Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118144 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #300 on: August 27, 2020, 01:48:55 PM »
Yesterday I forgot to include the screen capture of David Henesy. I wanted to include it because I just love the expression on his face:

I'm pretty sure he loved playing Jamison possessed by Petofi, and he was really so good at it. But then, despite his young age, he had more talent than many seasoned adult actors. It's almost impossible to believe that he was only 12 when this portion of 1897 was done...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 27, 2020, 05:48:52 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding yesterday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Yesterday's quote:
Ep #319 (1967) - Sam - 'You MUST remember that you've gotta be careful. We're still in danger.'

From "#0319/0320: Robservations 01/17/02: A Trap is Set"
Maggie returns to the cottage from a short walk to find her father worriedly pacing. She feels there's no longer any need for concern, but changes her mind when her father shows her the evening newspaper, its headline proclaiming, "Another Girl Attacked." You must be more careful than ever, insists Sam, increasing Maggie's fear.
[/spoiler]

Again, not a very detailed Robservations. But how things actually play out is after Sam expresses his concern that even though she's not supposed to, she sneaked off alone, Maggie protests that she didn't sneak out, she just walked out the door. But that's when Sam warns her with what is quoted. Her response is to say that she can't live being afraid of her own shadow. And when Sam counters that he's only trying to protect, Maggie says she knows what he's trying to do but there's no need anymore. But that's when Sam shows her the newspaper and she sees the headline.

I went looking for Sam saying that Maggie must be more careful than ever, but he actually says "gotta be" rather than "must be." Though what I did find with Sam saying "must" was what I quoted...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 28, 2020, 01:44:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding yesterday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

Ep #450 (1796) - Bathia - 'I fight an enemy that I MUST call by a name.'

From "#0449/0450: Robservations 04/19/02: Joshua Tries to Make it Right"
Joshua sets up Barn's portrait in the drawing room. You didn't tell me everything, she says--you must trust me, tell me all--I need a name for this enemy. "My son. . .my son is a vampire," Joshua says painfully, made so by the curse--won't he be human after the curse has been removed? Nothing is sure, she says, but now she knows how to start. Joshua closes the doors on Bathia and the portrait.
[/spoiler]

Not only was there already a quote in the slideshow from Ep #450 (Bathia - 'There is something you MUST TELL me before I can begin.'), it was from the same scene. But unlike how there almost wasn't any reference to that previous quote in the Robservations, the Robservations' rephrasing of this second quote is more representative of the actual quote. Though once again there is no use of "'must" in the rephrasing...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 29, 2020, 02:36:26 PM »

Ep #1177 (1840) - Roxanne's Ghost - 'You MUST follow me...follow me!'

From "#1176/1177: Robservations 11/20/03: Arrival From the Future"
9:15 - Julia, asleep on the sofa, dreams:  Julia! calls Roxanne.  Julia rises--Roxanne! she calls, and finds her at the front door.  He's dying, Julia, Barnabas is dying! cries Roxanne
--follow me--follow me--she gestures for Julia to follow her.  Where? asks Julia, where?  Follow me, bids Roxanne, over and over, Barnabas is dying!  They go to the docks.  You must save him, Roxanne, says Julia.  I can't, insists Roxanne, you must follow...follow me!  Yes, says Julia..
[/spoiler]

The quote appears almost word for word in the Robservations. The one thing that's missing is the word "me," as in "You must follow me"...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 30, 2020, 04:18:21 PM »

Ep #116 (1966) - Vicki - 'You MUST be insane.'

From "#0115/0116: Robservations 08/09/01: Prisoner of a Madman"
You talk as though I made some sort of plot against you, she wails--that's just not true--I never tried to hurt you! You did hurt me! he says--you did the worst thing one person can do to another--you set friend against friend--YOU TURNED MZ STODDARD AGAINST ME! That's ridiculous, says Vicki, violently shaking her head. You made her lie for you! accuses Matthew--she tried to trick me, tried to turn me over to the sheriff--she never would have done that in the old days, before you came to Collinwood, it was all your doin'--you lied to her and she believed ya! Vicki shakes her head. Why did you do it? asks Matthew, near tears--why do you hate me? I don't hate you! Vicki assures him, and I didn't turn Mrs. Stoddard against you--I never said one word about you to her! You think I b'lieve your lies? He demands angrily--I got eyes and ears, I know what happened! you must be insane, says Vicki. DON'T SAY THAT TO ME! shouts Matthew, going for her throat, but stopping. I didn't mean it, says Vicki, tears glittering in her eyes. You're the crazy one, he says--you think I don't know what's going on?--I know what you done to me, Miss Winters, I wish I'd kilt you when I had the chance!
He again encircles her throat with his hands, but she struggles, and he shoves her down on a mattress lying on the floor. She's crying hard.
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 30, 2020, 07:30:07 PM »
It's Garth! Garth was very much a one-trick pony but John Harkins really brought him to life.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 30, 2020, 08:19:42 PM »
John Harkins was still in his thirties when he appeared on Dark Shadows. Guess that he was a born character actor.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 31, 2020, 02:58:04 PM »

Ep #883 (1897) - Garth Blackwood - 'You aided the prisoner years ago, you aided my murderer--now you MUST die!'

