Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118243 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #810 on: June 23, 2021, 08:18:20 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #795 (1897) - Aristede - 'I'm sorry, but the plan has been set in motion already and we MUST follow through to the end.'

From "Robservations 2/4/03 - #794/795 - Hope For Quentin?"
"On the table," orders Aristede.  Quentin lies back, and stares up nervously at the sharp blade above him.  Aristede binds Quentin's hands to the table, too.  It's wise for you to cooperate, says Aristede--if you hadn't, the Dancing Girl would have finished you.  What difference does it make? asks Quentin, you're going to kill me anyway.  I never said that, says Aristede--I want you to live.  "Then don't do this to me!" cries Quentin.  I'm afraid the decision isn't mine, says Aristede.  Whose is it?  asks Q--if it's the hand, maybe I can help you get it.  Aristede apologizes--the plan has been set in motion and we must follow through to the end.
Tell me the plan, demands Quentin.  Aristede explains, your life now depends on someone else, and if that someone loves you, you'll live--if not...well. . .
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 24, 2021, 01:04:04 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #123 (1966) - Joe - 'Although I MUST say I would have liked to have given her a chop or two.'

From "#0123/0124: Robservations 08/14/01: Found but Abandoned"
I'm afraid, says Joe, that Carolyn and I have crossed each other off our Christmas card lists. Maggie grins. Just for the season? she asks. Permanently, he says. Your social-climbing days are over? asks Maggie. He shakes his head--that's not why I was going out with her and you know it. I'm sorry, says Maggie gently.--hey, I won't be able to serve another dinner until I know what happened. It's pretty simple, he says, Carolyn just turned out to be something other than what I thought she was. That's a good reason, says Maggie, how did you finally come to that conclusion? She was in Burke Devlin's hotel room last night, says Joe. Hey, says Maggie, that's enough to blow the horn on anyone
--how did you know? I was there, too, he says. Talk about convention! laughs Maggie--how did that little combination fall together? (Did she think they were having a threesome?) Oh, says Joe, we were searching for Vicki, and Mrs. Stoddard thought Carolyn might know where she was--I suspected that Carolyn was with Devlin, so I went to the hotel, knocked at his door. You didn't have to say you were the house detective, did you? asks Maggie. I didn't even have to break the door down, he says--I guess they just wanted to make me look silly. Did they? she asks. In spades, he says. How? she asks. I took a swing at Devlin, confesses Joe. Oh, Joe! she says, but she's pleased to hear this. He drinks his coffee. That was silly, she says, did you at least connect? I connected, all right, he says--and he did, too. How many teeth did that cost? she asks. No problem in the dental department, he says, but a couple of lumps up here--and he gestures to his cheek. She laughs--who hit the floor first? she asks. Carolyn got in the middle and kind of broke it up, says Joe, although I must say I'd liked to have given her a chop or two. I told you the town was swinging, she says, and you didn't believe me.
[/spoiler]

Again, the Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

And another surprise Joe quote...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 24, 2021, 04:04:16 AM »

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: June 24, 2021, 04:16:01 PM »
[pointing-up]  I was very happy to find it because, as we know only too well, actual quotes in which Joel Crothers says "must" are few and far between.  [easter_sad]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 24, 2021, 04:28:20 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #544 (1968) - Prof. Stokes - 'I MUST be more careful. There are times when even a momentary loss of self-control can be dangerous.'

From "Robservations 7/1/02 - Stokes Demands Answers - #544/545"
Stokes knocks at the door and Nicholas lets him in. Stokes is surprised to see Nicholas, a reaction the warlock picks up on. Stokes says he must be more careful not to show a loss of control-it could be dangerous.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote fairly well...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Prof. Stokes - 'If anyone else discovers you, as Mrs. Johnson's son did yesterday, you MUSTN'T panic or be frightened') was back on July 29th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 25, 2021, 01:48:57 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #889 (1969) - Chris - 'I no longer even have the luxury of waiting for the full moon, but that cell, solitary confinement, just isn't the answer. Julia, there MUST be some other way.'

From "Robservations 4/11/03 - #888-889 - The Todds, the Box, the Mysterious Stranger"
Chris is in a tizzy--I want to speak to Carolyn. You can't speak to her now, says Julia, I have some questions--why did you leave Windcliff?  I was going crazy in that padded cell! Complains Chris. You can't be here, says Julia, you know that, you could change any minute without warning. Yes, says Chris bitterly, I no longer have the luxury of waiting for the full moon, but solitary confinement isn't the answer--there must be some other way. I don't want to raise any false hopes, she says, but I have learned about a man named Tate, who might help you, if he's still alive--a slim chance..
[/spoiler]

While not word for word, the Robservations references the quote well...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Sabrina - 'Alone. I MUST speak to you alone') was back on October 20th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 26, 2021, 01:42:20 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #142 (1967) - Laura - 'I've given it some thought and decided what MUST be done.'

