Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 117472 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #450 on: November 02, 2020, 12:00:11 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #307 (1967) - Joe - 'I guess Sam's right, though. It MUST be difficult for her to understand that.'

From "#0307/0308: Robservations 01/09/02: Vicki Puts Her Foot Down"
Joe finds Vicki waiting alone at a table for Burke, and joins her.
[/spoiler]

Yup, that's all that the Robservations says when it comes to the part of the scene that relates to the quote. So, probably needless to say, the quote is another one that I came across by accident while looking for something that turned out not to be there.

Now, what actually happens at the beginning of the scene is first we see that a couple at the Blue Whale has selected Theme From A Man and a Woman from the jukebox. As they walk back to their table we then see Vicki drinking by herself at a table. (I'm almost surprised Bob Rooney even served her without a male companion. After all, this was still the mid-'60's in a small village, not the swinging '60s in a big city. People could have gotten the wrong idea about a women at a table drinking alone. But then I suppose few would ever confuse the virginal Miss Winters as a woman of ill repute.  [ghost_nowink]  Nope. But anyway...) Joe comes in, and seeing Vicki he goes over to her table. Joe asks Vicki if she's alone, but she explains it's just for the moment as Burke should be there any moment. (A likely story - but thank heavens that was explained because, well, otherwise... [wink2]) Joe asks if she minds if he joins her and she tells him to please do so. Joe then notices Vicki's demeanor and comments that she looks about as cheerful as he feels and then asks if they should have a drink and spill their troubles to each other. Vicki thanks him but says she'll stay with the drink she has. After Joe orders beer, Vicki asks why Joe is so depressed. He denies being depressed, just angry because Maggie is unhappy about the way he and Sam have been treating her - she refuses to understand that they're just trying to protect her. And after that is when Joe delivers the quote.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 02, 2020, 03:46:27 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #884 (1897) - Lady Kitty - 'Why did I change my dress? I MUSTN'T! I know I MUSTN'T!'

From "Robservations 4/9/03 - #884-885 - Farewell, 1897; 1796 Redux"
Kitty thinks to herself, I must hurry and get ready, he's on his way. She's put on the white gown she found. "What am I doing?" she asks herself, feeling the material--why did I change my dress, I know I mustn't!  She begins to drift into Josette's portrait, her body growing ethereal, ghostly. She's startled at what's happening. Barnabas enters the room just in time to see his fiancee meld into the portrait  Kitty! he cries, reaching for her hand, and she reaches out for his....
[/spoiler]

Well, almost all of the quote appears in the Robservations...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 03, 2020, 06:02:56 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #2 (1966) - Roger - 'If Elizabeth says so, then it MUST be true.'

From "#0001/0002: Robservations 05/17/01:Vicki Comes to Collinwood"
Roger Collins approaches from behind. "Not planning to jump, are you?? he asks, smiling
--"You wouldn't be the first, you know. She identifies him as Roger Collins, and he admits it--he's brother of Elizabeth, father of David and terribly sorry if I startled you. She tells him she's getting used to surprises. We're quite a strange crew, he says, but I think you'll find most of us rather nice--it's quite different from New York, isn't it?--they both look out over the ocean--I hope you won't be too lonely here. If I am, she says, I'll blame it on you--Mrs. Stoddard said you're the one who arranged for me to come here. Roger looks at her. You don't say, he says. It's true, isn't it? she asks. If Elizabeth says so, he smirks, then it must be true--do you know that on a cloudless day, you can see 20 miles out to sea? Vicki looks where he's pointing. As a boy I used to bring a picnic lunch out here and dream for hours. Maybe I can do the same with your son, suggests Vicki. With David? asks Roger doubtfully. Doesn't he like picnics? asks Vicki. I'm not exactly certain what he does like, says Roger, but if you intend to follow that plan, stay away from the edge. Vicki chuckles--really, Mr. Collins, she says.
[/spoiler]

We're back to the full quote being in the Robservations. And we've also hit a new milestone because Ep #2 is the first to have three quotes taken from it. The first (Liz: 'You MUST have asked the wrong person.') was on April 2nd. And the second (Vicki - 'Forty rooms! You MUST need an awful lot of people to help you take care of it.') was on September 20th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 04, 2020, 03:06:02 PM »
I love the way Roger gives Vicki the side eye -

- to Vicki as he delivers the quote...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 04, 2020, 03:16:46 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #157 (1967) - Frank - 'Well then you MUST have fairly complete burial records of this whole area.'

