Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118424 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #1050 on: January 15, 2022, 06:06:50 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #275 (1967) - Liz - 'This MUSTN'T be a dream. It MUSTN'T!'

From "#0275/0276: Robservations 12/07/01: Farewell, Jason!"
Carolyn goes upstairs to her mother and apologizes for running out the way she did--she realizes her mother did what had to be done in regards to Paul,
[/spoiler]

This is another Robservations with little detail, but unlike how when this same scene came up for January 3rd's slideshow, it's not a case that the situation involving when/how the quote takes place is referenced. So, getting into all that we'll start with how we see Liz in her bed tossing and turning as she worries about Carolyn, Carolyn enters her mother's bedroom. After she goes to Liz' bed and wakes her, Liz is surprised to see her and wonders if she's dreaming. Carolyn reassures her that it's really her and says that she's come home and she's going to stay. Liz asks where she was and Carolyn replies she was just out wandering around. "All night?" Liz asks. "Yes. I had to think. I had to decide a lot of things. And I have." Liz is happy Carolyn is home safe. But seeing that Liz seems to be acting of if she's a bit out of it, Carolyn asks what's the matter with her, is she sick? Liz explains that she's been given something to make her sleep. Carolyn says then she'd better sleep but Liz protests she doesn't want to. However, Carolyn tells her mother not to try to talk, to just listen to her for a minute. She then goes on the say that she's sorry she ran out on her and she's never do it again. "Sorry?" is Liz' reaction. Carolyn then goes on the explain that she was so mixed up that she couldn't think. "You're sorry? You?" "Yes. Because I should have known better. I should have known, well, that anything you did, you did because you had to do. I know you well enough to know that." "You don't hate me?" "Of course I don't hate you. You're my mother and I love you." "You love me?" "Why do you think I came back?" And that's when Liz delivers the quote...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Willie - 'No, Jason, you MUSTN'T! You can't!') was back on December 29th, and the second (Carolyn - 'We'll get the best lawyers in the  country. And... and you MUSTN'T worry. I'll be right there with you-- all through the trial') was back on January 3rd.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: January 16, 2022, 08:42:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #405 (1796) - Josette - 'I MUST ask a favor of you, Aunt Natalie.'

From "#0405/0406: Robservations 03/20/02 - Cursed!"
In Collinwood's drawing room
[/spoiler]

Again we're in the Robservations without much detail. So, what leads up to the quote is the ep opens with Josette in Collinwood's drawing room. In the foyer Countess du Pres exits from the door on the landing and comes down the stairs. She hesitates for a moment and then joins Josette and asks her, "What did you wish to see me about?" Josette replies with the quote to which the countess replies "Anything at all. What is it?" "There will not be time for me to say the appropriate farewells to everyone. The carriage will be here at ten." Countess du Pres is shocked, "Farewells?! Carriage?! Whatever are you talking about?!" Josette turns away and explains she's leaving Collinwood in an hour...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Countess du Pres - 'They'll think we've both gone mad. No, Josette, you MUST stay and make your explanations before you leave') was back on November 23rd.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 17, 2022, 08:26:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #521 (1968) - Barnabas - 'Please! Now we MUST get that picture tonight.'

From "Robservations 6/14/02 - #521/522 - Enter Nicholas Blair!"
Collinwood - Barnabas tells Julia to distract Roger while he goes up to Cassandra's bedroom.
[/spoiler]

Even though for the most part this Robservations has quite a bit of detail, it doesn't reference the quote. But the way the quote comes up is that after Barnabas instructs Julia to distract Roger so that he can go to Roger and Cassandra's bedroom to look for Angelique's portrait, she is a bit reluctant. However, that's when he delivers the quote to persuade her...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: January 18, 2022, 09:18:04 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #745 (1897) - Jenny - 'I MUST wait. He said that. I MUST be quiet and wait. I don't want to wait. He told me to. I MUST.'

