Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118307 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #1620 on: July 01, 2023, 03:36:26 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #627 (1968) - Angelique - 'And when Nicholas tells you that Eve is dead, then you MUST pretend to be shocked, stricken with grief.'

From "Robservations 8/29/02 - #626/627 - Murder!"
Eve was evil, agrees Angelique--that's what Nicholas wanted--he knew Eve was secretly seeing Jeff. No, denies Adam, Nicholas is my friend!--he did everything for me. He gave you a mate that deceived you, spits out Ang-- Nick was the one who brought Danielle Roger to the experiment--not Leona Eltridge, but a treacherous woman who lived in the 18th century--Nicholas brought her back from the grave because she served his nefarious purposes, and never considered Adam his friend--he used you, as he uses everyone. Adam is rocked by this, hurt. He isn't sure, he says, but Ang tells him if he lets Nicholas go on using him, he's little more than a slave. He asks why she's telling him this. She answers that they must work together to escape Nicholas--I need your help--when Nicholas learns that Eve is dead and that Jeff Clark killed her, exactly what Ang wants him to think, it will fit in well with her plans--go back to the house, orders Ang, pretend nothing happened--pretend to be shocked, grief-stricken, when you hear about Eve. In the meantime, I will prepare for Nicholas departure. Adam isn't sure. . .he needs time to think it over. We have little time, warns Ang.
[/spoiler]

Again a Robservations paraphrases the quote but references it quite well...

And unfortunately Angelique doesn't use the word "must" when she says she and Adam need to work together because what she says is, "Because neither of us can escape Nichols--ever--unless we work together."

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Julia - 'Of course he would-- it's understandable. He MUST be very upset that no one notified him when his brother died') was back on March 6th of 2021, and the second (Chris - 'Well, you MUST have known him more than casually or you wouldn't have had the reaction you did when you saw me') was back on May 6th of 2022.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: July 03, 2023, 03:16:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #771 (1897) - Judith - 'We simply MUST find Dirk and hear exactly what he told Jamison.'

From "Robservations 1/16/03 - #770-771 -  Pansy, Carl's Tart; Dirk Causes Trouble"
Collinwood - Carl stands and listens as Judith tells Barnabas, we must find Dirk and learn exactly what he told Jamison--it's hard for me to believe monsters are running around the estate, but given all the strange things that have happened lately. . .  Barnabas says, I'm anxious to find Dirk myself.  Listen to me, Carl tells Judith--I have a way to find Dirk.  Tell Judith all about it, advises Barnabas--I'm going to investigate the cottage.  Don't take chances, warns Judith.  Barnabas exits.
[/spoiler]

And again a Robservations paraphrases the quote a bit but references it quite well...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Carl - 'Oh, she MUST have ate it. I gave you the wrong one. Well, you know how women eat when they're nervous') was back on October 28th of 2020.

And to this day I still can't believe that back when this ep was shown in '80s syndication, and despite the fact that Worldvision was told the ep was out of sequence, they continued so show it between Eps #511 & #512. One minute it's 1968 and Trask's ghost has Barnabas prisoner in the alcove in the basement in the Old House, the next it's 1897 and Barnabas and Beth are fretting over Dirk and Carl is announcing his engagement to Pansy, then it's back to 1968 and Trask continues his revenge against Barnabas. (Though thankfully things were corrected for the Sci-Fi showings.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: July 04, 2023, 03:00:16 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #469 (1968) - Dr. Lang - 'Yes, it MUST be-- but I thought that you could wait until tomorrow.'

From "#0469/0470: Robservations 05/03/02: Imperfect Cure; Jeff's Odd Job"
She visits Lang in what looks like Tony Peterson's office, and he greets her heartily. She calls him Eric. She sits down and says she has something important to discuss. Lang knew she was coming to see him. She'd seen Barnabas earlier and was disturbed by what he said. She asks Lang if he knows a permanent cure for Barn's problem. He does, but won't tell her what it is.
She thinks he should tell her, but he reminds her that HE is Barnabas' doctor, and Barnabas will remain his patient after he leaves the hospital, says Lang, because Barnabas knows only he can help him.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations doesn't reference the quote at all. However, it comes up after Julia says she has something important to discuss and before Dr. Lang says he knew she was coming...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Barnabas - 'I am not an ordinary patient, doctor-- you know that. Now you MUST tell me exactly what's happening to me') was back on July 16th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: July 05, 2023, 02:32:40 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #55 (1966) - Roger - 'Liz, why MUST you jump on every little thing so vehemently?'

