Author Topic: #1185/1186: Robservations 11/26/03: Deliberations Begin  (Read 1546 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1185/1186: Robservations 11/26/03: Deliberations Begin
« on: November 25, 2003, 11:28:36 AM »
1185 - Quentin, morose, sits in his cell.

Carrie rises from Mordecai's body, crying out "No!", sobbing.  Jeremy comes in--what are you doing here? he asks, warning, my father...  She takes his hands n hers--your father is dead, she says.  Jeremy stares at her, stunned.  I came here to talk to him, she says, hoping to explain about the two of us--I found him over there, she points.  Jeremy runs to check his father, kneeling beside the body.

Father! calls Jeremy, beginning to cry--he's dead, he says, backing away from his father's body, he's dead.  I'm so sorry, says Carrie.  How did it happen? asks Jeremy--he was never sick one day in his life.  When I first came in, she says, he had just fallen--the way he was moaning...  You mean he was alive when you came in? asks Jeremy--did he say anything before he died?  Carrie gazes at him, terrified, sick, and walks away.  Did he say anything to you? demands Jeremy.  Yes, he did! wails Carrie, inconsolable.

9:05 - Courtroom - The police have been at the Grimes residence for several hours now, Gerard gleefully informs Dawson --soon you shall be getting the coroner's report.
An important witness for the prosecution murdered to keep him from telling what he knows, exults Dawson.  And will this finally finish off Quentin? inquires Gerard.  I don't see how we can lose, replies Dawson--by the way, who discovered the body?  Carrie Stokes, says a grinning Gerard--I was saving that as a bonus for you, Charles.  I like that very much, agrees Dawson.  I wish I could say I had planned how it turned out, says Gerard.  It's no bother, says Dawson, I'll have the subpoena prepared at once--you know, it's curious, just the other day I was talking to Mordecai, telling him how useless his appearance in court would be--and now, in death, it would appear he's going to win the case for us.

Barnabas arrives at the jail with bad news for Quentin--Mordecai Grimes is dead.  How did it happen? asks Quentin.  No one knows, says Barn, the coroner hasn't completed his report yet--the body was discovered late last night by Carrie Stokes.  How is this going to affect my trial? demands Quentin.  As far as anyone knew, Mordecai Grimes was in perfect health, says Barnabas--suddenly on the eve of his appearance in court, he dies--this is going to be a field day for Dawson.  Grimes was his last witness, says Quentin--who else was he going to call to the stand?  I have no idea, says Barnabas, but I know one thing for certain--he'll do his best to attribute this death to witchcraft.  Grimes could have died of a heart attack, points out Quentin, perhaps the coroner's report will even show that.  Or it may say the cause of death is unknown, says Barnabas somberly, that's all Dawson needs.  Even if that happens, says Quentin, I don't see how he can prove it.  Neither do I, says Barn, we both know how Dawson cherishes the element of surprise.  We've overcome all his other surprises, says Quentin, we'll do the same with this one.  Let's hope so, says Barnabas, all we can do it wait--the next move is his.

