Author Topic: #1199/1200: Robservations 12/09/03: The Woman in White  (Read 1271 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1199/1200: Robservations 12/09/03: The Woman in White
« on: December 08, 2003, 11:26:41 AM »
1199 - (1841PT) - Not the lottery again! declares Julia, upset.  Flora rushes off to see her dying husband.  You had to do it! accuses Melanie--you had to mention the lottery!  Weren't you (thinking of it)? asks Julia--wasn't Flora?  I was thinking of Papa, insists the young woman, how terrible life will be here without him!--not because of the lottery, but because he won't be here anymore--he was the only one who made me feel like I belonged.  Doesn't anybody else? asks Julia--you mustn't feel that way!  I'm adopted, says Melanie, and...  And they make you feel as if you are, finishes Julia--who does?--do I?  Melanie shakes her head.  Do the boys? continues Julia--tell me which one, and I'll speak to him.  Morgan enters--Melanie, I think Father wants you, he says.  Crying, Melanie runs from the room.  Where were you? Morgan asks his aunt--he's dying this time.  Has the doctor been here? asks Julia--what did he say?  He couldn't understand how he stayed alive this long, says Morgan, but we know, don't we?  Yes, says Julia, because he loves us all so--he wants to spare us all.  One of the first things I remember, says Morgan, I must have been five or six, I remember hearing my parents talking about that room and what would happen when we grew up, and that one day Quentin and I would have to go into that room and spend the night--I couldn't understand why--then the next day, I went to the West Wing, down the corridor, and I stood in front of that door, and I began to tremble, as if I could feel the evil inside--and then I ran away--but I can't run anymore, can I?  One of us cannot now, agrees Julia.  It will be me, says Morgan with certainty--I'll be the one who will have to go into that room--I've known that, I've always known it since the first time I heard of it--if only Father could live another week--I'd marry Catherine tonight!  Morgan! cries Julia, you cannot marry Catherine tonight, tomorrow--if Justin lives for a week and you marry Catherine, then when Justin dies, Catherine will be part of the lottery!  No! he cries.  She will, it happens to all of us! insists Julia.  No, I won't have it--there will be no women! he says.  There always have been! Julia reminds him.  There won't be this time, says Morgan--I've discussed it with Quentin and he agrees.  Does Gabriel? she asks.  He will, Morgan assures her.  I think not, says Julia--you must not tamper with tradition.  You sound as if it's an honor instead of a curse, he says.  I'm just being realistic, she says.  So am I, says Morgan--I know six Collins have gone to that room and spent the night--three were found dead in the morning, and three were found like Father--mad for the rest of their lives--I am realistic, too, about one thing--that either Quentin, Gabriel or I will be on that list.  Do you think you or I can decide who will or will not be in the lottery? she asks--when your father dies, and you read that letter, it will tell us
--until the lottery is over, you must have nothing to do with Catherine, do you understand?  I can't! he says. You must, she counters--have you told her anything about the lottery and the room?  No, he says.  You must not, she says, because after this lottery, we will have a whole generation to wait.  And next time is happens, he says, it will be to my children--and Catherine's.  (Keep this in mind; it's significant to the upcoming plot.)

