Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118461 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #1290 on: August 26, 2022, 01:54:25 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #974 (1970) - Sabrina - 'I don't hear them talking anymore, they MUST have gone away.'

From "Robservations 6/10/03 - #974-975"
Sabrina rises from her chair and tells Sky, I think you friend Nicholas has forgotten you. This pisses off Sky, who asks, what do you mean?  I don't hear them, they must have gone away, says Sabrina. Nicholas promised to speak to me, says Sky--you just sit and relax.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

(And the rest of that scene is a true classic on DS:
He unlocks the door and finds the outer room empty--except for Angelique, who taunts, "From tycoon to lackey--my, how the mighty are fallen." (A favorite line of many, including me.) She grins at him.
Though not so classic for Lara Parker as in a piece she wrote for The DS Companion she confused the wording of the taunt and thought she delivered it to Nicholas!!  [ghost_rolleyes])

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Nicholas - 'Now, we MUST work very quickly, Bruno') was back on February 18th of 2021.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: August 27, 2022, 01:30:14 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #774 (1897) - Judith - 'I'm sure that she would be the first one to tell you that your life must go on.'

From "Robservations 1/21/03 - #774-775 - The End For Rachel?"
it's Judith.  She expresses her condolences and offers help in his loss.  He apologizes for being startled at seeing her there--I should have known a woman of your high character would respond to anther's grief.  I didn't know Minerva well, begins Judith.  She wasn't easy to know, says Trask, bowing his lying head--but she was a devoted wife and good woman.  I felt that the first time I met her, agrees Judith.  Choking up, Trask says, that's very kind of you--I tried to be brave about this, because it's what Minerva would have wanted, but it's so difficult.  I understand perfectly, she assures him.  She was his strength, sighs Trask, my whole reason for being, and her passing has left a void which may be impossible to fill...  Judith, her hand on his arm, says, Minerva would be the first one to tell you your life must go on.  He covers her hand and tells Judith, you knew Minerva better than you thought you did--my life must go on, he agrees, but what of the school?--what will become of it without Minerva?  The school still has you, points out Judith.  No, dear lady, he says, at best I'm a competent administrator, but Minerva was the driving force, the life blood of this institution, and without her, the future seems very bleak.  With all due respect, says Judith, I don't believe that--I have faith in you, and the future of your school.  "Miss Collins," he says, taking her hands, "I am not deserving of such faith."  (Or much else!)
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 28, 2022, 12:08:18 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #671 (1969) - Carolyn - 'I MUST go on believing she'll be with us again. I MUST go on believing that.'

From "Robservations 10/1/02 - #670/671 - Carolyn, Liz & the Werewolf"
Carolyn stands beside her mother's coffin, thinking over what Maggie told her about no one being able to return from the dead. Carolyn, crying, clasps her face and moans. I must go on believing you'll be with us again, she tells herself.
In her coffin, Liz, eyes closed, tells Carolyn, "I AM alive, and must find a way to tell you--you're in terrible danger!" "Good night, Mother," says Carolyn. Liz wonders why she can't make herself heard. Silently, she begs Carolyn to stay with her. Turning away from the door as if she'd heard something, Carolyn dismisses it and leaves the cute little tomb they built for Liz. The werewolf is in the woods, prowling, growling.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Chris - 'I guess I fell asleep. I MUST NOT of heard the phone') was back on April 5th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 29, 2022, 01:42:31 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #611 (1968) - Nicholas - 'You MUST pretend.'

From "Robservations 8/19/02 - #610/611 - Back in Time; Harry's Repulsive Order"
Peter and Jeff are one and the same, insists Eve--I also recalled I loved Peter enough to kill for him. Philippe Cordier, guesses Nicholas, who says he knows all about her past; YOU are the one in the dark. Philippe and I came from France after the French Revolution, and I fell in love with Peter here, she says--Philippe tried to keep me away from Peter, so I knifed him to death. You weren't very nice in your other life, says Nicholas. Now I understand my urge to kill Adam, she says. An urge you will never fulfill, says Nick. You can't force me to love Adam, says Eve. Nick says you must pretend--someone as fundamentally evil as you are can do it--forget Peter, orders Nicholas--I have my ways of making you forget.
They smile at each other. I don't believe your threats, she says, if you were going to punish me, you would have done it before. Grandly, she leaves the room, running into Adam, who demands to know where she's going. She says nothing, but leaves the house in a flutter of filmy black.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 30, 2022, 02:24:54 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Eps #459 & #661 (1796) - Joshua - 'I MUST destroy you!'