Judge Vail bangs his gavel, calling the court to order--Mr. Dawson, resume the case for the prosecution.  I believe the court has been informed that Mordecai Grimes, whom I had intended to call for a witness this morning, suffered an untimely death last night, says Dawson.  Are you prepared to rest your case? inquires Vail.  I most certainly am not, says Dawson--quite the contrary, I in fact intend to call two entirely new witnesses, because I think I can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Mordecai Grimes met his end at the hands of sorcery, and the murderer sits in this courtroom--he points to Quentin.  Barnabas stands--objection!--this court is not a forum for Mr. Dawson's opinions.  I agree completely, says Judge Vail, we will get on with the case, Mr. Dawson--are you prepared to call your first witness?  I am, says Dawson, who turns to the door and calls, Carrie Stokes to the stand.  She enters, staring fearfully, sadly, at Quentin and Barnabas.  Dawson leads her to the stand, where she is sworn in.  Were you acquainted with Mordecai Grimes? asks Dawson.  Yes, she says, gulping.  Tell the court where and when you last saw Mordecai Grimes.  Last night, replies Carrie, at his house.  What did you see at the Grimes house last night?  At first I didn't see anything, says Carrie, I called for Mr. Grimes, but he didn't answer--I heard a moaning sound and looked around and found Mr. Grimes on the floor.  Did you realize at that time that he was dying?  No, she says, at first I thought he had a bad fall, but then...then I saw the look in his eyes, and I knew--I never saw anything like that before--something had changed in his eyes, his pupils were like half-moons, like a frightened animal.  And it was at this point that you realized he was dying?  Yes, says Carrie.  How much time passed before Mordecai died?  Not more than a minute, she says.  And during that time, did he say anything to you?  Carrie looks horrified.  Well, did he or didn't he?  Carrie gazes at Barnabas and Quentin.  Will the court direct the witness to answer the question, orders Dawson.  You are obliged to answer the counsel's question, says Judge Vail.  She looks as if she's going to cry, and finally says, "Yes, he did speak to me before he died."  Will you tell the court the dying words of Mordecai Grimes?" asks Dawson.  Carrie hesitates, looking at all the men, then cries, "No, I can't, I can't!"  You've taken an oath to tell the whole truth, Dawson reminds her--do you remember that?  Yes, she wails.  Then you must tell us what Mordecai Grimes said just before he died, insists Dawson.
He said, says Carrie, he said, "Quentin Collins!"  Quentin stares at Carrie in disbelief.

Quentin didn't kill him, I know that! wails Carrie, shaking her head.  Miss Stokes! warns Dawson.  Quentin isn't guilty of anything! Carrie says, he wouldn't hurt anyone--you must believe that.  As Quentin gazes fondly at Carrie, Dawson orders her remarks stricken from the record.  The judge agrees.  Dawson turns to Carrie--no further questions, he says.  The defense has no questions, says Barn.  The judge dismisses the sobbing Carrie, who grabs Quentin's hands for reassurance, then leaves the courtroom.  Dawson brings the autopsy report over to the judges, prepared by the county coroner, establishing the fact that Grimes was in excellent health--there were no visible marks on the body, and the cause of death is officially stated as unknown.  Barnabas and Quentin look pensive.  The prosecution submits, says Dawson, that a mysterious death like this can be caused by only one thing--an act of sorcery!  Barnabas bangs his hand on the table--objection!--this is pure conjecture on Mr. Dawson's part!  The judge sustains--Mr. Dawson, get on with his case, orders Vail.  Jeremy Grimes to the stand, calls Dawson.  The young man enters the room and is sworn in.  Dawson holds up a letter--do you recognize it?  Yes, I do, says Jeremy--it contains a note my father wrote last night before he died.  And to whom did he write the note?  To you, sir, says Jeremy--and after he sealed the envelope, he asked me to deliver it to you at your home (did they have envelopes back then)?  And did you do that?  Yes, sir, I did, replies Jeremy.  I'll read this most urgent message sent to me by the deceased before he died, volunteers Dawson:  "Dear Mr. Dawson, it is imperative that I see you at once, for I have uncovered new evidence of a most serious nature, evidence which I am convinced will prove, beyond all doubt, the guilt of Quentin Collins--I feel we must discuss this matter before resumption of the trial tomorrow, please come as soon as possible--Mordecai Grimes."  Dawson holds up the note--is this your father's handwriting? he asks. Yes, it is, says Jeremy.  When your father handed it to you, did he seem to be in good health to you?  Yes, says Jeremy, he was.  Was there ever a time within your memory when your father was physically unfit?  Never, says Jeremy. Your witness, Dawson tells Barnabas.  When your father gave you that letter last night, says Barnabas, was it sealed?  Yes, it was, says Jeremy.  So you never knew the contents of that letter?  No I didn't, says Jeremy.   Did your father tell you the contents of that letter?  No, says Jeremy.  So, the only two people who had any knowledge of that letter at all were your father and Mr. Dawson
--now one of those men is dead.  Dawson rises--I resents these implications, he insists.  I only want the court to take note of how conveniently this trial has been altered in the past 24 hours, says Barnabas.  And I, says Dawson, would like the court to take note of the fact that counsel is out of order.  Judge Vail bangs the gavel and agrees that Barnabas' last remark will be stricken from the record--go on, urges the judge.  No further questions, says Barnabas.  Step down, the judge orders Jeremy--Mr. Dawson, call your next witness.  Dawson rises--the case for the prosecution rests, he announces.  You may present the case for the defense, Mr. Collins, says Judge Vail.  There is only one man here, says Barnabas, who can tell the complete truth as to the matter of guilt or innocence, and I refer to the defendant himself--will Quentin Collins come to the stand?  Quentin rises.