Harridge cottage - Catherine works on needlepoint and answers Bramwell's insistent knock at the door.  I had to see you, he says.  No! she says.  We're going to see each other and we're going to talk, he orders, barging into the house.  We've already talked, she says.  Not enough! he says.  You think you can come back to Collinwood and change everything that's happened while you were gone? she asks.  I don't care about most of the things that have happened, he says, I care about you.  Don't start that again! she says.  He pulls her into his arms and says, "You're afraid that you have to face the truth that you love me--you knew I would come back for you when I could!"  She pulls away--didn't you think I would change in five years?  You haven't changed! he insists--we're alike, we've always been just exactly alike.  All the more reason we should never marry, she says, quietly.  He forces her to face him, and gently says, "It is the reason you could never marry anyone else."  You don't listen to me, she says--you don't think!  If I thought you had one chance of being happy with him, begins Bramwell.  It's my only chance, she says.  In that house? he asks, shaking his head--I don't understand you--I don't understand what you see in him--he's spoiled, arrogant--weak!  Why did you come back? she asks, why did you come back?  I came back, he says, because I knew without being told that you were in trouble--I dreamed of you every night--I wanted to wait until I made my fortune, but the dreams went on and on (she smiles a bit, liking this--and what woman wouldn't?).  You are part of me, Catherine, he says, and draws her close for a long kiss.  She submits, then draws back.  You do love me still, he says, triumphant--why do you want that other life--that life without me?  I love Morgan, she maintains.  Whatever you feel for him, he says, you've decided to call it love, but you know it is not!  He and I can have a good life together, says Catherine.  But I can give you that! he says.  How? she demands--what will we live on?--your bitterness towards the rich Collinses?  Is that why you want to marry them? asks Bramwell, for the money?  No it is not! she says, I want the life he can give me--try to understand what it's like, at my age, living here in this house, making do.  I can get the money! he shouts, I swear I will!--I have a plan!  You have always had a plan, she says.  This time it will work, he assures her--I have a ship that has already gone to the Orient, and when it comes back, I will have enough money to boy another one.  No, Bramwell, she says softly, we had our happiness, when we were young, when everything was still possible--and I did love you then, more than I ever dreamed I could love--and I remember it well--those afternoons by the ocean, and the bonfires we built at night when the chill came in the air--I do remember--the dreams, the plans, but those dreams and plans are over!  He takes her in his grasp again--I won't let them be, he says.  We can't go back and live it all again! she says.  We'll start again with new plans and hopes, he says.  NO, we can't! she says/  Their argument is interrupted when Morgan enters the cottage, calling Bramwell.
Bramwell and Morgan survey each other with hatred.  What are you doing here? demands Morgan.  You know as well as I do, says Bramwell coldly.  Did Catherine invite you here? asks Morgan.  You are not married to her yet, Bramwell reminds him.  We are engaged, says Morgan.  You may think you're lord of the manor, says Bramwell, and that Collinsport is some feudal domain, but I will go where I want and when I want.  You are never to come here again, orders Morgan.  You are that afraid of me? asks Bramwell.  Morgan steps forward, ready to fight, but Catherine pushes him away--no!  Yes, says Bramwell, Catherine is right, let her decide--she still lives here and she still can see whomever she wishes.  Catherine has turned away.  Well, Catherine? asks Morgan.  We're waiting, says Bramwell.  She turns to face them--Bramwell, she says, I wish you would never come here again.  You'll be sorry you said that, he says, stung--you will change your mind--and he leaves.  Catherine shakes her head at Morgan.  You were in love with him once, he reminds her--are you still?  She runs into his embrace--hold me, she begs (and save her from her own passion for Bramwell, one suspects)--I feel so safe in your arms, safer than I've ever felt in my life--no, Morgan, I love YOU!  Listen to me, he says, we must marry tonight.  She's shocked--tonight?--why?  I can't tell you why, he says, we just must.  Because of Bramwell, she guesses--but why? she asks, we've already sent out the invitations for next month!  You've always been able to change at the spur of the moment, he reminds her.  But I don't understand, not now, she says.  My father is dying, he says.  She's horrified--oh, no, she says.  I don't expect him to live out the night, he says.  I'm so sorry, Catherine says.  I'll go get Reverend Terry, he says, and wake the mayor.  What are you talking about? she asks--you want to get married because your father is dying?--you've just given me a reason not to marry.  If you loved me, you'd do it, he says.  I do love you, she says, but you haven't told me why you want to marry tonight!  He looks away, not answering.  The expression on your face, she says, whenever I see it, it frightens me--it's as though you go into yourself somewhere I can't reach you--what is it you won't tell me?--it has something to do with your family, doesn't it, the people at Collinwood--in Collinsport, they say there are secrets here at Collinwood.  Never listen to them again! cries Morgan angrily.  I don't listen to them, she assures him, I never pay attention to what they say--but unless you tell me why you want to marry tonight, I won't do it!

