Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118456 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #765 on: May 17, 2021, 11:44:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #56 (1966) - Sam - 'Can't you see, Collins?-- It builds up like... like an inverted pyramid that sooner or later MUST topple over of its own weight.'

From "#0055/0056: Robservations 06/26/01:"
Blue Whale - How long can we go on telling lies? Sam asks Roger--they are now standing by the window--how long can we continue building a wall with bricks that have no substance? Those bricks will be real as long as we say they are, says Roger. It won't work, insists Sam, What would you prefer? Asks Roger--telling the sheriff that Malloy called that meeting to clear Burke's name manslaughter conviction--that you had information that would prove me guilty of that crime? But to pile lie upon lie, says Sam, can't you see--it build up like an inverted pyramid that sooner of later must topple of its own weight! Not if we stand together, points out Roger as they both sit down at the table--I'd better point out something to you--if Malloy had shown up at that meeting and proved his accusation, you wouldn't be sitting here today--you'd be in prison, awaiting trial, as an accessory after the fact--you know that, don't you? Yes, says Sam, rubbing his beard.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote quite well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: May 18, 2021, 06:22:52 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #449 (1796) - Countess du Pres - 'But her painting was hanging here the night he died. I was in this room. I saw his body carried from the house. You MUST be mistaken.'

From "#0449/0450: Robservations 04/19/02: Joshua Tries to Make it Right"
At the Old House, Joshua impatiently checks his pocketwatch, then paces a few steps. He looks out the window. Natalie knocks at the door and he lets her in. He thanks her for meeting him. He sent her a note, which has made her curious. He gave great thought to where they could meet, which she calls flattering. This is difficult for him, he admits. She tells him she hoped never to enter the house again. Josette's portrait is gone, shocking her. He says Barnabas hung it in Josette's room. It was there the night he died, she reminds him, he must be mistaken. Joshua agrees, the portrait was there, and Barnabas DID move it. He tells her Barnabas isn't dead, which puzzles her. He doesn't understand himself, says Joshua.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references only about half of the quote, but at least it does reference half...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Nathan - 'You MUST. You will. Tonight') was back on September 4th, and the second (Countess du Pres - 'Then...then I MUST accept') was back on April 12th...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 18, 2021, 10:28:54 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #587 (1968) - Maggie - 'Oh, Willie, you MUST be crazy.'

From "Robservations 8/1/02 - #586/587 - Things Come to a Head"
In the mausoleum, Willie ponders Maggie sleeping on the cold floor, and wonders, how can he keep watching her all the time? How will he know if it's safe to let her go? Where will he get food? He can't go to the Old House. . .into town. He kneels and is about to touch Maggie, but stops. He opens the step the contains the hidden door release and leaves the secret room. Willie creeps to the wrought iron gate. Maggie stirs, sees the still-open door, and quietly slips out. Willie returns to the secret room and sees she is gone. "Maggie!" he cries, looking around. Maggie crouches behind Sarah's coffin, out of Willie's view. He returns to the secret room, calling her. She leaves her hiding place and rushes for the door. Willie spots her, grabs her, and they struggle. She begs him to let her go, and he tells her he's doing this for her own good. She tells him he's crazy, making up a story about Barnabas trying to hurt her. Willie protests he's more sane than he's ever been
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote fairly well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 19, 2021, 06:40:25 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #743 (1897) - Laura - 'Quentin and Barnabas. I've been expecting them. Oh, they MUST be very anxious over the state of my health.'

From "Robservations 12/17/02 - #742-743 - Laura Sends Jenny After Q"
they are interrupted by a knock at the door.  I know who my visitors are, says Laura, I've been expecting them--they must be very anxious over the state of my health--sit down and be calm.  She lets in Quentin and Barnabas, calling this "a pleasant surprise."  Q humorously observes Dirk and asks if they've come at a bad time.  Not at all, she assures him--Dirk was helping me rearrange some furniture, and I invited him for a drink.  Rearranging furniture all evening? asks Q. Yup, says Laura--that seems to surprise you.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations makes it seem as if after the knock at the door Laura actually says she knows who her visitors are in as many words, but she doesn't. What she actually says is simply their names, just as is quoted. But at least the rest of the quote is referenced correctly...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Jenny - 'You MUST be very solemn and respectful of the dead') was back on December 1st.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: May 19, 2021, 11:02:26 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #923 (1970) - Sky - 'You MUST be a true art lover.'

