Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118508 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #1515 on: March 27, 2023, 03:28:07 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #488 (1968) - Prof. Stokes - 'You MUST think I'm a madman. I assure you I'm not. I'm an expert in the occult.'

From "#0487/0488: Robservations 05/17/02: Desperate Measures"
Evans cottage - Stokes comes to see Maggie and gives her his card--he urgently needs to speak to her. She invites him to sit down. She's puzzled, wondering what this stranger wants. He heard about her terrifying dream from Julia Hoffman--she's had the same dream, as have a number of other people. He asks her to tell him everything she remembers about the dream, but she just wants to forget the horror of it. Force yourself--it's a matter of life and death, he explains--it's part of a dream curse, which is perpetrated by a series of dreams--the chain must be broken or someone will die. That's incredible, declares Maggie, but he says he's an expert in the occult, and he thinks he can stop the dream. He needs to know about her dream--she may be saving a human life. Standing over a lamp that makes her look very pretty, Maggie describes her dream to Stokes. She recites the riddle to him.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations doesn't reference the entire quote but it does reference part of it quite well...

How interesting that Prof. Stokes follows Trask this month - given his deranged thinking, I'm surprised that after Trask showed up in 1968 he didn't try to exorcise Prof. Stokes. Can you just picture Stokes tied to a tree in the woods?!  [easter_wink] [easter_cheesy]  But perhaps Trask was just grateful that Stokes had helped him return to exorcise Cassandra, who as Angelique was the real witch back in 1795/96...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Prof. Stokes - 'If you know who the witch is, you MUST TELL me') was back on June 18th of 2020.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: March 28, 2023, 05:56:04 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #729 (1897) - Quentin - 'I'm afraid I got so curious I opened it. And I MUST say you carry the most interesting items in your purse.'

From "Robservations 11/15/02 - #728/729 - Quentin Seeks Jenny--and Beth"
Beth comes downstairs hurriedly. She angrily tells Q, I hope you haven't cost me my job. I doubt it, says Q. Edward is furious with me, Beth reminds him. Edward's fury is like the common cold, remarks Quentin, a nuisance, but it always goes away. Beth says, I'm sorry we can't continue our conversation, I have to go to the village. She picks up her purse. Quentin stands idly by, whistling innocently. She turns and demands, give me the envelope that was in my purse! He feigns innocence, but she says I won't play games--give it to me or I will have Edward get it from you.  Quentin takes the envelope from his pocket and comments, you carry some interesting items in your purse. She grabs the cash out of his hand. He assures her it's all there. You were going into the village last time I saw you with a large sum of money--what do you do with it? It's none of your business, I don't wish to discuss it further, says Beth coldly.
[/spoiler]

Again, the Robservations doesn't reference the entire quote but it does reference part of it well, even if it's not verbatim...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: March 29, 2023, 04:04:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #245 (1967) - Barnabas - 'Yes, I know what you mean. Whoever he is, he MUST certainly be, at one and the same time, more than a man and less than a man.'

From "#0245/0246: Robservations 11/14/01:"
Barnabas warns Woodard to be careful--the man who broke into his office had great strength, after all. Woodard refers to that man as a monster and remarks that Barnabas seems to feel sympathy for him.
On the contrary, says Barnabas, "I loathe him very deeply."
[/spoiler]

This is another Robservations where there's little detail and once again it doesn't reference a quote. However, the quote comes up after Woodard refers to that man who broke into his office as a monster and before Woodard remarks that Barnabas seems to feel sympathy for him...

And considering the Robservation would seem to be directly quoting Barnabas' actual feelings for the man, it's unfortunate the quote isn't exactly what Barnabas says because what he actually says is,
"I loathe him very, very deeply."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: March 30, 2023, 05:28:32 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #489 (1968) - Roger - 'Well I suppose she was right. It MUST have been a bit of a shock to you, but if you'll give Cassandra a chance, I'm sure that you will grow to love her as much as I do.'

From "#0489/0490: Robservations 05/20/02: If Both Live..."
Roger says he's disappointed in his son and David apologizes. Roger says it takes very little effort to be civil, even to someone he dislikes--and he should get to know her before he dislikes her (perhaps David is more intuitive than his father).
He didn't say that, objects David, he doesn't know how to act in front of Cassandra. Roger's good humor returns. He understands. Give Cassandra a chance, and he will grow to love her as much as he does. David says yes, but doesn't sound like he means it, and Roger makes a face.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations doesn't reference the entire quote - and what it dies, it paraphrases...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: March 31, 2023, 03:12:04 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #730 (1897) - Edward - 'You MUST be insane!'