Collinwood, parlor - Julia, says Flora, I can't bear being in this room--what a nightmare this night has been!--I can still see the body there--she cries a bit.  Julia tries to comfort her, but Flora is worried--suppose someone saw us burying him?  No one did, Julia assures her.  Poor Justin, sobs Flora--Julia, do you remember what he was like before...  Before he went into that room 10 years ago, finishes Julia.  He valued life so, says Flora, we can't blame him, Julia--it's not our Justin that killed that man, not the Justin I married.  Melanie enters--Papa wants me to read to him from the bible, she says--I honestly think he's better.  I hope so, says Flora.  Melanie goes to get the bible.  Melanie, were you with Justin when he has his second attack? asks Julia.  Yes, were you? asks Flora anxiously.  Melanie shakes her head--oh, no, she says, I went to his room to see how he was feeling, but he wasn't there.  Where was he? asks Flora, where did he go?  I don't know, says Melanie--I found him downstairs, all excited, I never saw him like that before.
Flora exchanges looks of consternation with Julia.  Melanie, go read to Justin, urges Flora.  Yes, agrees Melanie, and leaves.  If Justin does, it will be so terrible for us, says Flora, beginning to cry again--do you suppose she knows we found that man's body?--Justin tells her everything.  No, Julia assures her, that man's name is Trask--she opens a wallet she found on the body.  It must be one of the Trasks that owns the bakery, says Flora (a real cream puff Trask, eh?), taking the wallet--we must destroy this--she looks through it, sees Lamar Trask, and says I know no Lamar Trask.  I don't understand it, says Julia--look at his business card (did they have those back then?)--it says he's an undertaker with a chapel on Front Street.  There is no funeral chapel there, says Flora.  Perhaps he had just come to town, suggests Julia, perhaps he was planning on starting one.  He wouldn't have cards printed first, says Flora--you must burn this, promise me that.  It's almost funny, isn't it, says Julia--an undertaker, buried by two women, in the field?  Justin killed him, says Flora, we had to do it!  I know that, says Julia--sometimes I regret all the things we've had to do because of that room--we should burn this house to the ground!  It would follow us wherever we went, you know that, says Flora.  We're trapped, aren't we? asks Julia.  When I think of my sons--and the lottery, sobs Flora, pressing a handkerchief to her face.  Oh, Flora, Justin won't die, not now, Julia assures her.  How do you know? asks Flora.  He can't die before someone sees the woman in white, says Julia, and no one has seen her yet--she's always comes just before the death of someone who's been in that room--she hasn't been seen tonight--have faith, Flora, that she won't be seen.  Flora looks skeptical, and sad.

Old House - You aren't surprised to see me, Bramwell, says Morgan.  No, agrees Bramwell-- you've come to tell me not to try and see Catherine again.  I want your promise, insists Morgan.  Do you? asks Bramwell sarcastically--do you think you'll get it?--you Collinses have taught me not to live by a gentleman's standards--regardless of how others feel.  We have taught you nothing, says Morgan, you've always envied us, wanted everything we have.  Catherine was mine, says Bramwell.  She's not yours anymore, says Morgan.
She will be, says Bramwell.  Morgan starts to put his hands around Bramwell's throat.  Watch it! warns Bramwell--if you and I fight, one of us will have to die--now get out!  Morgan leaves, but shakes a finger at Bramwell, reminding him, "Just remember what I said."  Bramwell slams the doors on him.