From "Robservations 12/18/02 - #744-745 - Barnabas & Jenny"
Quentin tries to unlock the door with one of the keys on the ring, assuring Jenny, I'll be with you very soon.  He hears a door slam, tells Jenny not to make a noise, and assures her he will be back.  Beth listens at the door and screams when Quentin leaps out at her.  Jenny asks, "Who's with you?"  Beth grabs for the gun--I she won't let you do this, Quentin!--I'll wake Barnabas, she threatens-- "I will!" she swears.  The both walk away.  Jenny asks Quentin, wasn't I pretty enough?  She looks at her reflection in the mirror, realizing he never saw her.  Why am I so scared, I didn't used to be so silly...I must wait, she resolves, he told me that, and be quiet. . .I don't want to wait! she cries, but he told me to, so I must...she touches her hair nervously, then sits down on the bed, looking like a frightened bride, to wait.
[/spoiler]

While the Robservations doesn't reference the quote exactly, it does so well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 19, 2022, 03:10:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #975 (1970) - Bruno - 'I can look at the moon and enjoy its beauty, but you, tonight, how desperate you MUST feel knowing that tomorrow it will be even more beautiful and more full.'

From "Robservations 6/10/03 - #974-975"
Bruno raises the shade and tells Chris, you can look at the moon and enjoy its beauty, but you, tonight, how desperate you must feel, knowing tomorrow it will be even more beautiful, more full!--are you going to help me, yes or no?  I'll never help you, vows Chris. Bruno shows him the knife up close and asks, do you love Sabrina, and if you do, you'd better change your mind--I'll let the two of them be together a while, and perhaps you will realize how much she means to you.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations screws up the very beginning of the quote but otherwise references it quite well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: January 20, 2022, 08:08:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #1035 (1970PT) - Hoffman - 'You MUST get back as soon as possible. Now I have uncovered something concerning Barnabas. It may be what we want.'

From "#1034/1035: Robservations 07/25/03: Cyrus' Sad End; Hoffman KNOWS!"
We see Angelique's portrait and hear Hoffman talking.  At first, it appears she's speaking to the portrait, but then we realize Hoffman is on the phone, Mike R. Phone above her head, telling Angelique, all I know is that Maggie is back at Collinwood--I don't know how he got to her, but Yaeger is dead. Yes, I was as shocked as you--yes, Barnabas must have killed him--that's what troubles me--there's no telling how much he knows--yes, I will--you must come back ASAP--I have uncovered something--concerning Barnabas--it may be what we want--yes, I'll tell you as soon as you arrive, hurry, please. We pan in on Angelique's portrait again.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: January 21, 2022, 04:28:32 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #1123 (1840) -  Daniel - 'Have you taken leave of your senses? That woman is married to you. She MUST do as you tell her!'

From "#1123/1124: Robservations 09/26/03: The Bedford Atrocities"
Have you been told about her and that young man? asks Daniel nervously.  Yes, I have, says Quentin.  What are you going to do about it? asks Daniel.  The decision was left entirely to Samantha, says Quentin.  What? asks Daniel.  She is going to have to choose between Gerard and me, says Quentin.  Have you taken leave of your senses? demands Daniel...that woman is married to you, you must do as you tell her! (chauvinist)  Quentin begs him to calm down, and Flora reminds him this is supposed to be a happy moment.  He hasn't changed a bit, says Daniel, gesturing to Quentin, I haven't been in his presence five minutes, and already he's made me furious!  He turns away.  Quentin chuckles and goes to him, turning him around, saying it's just like old times, despite all of your fury, you're still secretly glad to see me.  Grumpily, Daniel says he supposes he is, but Quentin is still thoroughly impossible.
[/spoiler]

Once again a Robservations confuses a pronoun, but other than that it references the quote quite well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: January 22, 2022, 04:26:27 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #1220 (1841PT) - Catherine - 'No, Bramwell, you can't stop me that way, or any other way. You MUST have faith in me.'