The reason that quote is attributed to two different eps is because it was originally said in Ep #459 -

From "#0459/0460: Robservations 04/26/02: Finale"
Joshua comes downstairs and tells them that there's no need for a doctor--"Your mother is dead." Barnabas face crumples with grief. Joshua asks Ben to leave them, he wants to talk to Barn alone--but stick around, he'll need him later. Joshua assures Barn Naomi died quietly, but this is little consolation to Barnabas. Joshua feels he's to blame for her death, too, she wouldn't have taken her own life if she felt she could turn to him. Barnabas says he never heard his father speak this way before. She told me she loved me, says Joshua. "You didn't know?" asks Barnabas, but Joshua said he thought she'd stopped loving him long ago. "Because you stopped loving her," says Barnabas. "Perhaps," says Joshua--I wanted to love her, she was my wife. But you didn't, says Barnabas. Uncomfortable, Joshua suggests he's incapable of loving anyone. It could be your salvation, says Barnabas--you can't love me, so you won't be a victim of the curse. (As if he isn't already a victim--he's lost his sister, daughter, wife and, for all intents and purposes, his son!) The curse must be ended, insists Joshua, and he'll do it. He can't allow this to go on any longer, anymore people to die--he must destroy him

- as well as in Ep #661 as part of a flashback when Barnabas was explaining to Julia about the events of his last day in 1796 -

From "Robservations 9/24/02 - #660-661 - A Trip Back to the Past"
Joshua comes in and tells them there's no need for a doctor--"Your mother is dead." Barnabas' face crumples in grief.

Barnabas continues telling Julia that for his father, the agony of that terrible night had only begun--he still had to face the task of disposing of me. Joshua insists the curse must be ended. Barnabas tells him it cannot be ended, but Joshua says it will, and he will do it--I can't allow more people to die--I must destroy you.
[/spoiler]

And we can definitely see that Robin didn't simply copy what she'd already written for the Robservations for Ep #459 when she did the one for Ep #661 because they're different. In fact, the quote is referenced correctly in the Robservations for Ep #661...

And there's a good reason that the Robservations for Ep #661 makes no reference to Ben and that's because all of Ben's parts in the scene were edited out for the flashback. And there's also a good reason why none of Joshua's inability to love is referenced and that's because it doesn't appear in the flashback either.

And this is the second quote from these eps. The first was (Joshua - 'You have caused enough destruction. You MUST NOT cause more') back on May 4th of 2021.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 30, 2022, 10:42:07 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #230 (1967) - Barnabas - 'I MUST teach you your lesson, Willie!'

From "#0229/0230: Robservations 11/1/01: Connections"
Barnabas grills Willie--how did he know people were coming to search for Maggie, and how did they know where to look?  Willie denies giving them any information, but Barnabas doesn't believe him; he lifts his cane high and brings it down on Willie, who cries out in agony.
[/spoiler]

This Robservations falls into the period where there isn't much detail. However, after Willie continues to deny things, Barnabas chastises, "You shouldn't have done that, Willie. That means I going to have to punish you."And after that is when Barnabas delivers the quote...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Barnabas - 'You MUST have told them. You MUST have betrayed me') was back on February 7th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 31, 2022, 03:32:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #159 (1967) - Vicki - 'But you MUST understand.'

From "#0158/0159: Robservations 09/11/01: Liz Loses All Her Marbles"
I didn't realize that I was keeping David from his studies, says Laura. I didn't mean to blame you, it's not your fault, says Vicki, but you must understand, with Mrs. Stoddard so sick, we have to try and keep things running as smoothly as possible. I agree with you completely, says Laura, you're a very bright, loyal girl. Thank you, says Vicki. Did you notice how I backed you up about David's studies? Yes, says Vicki. And how willing I was to make adjustments? says Laura. Yes, you saved me from quite a scrap with him, agrees Vicki. I'm very glad about that, says Laura--however, I am a little disappointed in you, Vicki. Why? asks Vicki. Because you were so helpful to me in that very difficult beginning with David, says Laura--but right now you're not backing me up--I wonder why? Vicki turns away, uncomfortable.
[/spoiler]

This Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And given how often over the course of the show Vicki says she doesn't understand, isn't it ironic to see Vicki telling someone else they must understand?  [ghost_wink] Though at this point on the show, and especially during this storyline, Vicki does understand quite a lot and figures out things before anyone else. If only they continued writing her that way. Chances are Alexandra wouldn't have become quite as dissatisfied playing Vicki as she eventually would. But once Art Wallace left...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Vicki - 'You MUST remember that she hasn't been out of here for 18 years. Something's keeping her here') was back on November 2nd, and the second (Laura - 'David, we MUST never let anyone come between us') was back on November 14th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: September 01, 2022, 03:26:45 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

Ep #54 (1966) - Roger - 'You MUST have gone to a great deal of trouble to pick out something in such poor taste!'