From "Robservations 5/2/03 - #922/923 - Death Comes For Amanda; Mrs. Sky Rumson"
The Rumson mansion, Little Windward Island - Sky is on the phone, ordering a plane to be here at 7 sharp--and have a helicopter waiting to take us into the city--Mrs. Rumson isn't going with me to Washington, he says, unfortunately, so cancel all appointments next weekend, we're coming back here...no arguments!--do it! commands Sky. Julia is waiting until he finishes this phone call (luxurious living room!) I'm sorry for keeping you waiting, says Sky. It kind of you to let me intrude, she responds. I don't know how you found us, says Sky, few people do. There was a reason, she says. If it's business, says Sky, call my office in the city, any weekday--if you're soliciting for a charity, get in touch with my executive secretary. He jabs a cigar in his mouth. It's about a Tate painting you own, explains Julia. A View From South Wales? he asks. Yes, says Julia, is it here, can I see it?  You're something new for me, says Sky--driving 50 miles, hiring a launch just to see a painting. It's most important, she assures him.  You must be a true art lover, comments Sky, who leads her to a wall and turns on a light over the painting.  She examines it, thinking to herself, it's the right size--but how can I tell if there's anything beneath it?--I must get it to Prof. Osmond.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 20, 2021, 10:26:19 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #976 (1970PT) - Roger - 'People like ourselves are living a completely different existence... here in this room. I MUST find Barnabas and tell him.'

From "Robservations 6/11/03 - #976-977 - Tragic Attack"
Roger wends his way through old furniture and cobwebs in the east wing.  He opens the doors and sees Bruno lighting a cigarette. Roger, unable to enter the room, is stunned to see a man he  saw die a short time ago. Bruno! he calls. Bruno speaks to Angelique's portrait--you're still as beautiful as ever, he says--I remember the day you sat for this portrait, listening to the music I composed for you, the music that will keep your memory alive forever. Liz enters and icily asks Bruno, "What are you doing here?"  Roger, watching, is absolutely amazed. You always did have a knack for showing up unexpectedly, says Bruno.  Why have you come back? Liz asks angrily.  I belong here, he claims. You're the only one who thinks so, he retorts. Wrong--she thought so, says Bruno, gesturing to Angelique's portrait. Quentin is returning soon and will never let you stay here, says Liz. I understand he's married, says Bruno. Yes, says Liz. Won't he be in for a surprise, predicts Bruno--do you think that she will let another woman come into this house?--she won't, you know that as well as I do. Why does everyone keep talking about her as if she were alive? asks Liz--it's frightening. Nothing was ever frightening about her, says Bruno--you were all envious of her because she was the most beautiful creature that had ever graced this earth. I think you'd better leave now, advises Liz. Fortunately for you, says Bruno, I have no desire to argue with you, so I'll see you around, my DEAR Elizabeth. She gazes hatefully after him, then stares at the portrait. Barnabas wasn't imagining things, says Roger, people like ourselves are living a completely different existence, here in this room--I must tell him.
Roger turns to go, then hears his own voice, inquiring, was that the temperamental boy wonder I saw leave the room just now?  Roger turns back, fascinated. Yes, Liz tells PT Roger--he's come back. Back to compose more of his morbid music and bore us with his tiresome memories of her? wonders Roger--it will be worth it to see the look on Quentin's face when he finds out. Roger stares at his counterpart, flabbergasted, as PT Roger laughs.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations drops a portion of the last part of the quote...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Bruno - 'I don't like doing it, Carolyn-- But it MUST be done-- Jeb MUST be punished') was back on October 9th, and the second (Roger - 'I am... but I'm, um... there's something I MUST do before I GO to bed') was back on January 8th...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 21, 2021, 08:26:50 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #329 (1967) - Dr. Woodard - 'His heart beat's almost back to normal. He MUST have the constitution of an ox.'

From "#0329/0330: Robservations 01/24/02: Dr. Barnabas Collins"
Dave examines Willie, who is doing better every moment. He tells Julia the transfusions worked, and she responds, "That's wonderful, Dave," very unenthusiastically.
[/spoiler]

Another Robservations from the period when there isn't as much detail so the way the quote fits into its surrounding area is that the scene starts off with Dr. Woodard moving to examine Willie with Julia soon moving to his side. Checking Willie's heart, Wooddard comments that it's amazing. Jula asks if Willie is still improving and Woodard responds with the quote, to which Julia offers the alternative that perhaps Willie wasn't hurt as badly as they thought. But Woodard counters that when he brought Willie out of the operating room he wouldn't have given him one chance in a hundred and then adds that it must (yes, another "must" line!) have been the transfusions that did the trick. And after Julia asks if he definitely thinks Willie will live, Woodard says it looks that way--as long as he continues to respond to the transfusions. Julia is concerned by that prognosis and barely covers with, as the Robsevations describes it, an unenthusiactic, "Well, that's wonderful, Dave."

