Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 117316 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #480 on: November 16, 2020, 11:06:05 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #178 (1967) - Laura - 'MUST you reduce everything to its lowest common denominator? An investigator of psychic phenomenon.'

From "#0178/0179: Robservations 09/25/01: Tales From the Crypt"
What do you think of this Dr. Guthrie? she asks angrily. Not very much, he says, What do you think he is--why do you suppose he's here? she asks. He's some sort of psychologist who's trying to find the cause of Liz' illness, says Roger. And does that make any sense to you? she asks. Frankly, no, says Roger, but it's what Carolyn wants and I can't question it--Liz is her mother. He's not just a psychologist, she says, he's a parapsychologist. One of those ghost chasers? asks Roger. Must you reduce everything to its lowest commons denominator? she asks sourly--an investigator of psychic phenomena. Why didn't Carolyn tells me this? demands Roger, angry now. Because she doesn't trust you, says Laura. Who else knows about this? asks Roger. I don't know, says Laura--Vicki, Frank Garner, everyone, I suppose. Except me, says Roger, isn't that just fine!--why is he here? If you want to know the answer to that, you'd better ask Carolyn, she says. Of course, says Roger, it all fits in now--a seance--whoever heard of a real psychologist trying to commune with the spirit world?--but why?--what's he up to? I have no idea, says Laura. It's all so confusing, says Roger--he turns to Laura--but then, everything that's happened since your return is confusing. You're not going to start that business up again, are you? she asks. What business? he asks. Everyone's favorite game around here--guilt by innuendo, she says--this is New England and obviously witch hunting is still your favorite sport. Why did Vicki scream out during the seance? asks Roger. Ask Vicki, not me! says Laura. And that body in Phoenix, continues Roger, why did it disappear? She rises to her feet. Surely it is apparent by now I am here, not there, she says, so how would I know? She lights a cigarette. And Liz, says Roger, you were the last person to see her. I didn't hit her over the head, says Laura--I wanted to often enough, but I never did it. (LOL, delicious!) Why didn't you mention it immediately? he asks. It was a very confusing day, she says, there was no reason for me to assume I was the last person to see her. Are you telling me everything? he asks--there's nothing you're hiding?--you'd better tell me because I'll find out anyway
--whatever it is, you'd better tell me, Laura. She turns to face him. There is nothing, she says, nothing! She walks away from him and sits by the fire, cigarette in hand. (their head to head here was marvelous--guilt by innuendo indeed!--and she is the closest thing to a witch we have until Angelique makes her entrance)
[/spoiler]

And yes, again, though it doesn't use the direct quote, the Robservations perfectly references it. We're getting spoiled...

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 17, 2020, 04:01:31 PM »
Re: Mr Wells being a notorious town gossip, embellishment is all that is. Anyone can write whatever they want and upload it to the internet as fact.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 17, 2020, 04:56:40 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Yes, it could easily just be embellishment.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 17, 2020, 05:30:50 PM »
Wonderful glimpses of 1967 Laura yesterday

Yes, I also liked that screen cap - and here it is for anyone who might have missed it:

Plus, two things I'd wanted to mention when I posted the quote/Robservations but forgot to:

I absolutely love this:

From "#0178/0179: Robservations 09/25/01: Tales From the Crypt"
And Liz, says Roger, you were the last person to see her. I didn't hit her over the head, says Laura--I wanted to often enough, but I never did it. (LOL, delicious!)

Delicious indeed! The writers give Laura such great dialogue!!  [hall2_grin]

And:

It's interesting that the dress Laura is wearing in the scene came up so soon after it was mentioned a little over a week ago (in reply #147 of the "Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 4, The Book That Never Was" topic) because it sold for $1200 at the '95 NYC Fest. I wonder if the person who bought it has ever worn it and if they still have it. I suspect the answer to both questions is yes. (Though I also suspect there might be fans who would be willing to pay even more for it because of it's Cassandra connection. Though it just occurred to me that Cassandra never wore it in 1970 (as the section from SG #74 says) - Cassandra wasn't even on the show in 1970 - she wore it in 1968. In fact, she's seen wearing it in the screen caps for this slideshow's -

- May 29th installment.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 18, 2020, 09:06:38 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #271 (1949) - Liz - 'MUST I?'

From "#0271/0272: Robservations 12/05/01: Digging Up Paul"
He assured her that, for Carolyn's sake (the bastard), he would bury the body in a trunk in the basement, and she would have to stand guard from then on to make sure no one found out (explaining her 18 year self-imprisonment; as the keeper of the key to the crime, she had to stick around and protect it).
[/spoiler]

Well, the streak comes to an end. But I suppose that's what happens after you say you're getting spoiled. Plus this is one of the Robservations where there is little detail.