Catherine is pacing the parlor at Collinwood  when Melanie joins her--you wanted to see me? asks Melanie  Yes, says Catherine--you want Morgan and me to marry, don't you?  I want anyone to be happy that can be, agrees Melanie. He just came to me and said he wanted to marry tonight, says Catherine.  Oh no! exclaims Melanie.  He wouldn't give me his reason, says Catherine, but you know what it is, don't you?  Melanie shakes her head.  You do! says Catherine, I can tell--please help me this one time, and I will help you whenever I can--help me to understand what is happening in this house--please!--it will be out secret, I swear to you--whatever you tell me to help understand Morgan--please, please will you tell me?  Melanie nods.  Julia interrupts, calling to Catherine--how kind of you to call, she says insincerely.  Melanie is afraid at having been caught.  Go back to read to Justin, Julia advises her niece--it seemed to help him a great deal--I would continue if I were you.  Yes, Julia, says Melanie, and flees the room.  Morgan is not hack from the village, Catherine, says Julia.  I only came because I thought I might help Mr. Collins, lies Catherine.  I see, says Julia, well, there's nothing you can do
--this is not a night, if you will excuse me, for anybody but the closest relatives to be at Collinwood--I will see you to your carriage--come!  She leads Catherine out.

Woods - a storm fills the air.  Morgan walks, lamenting out loud, nothing ever goes right for me--Collinwood is a house of death--but Catherine will make it live, I know she. . .no. . .the woman in white. . .oh, Father, tonight is the night!

NOTES:  Catherine wants to marry Morgan for the good, luxurious life he can give her; Bramwell, her childhood boyfriend, wants her to live on true love with him.  Which man will win out?  There's no love lost on either side, for these two warring men in the same family, and it looked as if either man would gladly, guiltlessly, kill the other.  What is the family beef here?  Bramwell is Barnabas' son with Josette, but what has led to Bramwell's bitterness against the family?

The woman in white has been seen--will Justin die and force the family to hold the deadly lottery?

Julia seems like a strong woman here, and despite her frequent bursting into tears, so does Flora.  The two of them buried a man by themselves, with nary a speck of dirt on their gowns--pretty cool!

This storyline has its supernatural elements, but many more traditional soap trappings, too.  The hope is that someone will beat the curse of the locked room--will it be a member of 1841PT?

I have to wonder about something--was there no contact between Catherine and Bramwell when he went away to make his fortune?  No letters pledging fervent, eternal love?  Why did she get involved with Morgan in the first place?  If he kept in touch with her, then Bramwell has reason to be peeved, but if not, I can't blame the gal for not waiting all those years!  On the other hand, he claims to have a plan, and she should trust him and wait--but if money is all she wants, how shallow is she?

1200 - Jonathan Frid does the intro, and I always enjoy that.   He has that very special voice!

Melanie sits with her father.  I can tell you're feeling better, she says--would you like me to read more to you?  He shakes his head.  The storm, she says--tomorrow, it will be a lovely day, Papa.  She gazes out the window, opens it, and spots the apparition of the woman in white.  What? asks Justin, sensing her fear.  It was nothing she says, the lightning, so close it frightened me.  The...woman...in...white! he struggles to mutter.  No, it wasn't, she lies.  He struggles out of bed, despite her insistence the doctor told him not to.  I've got to see! he insists, stumbling across the floor.  Melanie tries to make him get into bed, but he looks out the window, and says, she is here--she has come for me.
You didn't see her, says Melanie, it was an illusion, that all.  Once before, when father died, I saw her standing there, says Justin, I'm not ready to die, I won't!  You have to live, you have to! cries Melanie.

In the drawing room at Collinwood, Morgan tells Gabriel, I've seen the woman in white.  Gabriel gulps--get the key, Morgan, he begs--I need a drink!  Morgan hands him the key; Gabriel grabs it and hurries to unlock the sideboard.  Do you think rum is going to make that specter go away? asks Morgan.  Gabriel takes out the bottle and a glass--no, he says, it makes me feel good, warm inside, burning--the hand of death touches me, I don't want to feel her icy hand.  She has not come for you, says Morgan, annoyed.  But for Father, says Gabriel--with him gone, who's going into that room?  There are three of us, says Morgan.  Three? asks Gabriel--no, there are more than three--there's Melanie.  She's not a Collins, says Morgan.  She was adopted, she is, insists Gabriel--Julia.  And Mother? demands Morgan--are you willing to have Mother join in the lottery too? The more there are, begins Gabriel...  ...the less chance there is of you being the one, says Morgan.  Gabriel finishes his drink and starts to leave the room--Morgan, you can stay if you're stupid enough to, but I'm not going to.  You leave this house now, warns Morgan, and I'll see to it you never have another penny!  Do you think I care? asks Gabriel--at least I'll be alive!--away from this madness, and no one will know where I am, because I won't tell them--no one will find me, including the thing in that room.  Morgan grabs his arm and says, through gritted teeth, you're going nowhere!