From "#1220/1221: Robservations 12/23/03: Morgan's Sacrifice"
Now that Gabriel is gone, a new decision has got to be made about the lottery, she says.  Bramwell becomes upset--surely you won't be involved in that any longer!--my wealthy relatives may permit their women to face danger, but not when it comes to having children!--if you talk to them...  I will tell them nothing, she insists.  I will not permit you to endanger my child! cries Bramwell.  I will tell them nothing, she says--and I'm endangering no one --don't you understand, there is no real danger?  People have died, gone mad, he reminds her--so, I have no choice but to do what you won't do--if necessary, Catherine, I will go to that house and tell them that you're having a child.  You can't do that, she says--you gave me your word.  I won't tell them the whole truth, just that you're pregnant, he says.  Don't you see? she says--that IS telling them the whole truth--each of them will ask themselves how YOU came to know I was going to have a child--no, Bramwell, you can't stop me that way, or any other way--you must have faith in me
--I have my own good reasons for what I'm going to do--and I intend to do it!  Nearly crying, she leaves the house. Bramwell is perturbed.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 23, 2022, 03:58:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #113 (1966) - Burke - 'Drunk or sober, I would never run away from anything. You MUST believe that, Mrs. Johnson.'

From "#0113/0114: Robservations 08/08/01: Befriending a Murderer"
In his room at the Inn, Burke looks through some legal paperwork, feet on the coffee table. Sarah Johnson pays him a visit, telling him she has to talk to him. I have some news that couldn't wait, she reports--they found out who's been trying to kill Vicki Winters. Roger Collins? he guesses hopefully. No, she says, and what's more, Mr. Collins did not kill Mr. Malloy. What are you talking about, he's got to be the one, insists Burke. No he isn't, says Sarah, you were wrong and I was wrong--the man who did the actual killing was Matthew Morgan.
I don't believe it, says Burke--what possible reason could he have? He thought that Mr. Malloy was hounding Mrs. Stoddard, and that was reason enough for him, she explains--he had to protect the sacred name of Collins. I suppose that's still what he's doing, says Burke--did he make an actual confession? Not to the sheriff, he didn't says Sarah, but he did to Miss Winters and he as much as did to Mrs. Stoddard. Where is he now? asks Burke. He could be in Canada now, she says--he turned and ran as soon as Mrs. Stoddard confronted him. I can't believe it, says Burke, I was so positive it was Roger, as positive as I am that he was guilty of that manslaughter charge they tried to hang on me. Could you have been wrong about that? she asks. No, I was not driving that car, insists Burke. They said at the time you were drunk, she reminds him. Yeah, sure I was drunk, he says, and everything about that night is hazy, but...well... You didn't run away from something you knew you'd done, she says. Drunk or sober, I would never run away from anything, and you must believe that, says Burke. (I think Mitchell mixed up lines here.) I know, she says, it's Roger Collins, he'd run away from anything, from every one of his responsibilities--he'd hide behind his sister's skirts.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly with the exception of addressing the second part to Mrs. Johnson. And I don't think Mitch Ryan mixed up his lines - Clarice Blackburn did have to feed him a bit when he suddenly went up, but It looked to me that what he said was what he was supposed to say and how he was supposed to say it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: January 24, 2022, 05:30:25 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #208 (1967) - Liz - 'You seem to forget that man is a threat to my family-- a violent man with no control. It's come to a point when I MUST stop thinking of myself.'