From "Robservations 4/8/03 - #882/883 - Walking the Floor With Q; Fire!"
He chains Petofi's hands together and adds, "I arrest you for all your crimes, past and present." He slaps Petofi across the face, over and over, ordering him, "Wake up!"  YOU! bellows Petofi, furious, then raises his hands, only to find them bound together by the chain. I waited for the proper moment to seize you, says Garth--this moment has come.  Barnabas wakes up--what happened? he asks. This is the trial of Andreas Petofi, says Blackwood--how do you testify, for or against? Barnabas gazes in shock at the odd-looking man, but recovers quickly, asking, who are you?  Answer the question, demands Garth. He's the master of Dartmoor, Charity tells Barnabas. Answer, how do you testify? asks Garth. Guilty, pronounces Barnabas with great glee. Good, says Garth--aiding and abetting the prisoner is punishable by death. To Petofi, Garth says, you aided the prisoner years ago, you aided my murderer--now you must die!
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 31, 2020, 03:08:29 PM »
It's Garth! Garth was very much a one-trick pony but John Harkins really brought him to life.

Garth is certainly a memorable character even though he was only in something like 5 eps.

John Harkins was still in his thirties when he appeared on Dark Shadows. Guess that he was a born character actor.

That would appear to be very true.  And with Garth he completely disappears into his character...

And here's yesterday's screen capture:

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 31, 2020, 09:08:49 PM »
Wow, I don't even remember the scene shown in today's shot, though I do remember at least part of the episode.

All the fun I'm going to have that day I start watching DS from episode one again...

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 01, 2020, 03:06:12 PM »
Great shot and script quote today, MB.

It's a really long time since I last saw this episode--definitely over 20 years--but I seem to recall on my single previous viewing that she's saying all that while looking at a portrait that seems likely to have been painted of somebody contemporary to the period 1900-1910.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 01, 2020, 03:16:42 PM »

Ep #642 (1968) - Prof. Stokes - 'You MUST wait for word from him. He's trying to reach you, Vicki. He's trying. You believe that.'

From "Robservations 9/11/2 - #641/642 - Insane Love/Who is Magda?"
Vicki seems to contemplate suicide as she stands on Widows' Hill. She wonders--is this the only way she can be with Jeff? Liz and Stokes come upon Vicki. Liz, anxious, wants to rush to her, but Stokes grabs her, stopping her--if you do that, he warns, you might force Vicki to jump. Vicki, in the meantime, screams for them to stay away from her. Stokes asks Vicki to listen to him, please.

The wind blows Vicki's hair as she balances perilously close to the edge. She tells them she loves Jeff, and wants to be with him. Liz and Stokes beg her not to jump. Jeff wants you to live, Liz reminds her.
I can't, protests Vicki. Stokes reminds Vicki that Jeff isn't responsible for her standing there, but there may be another way--you must wait for word from Jeff, who is trying to reach you--as long as you believe it, let Jeff tell you what to do. Vicki bursts into a storm of crying. Stokes comes over and eases her away from the precipice. Liz follows after them.
[/spoiler]

Once again Robservations rephrases things - but it does come close to the actual quote...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 01, 2020, 04:00:08 PM »
Wow, I don't even remember the scene shown in today's shot, though I do remember at least part of the episode.

Here's the screen capture for anyone who might have missed it:

Back when AOL was an actual thriving entity and not a mere repository for e-mail, DS had a whole community there. I remember that back in September of 2002 there was a lengthy discussion on its message board about the cliffhanger of Ep #641, the previous ep to the one above, with the majority of posters screaming "Jump, Vicki, Jump!!" Let's just say there weren't many Betsy Durkin fans on AOL.  [ghost_wink]

Honestly, I've never disliked her, I've been neutral. True, Durkin's Vicki can't approach Moltke's, but she's not awful. And I do wish that it had been Carolyn Groves who'd been cast as Moltke's first replacement instead of coming in as Vicki #3 during a later 1796 flashback - I really had no trouble completely accepting her in the role. (And who knows, maybe with Grooves in the part, the audience would have accepted her Vicki and Vicki would have continued to be an ongoing character on the show - but we'll never know.) But my circumstances are different from most original fans when it comes to Durkin because I never saw any of her eps during their original run because they took place while DS had been banished to 8:30am and 2:30pm in my area. I didn't see her until I saw her eps in syndication in 1987, and by then I'd heard nothing but terrible things about her. And maybe if I'd seen Durkin in 1968, without having already heard such negativity, I would have had a more critical reaction to her, too, but in 1987 I didn't think she was anywhere near as bad as I'd been led to believe. So, I think that could explain why I'm neutral toward her Vicki...

All the fun I'm going to have that day I start watching DS from episode one again...

Half the fun of watching DS over again is seeing all the things you've completely forgotten about. I'm sure most of us remember basic things about each ep, but with 1225 eps, unless one has a photographic memory, maybe, it's impossible to remember everything...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 01, 2020, 04:59:01 PM »
I did watch Betsy during the original run. I thought that she did a decent enough job, replacing a very popular character on what seemed to be very short notice. People said some pretty vicious things about her at festivals and I remember some of the blowhards saying that they wanted to meet her just to tell her what a rotten actress she was. Then Betsy did appear at a festival and charmed just about everyone by being herself.  She especially liked me because I knew about her songwriting career before she mentioned it.
She told the story about how she got the job. DC was at the celebrity hangout Joe Allen's in Manhattan, moaning that he had to get a replacement for Alexandra quickly and was running out of options. Betsy Palmer overhead the conversation and recommended Betsy Durkin whom she had worked with in Cactus Flower. I mentioned this to Palmer years later. She said it was a nice thing to do but she had no memory of doing it. She wondered if it had been Betsy von Furstenberg.

It's like Night of 1,000 Betsys!
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 02, 2020, 04:40:22 PM »