From "#0156/0157: Robservations 09/10/01: Liz in Serious Trouble"
Would you--I know you're very busy, says Vicki, but would you please do us a favor--these books, they're the records of all the people buried in this cemetery. This cemetery and the one seven miles to the north, he says, the one they dug up when the town got too big to hold the living and the dead--the living, they stayed, the dead they gave to me--their names are here. Then you must have fairly complete burial records of this whole area, says Frank. They're all here, says the caretaker, the dead who were once the living.
[/spoiler]

Another word for word quote in the Robservations...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 04, 2020, 11:24:41 PM »
Unlike the last time that Frank Garner appeared in the slideshow (back on July 2nd) -

- and he was barely seen in the capture, at least this time around he's featured -

- prominently.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 05, 2020, 03:46:07 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #336 (1967) - Dr. Woodard - 'It MUST have been a very extraordinary reason that brought her back after all these years. I think once we've uncovered that reason, Julia, we'll... we'll finally have arrived at the truth in this twisted situation.'

From "#0335/0336: Robservations 01/30/02: Woodard on the Scent"
When Vicki tells her Woodard is in the study looking at Collins family books, Julia becomes concerned and hastens to the study. Woodard is there, poring excitedly over the many volumes. The original Barnabas had a sister named Sarah, he points out, and he, Dave, met Sarah himself at the mausoleum! Ridiculous, she says, looking very fearful at this turn of events, and she suggests he's tired and overwrought. Dr. Fisher thinks David is hallucinating. Woodard reminds her Sam saw Sarah, too, and Julia retorts Sam probably saw Sarah instead of pink elephants, being the drunkard he is. Well, he knows he saw Sarah and he intents to find out why she came back and get to the truth of this situation--he won't rest until he knows.
Julia's lip curls with dismay.
[/spoiler]

Well, in this Robservations the quote is merely paraphrased with detail left out.

What actually happens in the section leading up to the quote and afterward is that after Julia makes her rather condescending remarks about Sam's reliability (though we know she would say anything and impugn anyone to protect Barnabas), Dr. Woodard says that he doesn't care if Julia discredits every bit of evidence he mentions. To that Julia claims she's not trying to discredit him and attempts to appear sympathetic by saying she's worried about him - he needs rest. Though while Dr. Woodard appreciates her concern, it's not necessary - he insists he's not tired, upset or conjuring up ghosts. Dr. Woodard then insists that he saw Sarah as clearly as he sees Julia. He talked to Sarah and she talked to him. Now that he knows she exists, he's going to find out why. Julia questions that and it's then that Dr. Woodard delivers the quote. Julia then remarks that Dr. Woodard appears to really believe that, and after he confirms he does, she asks what he's going to do about it. He doesn't know exactly - but he does know he's not going to rest until he finds out why Sarah Collins has come back to earth. Julia is far from happy to hear that and her lips curl in dismay.

I love how Dr. Woodard refers to the situation as "twisted."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 05, 2020, 11:40:41 PM »
I love the look on Julia's face in the screen capture I chose for the quote. -

- She's fighting so hard to hide her panic at what Dr. Woodard is saying, but some of it certainly slips through...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 06, 2020, 05:30:01 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #368_369 (1795) - Barnabas - 'But I MUST go immediately. Come in. You MUST be wet.'

From "#0367/0368_0369: Robservations 02/22/02: Introducing Angelique"
There's a knock at the door, and since servants seem hard to come by (Curtis didn't want to pay extras at this point), Barnabas opens the door. It's Angelique, the duPres' gorgeous blonde, blue-eyed servant, bringing word that the Countess' carriage is stuck in the mud. She seems REALLY happy to see Barnabas and even though he says, "You must be wet" (I ain't touching that one with a ten-foot pole, folks!) insists on accompanying him back to the carriage, gazing at him with proprietary interest.
[/spoiler]

Obviously the Robservations ignores about two thirds of the quote (not to mention most of what is one of my favorite exchanges of dialogue -

Barnabas - 'Why are you walking?'
Angelique - 'Oh, your roads, Monsieur. Pig stys the Countess calls them. The carriage is in the mud, stuck.'

