Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118397 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #1065 on: January 29, 2022, 07:14:57 PM »
 [pointing-up]  That would explain it. Thanks, Uncle Roger.  [snow_smiley]

I did look up the Sci-Fi Channel broadcast and discovered something interesting though not altogether pleasing for anyone who doesn't have the DVDs and is relying solely on their Sci-Fi tapes for the eps. Not only are the announcement made during the theme and the summary missing, but also Barnabas' first line of dialogue for Act 1. On the DVD (and presumably on Volume 50 of the Collector's Series VHS), Act 1 of Ep #251 opens with Barnabas saying, "You still haven't answered my question. What were you doing with this tool?" Whereas Sci-Fi's version opens with Barnabas simply asking, "What were you doing with this tool?" But we can just add that to so many of the other things that were changed or dropped when Sci-Fi ran DS.  [snow_rolleyes] [snow_mad]

It's just too bad that Eps #246 through #250 may have been preempted that week because those are some really great eps. Maggie escapes Barnabas. Sam sees her. She's recaptured and put in a coffin as punishment. Jason persuades Liz to open the locked basement room for Carolyn, Roger and Vicki to check out for themselves. Liz announces she and Jason will marry. And facing becoming a vampire, Maggie attempts to destroy Barnabas. Thrilling stuff!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 29, 2022, 08:33:51 PM »
The line "What were you doing with this tool?" could be interpreted quite differently these days.  [snow_wink] [snow_wink] [snow_wink]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 30, 2022, 03:02:52 PM »
 [pointing-up]  That's very true.  [snow_smileydevil]  Though at least in the scene Barnabas is holding the metal tool out to Maggie, so there's no misinterpreting what he's asking.  [snow_wink] [snow_laugh]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 30, 2022, 04:24:39 PM »
It's along the lines of one of my favorite lines from Night of Dark Shadows. Where the mysterious noise is identified as sounding like brick being laid.  [snow_smileydevil] [snow_smiley] [snow_smileydevil]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 30, 2022, 04:40:14 PM »
 [pointing-up]  [snow_smileydevil] [snow_silly] [snow_smileydevil]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 30, 2022, 05:44:11 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #485 (1968) - Dr. Lang - 'I MUST... I MUST get back to work.'

From "#0485/0486: Robservations 05/16/02: Cassandra Wins Again"
Lang works on his creation, distracted. He can't forget the nightmare. He answers a knock at the door, it's Julia. She asks him what's wrong, and he says, "The dream! This is exactly like the dream!" Upset, he asks her what's happening to him.

Julia can't tell him what's happening to him. He says he can't work because of the dream. She asks what he's done about an assistant, and he can't even respond. She asks if something's happened to stop the experiment, and he says he must return to work. He only has a limited amount of time or the body will deteriorate, after 48 hours at the most.
[/spoiler]

This Robservations doesn't reference the quote directly, but it does reference it well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 31, 2022, 03:06:30 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #831 (1897) - Petofi - 'You MUST come within reach of your triumph, but only within reach. The ultimate triumph for tonight will be mine. And I shall have it.'

From "Robservations 2/27/03 - #830/831 - Quentin at Trask's Mercy"
7:30 PM - Trask comes in from the servants' entrance, gun in hand.  He opens the double doors and enters, then sits before the desk and puts the gun down.  He takes the inkwell and pen, and writes, "Tonight, there will be another full moon.  I can no longer bear the thought of changing into the animal and spilling more blood.  I must take my own life, it is the only escape for me."  The front door opens.  Trask takes the gun and puts it into the desk.  He rises.  Petofi enters carrying something large and bewrapped.  He cordially greets Trask, who is standing there like an automaton.  I'm looking for Quentin, says Petofi.  I haven't seen him, says Trask.  Curious, says Petofi, I was sure you'd know where he was.  No, says Trask, slowly and carefully.  Charles Tate finished Quentin's portrait, says Petofi--I consider it an extraordinary likeness.  Petofi notices Trask is ignoring him, and says, "Someone has decided to prevent you from pursuing your duties--I won't have that, Mr. Trask, you must come within reach of your triumph, but only within reach."  (Ah, so he set all this up!  Probably gave Charity the visions.)  The ultimate triumph for tonight will be Petofi's, but I shall have it!  Petofi puts the portrait in the foyer, leaning it against the table.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote but changes the wording here and there...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 31, 2022, 11:06:05 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #320 (1967) - Burke - 'All I know is David is terrified of him. He MUST have some reason for it.'

From "#0319/0320: Robservations 01/17/02: A Trap is Set"
In the drawing room, Burke tells Vicki about David's nightmare (way to keep a secret--and a promise, Burke!) She's puzzled by it. Perhaps David's judgment is stronger than ours, says Burke. Barnabas isn't capable of harming anyone, insists Vicki
[/spoiler]

This Robservations is once again during a period with little detail and doesn't reference the quote at all. However, the way the quote comes up is that after Burke brings up that some kids are a better judge of character than the adults around them, Vicki asks what's he's hinting at. Burke theorizes that maybe there's more to Barnabas than meets the eye and David senses it. To that Vicki says that she thought they'd settled all his suspicions about Barnabas. And that's when Burke delivers to quote, to which Vicki follows up by saying that David is disturbed because of the things that have been happening. "No, it's Barnabas he's afraid of. You'd know that if you saw the way he looked at Barnabas when I found him at the Collins mausoleum. He was terrified." But Vicki sighs and says, "Barnabas is totally incapable of harming anyone, least of all David. And besides, what reason would he have for wanting to harm David?"...

Oh, Vicki, Barnabas has you so snowed!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 01, 2022, 03:50:19 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #744 (1897) - Barnabas - 'Jenny, I MUST go now, but I want you to stay in this room.'