4:35 - Barnabas:  You say you argued with Mordecai Grimes.  Yes, says Quentin, but everyone did--Mordecai was one who loved to disagree.  And when he refused to sell you his land, did you threaten him?  No, I did not, replies Quentin.  Did you have anything to do with Mordecai Grimes' death?  Absolutely not, says Quentin.  One last question--the prosecution has made much ado about your interest in the occult--has this interest ever motivated you to practicing what is known as the black arts?  I have never practiced witchcraft in my life, says Quentin--I wouldn't even know how.  Thank you, says Barnabas--your witness.  Dawson: Mr. Collins, it has already been established that Desmond Collins returned to this country with the legendary head of the warlock, Judah Zachary--isn't it true that he searched all over the world for that head and brought it here at your request?  It was a request, says Quentin, that I casually...  Just answer yes or no, Mr. Collins, did you ask him for it or didn't you?  Yes, I did, says Quentin.  Tell the court why you wanted that head.  No specific purpose, responds Quentin, it was merely curiosity.  Merely curiosity--you hadn't heard that the head was said to have certain powers?  Yes, I had heard that, admits Quentin.  But you weren't interested in those powers at all, were you--you were motivated simply out of curiosity?  That is all, states Quentin.  Dawson paces behind him--"Come ON, Mr. Collins, isn't it true you longed to have such powers?"  NO, I did not! insists Quentin.  Well I submit that you did! says Dawson, I say that Desmond Collins brought that head to you, and you used the powers of the warlock Judah Zachary as a convenient way of disposing of your enemies--I say those powers were used as an instrument of murder, they were responsible for the death of Lorna Bell and Randall Drew, they also struck down the jailer's wife and Mordecai Grimes and you cannot deny it!  I do deny it! shouts Quentin--furthermore, I'm sick and tired of your lies and insinuations!  Barnabas rises--"Quentin!" he cautions.  Quentin Collins is out of order, says Dawson. "The only person who's out of order here is you!" yells Quentin--"You're not a lawyer, you're an executioner, and it will take more than your vicious lies to strike me down
--and when I get through with this, I'll deal with you!"  Dawson grins at Quentin's untimely loss of temper.  The judge bangs his gavel--Mr. Collins, you're out of order--one more outburst like that and you'll be held in contempt!  Barnabas stares down, miserable.  Go on, Mr. Dawson, says the judge.  "I believe the defendant himself has given a more adequate demonstration of what I was trying to prove," says Dawson--"I have no further questions."  The witness may step down, says Judge Vail angrily.  Quentin returns to his seat next to Barnabas.  Does the defense wish to call another witness? asks Vail.  The defense rests, says Barnabas.  Very well, says the judge, I assume that both counsels are prepared to give their closing remarks--Mr. Dawson?  Thank you, your Honor--the defendant is here charged with the practice of witchcraft--not opinion, but facts support the prosecution's contention that he is guilty as charged--Quentin Collins was the last person to be seen with Lorna Bell before she was murdered.  He was discovered standing over the dead body of Randall Drew--both victims bore the brand of the devil's mark--the same symbol found on Quentin Collins' own ring--it has been established that Quentin Collins actually believed he had some power over time itself, by the construction of a strange staircase capable of leading one into the past or the future.  It is an incontrovertible fact that he possessed a mysterious pagan head--the prosecution contends he has used the head of Judah Zachary for his own evil purposes--in fact, we are dealing here with the living embodiment of the warlock, Judah Zachary, a man who swore eternal revenge against all of his enemies just as Quentin Collins swore revenge against me in this courtroom a moment ago.  Finally, I submit that he is guilty of the murder of Mordecai Grimes, who had found evidence that he intended to use against the defendant--using the considerable powers at his command, he STRUCK that man down as one would strike down a helpless animal!  I ask the court to find the defendant guilty as charged!"  The judge calls Barnabas up to bat.  "Your honor," begins Barnabas, "what Mr. Dawson claims as fact has either been hearsay or the crudest sort of circumstantial evidence--not one of his witnesses is truly a witness in the strict sense of the word--yes, the defendant was the last person seen with the dead body of Lorna Bell (?), yes, he was discovered over the body of Randall Drew; yes, he did argue and fight with Mordecai Grimes, but this man did not kill any one of them, and no one alive can say with any conviction that he did!  Now, that is the only incontrovertible fact in this case, and on the basis of that fact alone, the defense fails to see how the tribunal can return with anything but a verdict of not guilty."  Thank you, Mr. Collins, Judge Vail tells Barnabas--the tribunal is ready to begin its deliberations--court is recessed until such time as this tribunal is ready to render its verdict.