You can't keep me here, states Gabriel.  Can't I? asks Morgan.  Will you keep me in my room, locked? asks Gabriel.  You won't leave, predicts Morgan--you can't live without us--you can't do anything, you can't get a job!--except stand in some tavern until you're so drunk, you fall down--you can't run, none of us can--they've tried before--he knows where we go.  I know, says Gabriel--I'll change my name.  He'd recognize you, says Morgan.  Stop it! demands Gabriel, smacking his own forehead.  You cannot leave unless one of us goes into that room, spends the night, and comes out in the morning, sane and alive--only then will it be over, the curse finished, says Morgan.  Papa was strong before he went into the room, remember? asks Gabriel.  Yes, says Morgan.  And Grandfather, too--there's no way we can avoid this!--he goes over and grabs the bottle.  I suggest you go see Father before you get too drunk, advises Morgan--you'd better keep all the wits you possess--before this night is over, you're going to need them.  He leaves.  Gabriel pours another drink.  Bramwell enters the house; Gabriel greets him--"The wanderer has returned--I heard you were back, Bramwell, did you come joyfully bearing bad news--did you see a mysterious figure outside the house?"  Bramwell, puzzled, says I don't know what you're talking about--I came to see how Justin is.  He's dying, says Gabriel.  I want to see him, says Bramwell.  Absolutely not, insists Gabriel--we want his death to be peaceful.  Bramwell turns away.  Did you male good your childish boast? taunts Gabriel--did you come back here the rich, successful gentleman as you promised?--what's the world like outside?--is it easy to become a success?  I came back as penniless as I went away, says Bramwell.  How can that be, Bramwell?--you're so bright and ambitious, says Gabriel sarcastically.  My situation will change, says Bramwell.  Don't expect Father's death to change it for the better, advises Gabriel.  I'm not expecting anything from your father, says Bramwell.  You will get something, says Gabriel, a chance at the lottery.  Bramwell just looks at him.  You are a Collins, aren't you? demands Gabriel--you live on the estate, and you have certain obligations.  I have none! insists Bramwell, who starts to leave.  Are you frightened? asks Gabriel, are you to scared to join us?  Your family has done nothing for me, says Bramwell.  Oh, says Gabriel, indeed?  Nothing, repeats Bramwell, and I will do nothing for your family--except share the grief for your father's death--that is, if you have the decency to grieve--he exits into the kitchen area as Gabriel drains his drink.

Morgan, he saw, whispers Melanie, I could not stop him.  You should not be here alone with him, says Morgan, one of us should always be here.  He wants me, says Melanie--I know you resent that.  If I'd been here, he wouldn't have tried to get out of bed, says Morgan--I would not have let him--he would not have seen her.  I did the best I could, she says, it's not enough, never enough! she sobs.  Be quiet, he orders--you'll awaken him--they gaze down at the sleeping Justin.  How calm and peaceful he looks, remarks Morgan, as if he's saving all his strength.  Justin awakens with a start.  Are you feeling better? asks Morgan.  The room! cries Justin.  Papa, there's no one here but us! Melanie assures him.  She's here! insists Justin, grabbing his chest.  Morgan looks around.

Justin groans. She brought the pain, he says.  There's no one here, Melanie assures him, you'll be all right.  The medicine, Morgan says.  I want to speak to Melanie alone, insists Justin.  I refuse to leave, says Morgan.  Justin, agitated, holds Melanie's hand against his chest.  Morgan leaves the room.  There is no one here but me, she says, and sits with him.