From "Robservations 11/18/02 - #730/731 - Quentin and His "Dead" Mistress"
I have no doubt you have some reason for returning, he says, and if you'll be good enough to tell me what it is, I'll try to accommodate you, and then you will leave--I can't express my feelings more clearly than that.  I want you to take me back, she says plaintively.  You must be insane! he says.  I know you have every right to hate me, but please don't, she begs--I know how wrong. . .Spare me your feelings, demands Edward, they mean nothing to me.
Oh, Edward, I am so sorry, she says, but I can't help myself, I'm throwing myself on your mercy, do you think that easy for me?  Yes, I do, he responds.  (You do get the feeling this is all an act on Laura's part.)  Please don't be cruel, she asks.  I refuse to be taken in by all this, he says.  I want only a second chance, on any terms you dictate, she says--please don't turn me away--I've been through so much suffering and misery, but I've learned from it, I swear!--all I want is a chance to prove it to you!
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Laura - 'Because there is something I MUST do before I can return to Collinwood') was back on September 16th of 2020, and the second (Edward - 'I don't understand, Jamison, why you can't do things with other people. Why MUST it always be Quentin?') was back on September 29th of 2021.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: April 01, 2023, 05:44:34 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #490 (1968) - Barnabas - 'And you MUST find some way to get hold of yourself.'

From "#0489/0490: Robservations 05/20/02: If Both Live..."
Barnabas says Julia now knows what it is he discovered years ago--there's no escape from the witch--Julia will have the dream until she's so scared she's forced to tell Mrs. Johnson.
Julia insists she must tell Mrs. Johnson before she loses her mind. Barnabas wants them to do the experiment tonight. Find some way to get hold of yourself, urges Barnabas coldly. Julia wonders if Cassandra can somehow control the experiment, but Barn believes she knows nothing about it.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references most of the quote quite well, though not the "must" part...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Mrs. Johnson - 'No, I MUST come in') was back on February 11th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: April 02, 2023, 05:12:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #731 (1897) - Rachel - 'You MUST not linger here too long. You MUST be a good teacher. You MUST not do anything that might anger your headmaster.'

From "Robservations 11/18/02 - #730/731 - Quentin and His "Dead" Mistress"
I had to go back and fulfill the rest of the contract.  Rachel looks resigned, but angry.  Tim thinks it was actually a good thing, but Rachel turns on him--how could you say that, Trask is a sadist!  True, says Tim, but we were good for the children, and as long as I'm there. . .besides, I decided to take a new tack with Trask--I know he can't be persuaded to change his mind, but I'm trying to temper him, get him to be more tolerant with the children.  I guess you aren't succeeding, she says bitterly.  Tim insists I'm making some progress--Rachel, listen, he says, isn't it better to light even one candle than curse the darkness?   He's taken all of the spirit out of you, she lashes out, all your will to fight back--"He's defeated you!"  Tim coldly asks her to have the children to come down--I have work to do at the school.
Venomously, she says, "Yes, of course, you must not linger here too long, you must be a good teacher, you must not do anything that might anger your headmaster!"  She leaves him, furious.  Tim just looks sad.
[/spoiler]

A triple "must" quote - we haven't seen one of those in quite a while!

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Laura - 'You've been drinking again. Oh I really MUST have you very worried') was back on May 27th of 2020.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: April 03, 2023, 03:04:03 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #1156 (1840) - Constable Ward - 'Randall's reasons for going to the police MUST have been mentioned.'

From "#1154_1155/1156: Robservations 11/05/03: A Death; An Arrest For Murder"
11:40 - Collinwood - Constable Ward asks Gabriel, did Randall speak with you earlier this evening?  And my wife, Edith, yes, says Gabriel.  What was the purpose of his visit? asks Jim.  Merely paying a visit, seeing his sister, says Gabriel.  So it was a social visit? asks Jim.  Yes, agrees Gabriel.  Your brother Quentin told me that you said he was on his way to the police, reveals the cop--Randall's reasons for going to the police must have been mentioned.  Yes, says Gabriel--Randall thought the police weren't concerned enough about the animal attacks in the woods.  So, says the constable, he was coming to see us at midnight to censure us?  That was very much like Randall, yes, says Gabriel.  And completely untrue! says the constable, he's been in town for quite a few days and we haven't heard from him--you're lying to protect your brother, aren't you?  Quentin can protect himself! says Gabriel.  Then why do you bother? asks Jim--I think I'll have a talk with Mr. Trask before I see you again--but I will see you again.
[/spoiler]

And I love the look on Gabriel's face in the screen capture when Constable Ward delivers the quote -

- when one knows what's really going on with Gabriel, one appreciates it so much more!  [easter_wink]  And things like that are definitely part of the fun in watching DS over again.