- from the scene - a shocking omission, IMO, especially because it perfectly sets up the Countess) - but what's also obvious is that Robin was most focused on the reference to Angelique being wet...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 07, 2020, 04:28:07 PM »
I forgot to mention this the other day - and I think that somewhere along the way we may have mentioned this before - but it's a bit odd that on DVD Collection 4, disc 1 the 1795 teaser promo (that on Friday we'll begin a strange and terrifying journey to the past to learn about the secret of the chained coffin) is sandwiched between Eps #336 and #337 when those eps originally ran in October of 1967 and the Friday ep in question, Ep #365, didn't originally air until November 17th. It's not like that promo ran in October - it ran the week of November 13-17. One might think it would have appeared on that same collection's disc 4 because that's the disc that includes Eps #361 through #365. But no. Though I'm sure there had to be some reason they included it so early. And, of course, it's much better to have it early than not at all. Though the promo is also an extra elsewhere on the DVDs, but at this point I've forgotten which one and I'm too lazy to track it down...

Something else that's interesting with regard to Ep #336 is that Alexandra Moltke does the voiceover for the DCP copyright at the end of the credits. I wonder if that was because Ep #336 was taped during the NABET strike and the announcer who normally did it refused to cross the picket lines (like actors like Robert Gerringer and Daniel Keyes refused to do and DC replaced them). Many eps taped during the NABET strike have no copyright voiceover, but Ep #338 also has Alexandra doing it. However, she appears in both Ep #336 and #338 and we all know how DC would have balked at paying her for copyright voiceovers in eps she wasn't in because that's why the show switched from having her do all the opening voiceovers and to having an actor actually in the eps doing them, so that's the very likely reason why Alexandra only does those two eps. Though why the copyright voiceovers in the eps with none weren't done by one of the actors in those eps, just like one of them did the opening voiceovers, is anyone's guess. But so often there's no logic to DC's behavior...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 07, 2020, 06:31:25 PM »
Wonderful photo of Magda today! And Magda brought good luck with today's excellent news!

cheers, GothEEEEK

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 07, 2020, 09:30:11 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #576 (1968) - Liz - 'You MUST open your eyes. You are not dead! Try to open your eyes! Try to move! You MUST show them you aren't dead! You MUST!'

From "Robservations 7/25/02 - Freud, Adam, Liz and Carolyn - #576/577"
Liz dreams. Angelique is laughing, the wind blowing her hair and dress. Angelique tells Liz she needs something to think about--death!--death, your own death--that will occupy you, and when you have thought about it as long as you can, you will think you ARE dead, as will others. You will be lying in a coffin and everyone will think that you are dead! Angelique's laughter goes on and on. We see candles, smoke, a beautiful coffin topped with flowers. Carolyn and Roger, dressed in funereal colors, stand by the coffin. Roger wants to know why the coffin was open, he ordered it closed. Carolyn remarks that Liz, lying in the coffin, looks beautiful. Liz speaks to herself--she isn't dead! She must open her eyes, try to open your eyes, try to move. You must show them you aren't dead-you must. Roger tells Carolyn he's closing the coffin. No, says Liz silently. Liz can neither speak nor move--they're going to bury her alive. Carolyn asks if Roger must close the coffin now, and he says yes. He closes it over Liz. Carolyn sobs, and Liz silently begs them--I'm not dead, I'm not, don't bury me! Roger leads the crying Carolyn away.
Cruelly, Angelique laughs. Liz tells herself she must scream, she isn't dead.
[/spoiler]

Almost the entire quote is represented in the Robservations.

The thing I've always wondered about Liz' dream in this ep is why is Angelique in it and not Cassandra? Cassandra is the case when Liz dreams of being buried alive in Ep #655. Granted, Angelique is not in that ep. But Angelique only appears in the beginning of Ep #576, so I've never seen why Lara Parker couldn't have transformed into Cassandra after her Angelique scenes were taped - even if it was just to wear Cassandra's wig and to be shot from the neck up.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 08, 2020, 03:20:21 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #670 (1969) - Amy - 'I MUST have been dreaming just now. I dreamt that I was with Chris and he was saying goodbye to me.'