Gabriel continues steadily drinking in the drawing room.  Quentin exits the kitchen area with Bramwell.  Your concern for Justin is very kind, says Quentin--everyone else around here seems more concerned about what will happen after he dies.  If there's anything I can do to help, says Bramwell.  You really mean that, don't you? asks Quentin, impressed--even after the way you were treated?  Bramwell doesn't reply.  Quentin gives him a friendly hit on the shoulder, enters the drawing room and says, join us, Bramwell--the death watchers.  Quentin sits on the sofa as Gabriel surveys the men.  How badly do you need money? Gabriel calculatedly asks Bramwell, who looks perplexed.  No, you're a Collins, says Gabriel--I forgot--even if you do deny the lottery, you are a Collins.  He brushes a seemingly friendly hand on Bramwell's shoulder and says, I suppose I'll just have to find somebody else to pretend to be me.  What are you talking about? asks Quentin.  In the village! says Gabriel--the fishermen, they're always anxious for money!--I could hire one of them, dress him up in my clothes, put him in the room--fool the ghost completely--I think I'm going to do that.  Will you stop talking nonsense? asks Quentin, annoyed.  I'm perfectly serious, says Gabriel.  You're not going to get anyone else involved in this that doesn't have to be, orders Quentin, because I'm not going to let you!  Brave brother! mocks Gabriel.  I'm no braver than anyone else in this house, insists Quentin, you depend on the Collins name to make a living, so take some of the bad things that go along with it!  You're the one who scoffs at the room, says it's all legend, Gabriel reminds him--and you say all the terrible things that have happened in that room are self-imposed.  All right, says Quentin, maybe I said that at one point in the game--now I'm not so sure I believe it--but I'll make a wager I find out about it before I die--and when I do, I'm not going to be a coward about it.  Stung, Gabriel drains yet another drink.

Justin's bedroom - Melanie, get Morgan! Justin orders his daughter...the letter...the safe...Brutus Collins' letter--the lottery must happen!  What if we don't have a lottery, suggests Melanie--let us take that chance.  He violently shakes his head--NO!  You know and I know that no one must go into that room, she insists.  Unless someone goes in, gasps Justin, it will be worse for everyone.  She rests her head on him, crying.  He touches her hair--don't cry, he says--without the lottery, we are doomed.  What are we going to do with it? she asks.  I wish I could save you, he says.  I know you would, she says.  He pushes off the covers, intent on getting out of bed--I must try...do something...  She tries to stop him, but he gets past her.  Don't go to the room, begs Melanie--it will do no good, Father, please!

Justin lurches to a hallway that leads to a room covered in draperies and cobwebs.  He stands there, eyes wide.  Melanie runs to him, begging, don't go in!  Be still! he says, then turns to the door and says, "No--no more of us--can't take anymore of us
--am I not enough?--no more!--do you hear me?"  He cries out and collapses to the floor.

Drawing room - Quentin paces.  Gabriel shakes his bottle--empty--do you know, he says, that at one time, this bottle was full?  Morgan joins the his brothers--Father is dead, he announces.  Bramwell is saddened.  Gabriel, afraid, remarks, "What a time for the bottle to be empty."  Quentin, says Morgan, go to our mother, whom I have already informed of Justin's death.  Quentin leaves.  I'm going, too, insists a drunken Gabriel.  I think it wise not to let Flora see you in your condition, advises Morgan.  I am going to see her, insists Gabriel, staggering past his older brother, leaving Morgan and Bramwell alone in the drawing room.  Bramwell starts to walk wordlessly past Morgan, who says, there is no need for you to stay.  I'm going to see Melanie, says Bramwell.  She is not up to it, says Morgan--she was with Father at the end.  She'll want to see me, says Bramwell, and leaves.  Morgan gazes after him.