From "#0055/0056: Robservations 06/26/01:"
"I and my ghosts want a drink! My nerves are shot" He turns around and marches into the drawing room. Liz, shrugging her shoulders, follows. Roger quaffs his drink. Liz clasps her hands together and said, "You distinctly led me to believe that you were to meet Bill Malloy on a business matter alone." Roger, his mouth working, looking very uncomfortable, asks if he denied anyone else was present. "Omitting the truth is the same as lying," Liz asserts. Why must she jump on every little thing so vehemently? he asks. He had reasons for not revealing that Burke and Sam were at the meeting. Explain these reasons, she demands, and he says, "I did it because of you." "Because of me?" Liz asks incredulously. He knew she would be upset by it and didn't see any point in bringing it up until he learned from Malloy the purpose of the meeting and why he didn't appear at it. Liz finds it hard to believe that Bill called a meeting consisting of himself and the others and neither Roger nor the others were aware of what it was for. That's precisely right, Roger insists.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations doesn't reference the quote directly but still does so well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: July 06, 2023, 03:34:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #148 (1967) - Vicki - 'Well, somebody MUST have had a key.'

From "#0148/0149: Robservations 09/04/01: Protecting David From Laura"
That woman was not Laura Collins, that much we know, Frank tells Vicki. If only they could identify that woman it might clear up the whole thing, says Vicki. They're working on that now, he says, dental records, blood samples and everything. Could she have been a thief? suggests Vicki. That's a possibility, says Frank--but how did she get a key to that apartment?--that room was locked from the inside. Somebody must have had a key, says Vicki. We know something now that throws that whole robbery thing out of kilter, he says--someone was seen or possibly seen near that apartment the night of the fire. Then they think it could have been a murder? asks Vicki, standing. It is a possibility, says Frank. And the person they suspect, says Vicki, is that the person seen near the apartment? Yes, he says. That's awful, says Vicki. The identification was made by a Mrs. Henworthy, says Frank--she's rather elderly and her sight isn't what it used to be, and she says she could have been mistaken. Was it somebody that Mrs. Collins knows? asks Vicki. Yes, he says, I'm afraid it is. Who? asks Vicki . Let me remind you again that murder is only an outside possibility, he says. Who is it? she repeats. Laura Collins, he says. That's impossible, says Vicki, Mrs. Collins left Phoenix five days before that fire! Did she? asks Frank. She said she did, says Vicki. I know what she says, he tells her, but is she telling the truth--that's the question. Vicki looks perturbed at the possibilities
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

And are we supposed to believe that just because they changed what's hanging over the fireplace by removing the dartboard and centering the painting this is Frank Garner's office -

- and not Roger's cannery office, which it otherwise looks exactly like, right down to the painting of the mustachioed man hanging between the windows? -

- I mean, if you're trying to pass off an existing set as a different set, do a better job of furnishing it differently!!  [easter_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: July 07, 2023, 03:20:23 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #247 (1967) - Sam - 'My pipe, I MUST have left it in here. I know I had it when I came in.'

From "#0247/0248: Robservations 11/15/01: Maggie Makes An Escape"
Willie, who is hammering a chair in the living room, is very reluctant to even talk to Sam, no less let him in. Willie gazes nervously upstairs, then decides it's the better two evils to let Sam take the portrait home and work on it, since he's so determined to do so. As Sam carries the painting out to the station wagon, Willie grabs the easel so he'll only have to make one trip. While they're outside, Maggie/Josette drifts downstairs, spots Sam's pipe on a nearby table, and takes it. Holding it pressed to her breast, she disappears back upstairs, missing the returning Sam and Willie by seconds. (so suspenseful!) Sam comes back in to look for his missing pipe, but it's obviously gone, so he asks Willie to keep it for him if he should find it. Willie is relieved to see Sam go
[/spoiler]

Once again being in the period with little detail, the Robservations doesn't reference the quote at all. However it comes up right after Maggie disappears up the stairs and Sam reappears at the door and before he actually goes in to look for his pipe...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: July 08, 2023, 02:12:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #388 (1795) - Angelique - 'She MUST be the witch.'