So, as for what actually happens in the scene, after Jason comes up from the basement, he finds Liz still pretty much out of it as she leans against the wall near the entrance to the foyer. Thunder echoes around her. He informs her that he did what they planned and now no one will ever know. Liz echoes, "No one?" "No, no," he assures her. Then after taking her arm he instructs, "Come with me." "Where?" Liz asks as she resists. Jason says he has to show her where it is. "No," she protests. But Jason explains that she has to close up the room and lock it and not let anyone in there because otherwise they'll find out. Liz still protests, "No. You lock it. You do it. And then give me the key." Then it's Jason's turn to protest, "No, no, no, I have to show you where it is so that you'll know. You'll know I did my work. Now come on." And it's at that moment that Liz asks the quote. A loud clasp of thunder rumbles as Jason replies, "Yes, ma'am, ya must." Liz sighs like going down the basement is the absolute last thing she wants to do but she then begins to move off followed by Jason.

This is actually the second quote from the ep. The first (Jason - 'You MUST all try to be very calm.') was back on April 24th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 20, 2020, 04:50:06 PM »
Wonderful glimpses of ... and 1949 Liz today!

And here it is for anyone who might have missed it:

Given how the black velvet dress that both Laura and Cassandra wore was auctioned at the '95 NYC Fest, I wonder what ever happened to what Liz wore in the 1949 flashback?

Then again, maybe it was recycled into a feather duster...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 20, 2020, 05:08:11 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #663 (1796) - Nathan - 'Barnabas MUST be destroyed before it's too late!'

From "Robservations 9/25/02 - #662/663 - Barnabas & Yet Another 18th Century Doxy"
Millicent badgers Nathan about why he's in jail. You haven't been listening, he says--you haven't heard one word I've said. She assures him she has, but it makes no sense. Take my word and trust me, please, begs Nathan. I did that before, she says, and I'm sorry. Forget the past, he says, we'll make a new start. I'd like that, she says. Something must first be done about Barnabas, insists Nathan. That's the part I don't understand, says Millicent--I was so sure Barnabas was dead. Impatiently, he reminds her--you saw him taking me out of the house tonight, didn't you? Yes, she agrees. Then he can't be dead, right?, asks Nathan. No, he can't, says Millicent, but why did we all think he was? Nathan paces the cell and says "because of what he's become." I'm confused, Millicent says. I can't say why, Nathan explains, but Barnabas is trying to kill me, and you must help me--I will tell you how Barnabas can be destroyed, but you must promise to do something about it. (Isn't she one of Barnabas' victims herself by this time?--Naomi committed suicide because she caught her son feasting on his cousin's throat.) I promise to try, says Millicent. Find a wooden stake and hammer, orders Nathan, and go to the tower room during the day, where he sleeps in a coffin--you must take that stake and drive it through his heart. Millicent stares at him, horrified. She says she thinks she understands and again promises to try. Barnabas must be destroyed before it's too late, says Nathan. She complains about the chill and says she'll return to Collinwood, but come to see him tomorrow. He stares after her, shaking his head, knowing his wife is whacked out..
[/spoiler]

We're back to the quote being perfectly referenced in the Robservations...

And this is actually the show's third trip to 1796. And interestingly enough, because I only got to see DS sporadically between September of 1968 and mid-January of 1969, I never saw the second trip and most of the third trip until I saw them in syndication in 1987. The only ep from the third trip that I saw was Ep #666 because January 13th was when the local ABC affiliates finally returned DS to 4pm. So much for 666 and 13 being bad numbers!  [hall2_grin]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 20, 2020, 11:04:10 PM »
Lovely to see Colin Hamilton featured today. It was like DS suddenly becoming an Agatha Christie play when Inspector Hamilton showed up. I wish he'd been brought back in another role.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 21, 2020, 02:42:17 PM »
because January 13th was when the local ABC affiliates finally returned DS to 4pm.

Speaking of that return, several years back I'd shared the transcripts of two promos Jonathan Frid did for the January 13th return on Boston's Channel 7, which was the ABC affiliate in 1969 (it's since become Channel 5). But I didn't share the transcript of a voiceover Channel 7 played from time to time to herald the return on the 13th. I'd meant to share it in yesterday's post but I forgot (mostly because I was trying to get the post done as soon as possible because I needed to go out to do some errands). But here it is:

Played over a photo of Barnabas:
"At 4 pm on Channel 7 drop in on Barnabas Collins, TV's hottest cadaver, and the other weird members of the Collins clan. Mystery and suspense dominate television's spookiest series, Dark Shadows...
"So get the beat of Channel 7's early evening entertainment starting January 13..."