Justin's room - I had to come back to his room, Bramwell, says Melanie--he loved me, even if I wasn't his real daughter--once I wanted to find out who my real parents were, he told me not to try--wasn't it enough to have him and Mama?--it was...it was...the boys, they resent me, as they do you.  Gently Bramwell urges, you must get away from Collinwood now.  She looks at him, astounded
--get away? she repeats  Your father must have left you enough money, says Bramwell.  Where would I go? she asks.  Somewhere, says Bramwell, anywhere you can have a life of your own--wouldn't you like that?--away from this house, with all its superstitions and fears?  I couldn't leave, she insists.  Why? he asks.  I couldn't, she says, anymore than the rest of them--don't ever ask me about it again.  Bramwell looks at her sadly.

12:00 - Justin's coffin sits in the drawing room, a lit candle on both sides.  It's barbaric, pronounces Quentin, touching the coffin--Father's body should be in a chapel in town.  Father doesn't want it that way, says Gabriel.  Yes, says Quentin, because of her, no one can come to this house--no strangers are allowed at Collinwood, and everyone is a stranger to us.  We must do as Mother wants, says Gabriel. Yes, says Quentin, so father has to be buried as if he had the Black Plague, as if we were ashamed of his death.  Morgan enters, an ancient paper in his hands.  What have you got there? asks Gabriel.  You know as well as I do, says Quentin--Brutus Collins' letter--dated 1680.  Father told Melanie I was to read it this evening, says Morgan.  You're not going to read it aloud, are you? asks Gabriel nervously.  Quentin laughs--what's the matter with you, Gabriel?--are you afraid to hear it?  We must do as Father wanted, says Morgan, and proceeds to read:  "'To my children: There is a curse upon our family, on this house, I sit this night in the room where it started, knowing I must stay until morning and confront our enemies--if I live through the night, come from this room in sound mind, this letter will never be read--but if I should die, or be changed by what must happen here, then one of you must do what I am doing now--the curse will continue, the room is quiet now, but I have the feeling it will not be for long--my children, what a heritage to leave you--you must choose the one to enter the room fairly--I would suggest a lottery--you will know when the time comes--one of you will see the specter of a woman in white--I will not explain why this curse started, but I know in the depths of my soul that it is useless to run--to leave this house we love so much--and if you do not follow what I have said, doom and destruction will come to you all--I write this hoping that in the morning I will burn it--but I fear not'--written on this day, the 10th of March, 1680, Brutus Collins."  There's no way out! says Gabriel.  There's got to be! insists Quentin--we can't go on living like this, it's insane!  He angrily leaves the room.  Morgan places the letter on the desk and takes out a piece of paper and scissors.  Gabriel, he says, I'm preparing the lottery slips--there are three of them.  We don't have to do this tonight, says Gabriel.  Yes we do, says Morgan, because if we don't, we all may be punished.  What the devil did Brutus Collins do? demands Gabriel--he brought the curse on us--we don't have to do this tonight--this room and destruction, nobody believes that!
I do, says Morgan, and Father did.  There's got to be a way out! cries Gabriel, running from the room--there's got to be a way out!  There is not, says Morgan, looking down at the three slips of paper on the desk.  He takes a pen and draws an X on one slip.

NOTES:  Justin is dead and now the curse must go on.  Gabriel is the cowardly one, Quentin the practical one, Morgan the eldest, who must take all the details of his father's death and the lottery upon himself.  All three are scared.  Why isn't Bramwell taking part in all this, I wonder?  Very tacky of Gabriel to suggest paying Bramwell to take his place, but this Gabriel doesn't seem much better than the 1840 version, but at least not murderous--yet.

Bramwell is right--Melanie needs a life of her own.  After only a few episodes, we can tell she is terribly sheltered, too attached, perhaps, to her father--yet she doesn't feel loved by the "real" family members.  Flora is probably grateful to have a daughter, with three sons.  And Bramwell seems to care more for Melanie--and Justin, for that matter--than their more immediate family does.

There also seems far more warmth between Quentin and Bramwell than Quentin and his blood brothers.  This is also a complex family dynamic.

I'm glad Justin is gone, mostly because I was having a tough time understanding him.

Will the lottery take place tomorrow?

Love, Robin