From "#0208/0209: Abbreviated Robservations 10/17/01: Collins Family Jewels"
Liz has heard about the fight between Burke and Willie at the Blue Whale, and orders Jason to get him out of not just Collinwood, but Collinsport. Aha, but you can't send the boy away without funds, so Jason puts the screws to Liz once again and, after verbally sparring with him in their usual Blackmail Threat of the Day, gets her to agree to give Willie $500 to get him out of Collinsport.
[/spoiler]

Once again with this ep, the Robservations references the situation but not the actual quote. But the way the quote comes up is that after Jason has agreed with Liz completely that Willie must go, Liz says she considers the matter settled and excuses herself. However, Jason doesn't believe the matter is quite settled because if Willie is to leave, he needs the means to leave. Liz protests that if he or Willie expects to be bribed to see that he goes, the answer is no. "Bribe? ::tsk sounds:: What an ugly word." "Well, then don't forced me to use it." Jason says he won't and changes his tact by saying his approach is purely practical because Willie can't get to wherever he's going without money, she wants Willie to leave, then he thinks it's only fair that she furnish the necessary money. Liz offers the bus fair to Bangor, but Jason is afraid that won't do because "Willie should be compensated for his inconvenience." "Then you are asking for a bribe." "Oh, no no no. I'm asking for a $1000." "You can ask all you like but you won't get it." Jason though Liz wanted Willie to leave. Liz protests that she refuses "to be involved in this sordid business." Jason doesn't know that she's in a position to refuse and he might have to remind her that this isn't the first time she's "involved herself in something slightly sordid." "I forbid you to keep bringing that up!" "But you keep making it necessary." "I won't be forced this way!" They then notice that the pin she was wearing has fallen to the floor. Jason picks it up and says that she broken the clasp, but Liz tells him to never mind the pin - she's not giving him any money. But Jason ignores her and says that the pin is beautiful. (All this about the pin factors into other events in the ep, ones that come up in Reply #995 of this topic and that day's quote.) After Liz asks for the pin and receives it, she asks if he heard what she said about the money? Jason indicates he did but insists. "Insist all you like, the answer is no!" Jason questions why she says that because she knows she's going to give him the money but Liz declares she's not and that's final. "Well, then Willie does not leave Collinwood." "He most certainly does!" "Jason gives a bit of a snicker and asks what she'll do if he doesn't? "I'll call the police. And when they're here, feel perfectly free to tell them what you like." "Now, you know you don't mean that!" "Don't I?" And that's when Liz adds the quote. Jason realizes she's not bluffing. "I promise you I'm not." So, from that point Jason tries to persuade Liz to give Willie only $500. Liz acquiesces and agrees to get the money...

This scene certainly features some of Liz and Jason's best verbal sparring. Ron Sproat did an excellent job writing it and Joan and Dennis played it to perfection.  [thumb]

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Jason - 'Willie, if you MUST steal something, steal something that won't be missed') was back on November 22nd, and the second (Liz - 'He MUST leave Collinwood as soon as possible!') was back on December 17th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: January 25, 2022, 04:20:05 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #427 (1796) - Trask - 'The authorities agree-- Miss Winters MUST be brought to trial without warning, without having a chance to contact her master: Satan.'

From "#0427/0428: Robservations 04/04/02: Vicki's Trial Begins"
In a series of rapid cuts, the faces of Abigail and Trask are shown against a stark black background, accusing Vicki of witchcraft, detailing every attack in town.  Trask declares that Vicki will be brought to trial without warning, before she can enlist the services of her master.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations paraphrases but references the quote quite well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 26, 2022, 04:50:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #540 (1968) - Nicholas - 'Now you MUST find a way to rectify your mistakes and you MUST do it alone or you are of no further use to me.'