From "#0388/0389: Robservations 03/08/02: To Save a Child"
Barnabas' room - Barnabas sits in a chair in his room, eyes blissfully closed, as Angelique rubs his temples, ridding him of his headache. She points out how useful she can be, and Barnabas makes a face. Trask is on his way, he says sourly. Angelique is sure Vicki is the evil-intentioned witch in the house and thinks Barnabas should cooperate completely with the Reverend. What else has caused all the strange things that have happened? Barnabas doesn't know, but he does know Vicki isn't responsible. Angelique points out that he isn't the best judge of women--he thought Josette faithful, and she wasn't, right?--she deceived him with a member of his own family!
[/spoiler]

Tthe Robservations doesn't reference the quote, but it does reference the circumstances under which it's delivered...

And yes, Angelique, you're right that Barnabas isn't the best judge of women. But certainly at this point the one whom he's the worst judge of isn't Josette, it's you.

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Trask - 'The devil MUST be exorcised from your body, and his handmaiden MUST be captured') was back on May 15th of 2020.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: July 09, 2023, 01:54:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

Ep #492 (1968) - Mrs. Johnson - 'I MUSTN'T fall asleep.'

From "Robservations 5/21/02 - #491/492 - Son of Barnabas and Julia"
At Collinwood, David is still under Cassandra's muteness spell. Mrs. Johnson sits in a chair across from him, almost nods out, then remembers she isn't supposed to sleep. She asks David if he wants anything and he shakes his head. She sympathizes with him not being able to say anything.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations doesn't reference the quote directly but does nicely reference the circumstances under which it comes up...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Julia - 'We MUST make him trust us') was back on March 30th of 2021, and the second (Barnabas - 'He's destroying the place. We MUST stop him') was back on May 16th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: July 11, 2023, 12:00:10 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #644 (1968) - Amy - 'Quentin MUST be playing that music. He MUST be someplace nearby.'

From "Robservations 9/12/02 - #643/644 - David, Amy and Quentin"
David and Amy try to get the door open, to no avail. What will we do? laments Amy, but David has no answer. They spot an old armoire, and Amy asks what's inside it. Just cobwebs, says David. Amy asks what's in the chest. David never saw it before. Perhaps it's full of toys, suggests Amy. They open it. Only old clothes, says David, unimpressed. Amy pulls out a boy's suit, and a girl's dress--who did the clothes belong to? Some Collins ancestors, says David. Amy wants to put on the clothes and play dress-up, but David thrusts the clothes back in the trunk, insisting, in his macho way, that he doesn't play such games. Amy hears the sound of sweet music. Quentin must be playing it, she says, excited, and someplace nearby!
[/spoiler]

The Robservations doesn't reference the quote directly but does a good job of referencing the circumstances under which it comes up...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: July 11, 2023, 03:38:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #738 (1897) - Laura - 'You MUST do something. There's so little time left.'

When that quote came up, you may have asked yourself if you'd actually seen it before in the slideshow? And that's probably because something like it appeared as part of the April 27th of 2021 -

Tuesday's quote:
Ep #737 (1897) - Laura - 'Look deep in your soul. You will know. You MUST do something, there's very little time.'

- slideshow. However, you'll notice that the 2021 version was taken from Ep #737, and while it's similar, it's not the same. And that's because:

From "Robservations 11/22/02 - #738/739 - Barnabas & Charity Look Into Laura's Past"
We see a different version of the previous episode's ending, with Dirk and Laura mostly standing, rather than sitting on the bed.  He speaks some foreign words to her, but it ends with Laura begging him not to let her die, holding out her arms to him from where she lies on the bed.

And because the scene was restaged and the dialogue isn't exactly the same, as opposed to repeating the same video or restaging the scene with the exact same dialogue, the quoted line qualifies as a different quote for the slideshow, hence it's use.

Unfortunately, though, the Robservations for Ep #738 doesn't reference the quote at all. But the circumstances under which it comes up are similar to how it does in the ending of Ep #737, so revisiting that via the link above to the April 30th of 2021 post will explain adequately enough...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Jamison - 'Well, Quentin says servants MUST know their proper place') was back on December 27th of 2021.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: July 13, 2023, 12:18:02 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #903 (1969) - Liz - 'Well, I'm sure there MUST be a great many paintings that have been put away over the years.'

From "Robservations 4/22/03 - #903-904 -Whose Portrait? Barnabas Runs Down A Stranger"
Liz enters. Julia asks, do you have any family portraits that might have been stored, forgotten in a closed wing of the house? Probably, says Liz--many. I want to search through them, says Julia.  Do you have a particular one in mind? asks Liz. A painter named Tate lived in Collinsport around the turn of the century, says Julia--I bought a painting of his recently at the antique shop. Antique shop? asks Liz. Yes, why? asks Julia. Nothing, says Liz. I thought there might be others around, perhaps stored right at Collinwood, says Julia. Look as much as you like, says Liz, but I'm really not in the mood to discuss specific places for you to start looking--we'll talk about it tomorrow. She goes upstairs.