From "#0053/0054: Robservations 06/25/01: Collinsport, Patterson's Town"
Doesn't it bother you that the manager of your plant seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth? Asks Burke. Of course it bothers me, says Roger--I've been making inquiries, asking questions. With what results? asks Burke. None at all, says Roger--perhaps I should ask my son to look into his crystal ball. Never mind the cracks, says Burke. And you never mind sending gifts to my son, especially gifts of that nature, says Roger. What's wrong with what I sent him? asks Burke. It was possibly one of the most inappropriate things you could have selected, says Roger, for an over sensitive, over-imaginative child--you must have gone to a great deal of trouble to pick out something in such poor taste! Burke grins mischievously and says he thought David might get a kick out of it--Lord knows, the kid has little enough fun in that tomb you call a home--anyway, that's neither here nor there.
[/spoiler]

One of Roger's best lines of the pre-Barn era!  [ghost_grin]  And I LOVE Burke's grin:

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Burke - 'He MUST have had a terrible worry on his mind') was back on October 18th of 2020.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 02, 2022, 02:30:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #544 (1968) - Prof. Stokes - 'Learning MUST come first.'

From "Robservations 7/1/02 - Stokes Demands Answers - #544/545"
Stokes observes the cheerless surroundings and hands Adam a bunch of books, a writing pad and some pencils. Adam is pleased, but unhappy Stokes can't stick around. Stokes says Carolyn will help him, but first. . .Adam admits to liking Carolyn very much, but Stokes warns him against liking her TOO much. Stokes feels ill equipped to answer Adam's why, wishing he'd had the foresight to marry and raise a family. He sits down beside Adam and orders him not to panic if anyone else discovers him. Just tell Carolyn, says Stokes, she's his friend and knows what's best for him--obey her wishes--most important are your studies, says Stokes; everyone has warm feelings toward certain other people, which is fine, but for Adam, learning must come first--the sooner he's educated, the sooner he can leave the room and go out among other people.
Adam agrees to concentrate on reading and writing.
[/spoiler]

And this is the third quote from this ep - and they're all from Prof.Stokes. The first (Prof. Stokes - 'If anyone else discovers you, as Mrs. Johnson's son did yesterday, you MUSTN'T panic or be frightened') was back on July 29th of 2020, and the second (Prof. Stokes - 'I MUST be more careful. There are times when even a momentary loss of self-control can be dangerous') was back on June 22nd of 2021.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 03, 2022, 01:52:03 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #29 (1966) - Vicki - 'I know how worried you MUST have been.'

From "#0029/0030: Robservations 06/07/01: David Befriends the Monster"
Vicki sits on her window seat, gazing out at the estate. Liz knocks at her door. Vicki lets her in. Liz says she wanted to be sure her windows were tightly shut; she thinks there's going to be a storm. Liz leans out to close them herself. I can take care of that, protests Vicki. It's no bother, says Liz, closing the windows. Carolyn's gone to town, says Liz--we had a call, David's there, she's gone to try and find him. Then he's all right, says Vicki eagerly. As far as we know, says Liz, looking at her hands--I'm a foolish woman, and I say many foolish things--I want to apologize for the way I talked to you. I know how worried you must have been, says Vicki. Worried?--yes I was, and still am, says Liz, but I'm afraid I was trying to deny reality--and trying to make you suffer for it. I'm sure David will be all right, Vicki assures her.
I hope so, says Liz, he belongs to this house, and there's no peace here, not for me, or Carolyn, or poor little David--and I'm not sure there ever can be peace.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: September 04, 2022, 02:12:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #132 (1966) - Roger - 'Well, what I said earlier MUST be true-- he certainly MUST have overheard us talking about her.'

