Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118321 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #825 on: July 06, 2021, 03:56:26 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #222 (1967) - Barnabas - 'Well, MUST you do the portrait here?'

From "#0222/0223: Robservations 10/26/01: Maggie Is Followed; David, Disappointed"
Sam and Barnabas make a deal that Sam will paint Barnabas' portrait for a thousand dollars, a kingly sum in 1967.
The offer leaves Maggie's and Sam's faces wreathed in smiles; that's probably rent and utilities for six months for them! However, adds Barnabas, Sam must work only during the nights, only at the Old House--and he'd like him to start immediately.
[/spoiler]

This is another in the period where there's little detail in the Robservations. As such, the quote isn't even referenced. So, what actually happens surrounding the quote's circumstances is that after the subject of Barnabas wanting to look at Sam's paintings comes up and Sam tells Barnabas to go right ahead, Barnabas says that he thinks he's already seen enough to know that the quality of Sam's painting is exactly what he's looking for. After Sam asks if he's seen anything that he liked in particular, Barnabas explains that rather than purchase a painting, he'd like to commission one. Once Sam questions that, Barnabas asks if he would be interested is accepting a commission to do a portrait of Barnabas. This prospect excites Maggie, as a huge smile crosses her face, and Sam accepts. After Barnabas says he knows it's not proper to talk about money to an artist, Sam interrupts, saying Barnabas is wondering what he will charge. Barnabas says if he doesn't mind. And Sam explains that depends on how many sittings there are, the amount of time that's involved, framing, which Sam does himself. Barnabas asks if he would consider a thousand dollars to be a fair price? Sam agrees that's a satisfactory fee. So Barnabas asks if he accepts, and Sam says with pleasure. Barnabas then asks when Sam can start? Sam offers almost immediately and suggest Barnabas come in the morning and Sam will begin the drawings. Barnabas turns that idea down (what a surprise  [easter_wink]) and explains they'll have to work in another way. After Sam questions that is when Barnabas asks the quote. To that Sam responds not necessarily. Barnabas wonders if it would be possible to do the painting at his house? Of course, says Sam, tomorrow morning at his house. But Barnabas asks if he'd be pressing Sam if he asked for him to begin tonight? This surprises Sam, but Barnabas explains that he'd like to get it started. Sam says he supposes he could. Barnabas then explains that his days are so busy that he wonders if it would be possible to work only at night? Sam says it's possible but he's used to the North lights because it's essential to lay out his colors. Barnabas flatters that he's sure that an artist as skilled as Sam is can paint in artificial light. He wagers that Sam has painted through thousands of nights. Sam admits that there have been several times when he's painted around the clock. Then Sam is definitely the man for Barnabas, who then asks if Sam will start tonight? Sam replies, why not, sure. Barnabas says that's wonderful and he'll see Sam shortly. After Sam explains he'll have to get his spare easel and paint box together and stretch a canvas, Barnabas says he's looking forward and adds that he's very fortunate to find a man as talented as Sam is in such a small town. (That's our Barn - he loves to pile it on to get his own way and to keep getting his own way!  [easter_cheesy]) Sam thanks him. And after Barnabas and Maggie exchange good nights, Barnabas says he'll see Sam later and leaves.

And one thing that I've often wondered is if that painting in the background (which we'll frequently see in the cottage) -

- is supposed to be a self-portrait of Sam. It certainly resembles him. But, of course, that doesn't mean it is supposed to be him. And if they ever make reference to the painting somewhere along the way, I don't remember it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 07, 2021, 02:18:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #430 (1796) - Abigail - 'Listen to that. It's going to storm. We MUST get home before the storm starts.'

From "#0429/0430: Robservations 04/05/02: Come Back to Me!"
The Countess asks Abigail to leave her alone.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations offers very little detail, once again not even referencing the quote so once again there is a need to explain what actually happens surrounding the quote's circumstances. The scene starts off with Abigail pointing out to Countess du Pres that the others have all gone. The Countess knows. Abigail says they must go, too, the carriage is waiting for them. The Countess protests not yet. But after a clap of thunder is when Abigail delivers the quote. Between sobs the Countess tells Abigail to go, that she wishes to remain there. Abigail begs her to be sensible and says that she can't stay out there in a storm. She also points out that the service is over and there's nothing more the Countess can do for poor Josette. The Countess instructs Abigail to wait in the carriage because she wants to have one last moment alone with Josette. Abigail agrees to wait but cautions not to spend too much time because it will just increase her grief. The Countess says there is an end to grief, it ends in despair and that is what she feels for her poor, lost Josette. Only despair. Abigail wishes she could say something to comfort her but the Countess says there's nothing anyone can say or do and she pleads to be left alone for a moment and she will join her. Abigail agrees and leaves.