From "Robservations 6/27/02 - #540/541 - A Revelation for Cassandra"
Cassandra, clutching her bandaged hand, comes downstairs. Nicholas tells her bandaging the hand was very sensible of her, and she does so few sensible things. She pleads with him to not do this to her, and he reminds her he could have done worse. You need me, she insists, and can't destroy me-you need me in order to stay at Collinwood. Nicholas points out that no matter what happens to her, Roger will still think him her brother, and if he decides to destroy her, he will let Roger think she has gone away and allow him to stay at Collinwood indefinitely, if he wants. She insists he can't do this, but he assures her he can-and will-if she doesn't learn what went wrong with Barnabas' curse. You only gave me a few hours, she whines, I need help. He refuses, telling her to stop pleading with him, she's made too many mistakes already. She tells him she doesn't know what to do, how to start. That's your problem, he says (he's tough!)
[/spoiler]

And once again we have a situation where even though the Robservations is pretty detailed, it doesn't reference the quote. But where the quote comes up is after Nicholas says that Cassandra has made far too many mistakes already, that's when he delivers the quote...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Cassandra - 'He MUST have told you more. He MUST have') was back on March 24th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 27, 2022, 04:40:03 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #716 (1897) - Judith - 'Nora, you and Jamison MUST forget your mother. You MUST.'

From "Robservations - #716/717 -11/6/02 - Jenny and Her Babies"
Kicking and screaming in Dirk's grasp, Nora insists she wants to see "her" when she gets back. No one is coming to the house tonight, insists Judith--behave or I will lock you in your room--go, Dirk--I'll take care of this. Nora doesn't want to tell her aunt who is coming back--because I don't want her to come back! Who? asks Judith. My mother, says Nora--"I had a dream, last night and the night before--she came, she did, and she looked just as pretty as she did before, and she woke me with hugs and kisses. . ." "Now Nora," cautions Judith. "Don't tell me dreams don't come true," commands Nora, "because they do--Jamison dreamed about her, too." Judith tells her that her mother is away for treatment. People get better, insists Nora. She hasn't, says Judith. "Did you get a letter from her?" asks Nora eagerly--if that's true, why didn't she write her and Jamison? She didn't write, says Judith, the doctor did. Nora wants to go see her.
You can't, says Judith--she isn't strong enough. Edward and I listened to what the doctor said, explains Judith. Daddy didn't hear from the doctor, says Nora. (oops, caught, Judy!) Gently, Judith tells her, you and Jamison must try to forget your mother. We both tried writing our mother, says Nora, but we know the letters never mailed, because we found them in Daddy's desk--you won't let us write to her, or answer any of our questions, wails Nora. When you're older, says Judith, you'll realize there are questions for which there is no answer--now go upstairs to bed; you get cranky when you don't get enough sleep. Reluctantly, Nora goes upstairs, Judith right behind her.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote quite well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: January 28, 2022, 02:30:43 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #251 (1967) - Barnabas - 'She tried to betray me. She tried to destroy me. She MUST die.'

From "#0251/0252: Robservations 11/17/01: And Then Came Buzz"
]Willie tries to convince Barnabas how good Maggie was, but Barnabas says she's going to her grave as common old Maggie Evans.
Cruelly, Barnabas says that she deserves to die, painfully, slowly, so that when she does die, it will be a merciful death. She'll die lifeless--and bloodless!
[/spoiler]

This Robservations falls in the period where there's very little detail so it's no surprise that it doesn't reference the quote all that well. However, Barnabas delivers the quote at the outset of saying Maggie deserves to die...

And I suspect getting the screen capture for this quote is the first time I've ever played Ep #251 on DVD because I'm pretty sure I had no idea that before Act 1 there's a summary of the previous week's eps. Not having been watching DS yet back in June of 1967, I didn't see Ep #251 when it was originally aired, and for the life of me I can't think what might have preempted DS for some people during that week and would have required the summary to catch the audience up. And I don't recall any of the PomPress books bringing up the need for the summary or the announcement of the summary during Ep #251's theme or the actual summary being included when the Sci-Fi Channel ran Ep #251 (though I will look that up when I  have time, which I don't right now). Does anyone recall what was going on from June 5th through the 9th that could have caused DS to be preempted?

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: January 28, 2022, 03:22:02 PM »
The six day Arab/Israeli war happened that week. If memory serves me correctly, the news coverage pre-empted a lot of regular TV that week.
Fade Away and Radiate