From "#(0131_)0132/0133: Robservations 08/21/01: Burke and Laura"
David asks if he can go to his room now. Don't you want us to tell you more about your mother? asks Liz. I know all there is to know, he says--can I go? I suppose so, if you want to, says Liz. I do, says David, and leaves the room. Well, says Roger, that was certainly strange. Certainly was, agrees Liz. I imagined a hundred different ways he would take the news, says Roger, but I certainly didn't think he would be quiet and thoughtful--it's so unlike him. How could he have known what I was going to tell him? asks Liz. What I said earlier must be true, says Roger, he must have heard us talking about her. Roger, says Liz, he was able to describe the coat he had on--it was blue, and he said he saw her sitting over there and she was--he said she kept staring into the fire and I noticed that, too--how could he have known all those things? He probably saw Laura, says Roger. He couldn't have, says Liz, he was sound asleep when she was here. We thought he was asleep, says Roger, he must have sneaked down and taken a peek--that's the only logical explanation I can think of. It's logical, agrees Liz, but it is correct? What are you saying? asks Roger--are you saying the boy has extrasensory perception? I don't know what I think, says Liz, I just know I looked in on him earlier and he was asleep--he was still asleep when Laura left the house--there is no way on earth he could have known how to describe those things.
[/spoiler]

This Robservations references the quote practically perfectly...

And though it's a natural gesture for Roger/Louis to have crossed his arms in Roger's confusion, it's not a gesture we normally see on Roger -

- In fact, I can't think of any other time that we see it. But then Roger is normally so certain of his opinions - even when he's dead wrong...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Roger - 'He MUST have sneaked down and taken a peek-- that's the only logical explanation I can think of') was back on April 20th of 2021, and the second (David - 'No, it wasn't me. You MUST'VE heard somebody else') was back on September 2nd of 2021, exactly a year earlier...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: September 05, 2022, 02:02:07 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #221 (1967) - Barnabas - 'You MUST and you will.'

From "#0220/0221: Robservations 10/25/01: Barnabas Meets Maggie"
Willie knows Barnabas left the cane behind on purpose, but he drops that line of questioning when ordered to go do his usual grisly task. Willie's almost crying, begging, saying he'll go crazy if he has to, but Barnabas orders him to do it
[/spoiler]

This Robservations is also in the period where there is little detail. However, the portion of the scene in which the quote comes up is referenced because the quote is Barnabas' order...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: September 06, 2022, 02:38:04 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #375 (1795) - Countess du Pres - 'I am asking you. If you want me to cover up for you then you MUST share your confidences with me.'

From "#0374/0375: Robservations 02/27/02: Caught in Each Other's Arms"
Josette tells her aunt she wasn't feeling well, and asks her to go with Barnabas to the cabinetmaker to choose their furniture. Natalie is perturbed, reminding Josette she'll have to live with that furniture for the rest of her life--she should pick it out herself. Natalie delicately asks if Josette is fearful of marriage--or Barnabas (I guess she was talking about sex). No, Josette assures her, she'd marry Barnabas tonight if she could. Natalie questions her further, and mentions how handsome Jeremiah is. Josette nervously disagrees.
Natalie asks her niece to go along with Barnabas to the cabinetmaker, but if she wants her to cover for her, she's going to have to be more forthcoming. . .
[/spoiler]

This Robservations references the quote but paraphrases it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: September 07, 2022, 02:58:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #473 (1968) - Cassandra - 'Oh you MUSTN'T go.'

From "#0473/0474: Robservations 05/08/02: A Startling Elopement"
A pleased-looking Cassandra examines the foyer. Barnabas gazes carefully at her. She wishes she and Roger weren't going on a honeymoon; this house is more foreign to her than Martinique would be. More so, suggests Barn, and she asks what he means by that. She remarks that the portrait is a perfect likeness of him, and Barnabas explains that is isn't his portrait, look at the clothes--he's an ancestor. How unusual the likeness, she says, and Barnabas excuses himself. "Don't go," she says, a little too forcefully. He says they'll see each other again soon. "Inevitably," she says. "Yes, inevitably," agrees Barnabas, and leaves. She smiles at the portrait.
[/spoiler]

Who knows why the Robservations directly quotes Cassandra's line as "Don't go" rather than "Oh you mustn't go," which is what she actually says?! But sometimes ours is not to try to fathom these things...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: September 08, 2022, 02:42:18 PM »

Ep #639 (1968) - Julia - 'Amy, you MUST realize that I am responsible for you.'

From "Robservations 9/10/02 - #639/640 - Ghosts and Werewolves, Oh My!"
Julia wonders what to do about Amy, Chris' sister. Amy doesn't want to go back, but Julia says you must go--you shouldn't have run away; your treatment is important. Amy says she only needs her brother, and she'll find him. Julia promises to have Chris come to see her at Windcliff tomorrow. Heartbreakingly, Amy begs not to be sent back; Chris promised her he'd stay and never go away again--he'll take care of her. Julia explains--I'm responsible for you, Amy. Chris will do that, says the little girl. I haven't been able to reach him, explains Julia.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote well, though not completely...