And is it just me or was Barnabas rather foolish to stand in the doorway to the mausoleum where anyone could see him?!

Or maybe it was Lela Swift who was foolish because she directed the ep. Or maybe it was actually written into the script, which would have been really foolish!  [easter_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 08, 2021, 01:52:52 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #660 (1969) - Julia - 'Barnabas, if you should disappear, someone MUST know about it.'

From "Robservations 9/24/02 - #660-661 - A Trip Back to the Past"
We see Barnabas' portrait in the foyer, and he's looking at it with a resigned expression. Julia comes down to report she thinks Maggie is relieved the trip is off. Barnabas makes it clear he's leaving, realizing she isn't sympathetic to all of this, he says would be better for her to stay out of it--I'm going to ask Stokes to help me back to the past as he did Peter Bradford. Julia wants to go along; if he disappears, someone must know about it. He agrees to this practical suggestion and tells her to hurry. Vicki has so little time, he frets; if I'm right, she might hang tonight.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote well, though not perfectly...

And Barnabas actually says that "Vicki will hang tonight," with certainty. There's no "might" about it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 10, 2021, 01:38:41 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #694 (1969) - Prof. Stokes - 'We MUST examine every possibility very closely as soon as we make sure Amy Jennings is all right.'

From "Robservations 10/18/02 - #694/695 - Roger Becomes a Believer"
Quentin once again takes over David's mind. By the time the adults arrive downstairs, Quentin is gone and David is racing for the outside doors. Roger pursues his son. Liz asks Stokes why David ran from the house, assuming her nephew must have seen HIM. Roger would insist there's no one there to see, predicts Stokes. Liz wonders why the music has ceased. Our friend has no further need for it, says Stokes--we have to examine all possibilities, but first check to make sure Amy is all right.
[/spoiler]

This quote is a rare instance where the show uses "must" (as in "must examine") but the Robservations uses "have to" (as in "have to examine") - all too often it's the other way around...

On the other hand, Liz does indeed use "must" when speculating why David ran from the house...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 10, 2021, 03:26:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #747 (1897) - Quentin - 'Have you all put her in some new place? You MUST be running out of hiding places for my wife.'

From "Robservations 12/19/02 - #746/747 - Lovers Caught By a Crazed Wife"
Quentin drinks, smiling.  Beth comes in and closes the drawing room doors.  He asks her not to look at him so seriously--I've had enough serious--I want to drink some good wine, listen to soft music and forget.  His good mood evaporates when Beth tells him Jenny's in the house.  Well, sneers Quentin, Judith succeeded where I failed--chalk one up for her, she scores again--"You must be running out of hiding places for my wife," he says sarcastically.  Judith didn't bring her back, she escaped, says Beth.  That's been happening with frightening regularity, quips Quentin.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations skips the first half but references the second half of the quote perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 11, 2021, 01:40:40 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #938 (1796) - Oberon - 'You MUST take our seed with you. Plant it, and nurture it in another time.'

From "Robservations 5/14/03 - #938/939 - A Tale By Fireglow; A Lawman Named Sheriff"
Flashback: Barnabas rises from the altar.  Oberon explains--through you and your ability to transcend time, the Leviathans shall live again
--our race has been threatened by extinction, but it has been written in our book that there shall be a resurgence of our kind--there shall be a new leader, who will marry one of your kind and bring forth a new breed. I don't understand, protests Barnabas--I must go to Josette. No, says Oberon, you shall not see her again until you have served us--you must take our seed with you, plant it, nurture it in another time. I must go to Josette, Barn insists again. You may not! orders Oberon--she shall remain with us until you have served us--do as we command and you will see Josette again, disobey, and not only will Josette die, you shall spend all eternity as a creature of the darkness!--you see, we know all about your terrible secret, everything about you, says Oberon, who refuses to tell Barnabas where they are holding Josette.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote nearly perfectly...

Ah, the infamous Ep #938, which caused more harm with the audience than it alleviated...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 11, 2021, 06:02:01 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #991 (1970PT) - Alexis - 'Daniel, you MUST accept the fact that I am a different person. Perhaps I can be some of the things that she was to you.'