Jeremy sits alone in his home.  Carrie enters and kneels before him--the judges have gone in to make their decision, she reports.  I don't see what there is to decide, he says flatly--Quentin Collins is guilty.  How can you say that? cries Carrie.  Because he killed my father, insists Jeremy.  You don't really believe that, do you? she asks.  My father said so himself, just before he died, Jeremy reminds her--that's what you told the court--and me.
Your father was wrong in what he said, says Carrie--how could he harm your father from the jail cell?  He could if he is what they say he is--a warlock, says Jeremy--and I believe he is.  I've never heard you talk like this before! says Carrie, you sound just like...  Just like what? he asks.  Like your father, she says.  Maybe I should have started listening to him a long time ago, says Jeremy--if I had, then maybe he'd be alive now.  You can't blame yourself, protests Carrie.  I'm not, he retorts, I'm blaming Quentin Collins, and I hope they execute him.  I can't believe you mean that, she says, rising to her feet--I don't want to believe it!  She leaves the house--and Jeremy.

The judge bangs his gavel, bringing the court to order--the tribunal has deliberated and arrived at a verdict--the defendant will stand and hear the verdict of the court.  His face defiant, Quentin rises to his feet.

NOTES:  What will the judges decide here?  Barnabas is right, it's all circumstantial, but there's so much of it--and too many dead bodies to account for!

I guess we can safely say the relationship between Jeremy and Carrie has been nipped in the bud.  I don't think we ever see him again.  This little Romeo and Juliet interlude is over.

HAA did a great job with Dawson's summation, and he really seemed to enjoy himself.  He was flamboyant, while Barnabas was more quiet.  Both did a terrific job.

Too bad Quentin had that unfortunate outburst in the courtroom; he's just too volatile to keep calm when everything is falling down around him--and his temper flared at the worst possible time, complete with threats against Dawson.

1186 - Jonathan Frid does a rare, resonant intro.  Oh, THAT VOICE!

Quentin stands, awaiting the judges' decision.  "Quentin Collins," says Judge Vail, "it is the judgment of this court that you are guilty as charged, and you will be punished in the manner prescribed by the law which convened this tribunal--on a date which shall be decided by the tribunal, you shall be taken to the public square, and there, before the eyes of your fellow citizens, you shall be beheaded--and may God have mercy on your soul!"   Barnabas looks totally bamboozled, while Quentin's face seems to crumple.

Barnabas rises--this decision will be appealed! he insists.  There are rules for this under the law governing trials of witchcraft, says Judge Vail, and no provision for appeal.  With all due respect, says Barnabas, the right of appeal is basic to the judicial system.
The court can do nothing to stop your trying, says Judge Vail--do you have anything else to say?  No, says Barnabas, sounding as if he desperately wishes he had--nothing more, your Honor.  Very well, says Vail, case is closed, court is adjourned.  Quentin grabs the railing in front of him in both hands, looking as if he might snap it.