As you may recall, Frid's promos were a lot more interesting, though neither of them mention January 13th because they didn't start running until the 13th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 21, 2020, 09:26:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #530 (1968) - Cassandra - 'For a moment when I first saw him, I felt a stirring in me. The love I felt for him once was beginning to return. I MUST guard against that feeling. I MUST feel nothing but hatred toward Barnabas Collins. I MUST concentrate on nothing but vengeance.'

From "Robservations 6/20/02 - 529/530 - A Ghost Carries Out His Orders"
In the woods, Barnabas meets Cassangelique. In an icy voice, he asks why and how she came back.
This is my home, of course, she says, feigning ignorance. Angelique, he says, I had hoped you had decided to leave me alone. She replies that, as always, she doesn't know what he is talking about-and he's insane! Barnabas goes on to tell her that he doesn't care what she does to him, but Vicki has never harmed you--she should be left alone. Cassangelique suggests that they should avoid each other since he can't seem to get along with her. He tells her that would be a good idea, then exits. After he leaves, Cassangelique tells herself that a spark of her old feelings for Barnabas may be stirring, but she must fight them and concentrate on vengeance.
[/spoiler]

Another triple "MUST" quote. And the Robsevations references the quote pretty well - though, obviously, not in as much detail...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 22, 2020, 03:18:33 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #722 (1897) - Rachel - 'I know how close you were to him, but you MUST be brave now and help Nora. It won't be as bad if you stay together.'

From "Robservations 11/12/02 - #722-723 - Quentin on the Rise"
Rachel's eyes in closeup. She's in her room, sitting on her bed. Jamison, holding a locomotive in his arms, comes in and asks if she's seen his other trains. She sits him down, bad news evident in her face. Jamison first asks if it's Nora, then his father, then Quentin--something's happened to Quentin--he's been hurt. Much worse, says Rachel. Jamison stands. "He's dead." I know how close you were, says Rachel, but you must be brave--help Nora, stay together. He walks away from her. She asks where he's going, but he doesn't respond.
[/spoiler]

Again the Robservations references the quote pretty well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 22, 2020, 07:38:22 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #932 (1970) - Mr. Best - 'You MUSTN'T try to understand all I say. My mind is much more complex than yours, or anyone's for that matter. I pride myself on that.'

From "Robservations 5/9/03 - #932-933 - Mr. Best Has a Busy Day"
Best checks his watch and tells Amanda, I'm truly sorry--but you've asked me to break the rules too often, I'm afraid--come. Not yet, she pleads, not yet. It won't be unpleasant, he assures her. I'll never see him again, she wails. Perhaps you will, he comforts her. She looks at him--you're only saying that so I will come with him, she accuses.  Don't try to understand everything I say, he says, my mind is much more complex than yours, or anyone's--I pride myself on that. Just one moment with him, please, she cries, one moment.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote pretty well but it uses "Don't" instead of "MUSTN'T"! SHAMEFUL!! DISGRACEFUL!! INEXCUSABLE!! [nono]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 23, 2020, 03:24:12 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #1056 (1970PT) - Inspector Hamilton - 'Mr. Collins, I'm a simple police inspector. I MUST of necessity deal with things that are real. Things that are unreal I leave to the writers of fiction. As far as I'm concerned, the only reality in this case is the increasingly apparent guilt of Quentin Collins.'

From "#1056/1057: Robservations 08/08/03: More Death; A Near-Miss Rescue"
Barnabas leads Hamilton down into the basement, but Roxanne is gone. Barnabas looks around for her, to no avail. Well, says Hamilton, where is this strange young woman you were telling me about? He must have taken her away from here, laments Barnabas. If she ever existed, sniffs  Hamilton. But she DID exist, insists Barn, why should I lie to you about this?--look around you--why do you think this equipment is here?--Julia got it so she could revive that girl. I'm a simple police inspector, says Hamilton, and must of necessity deal with things that are real--things that are unreal, I leave to the writers of fiction--as far as I'm concerned, the reality of this case is the increasing guilt of Quentin Collins. He leaves the basement; Barnabas follows.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost word for word...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 23, 2020, 07:24:10 PM »
Lovely to see Colin Hamilton featured today. It was like DS suddenly becoming an Agatha Christie play when Inspector Hamilton showed up.

Yes!

And here's his screen capture:

I wish he'd been brought back in another role.

Alas, not in a big role, but he did come back as a doctor in 1841PT. Why don't you remember that? Well, it's because it was in Ep #1219, the only lost ep. Though at least the audio of the ep is part of the recreated version on DVD...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 23, 2020, 10:17:12 PM »
Gosh, MB, I did play the restored version of episode 1219 once, but had completely forgotten that Colin appeared in it. Thanks!

Love today's shot. That might be my favorite of all the seances--Frid talks French, supported by Grayson and Thayer. I might have to get that episode out again over the holiday...

Best, G.