From "#0990/0991: Robservations 06/20/03: Seance Redux; Cyrus Investigates Yaeger"
Daniel opens the window in his room, looking out at the storm. Alexis enters. She leans in close to him and asks, did you love your mother very much? Yes, he says, and we fought, too, it wasn't all mushy--but you know that. I know so little about you, she says. Don't say that! begs Daniel. You must accept the fact that I am a different person, says Alexis, perhaps I can be some of the things she was to you. I wish you'd just let me think, he says. Call me Alexis and then I'll go, she says. He makes a face and says again, please let me think. She leaves his room, clearly worried.
[/spoiler]

Again, a Robservations references the quote nearly perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 12, 2021, 02:36:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #1096 (1970) - David - 'You MUSTN'T be frightened, Hallie. You MUSTN'T be.'

From "#1095/1096: Robservations 09/08/03: Chilling Farewells"
Gerard and Daphne lead the children into the same room David and Hallie saw in their dreams. I know, says David. Everything is exactly the same except for the dolls that were sitting at the table, says Hallie.  The dolls aren't here, says David, because we don't need them anymore. What do you mean? she asks--what's going to happen to us?--David, answer me!  Daphne steps forward, puts an arm around each of the children and seats them in the chairs at the table. Gerard watches approvingly, standing by the door. What's going to happen to us? asks Hallie fearfully. Daphne stands by Gerard. It's too late, replies David woodenly, it's too late, Hallie. Why is it too late? she demands.  Gerard, sneering, goes over to David, grabs his hand and holds it. He locks eyes with the boy, then does the same to Hallie.  The children now resemble dolls more than they do living human beings. Gerard and Daphne leave the room. David and Hallie, mesmerized, gaze at each other blankly. David, I'm so frightened, she says. You mustn't be frightened, urges David, you mustn't be.
[/spoiler]

Except for not addressing Hallie by name, the Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And considering this quote and the one from this past June 12th -

1970: Ep #1081 (1970) - Hallie - 'I MUSTN'T be afraid,
I MUSTN'T!'

- the show definitely wanted to stress that Hallie shouldn't ever be scared.  [easter_wink]  [easter_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 13, 2021, 03:22:03 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #1186 (1840) - Daphne  - 'Barnabas, there MUST be a chance for an appeal!'

From "#1185/1186: Robservations 11/26/03: Deliberations Begin"
I tried to convince them the trial was deliberately planned by someone out to destroy you, but it did no good.  Did you tell them Gerard was behind the whole thing? asks Quentin.  (He finally gets it!)  Gerard? repeats Daphne.  Yes, says Quentin, does that surprise you?--think about it for a while--in material gains, he has the most to gain if I'm out of the way.  No, Gerard said he was for you, I always thought he was, says Daphne.  That may have been his most brilliant tactic, explains Barnabas--if Quentin were found guilty, then Gerard stood to win and keep everything--but if Quentin were found innocent, he would still win, because he remained Quentin's friend and stood by him.  Daphne paces, taking all this in.  He has both sides to play, says Quentin, but believe me, he intends to see this through to the end--but he can't claim a complete victory until they've taken my head!  Don't talk that way! begs Daphne, you're not going to die--Barnabas, there must be a chance for an appeal!  I urged them to consider this, but I had no success, says Barnabas sadly--unless we find some other solution, I'm afraid, Quentin, that it's all over.  Quentin looks as if it already is.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Catherine - 'He belongs to the past, and I MUST live my life by what is to be-- not by what has been') was back on April 1st.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 14, 2021, 02:26:07 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #1196 (1841PT) - Melanie - 'Don't say that, Papa. Don't. You'll...you'll upset yourself, and you MUSTN'T.'

From "#1195/1196: Robservations 12/05/03: Angelique, Powerless?; Executioner's Ax"
Barnabas opens the PT room doors and hears Melanie laughing, as she tells Justin, her father, I can tell you feel better.  The house is very still, he says, sounding like a stroke victim.  The boys have gone into Collinsport, says Melanie, kneeling at his feet, everything is all right, Papa--I would tell you if it weren't.  You comfort me, he says haltingly.  You mustn't say that, she says-- Morgan and Gabriel wouldn't like it--they are your real sons, and I...  You are my daughter, he assures her.  I wonder whose daughter I truly am, she says, and what I would have been like if I'd grown up with them--if you had not adopted me.  Justin says, if you had not...this house...  She rests her head in his lap--whatever has happened, she says, it's been worth it, being here with you.  You saved my life, he says.  Don't say that, she pleads, rising to her feet, don't--you'll upset yourself, and you mustn't.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote well...

It's interesting that in this scene Justin insists that Melanie is his daughter, which she turns out to be, though, of course, neither Melanie nor the audience truly grasp what he's saying, especially considering that Melanie wonders whose daughter she really is because all she knows is that she's supposedly only an adoptee...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: July 16, 2021, 02:20:05 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #42 (1966) - Carolyn - 'Well then, your honor, I MUST state that the prisoner did none of those things. I alone am to blame. I confess and throw myself on the mercy of the court.'

