might have figured into things had Virginia remained with the show...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 15, 2020, 07:24:03 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #1206 (1841PT) - Morgan - 'I MUST get to him.'

From "#1205/1206: Robservations 12/12/03: Wedding Interruptus"
Morgan mumbles, "Bramwell" and tries to rise from his bed.  Julia tries to stop him, ordering, stay in bed.  Morgan climbs out of bed, insisting, I must get to him.  Julia stands there, scared.
[/spoiler]

Again, though it doesn't use the direct quote, the Robservations perfectly references it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 15, 2020, 10:34:18 PM »
Love today's snapshot of Julia and Morgan having another dramatic encounter!

They had quite a few of those. And here's their latest in the slideshow:

Grayson and Keith worked very well together...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 16, 2020, 01:20:08 AM »
Wonderful glimpses of 1967 Laura yesterday, and 1949 Liz today! Beautiful work.

Thanks, MB!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 16, 2020, 05:56:49 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #61 (1966) - Mr. Wells - 'Well it MUST be. She asked me very clearly not to give this to anyone.'

From "#0061/0062: Robservations 06/29/01:An Unwelcome Guest"
It was an envelope about this big, with Maggie's name on it, says Sam. I remember it, says Wells, she asked me to put it in here a couple of days ago. Here she is, says Wells, but when Sam reaches for it, the clerk says not so fast--he has to call Maggie first--is she home?
What do you mean? asks Sam. House rules, says Wells, nobody can get anything out of that safe 'cept the person that put it in there. That's my letter, I wrote it, says Sam. Maybe you did, but you wrote it to Maggie, and that makes it hers, insists Wells--ask the mailman if you don't believe me. The devil with the mailman! says Sam, I want that letter. And you can have it, as soon as I talk to Maggie, says the clerk--is she home? Sam's brow furrows. No, he says, and I don't know where she is. I'm afraid you'll just have to wait, says Wells. Please, begs Sam, it's important! It must be, agrees Wells, kneeling to return the letter to the safe--she told me very clearly not to give this to anyone. I need that letter! cries Sam. And I need this job, counters Wells, I'd lost it if I broke the house rules--sorry. Sam stands there, licking his lips, really upset.
[/spoiler]

And yet again, though it doesn't use the direct quote, the Robservations perfectly references it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 16, 2020, 08:30:05 PM »
Interesting that the DS Wiki says Wells was known as one of the most notorious gossips in Collinsport. I don't recall that side of the character. Sounds like something Roger would have insinuated while reaching for the brandy decanter.

While it's often said that the town thrives on gossip, I don't recall any other character ever saying that Mr. Wells specifically was a notorious gossip. Though that being said, I can see where one of them could have because he often revealed more than he should have about characters' lives to other characters. But then, so far as the show goes, his lack of discretion was all in service to the plot. Characters learned things they might not have otherwise learned without Mr. Wells telling them.

And here's his screen cap:

Now, on the other hand, early Maggie makes Mr. Wells look like he never breathed a word about anything he knew because often all she did was gossip!!