(And poor Isaac Collins - the founder of everything Collins relegated to hanging in the study in 1840 when he normally hangs in the drawing room. What was some member of the family thinking?!  [easter_shocked]  But thank heavens he'll regain his rightful place in the future!!  [easter_wink])

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Samantha - 'Yes, I MUST, MUSTN'T I? I never really believed that Quentin's interest in the black arts was anything but a foolish eccentricity-- but I MUST now-- I do!') was back on April 5th of 2021.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: April 04, 2023, 03:36:44 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #64 (1966) - Liz - 'I suppose you should, if you feel you MUST.'

From "#0063/0064: Robservations 07/02/01: Who Isn't Capable of Murder?"
I've only been concerned about what's best for you, Liz tells Carolyn, how I wish you could have gone away from here before all this started. It wouldn't have changed anything, insists Carolyn. For you it would have, says Liz
--I know what you've been going through. Mother, says Carolyn, I've always liked Burke. Always? asks Liz, you've known him such a short time. I know, but...why did he have to do it? asks Carolyn--why did he have to say those horrible things about Uncle Roger? Because he's bitter and angry, says Liz. He always seems so...I don't know, so different, says Carolyn--how can you ever know anything about anybody? I've never learned the answer to that question, says Liz, smiling, I suppose you have to put faith in someone you love and hope they'll be honest with you. Yes, agrees Carolyn, if I could only talk to Burke and asks him how he could say these things. I suppose you should, if you feel you must, says Liz You wouldn't object? asks Carolyn. Would it make any difference if I did? asks Liz. No, I suppose not, says Carolyn.
[/spoiler]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: April 05, 2023, 06:22:23 AM »
Great shot of Don Briscoe from ep #671 today!  [luv]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: April 05, 2023, 03:40:21 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #1017 (1970PT) - Carolyn - 'You MUST feel very relieved.'

From "#1016/1017: Robservations 07/11/03: A New Cousin From a Distant Land"
Why can't you leave this room, why? asks Will. Can't you guess? asks Barnabas. I suppose I can, says Will, facing Barnabas again. They hear Maggie's voice outside calling to Will and Carolyn--is anybody home? "Maggie," whispers Barnabas to Will. Carolyn comes out to greet Maggie--how are you?  asks the latter. All right, answers Carolyn--Barnabas mentioned to us that you were back--how's Quentin?  He seems much better, says Maggie--I just took him to the hospital for tests, and he seems to be coming along fine--I can't understand what went wrong. You must feel very relieved, says Carolyn, and moves to stand in front of the secret bookcase. I do, says Maggie--I just wish I could stay at the hospital with him--I should apologize for coming by so late and just walking in like this, but I did want Barnabas to know that everything seems to be all right now--he's not here, is he? No, he isn't, says Carolyn. Perhaps you could give him the message, says Maggie--tell Will, too--I'll let you know the results of the tests. Inside the secret room, Barnabas listens to Maggie's voice. I would hate to think of what would have happened if Barnabas hadn't been there when Quentin had his attack, says Maggie--Liz told me how calm he was, took complete charge--it's difficult to believe he's a distant relative, but more like someone who had known us all our lives, and how strange that is. Barnabas listens, smiling a bit, liking what he's hearing. Carolyn agrees--it's strange.  I should get back to Collinwood, says Maggie--Liz and the others will want to hear the news, too, and the doctor might call tonight--it's good seeing you, Carolyn, she adds, and leaves.
Will says to Barnabas, "It's SHE you're hiding from, isn't it, yes, when I was writing the book, you mentioned, how much she reminded you, in the other time, of Josette?" That's enough, Will, orders Barnabas (notice that they're on a first name basis since Barnabas bit him). And this Maggie reminds you of that one, doesn't she? asks Will. Outside, a dog howls. Open the panel, commands Barnabas. WHAT? asks Will.  I said open the panel! Barnabas repeats, clearly beset by blood lust. No, you don't want to leave here, says Will, you know you don't--you told me to stop you!  Nothing can stop me now, says Barnabas. Will pulls out the cross and holds it in front of the vampire's face. Barnabas turns away. This is what you wanted me to do, Will reminds him.
[/spoiler]

It's too bad that the screen capture for the ep is a bit blurry because while delivering the quote Carolyn is walking through the room and motion in kinescopes is often blurry:

But given the screen captures in the Robservations excerpt, obviously the entire kinescope is not all like that.