She lights up a cigarette (really freaky to see this in a hospital room!) as Dave explains he doubts Willie was the kidnapper.

No matter how often I see this ep, and no matter the fact that I know Julia is going to do it, I'm still shocked when Julia lights up a cigarette in a hospital room. Though it was allowed back then - and in this case at least it's better than if she was smoking in a hospital room with an operating oxygen tent!!  [easter_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: May 22, 2021, 11:42:24 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #1095 (1970) - Barnabas - 'But a room with a toy and a carousel. Now you MUST have seen it.'

From "#1095/1096: Robservations 09/08/03: Chilling Farewells"
It's difficult to believe that anyone with second sight, a talent like that, could get it that quickly, remarks Barnabas. Perhaps I've always had it, she says, and simply didn't realize it. Could you demonstrate this talent for us, asks Barn, or do you p[refer to keep it a secret?  It's no secret, she says. Prove it, he challenges. I don't have to! she insists--I can see the past, it's as real to me as this day here. You've always been willing to help us, he says, are you now?--I must know why you want that song--can you see into the past?--if you can, you can help us--where did you learn that song?--in some other time--some other life?  I think so, replies Carolyn, smiling, yes. Where? asks Barnabas, think!--in this room, Carolyn? She sees a vision of the turning carousel.  "There's a carousel, turning," she describes--"toys, so many toys..." She stops.
Go on, says Barnabas--you were in the playroom Julia and I saw in 1998 (?) the playroom that doesn't exist in this house now. Then how could I have been there? she asks. Because you found it, says Julia, you must take us there. You're mad! she accuses, I simply described the room! But a room with a toy carousel, points out Barnabas--you must have seen it. In my mind I saw it, she says. Is that all? he asks--you must be honest. I AM being honest, says Carolyn, near tears, why do you keep after me, I've helped you all I can, why do you keep bothering me like this?--leave me alone!  She sits in a chair and cries.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations goofs up the quote by saying Barnabas simply said a "toy carousel" rather than "a toy and a carousel" - but other than that it references the quote well.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 23, 2021, 07:36:34 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #1111 (1840) - Flora - 'But you MUST read it, though. It's by far my best work. Oh I do hope the critics notice.'

From "#1111/1112: Robservations 09/18/03: Julia in Jeopardy"
Flora herself, book in hand, red shawl on her arms, enters Collinwood with a cheery, "Hello?!"  She runs into the drawing room, smiling, and finds Gabriel, who wishes her good morning.  She's startled to see him and gasps, then says she doesn't know what to you--she supposes it's the excitement--a migraine, isn't it typical.  He nods.  And my horoscope promised me a triumphant day, she complains, sounding rather like a disappointed little girl--and then a migraine, just as I was stepping into my carriage--is he here? she asks, smiling girlishly.  Is who here? asks Gabriel sourly.  The healer, she says.  You give the most improbably names to the most improbable people, says Gabriel, what is that?  My new novel, she says, presenting it to him--isn't it GLORIOUS?  I don't know, I haven't read it yet, he says, examining it--did you bring it for me?  No, not exactly, she says hesitantly, but you must read it, though--it's by far my best work--I do hope the critics notice.  A SUMMER'S DEATH, he reads.  In three parts, adds Flora, the book, not the death--it's an ironic title--it's a story about love, a love that endures until the lovers die.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And even though it doesn't really have to be included to explain the quote, I included Flora's remark about her book being in three parts, not the death, because, as I mentioned in reply #699 from back in March, I love that remark...