Jail - Daphne, disbelieving, says, Quentin, I still can't believe it really happened.  It did, he says--Barnabas has gone to see the judge again--"But I think it's a waste of time."  Don't talk like that, pleads Daphne, as long as you're alive, there's hope.  As long as I'm alive, says Quentin, I've got to be realistic now, start talking about what's going to happen when I die.  Maybe you can talk that way, she says, convinced you're going to die, but I can't--now if there was only some way we could get you out of here.  Yes, if, he says, but there isn't, so there's no point in discussing it--you listen to me--the most important thing for you to do is forget about me.  No, she protests, there will be a way--you know I love you.  They're holding each other through the bars when Barnabas enters--I've just come from the judge, he reports.  Is there a chance? asks Daphne anxiously.  They won't listen to reason, says Barnabas, defeated, I'm afraid that Grimes' death and the letter he wrote to Dawson turned the tide--I tried to convince them the trial was deliberately planned by someone out to destroy you, but it did no good.  Did you tell them Gerard was behind the whole thing? asks Quentin.  (He finally gets it!)  Gerard? repeats Daphne.  Yes, says Quentin, does that surprise you?--think about it for a while--in material gains, he has the most to gain if I'm out of the way.  No, Gerard said he was for you, I always thought he was, says Daphne.  That may have been his most brilliant tactic, explains Barnabas--if Quentin were found guilty, then Gerard stood to win and keep everything--but if Quentin were found innocent, he would still win, because he remained Quentin's friend and stood by him.  Daphne paces, taking all this in.  He has both sides to play, says Quentin, but believe me, he intends to see this through to the end--but he can't claim a complete victory until they've taken my head!  Don't talk that way! begs Daphne, you're not going to die--Barnabas, there must be a chance for an appeal!  I urged them to consider this, but I had no success, says Barnabas sadly--unless we find some other solution, I'm afraid, Quentin, that it's all over.  Quentin looks as if it already is.

Gerard returns to Collinwood, smiling hugely, very pleased with himself.  He puts on a sorry face when he enters the drawing room and sees Gabriel, who asks, why aren't you smiling?--you finally won  On the contrary, says Gerard, sitting on the sofa, putting tears into his voice, I've lost a friend, the best friend I've ever had.  Isn't that touching? sneers Gerard--isn't it time you stopped this cheap little charade of yours?--you've secured the family fortune, that's what you wanted--why don't you just admit it like a man?  I haven't changed roles here at all, insists Gerard--I'm still trustee until Tad reaches the age of 21.  But he'll never reach that age, will he? asks Gabriel, you'll see to that, won't you, old boy?  Gerard stands and walks threateningly toward Gabriel--"Now you listen to me," he says--"I've cut you off once with your allowance, I can do it again if you keep talking as you have been."  My, my, mocks Gabriel, the lord of the manor is angry.  Yes, says Gerard, the lord may giveth and the lord may taketh away--bear that in mind.  Edith enters--Gerard, she says in a lilting voice, I just heard the news about Quentin.  Don't be so happy, my dear wife, says Gabriel, wheeling himself out--we may regret Quentin's departure yet!  Edith closes the double doors, and, grinning, asks Gerard, did you see the on Gabriel's face?  Yes, says Gerard, I'm afraid he doesn't like it at all.  Isn't that too bad? she asks, giving him a long, hungry kiss. "I want to see you tonight," she says intensely.  Tonight? he asks uncertainly.  Yes, she says, let's say about 11--the same place?--you can make it, can't you?  Yes of course, he says.  Good, she says leaning her head against his face, now that I've done my part, I hope you haven't forgotten that you said I have something coming to me when it was all over.
Gabriel, his ear to the door, listens to this exchange. Not at all, my dear, promises Gerard--you will get what you deserve--don't worry about that--you will get yours.  (!)

4:20 - Edith, joyous, sits by the fire.  Gabriel wheels in--are you thinking about tonight? he taunts.  What does that mean? she asks.  I thought maybe you and your friend would plan a party celebrating Quentin's forthcoming execution, he says.  I don't know what you're talking about, she retorts.  I happen to know you're going to meet Gerard tonight, he says.  Oh, don't be ridiculous! she says.  Edith, I always knew you never had any class at all, he says, but I never thought you'd allow a fraud such as Gerard to get such a curious hold over you.  Gerard has no hold over me, insists Edith, but if he did have, it would be because he, unlike you, is a man who gets what he goes after--"I'm through with you, Gabriel, I'm going to start living before it's too late."  I doubt that, Edith, says Gabriel, I really do.  And who's going to stop me? she asks.
I'm going to stop you, he says.  How? she asks, incredulous--you're a hopeless cripple--well, I am going to meet Gerard this evening, and there is nothing you can do to stop me--so why don't you just wheel yourself up to your bedroom, have your cup of steaming cocoa, get into bed and cuddle up with your hot water bottle?"  Laughing at him, she goes upstairs.