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Will - 'Maggie. I MUST warn Maggie') was back on October 13th of 2021.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: April 06, 2023, 03:28:07 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #157 (1967) - Caretaker - 'Laura Murdoch Radcliffe--her other records, they MUST be here--her parents, her ancestry.'

From "#0156/0157: Robservations 09/10/01: Liz in Serious Trouble"
Laura Murdoch Radcliffe, says the caretaker (I'm tired of typing that!), taking down another book--her other records, they must be here--her parents, her ancestry. Are you sure I can't do that for you? asks Frank, as he watches the caretaker searching the shelves--you can tell me where to look. Vicki looks through one of the volumes. Oh, no, says the caretaker, they wouldn't like it.
[/spoiler]

And with reference to the caretaker's quotes total:

He racked up his 8th with this one - and even more are probably still possible...

With this one he has 9.  And even though he was only in 23 eps even more are probably still possible because "must" definitely seems to be his favorite word...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Frank - 'Well then you MUST have fairly complete burial records of this whole area') was back on November 2nd of 2020.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: April 07, 2023, 03:58:04 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #935 (1970) - Julia - 'Quentin, the important thing is that you're here, and you're the only one capable of doing what MUST be done.'

From "Robservations 5/12/03 - Enter Jeb; Quentin Mourns - #934-935"
Julia outlines to Quentin how it's been since Barnabas got back--I think something happened to him in the past, something that forces him to act this way. Julia, says Q, I just lost the one woman I ever loved, finally found my portrait--I've SEEN myself. Quentin, she says, what you need is a new interest--the important thing is you're here, and the only one capable of doing what must be done. Sure, he says sarcastically, because my strength is the strength of 10 men, because my heart is pure--you and your unholy belief in the Collins family--well, here is one Collins that doesn't even have a name--just how is he going to explain himself--as Quentin Collins, born in the 19th century, once a ghost and tormentor of children? Quentin, there is a way, she says, if you'll help Barnabas. He puts a hand on her shoulder, his voice gentler. Julia, you have done many things for me, he says, and I appreciate it--do one more thing for me--LEAVE ME ALONE!-- just let me think about things--you don't worry--I won't go anywhere without telling you, I promise. He pours himself another drink.
[/spoiler]

I can definitely think of at least one fan who, like Quentin, would mourn the loss of Amanda (and he knows who he is [easter_wink] [easter_cheesy]), but why do I suspect there are also fans who would have a drink to celebrate her exit (and they know who they are [easter_wink] [easter_grin]).

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: April 08, 2023, 05:46:32 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #364 (1967) - Vicki - 'No. No, there MUST be a mistake!'

From '#0363/0364: Robservations 02/20/02: ". . .So You Must Be Good"'
Drawing room, Collinwood - Vicki tells Liz she feels the Boston trip was good for David. Liz sadly informs Vicki that Burke's plane turned up--and all 16 passengers were found dead.
Vicki refuses to accept the worst, even though all the bodies were burned beyond recognition (on any other soap, this would have left the door open for Burke's eventual return)
[/spoiler]

Because this is another Robservations with little detail, it doesn't references the quote, but it does reference the circumstances of the quote...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Barnabas - 'The wicked are punished, so you MUST be good') was back on August 15th of 2020.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: April 09, 2023, 03:32:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #743 (1897) - Laura - 'Just as soon as I prepare her for what she MUST do.'

From "Robservations 12/17/02 - #742-743 - Laura Sends Jenny After Q"
Q suggests they go. Barn agrees it's getting late--I'm going to show Quentin some rare family volumes at the Old House.  The men depart.  Laura sweetly wishes them good night.  After they're gone, she exults that Jenny will want to know they went to the Old House.  When do you want me to let her out of her cell? asks Dirk.  Tonight, says Laura, as soon as I prepare her for what she must do.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Jenny - 'You MUST be very solemn and respectful of the dead') was back on December 1st of 2020, and the second (Laura - 'Quentin and Barnabas. I've been expecting them. Oh, they MUST be very anxious over the state of my health') was back on May 16th of 2021.