And I really have to thank Midnite for selecting the quote because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get a screen capture that illustrates Flora to a T:

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Daniel - 'And now we MUST play the little game again. You were always so stubborn, Harriet!') was back on July 11th...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 23, 2021, 10:40:06 PM »
Joan Bennett didn't have all that much to do in this storyline but her Flora was just an absolute delight every time she showed up. It's one of Joan's most interesting characters and somewhat reminiscent of Billie Burke.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 24, 2021, 04:21:07 PM »
I've always sensed that Flora was more like Joan herself than any of her other characters, not the ditziness but the lilt of her tone when speaking. I saw her on Mike Douglas I think it was and she had this same quality while describing Dark Shadows. At least that has been my memory of it these past few decades. I told someone this and they didn't agree. It was just an impression, tho, based on that memory.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: May 24, 2021, 05:26:53 PM »
At least one of Joan's appearances on The Mike Douglas Show appears on the DS DVDs. I haven't seen it in years so I'm going to have to hunt it down to see what I think. Though even without seeing it again I'll say that I've always found Joan much more outgoing in real life than most of her characters appeared on DS. But then those characters weren't given much opportunity to show an outgoing side because they were always steeped in one crisis after another.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 25, 2021, 05:22:14 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #1205 (1841PT) - Morgan - 'Well you MUST let her out!'

From "#1205/1206: Robservations 12/12/03: Wedding Interruptus"
I never dreamed anything like this would happen--we meant no harm.  Who are you talking about? asks Morgan.  Your mother and I, explains Julia--Stella did not leave Collinwood--your father tried to...he wasn't himself--that monstrous room!  Julia please tell me! he insists.  Flora and I discovered Justin threatening Stella--if we hadn't gone in there that very minute, he would have killed her--WE saved her!--but we couldn't allow her to stay in this house, not knowing what she knew about your father, and heaven knows what else--so we locked her in the tower.  You WHAT? cries Morgan.  We didn't mean her harm! exclaims Julia.  You must let her out! says Morgan.  We can't, says Julia.  This is outrageous, he says--have you lost your mind, too?
[/spoiler]

Again the Robservations has a perfect reference to the quote...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 26, 2021, 05:30:41 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #33 (1966) - Liz - 'No one MUST know that. Remember that. No one.'

From "#0033/0034: Robservations 06/11/01: Into the Whirlpool"
Then he didn't admit to tampering with the brakes on his father's car, says Carolyn. I told you, says Liz, he wouldn't speak--a nine year old boy lying on his bed, terrified. But you know now that he was responsible, says Carolyn. Yes I know, admits Liz, sighing. It's all over then, isn't it? asks Carolyn. I don't think so, her mother says, it will go on and on--Carolyn, when you were in town, did you tell anybody why David ran away. No, says Carolyn. No one must know it, no one, cautions Liz. But how do you explain what happened to the car? asks Carolyn. I've already taken care of that, says Liz, I said the brakes failed--it was an accident.
[/spoiler]

While not including the whole thing, the Robservations references the quote fairly well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 27, 2021, 07:30:18 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #329 (1967) - Sheriff Patterson - 'I'll get it. It MUST be my deputy. I told him to contact me if there was any change in Willie.'

From "#0329/0330: Robservations 01/24/02: Dr. Barnabas Collins"
[/spoiler]

Another Robservations from the period when there isn't as much detail and like others, because of that lack of detail, the quote isn't referenced in even the slightest. But the way the quote fits into its surrounding area is that the scene starts off with Barnabas assuring Sam that if there's anything he can do to help Sam or his daughter to be sure to call on him. Sam says that very kind of him. But suddenly Barnabas is startled by a knock at the door and comments that it's odd because he wasn't expecting visitors. However, that's when Sheriff Patterson explains with the quote. Barnabas then moves to the foyer as the Sheriff answers the door, whereupon the deputy informs the Sheriff is needed at the hospital right away because Willie is coming out of the coma and is expected to be able to talk. This panics Barnabas, especially when the sheriff says he'll be able to get the truth out of Willie and that by the time the night is over they'll know everything. (Break for theme.)

And the reason nothing is quoted from Ep #329 is because all of what I've just summarized was actually a part-restaging of the ending of Ep #328 - and because the Robservations for that ep had already done a (very) basic summation of it (still minus not only the sheriff's quote but much of the beginning of the scene) -
From "#0327/0328: Robservations 01/24/02: Barnabas Frames Willie"
Barnabas tells Sam and George that he feels responsible for Willie's reprehensible actions and tells Sam to let him know if he or Maggie ever need anything. A deputy knocks at the door--Willie's coming out of the coma!
Sheriff Patterson vows to get the truth out of him.
- the scene isn't summarized again for Ep #329. (And it's also worth noting that Vince O'Brien played Sheriff Patterson in Ep #328, whereas Dana Elcar was back for Ep #329.)

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Sheriff Patterson - 'Well, he MUST be') was back on August 12th, and the second (Dr. Woodard - 'His heart beat's almost back to normal. He MUST have the constitution of an ox') was back on May 19th.