Barnabas and Daphne return home.  I still can't believe it, she says, he's innocent, we KNOW he's innocent!  The powers that be won't believe it, says Barnabas.  We can't just sit by and watch him die! insists Daphne.  I have no intentions of doing that, he assures her.  What are you going to do? she asks.  I don't know, he says, at least we have a week to think about it--you look tired--you should go upstairs and get some rest.  I don't think I'll be able to sleep--perhaps I'll try, she says--good night, Barnabas.  She heads upstairs.  On her way up, she thinks to herself, Barnabas says he will do something--but can anyone do anything anymore?--maybe there isn't hope--why did it all happen?--this house--why does it affect people's lives so?--it does something to everyone who comes into it!--oh, I wish I'd never come here!  Beginning to cry, she hears Quentin's theme playing somewhere.  Checking the upstairs bedroom, she realizes it's coming from the East Wing, which isn't possible--that part of the house has been closed for years.  She goes in.

Nearly 11 PM - Edith exits the kitchen, book in hand, and enters the drawing room.  She closes the double doors and hears something banging outside in the storm.  Nervous, she closes the noisy window, but hears another sound, followed by footsteps.  Who's out there? she calls.  No reply.  Who just came in?  She listens against the double doors, then opens them, but no one is there.  I know someone is out here, she says--who is it?  The front door blows open, terrifying her; she closes it.  Please answer me! she begs--who came in this house?  The lights flicker off.  Gerard, is it you? she asks--have you come back?--please answer me, Gerard!  She runs upstairs and bangs on Gabriel's door--someone is in the house! she wails, but receives no response.  Gerard, she says, tell me it's you, oh, I'm so frightened!  She enters a bedroom and finds Gabriel's wheelchair--without Gabriel in it.  She swivels around and finds herself facing her husband, standing on two feet.  Your lover isn't here to protect you now, is he, Edith? asks Gabriel--no, it's just you and me, alone in this house.  You can walk! she cries.
I've been able to walk for years, he says, shutting the door. You've been lying all these years, no one ever knew! she says.  Someone knew, says Gabriel, two people--Randall, Father...  Randall...your father, repeats Edith--you killed them!  That's right, Edith, says Gabriel, wrapping his strong hands around his wife's throat--and you're never going to live to tell about it.  No, Gabriel, stay away from me, no! she shrieks.  Gabriel babbles incoherently about "taking something from you," about being a man and getting what I want tonight--and I want you DEAD!!  He throttles her to death (although she blinks a few times and rocks her head).  How do I dispose of the body? wonders Gabriel--I know a place that you loved--somewhere in the hallowed halls of Collinwood--I'm going to find a spot to bury you!