From "Robservations 12/18/02 - #744-745 - Barnabas & Jenny"
Jenny's hair looks much better.  She ties it back with a ribbon.  Barnabas enters and tells her, I must go now, but you must stay until Quentin comes for you--some people will be here to look after you, he explains.  Do you like the way I look? asks Jenny.  I do, says Barn.  She teases him--you shouldn't flirt with me--Quentin is very jealous.
[/spoiler]

This Robservations references almost the entire quote. And as you can see, even though the Robservations indicates Barnabas says Jenny must stay, he actually says he wants her to stay in the room - another example of a Robservation using "must" where it isn't actually used in the ep...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 02, 2022, 03:48:50 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #1176 (1840) - Leticia - 'There MUST be a way of saving Gerard from Judah.'

From "#1176/1177: Robservations 11/20/03: Arrival From the Future"
The cards don't lie, says Leticia--the first time I read them for him, I saw his future as he would be as himself--tonight I read the fortune of another man--I saw the future of Judah Zachary--I know it--Gerard has been possessed by Judah.  There's only one way to end this, says Desmond, sounding crazed--if I could get out of this jail I would kill him myself!  No! she cries.  You still feel for him, accuses Desmond.  Gerard? she says--oh, Desmond, you are so kind, when I was possessed by Judah, doing what he was telling me to do, you wouldn't have killed me--you'd have tried to help me, wouldn't you?  Yes, says Desmond, you know I would have.  Then you must try to do the same for Gerard, she says, there must be a way of saving Gerard from Judah.
[/spoiler]

This Robservations references the quote perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 03, 2022, 03:54:24 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #1043 (1970PT) - Hoffulia - 'We MUST find out who murdered Angelique.'

From "#1042/1043: Robservations 07/30/03: Julia Stands Up to Barnabas"
Carolyn, who killed Angelique?...you must tell me insists Julia!--it wasn't Quentin, was it?--why won't you say? Carolyn, hand on her heart, shakes her head and, voice shaking, says don't ask me. We must find out who murdered Angelique, asserts Julia. Quentin will be caught and hanged unless we do something.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And of course Hoffulia = Julia taking the place of Hoffman...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 04, 2022, 03:48:21 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #978 (1970) - Jeb - 'We MUST talk, perhaps for the last time.'

From "Robservations 6/12/03 - #978-979 - Barnabas Turns to Ang; Widows' Hill Again"
The outer door opens. It's Jeb. He takes the paper shadow from his pocket, holds it up, then returns it to his pocket and knocks at the inner door. He enters and says, "Thought we'd never meet again, huh?"  I had hoped that would be so, answers Blair. But we must, oh, yes, too much has been left undone, says Jeb--we must talk, perhaps for the last time. Nicholas eyes him with evil intent.
[/spoiler]

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Chris - 'Sabrina, you MUST TELL me what happened, you MUST!') was back on June 5th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 05, 2022, 03:44:07 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #870 (1897) - Judith - 'I'm sure it was her "soul" he was interested in--he MUST have spent hours trying to find it.'

From "Robservations 3/31/03 - Engagement; Petofi Finds What He's Searching For"
thank you for getting the portrait. Oh, it was worth it just seeing Trask's face, says Charity. Judith walks over to the portrait--what she was like? she asks.  Sort of fetching, like her picture, says Charity--he went around telling everyone he was trying to save her soul. I'm sure it was her "soul" he was interested in, comments Judith--he must have spent hours trying to find it. They were a bit "chummy," reveals Charity. That's a quaint way to put it, says Judith. What are you planning to do with the picture? asks Charity. "I'm thinking of hanging it in the master bedroom," says Judith. (on the ceiling, perhaps?)  In with you and Mr. Trask? asks Charity, surprised. Why not? asks Judith, Mr. Trask has always taken pride in the souls he's saved--it's only appropriate that the portrait of his latest "achievement" should hang on their wall--"You see what a devoted wife I am?"  I see what a smart one you are, says Charity, and am getting to like you more every day.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly. And I've always loved that line from Judith - finally, she definitely has Trask's number.  [snow_wink]

Also, I love how colorful the screen capture for the quote is:

The show often seemed to up the color quotient whenever the storylines were set in the past...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 06, 2022, 03:34:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #677 (1969) - Barnabas - 'He MUST have been afflicted by a curse.'

From "Robservations 10/4/02 - #676/677"
Barnabas returns to Collinwood. Julia meets him in the foyer and tells him she has been reading THE LYCANTHROPE OF ANGIERS--I figure I should do some werewolf research, she explains, before I begin working on Chris--I have learned there are two schools of thought on werewolves--that a man becomes a wolf, or that it's a mental disease, and he only behaves like a wolf. We know it's not the latter with Chris, says Barnabas--we've seen the animal he becomes. Julia has found two ways someone becomes a werewolf--if bitten by another werewolf and survives, or if part of a curse. It must be a curse, says Barn--Chris would surely have known if he was bitten. Julia takes the book to continue studying before bed, and bids Barnabas good night.
[/spoiler]

It doesn't do so directly, but the Robservations references the quote well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 07, 2022, 03:24:09 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #481 (1968) - Cassandra - 'You will do anything I ask. Anything. But you will not remember what I have told you or what you MUST do.'

From "#0481/0482: Robservations 05/14/02: Cassandra Thwarts the Good Guys"
"You're angry," she says, and he says, "You--you made me come here." He doesn't understand her power, but she says there's no need for him to. It's wrong meeting her, she's married to Roger, but she says they aren't doing anything wrong. She demands he look at her, and reluctantly, he finally does. "You will do anything I ask," she demands, "anything, but you will not remember what I have told you or what you must do."
He agrees.
[/spoiler]

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Julia - 'Another reason you MUST NOT do it') was back on September 5th.