From "#0142/0143: Robservations 08/28/01: Through a Painting Darkly"
Vicki comes up to David's room, where he is on his bed, putting a string on the back of the painting. You're just in time, he says, I finished. Vicki sits on his bed with him and suggests that before he hang it, he think about it. No, sir, he says, my mother said OK, and I'm going to hang it up. She said OK because she knew how much you wanted it, says Vicki, but it's not making her happy. I don't see why she doesn't like it, complains David, it's a beautiful painting, and looks just like her. She doesn't want you to think of her looking like this! protests Vicki. Why not? he asks, it's a good painting. It's time you started thinking of how to make your mother happy, says Vicki. Oh, he says, how about over here (above his dresser)--he stand on a hassock. You're not listening to me! accuses Vicki. This will look good, he says, hanging it on a nail already in the wall. I suppose it's as good as any, says Vicki, upset--I never should have brought that picture here. There, says David, stepping away to admire it--that's a good spot--I can see it from all around the room. Vicki turns and looks. David straightens it, and asks how it looks. Strange, says Vicki. that's the reason I like it so much, he says, it's different. Somehow, says Vicki, I think it looks like it belongs in this room. You can see it from over here very well, says David--I can sit and watch it, all day long. Laura comes in. I've hung it up, he says, taking her by the hand--doesn't it look cool? Oh, David, she says, I've given it some thought and decided what must be done--mothers aren't always the wonderful creatures children would like them to be--and I'm going to do something you're not going to like. She reaches for the painting. Don't take my painting! cries David, grabbing her arm. David! she says. Don't take it, he begs. But it's very bad for you! she says. "If you take it," he warns, "then I won't talk to you--ever!"
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 27, 2021, 03:04:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #1173 (1840) - Daphne - 'I MUST of had that dream again-- but why can't I remember it?'

From "#1173/1174_1175: Robservations 11/19/03: Desmond in Deep Trouble"
Daphne awakens and sits up, distressed--I must have had the dream again, she says--but why can't I remember it--oh, God, what's happening to me?
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote nearly perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 28, 2021, 02:20:25 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #382 (1795) - Naomi - 'By this time you MUST be quite an authority.'

From "#0382/0383: Robservations 03/05/02:"
Naomi drinks in her room. She hides the bottle when Abigail knocks at her door. Her sister in law comes in and begins to blather heatedly, hatefully, on and on about the cat, the devil, and Naomi's drinking. Naomi suggests Abigail must be quite an authority on the devil by this time and SHE drinks as a tonic for her shattered nerves.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote well, though not perfectly...

And I love this line from Naomi - it's good to see that she has no misgivings about mocking Abigail (though in this case we know that even though Abigail has the wrong target in Vicki, she is right when it comes to witchcraft being practiced in the house.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 29, 2021, 04:28:20 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #1025 (1970PT) - Hoffman - 'You MUST excuse me, I have a busy day tomorrow.'

From "#1024/1025: Robservations 07/17/03: First the Dress, Then Suicide"
Midnight - Hoffman comes downstairs at Collinwood, locks the front doors, turns out the light. She enters the party-strewn living room and begins cleaning up. Roger comes out from between the drapes, touches her arm and asks, what's the secret?  Secret? repeats Hoffman. Something has happened in this house, says Roger, since you returned from your vacation, something has happened to you. Nothing has happened, she says. You can lie to others, but not to me, Hoffman, he says. You're imagining things, she says. No I'm not, he insists
--something has happened in this house, to you--I don't like secrets, unless I'm included in them--and I will be--I will be!  She again says, I don't know what you're talking about. Fear, says Roger, I think--fear! You must excuse me, she says, I have a busy day tomorrow. She leaves.
[/spoiler]

I love the expressions I was able to capture on Roger and Hoffman's faces:

And there's so much subtext in this scene, some of which we were completely unaware of when it comes to Roger...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 30, 2021, 02:14:24 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #296 (1967) - Barnabas - 'Tomorrow night, you MUST die.'

From "#0295/0296: Robservations 12/21/01: Julia Protects Her Vampire!"
Old House - Julia triumphantly tells Barnabas, who's been nervously pacing and worrying, that, using hypnosis, she wiped Maggie's memory clean--she doesn't remember him and probably never will. That "probably" unnerves Barnabas, but Julia promises him she will renew the hypnosis as needed--if he cooperates.
She'll do anything to make this experiment happen, short of taking a life, and Maggie, memory gone, can't hurt him. Julia coolly pushes a cigarette in a holder, then lights it in Barnabas' candelabra. He has no choice but to cooperate, she says, and leaves him, agreeing with her, like she's a queen and he a lowly subject. After she's gone, however, he realizes it's dawn. Maggie Evans is safe for now, he says, but, "Tomorrow night, you must die."
[/spoiler]

Again, a perfect reference to the quote in a Robservations...

(This ep has several "MUST" lines, so you can be assured that we'll be seeing more from it...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 01, 2021, 01:06:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #874 (1897) - Lady Kitty - 'I don't care who we are, or what we are, we MUST be happy. We MUST.'