From "#0041/0042: Robservations 06/15/01: Sam's Torment"
Burke asks Carolyn, "Will the witness answer as directed--where did you have lunch on the after noon in question, and with whom?" Right here, she laughs, with you. Is that what you're going to answer when questioned by your mother? asks Burke--your uncle, Joe Haskell and even Victoria Winters? She nods and says she'll tell the truth--unless he doesn't want her to. Always tell the truth, advises Burke, it's much better in the long run--now, to continue--how was this lunch date arranged?--did the prisoner insist?--did he drag you there against your will?--you'll note of course that I am the prisoner. Oh, she says, well, then, your honor, I must say the prisoner did none of those things--I alone am to blame--I confess and throw myself on the mercy of the court! The court recognizes the sterling qualities of the witness and as a reward, presents her with this sterling silver pen--and he hands her the pen he used to write down their order for the waiter.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And I love the way Nancy Barrett plays up things by placing her hand over her heart when she throws herself -

- on the mercy of the court. The whole section is a somewhat odd bit, written by Francis Swann as part of his second script. But it's more than forgivable for what it helps to set up:

And I wonder just how many of you realized when you saw the quote that it leads up to ONE OF THE TRULY MONUMENTAL MOMENTS on DS: the first formal appearance of THE PEN!!!!

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (James Blair - 'You MUST have noticed that the only property that has a mortgage is the big house itself, Collinwood') was back on April 26th. (A line that I really believe was delivered incorrectly because as I said at the time I wrote about it:
The Robservations references the quote perfectly. But as is quite clear once the excerpt above is read, the quote makes no sense within the scene because everything about the rest of the scene treats things as if Collinwood doesn't have a mortgage. Was the line accidentally delivered wrong but no one bothered to try to correct it? Who knows? It just comes off as weird...
)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: July 16, 2021, 02:41:08 PM »
Why oh why didn't the manufacturer of the pen not pursue a licensing arrangement for it? The phrase "as seen on Dark Shadows" would have set sales records!!

And even a run of the mill Bic pen would have been superior to a lot of the stuff that did get merchandised.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: July 17, 2021, 03:10:06 PM »
Why oh why didn't the manufacturer of the pen not pursue a licensing arrangement for it?

Why oh why, indeed!!

And even a run of the mill Bic pen would have been superior to a lot of the stuff that did get merchandised.

Too true!

If MPI had been smart, instead of the "normal" pens they sold with the DS name of them, MPI should have done a facsimile of the filigree pen, even if it simply just looked like that pen but was really a ballpoint rather than a fountain when you removed the cap. But no...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 17, 2021, 04:00:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #296 (1967) - Julia - 'I know what I'm doing and you MUST trust me. And no harm MUST come to Maggie Evans.'

From "#0295/0296: Robservations 12/21/01: Julia Protects Her Vampire!"
She'll do anything to make this experiment happen, short of taking a life, and Maggie, memory gone, can't hurt him. Julia coolly pushes a cigarette in a holder, then lights it in Barnabas' candelabra.
[/spoiler]

This ep falls into the period where the Robservations aren't all that detailed and the quote isn't really referenced. But there are several "must" lines during just this small section so I'm not going to go into detail explaining the circumstances surrounding the quote as I normally would. Plus, the quote pretty much speaks for itself...

One of the big things about this particular section of the scene is how Julia uses the drawing room candelabra to light her cigarette:

In particular, Julia fans LOVE it!

And that brings us to yet another thing MPI missed out on: the Julia cigarette holder. She never used one in any other scene - but that doesn't matter because this scene alone would have justified its production. Just judging by past posts on the forum, Julia fans would have fallen all over themselves to buy one, even if they didn't smoke!

And this is the second quote (so far) from this ep. The first (Barnabas - 'Tomorrow night, you MUST die') was back on June 28th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 18, 2021, 01:42:20 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #430 (1796) - Josette - 'You forced me to come back. Brought me here against my will. But I MUST return to my grave.'

From "#0429/0430: Robservations 04/05/02: Come Back to Me!"
The white slippers ascend the Old House stairs. Barnabas notes how deadly silent the room is--the clock stopped! The door blows open and Josette, her face covered in a bridal veil, enters. He's pathetically happy to see her, but she doesn't feel the same. He forced her to come, and demands he keep his distance. She assures him she doesn't hate him, she's beyond all that. She feels nothing.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations barely references the quote...

And this is the second quote (so far) from this ep. The first (Abigail - 'Listen to that. It's going to storm. We MUST get home before the storm starts') was back on July 4th.