From "Robservations 10/1/02 - #670/671 - Carolyn, Liz & the Werewolf"
Amy keeps calling for her brother, asking him not to go away again. Maggie assures her he's coming over soon to see her. Amy comes to fully, and is surprised to hear she fainted. Maggie wants her to spend the rest of the day in bed, but Amy protests this decision. I won't let anything happen to you, Maggie vows--you were dreaming, she adds, about Chris and that he was saying goodbye to you. Maggie tells her that Carolyn went to call Chris. She should be back by now, says David--she had plenty of time to make the call. Perhaps he's already left, speculates Amy. Maggie goes downstairs to see what happened to Carolyn.
[/spoiler]

Who knows why this Robservations says Maggie is the one who says Amy was dreaming that Chris was saying goodbye to her? Quite obviously, given the quote, it's Amy who says all that. Maggie does vow that she won't let anything happen to Amy - but then it's Amy who delivers the quote - and then Maggie explains that Carolyn went to call Chris.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 09, 2020, 04:06:01 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #763 (1897) - Magda - 'You MUST go and get a pentagram. You MUST put it around the little boy. He MUST wear it always-- always-- all the days of his life.'

From "Robservations 1/10/03 - #762-763 -  A Heart-Wrenching Truth"
Magda looks unhappy--you would marry him, knowing his son, if he has one, will suffer the same fate as Quentin.   "You're mad!" says Beth, horrified.  That's the curse, says Magda.  "Then" says Beth, "you have cursed your own kin."  But Jenny had no children, says Magda.  "Remember the dolls, Magda?--dolls I gave her because her own children were taken from her."  You're lying! Magda accuses. I'll take you to them, offers Beth--twins, a boy and a girl, who live 20 minutes away--shall we go now?  I wouldn't believe it if I saw them, says Magda.  You'd have to, says Beth--the little girl looks exactly like Jenny.  How could anyone not know of this? asks Magda.  Edward and Judith are the reason, explains Beth--I will tell you everything, but you must not tell Quentin.  Magda agrees--I must know!  Jenny was aware of Laura trying to steal Quentin from her, begins Beth--when Edward found out, he forced Quentin to leave--Laura left right after--Jenny was never herself from then on--Edward decided to pay her money and get rid of her--she told him something no one else knew--she was pregnant.  Why didn't she come to me? laments Magda.  We'll never know, says Beth--Jenny was quite mad by then, and when the children were born, Edward refused to see them, wanting no reminder of his own brother, none--it was as if his own life was based on the idea Quentin had never existed.
"So, there is a son?" cries Magda.  "God forgive me, Jenny, forgive me!  Can you hear me, my sister, forgive me?"  Grief-stricken, Magda asks to be left alone.  Help them now! begs Beth.  Magda tells her, go to town and get a pentagram, put it around the little boy--he must wear it always, all the days of his life.  "You can't end it!" realizes Beth.  "Oh, a child," sobs Magda, her face collapsing with misery.  "A child!  I did not know. . ."  She asks Beth to leave her alone, sobbing.
[/spoiler]

This Robservations references pretty much the entire quote - and unlike yesterday's, it attributes it to the right character. Though to be fair, assigning dialogue to the wrong character would seem to happen infrequently. Although, we have come across examples where the Robservations doesn't quite make clear which character is speaking...

One thing I've often wondered is if Magda is saying that if Quentin's son had worn a pentagram all of his life (well, if he had not died as a baby) the curse would not have affected him? He would have still been under it, but he wouldn't ever transform into a werewolf. I've never heard as part of werewolf lore that if a cursed individual wore a pentagram, it could prevent a transformation. Though, of course, DS was always free to make up its own rules. But if that was what Magda was saying, imagine how easy it would have been for Chris just to wear a pentagram. However, that would have been so simple a solution and it would have completely ruined all the dramatic tension in his storyline. Plus, maybe for the pentagram to be effective the cursed individual would need to have been wearing the pentagram before the curse took effect, in which case  suddenly starting to wear one wouldn't have helped Chris. Though we'll never know because obviously Chris never learned of the possibility and, thus, never tested it. And actually, I don't think anyone ever told Barnabas that wearing a pentagram might have helped Quentin's son. All Barnabas knew was that the baby was buried with the pentagram...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 10, 2020, 04:18:19 PM »
Wonderful photo of Magda today!

I was very happy with it too. And here it is:

The expression on her face only complicates what I was examining regarding Magda's quote.