From "Robservations 4/2/03 - #874-875 - Beth's Realization; Beth's Mistake"
"The day that I become Josette duPres, forget Kitty Soames, something terrible will happen, I know it," says Kitty You can't know it, he says. I know everything Josette knew, she says--there was no picture in London, was there, Barnabas--you did not fall in love with a portrait. No, he admits, I fell in love with a woman. A woman who lived 100 years ago, she reminds him--how can I accept that? "I want you to accept that," he says gently. We focus in close-up on Josette's portrait; the music plays. "Yes," says Kitty, back under the spell, "yes, you are my love--but alive!" Oh, Josette, he murmurs.
"You've changed--able to live during the day, but alive!" she exults, then reverts back to being Kitty--"The man that I met, the man Kitty Soames met the first night at Collinwood--I met you in the forest and you started all this!"  By living! he says. "By the chance that I came here!" she cries. "I would have found you," he counters. Becoming Josette again, she says dreamily, "Yes, yes, you would have found me!" Kitty: "OH, WHAT AM I SAYING, I CAN'T BEAR IT!" She covers her face and tries to flee, but he grabs her, not letting her go. I must leave Collinwood! sobs Kitty, now!  That won't stop it, he insists, detaining her--"You'll come back to me!" Please, she begs, but he refuses to release her. He holds her close, his hand on her hair, calming her down.  She leans against him, once more Josette. "At last," she says, "I do remember what it was like, being in your arms--I don't care who we are, or what we are, we must be happy, we must." They kiss.
[/spoiler]

And Kitty doesn't actually say "I must leave Collinwood!" - what she really says is "I've got to leave Collinwood now!"

And this is perhaps one of the most romantic scenes on DS. The sad thing, though, is that Kitty is quite right when she says that if she becomes Josette, something terrible will happen. But this is a soap opera, after all, and a Gothic one at that, and Gothic Romance tends to be quite tragic.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 02, 2021, 03:20:01 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #566 (1968) - Willie - 'Wha...I guess she MUST of changed her mind.'

From "Robservations 7/18/02 - #566/567 - Barnabas Learns the Truth"
Barnabas finds Willie straightening up the lab and inquires after Julia. Willie evasively says she returned to Collinwood--he doesn't know why. Â Barnabas thought she'd be working late, at least that is what she said. She must have changed her mind, suggests Willie, she was tired, needed rest, was working too hard. Barnabas can tell Willie is holding back information and demands to know what.
Willie says nothing, but Barn says he's behaving strangely--why?
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote well...

And I love the expression on Willie's face as he tries to avoid answering Barnabas' question directly:

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Tom - 'You know now you MUST come to me here every night when I call to you') was back on May 5th of 2020.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: July 03, 2021, 01:52:47 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #31 (1966) - Roger - 'Burke, he spent an hour with you. If he managed to get into town just to do that, it MUST have been... he MUST have had a darn good reason.'

From "#0031/0032: Robservations 06/08/01: Son vs. Father"
Just a minute! says Burke, take it easy, the only reason I didn't tell you he was in my hotel room was because I was afraid you were going to get sore--he's in enough trouble. Roger slugs down his drink and asks Burke how he knew David was in trouble--did he tell you about it? Yes he did, says Burke, I should have been glad about it--because it would get you off my neck, but I felt sorry for the kid. Sorry? asks Roger--why did he come up to see you? Beats me, says Burke. He spent an hour with you, says Roger, if he managed to get into town just to do that, it must have had a darn good reason. Maybe he wanted to see what I looked like, chuckles Burke. All right, Burke! says Roger, annoyed. Why not? asks Burke, you've been blasting off about me for years, haven't you?--ever since that accident, the kid's heard nothing but Burke Devlin around here--so he makes a trip to the zoo to look at the monster--well, he saw him, and let me tell you something else--he didn't think he was such a bad guy! I want you to stay away from David, says Roger.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote well, though not perfectly - it sort of combines "it MUST have been" and "he MUST have had"...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: July 05, 2021, 03:02:23 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #155 (1967) - Laura - 'MUST be getting close to your dinner time. You'll have to be getting back. They'll be looking for you.'

From "#0154/0155: Robservations 09/07/01: Caretaker of the Crypt"
Cottage - By the fireplace, of course - I'm glad you came to see me today, Laura tells David, her arm around her son--I've missed you! You have? asks David, smiling up at her--I missed you, too. I'm glad, she says, hugging him--it must be getting close to your dinnertime--you going to have to be getting back, they'll be looking for you. Do I have to? he asks. I don't want you to go, she says, but I think it's best--after all, we don't want anyone to find you here, do we? I guess not, he agrees. Are you sure nobody knows you came here? she asks. Nobody knows, he says, Aunt Elizabeth was busy, and I waited until Miss Winters had gone into town.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly with the exception that Laura doesn't start the quote with "It must," just "Must," as the quote is written...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Laura - 'I MUST say, you're very good at making threats, aren't you?') was back on October 23rd.