Talk about pairing down the quote to one important word! The Robservations does just that rather than referencing the whole thing. But what it does gets the point across...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first ('Olivia' - 'She's a... a fascinating woman. Um, someday I MUST tell you all about her') was back on September 26th of 2021, and the second (Julia - 'You MUST have been very devoted to your grandmother, huh?') was back on May 18th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: July 13, 2023, 02:20:16 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #999 (1970PT) - Cyrus - 'Sabrina, I have told you-- I have my work. My work MUST come first.'

From "#0998/0999: Robservations 06/26/03: Mystery of Dameon; Angelique's Coffin"
That experiment, it's always that experiment, rants Sabrina, what is so fascinating about it? It IS, that's all, responds Cyrus. She turns away and asks, listen just one minute--you expect me to marry you? Sabrina, I have told you I have my work and it must come first! But when it affects you in this way, she protests. How? he asks. You're different, that's all, she says,
I can't explain it--ever since you came back, I just feel it, and I know you don't put any faith in feelings. Yes, says Cyrus, but perhaps I'm beginning to. Well if you are, it's because of THAT, not because of me, she says. She puts her hands on his shoulders and faces him squarely--I'm worried about you, she says--I used to think I knew everything about you, but now, I don't feel secure about that anymore-

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: July 14, 2023, 02:10:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #1073 (1970) - Sebastian - 'Now I MUST find out the exact time of your birth.'

From "#1072/1073: Robservations - 08/20/03: Psychic"
a more complete, day by day chart. Yes, I'd like that, says Liz. It will be an honor to do one for you, says Shaw. An honor? she asks. Yes, you're very troubled, he says, and if the stars can help you in any way, I will feel a sense of personal gratification, and that is all-now, I must find out the exact time of your birth. I haven't the faintest idea, says Liz. The entire chart is based on the position of the planets, says Shaw, pointing skyward-isn't there any way you can find out? I don't know, says Liz-actually, there is-Carolyn found some letters just last week, one from my mother to my father-he was in New York when I was born-I believe she did mention the time. Call me this evening, says Shaw, smiling, and tell me.

The Robservations references the quote nearly perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: July 15, 2023, 02:48:12 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #1124 (1840) - Lamar - 'You MUST try.'

From "#1123/1124: Robservations 09/26/03: The Bedford Atrocities"
I warned you about going out alone at night, even before this vicious animal made its appearance again.  Again? asks Barnabas...what do you mean again?  I made a most interesting discovery, says Trask, one that I hope will help the police with their capture...he asks Roxanne if she gave the police a complete description of what attacked her?  I can't seem to remember, she says.  How is that possible? he asks.  I can't explain it, she says.  You must try, insists Trask.  Barnabas harshly tells him there isn't anything to be gained by this questioning.  Trask asks him--don't you?--your attitude is remarkably like that of your late father, the original Barnabas Collins.  I didn't realize you were old enough at that time to make such an observation, says Barnabas sharply...I was not.  It is all here, in this letter, all of it, says Trask, withdrawing a letter from his breast pocket...your father's ridiculing of my father...yes, the most interesting document was written in April, 1797 in this very house, and to my dear mother...yes, it seems that at Collinwood at the time, there were these same mysterious attacks.  Roxanne insists one has nothing to do with the other.  We shall see, smiles Trask

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

Two days in a row scenes involving discovered letters - interesting coincidence...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: July 16, 2023, 02:58:20 PM »

Ep #1200 (1841PT) - Morgan - 'We MUST do as Father wanted.'

From "#1199/1200: Robservations 12/09/03: The Woman in White"
Morgan enters, an ancient paper in his hands.  What have you got there? asks Gabriel.  You know as well as I do, says Quentin--Brutus Collins' letter--dated 1680.  Father told Melanie I was to read it this evening, says Morgan.  You're not going to read it aloud, are you? asks Gabriel nervously.  Quentin laughs--what's the matter with you, Gabriel?--are you afraid to hear it?  We must do as Father wanted, says Morgan, and proceeds to read

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Bramwell - 'You MUST get away from Collinwood now') was back on December 26th of 2021, and the second (Melanie - 'Papa, don't get up. The doctor said you MUSTN'T get up') was back on May 22nd.