Daphne follows the sound of Quentin's song to the East Wing, but doesn't understand how.  She pushes open the doors, finding only an empty room.  She enters.  I don't understand it, she says, looking around, I'm sure the music came from this room!--she backs out, closing the doors again.  Hearing someone knocking, she re-opens the doors, but this time, it's filled with light and furniture.  What's happening to me? wonders Daphne--I'm dreaming, I must be dreaming.  She finds herself unable to enter, stopped by the same barrier that usually prevents people from entering parallel time.  She sees a man with dark hair enter--"Come in," he calls.  A blonde woman who looks just like Valerie enters the room.  "Valerie!" calls out Daphne.  Well, you look like a man with a most intriguing secret, the blonde says to the dark-haired man.  One of the things I love about you, Catherine, he says, is that you know me so well--I can't say that about my own family.  Daphne listens, perplexed.  Isn't it the burden of the arts to be misunderstood? asks Catherine.  For most of us, he replies, but I've never been troubled by it.  I know, that's what I admire about you, says Catherine, your reluctance to abide by social convention.  Such as? he asks.  The fact that we're alone in this room, unchaperoned, points out Catherine--your mother would take a dim view of that.  I've always made my own rules, the man says, and as long as they don't hurt anyone, I believe that's the way you should live--you do, too, that's why you're here.  Yes, says Catherine, that's true--so why don't you tell me what your secret is--why did you ask me here tonight?  I suspect you've already guessed, he says.  But you didn't ask me here to guess, says Catherine, I want to hear it from you.  Will you, Catherine Harridge, take me, Morgan Collins, to be your lawfully wedded husband? he asks.  Daphne is startled to hear her own last name.  Catherine's eyes widen as she turns to him--"Oh, Morgan."  My proposal shouldn't be that much of a surprise to you, he says, surely you know how much I've loved you.  Yes, I do know that, she says, and I promise you you'll have my answer very soon--I mean a woman shouldn't make up her mind about a proposal of marriage on the spur of the moment--even if she does know in her own heart what she wants.  I can give you everything you've always wanted, promises Morgan--you know you belong here at Collinwood.  You don't have to convince me, she assures him, there's no one that I love more than I love you--I just need a little time to think, that's all.  You shall have it, he says, kissing her mouth--I love you--if you should make up your mind before you leave this evening, you'll find me in my studio.  He caresses her chin with his fingers and leaves the room.  Catherine sighs, smiles, looks dreamy-eyed.  There's a knock at the door.  Who is it? asks Catherine.  It's me, responds a girl's voice.
Daphne gasps as she sees her double join Catherine.  I thought you were going to wait downstairs, says Catherine.  I cannot tell a lie, confesses Daphne--I followed you up here and waited in the corridor.  And listened? demands Catherine.  Daphne nods.  That's unforgivable, teases Catherine.  I know, says Daphne, but you'll forgive me because you would have done the same thing yourself.  If I couldn't control my curiosity, perhaps I would have, admits Catherine, smiling.  I want to know why you didn't give Morgan an answer just now, says Daphne.  You heard what I said, Catherine reminds her.  I know, says Daphne, but I didn't believe your reason--Catherine, you're my sister and I love you, and I have to be honest with you, especially when you aren't being honest with yourself--you asked for more time because you're not sure of your love for Morgan.  But you heard me tell him...begins Catherine.  I know what I heard, says Daphne--and I also know your entire life, you've only loved one man.  Catherine turns away--he's been gone five years, she says.  I know, says Daphne, but there are rumors he's coming back!  I don't want to talk about it, says Catherine.  It's something you can't avoid, says Daphne--even when you were children, everyone knew how you felt about each other.  When he left Collinwood, he left my life, insists Catherine.  No, says Daphne, he'll never leave your life--and you'll never leave his.  He belongs to the past, says Catherine, and I must lead my life by what is to be--not by what has been.  He would be the last person in the world to accept that, says Daphne.  We're discussing my life, not his, Catherine reminds her sister, and I will decide what is to be, not anyone else.  Including me, says Daphne, and I'm very sorry if I seem to be interfering.  Oh, no, I know you meant well, Catherine assures her--you're so thoughtful and considerate, I've always considered myself lucky to have a sister like you.  I only want you to be happy, says Daphne--I just don't see how you can be in this house, I know I couldn't--there's a coldness here, a kind of terrible hostility, I feel it every time I come here--it frightens me.  Perhaps if I come here, everything will change, suggests Catherine.  I'm not sure that anything can change this house, says Daphne.  We'll see, predicts Catherine.  She walks away.  Daphne RT is suddenly faced with an empty room again.  She enters the dark room and looks around, sure she's having hallucinations--how can this be possible?--but no, I know what I just saw--but how?  She closes the doors and leaves.

Gerard carries Edith's body in his arms--you're going to love it in the East Wing, he assures her--such solitude you've never known.  Hearing someone coming, he hides until Daphne hurries past.  Then he drops Edith into a chair and goes elsewhere.  Daphne finds a table overturned in the hallway.  She calls to Edith, but finds only Gabriel's empty wheelchair.  Gabriel appears in the doorway, but Daphne doesn't see him.  She rushes from the bedroom.  Gabriel runs downstairs, turns around in the foyer, and closes himself in the drawing room.  Daphne heads downstairs--"Edith?" she calls.  Gabriel listens from the other side of the doorway.  Daphne opens the double doors and gasps when she sees Gabriel staring at her, blood in his eyes.

NOTES:  There is a huge discrepancy here--this Edith is supposed to be the ancient lady we see in 1897, Quentin's grandmamama, the one with the will hidden in the coffin lining.  Here she has died.  There are many ideas about how this can be so, but a popular one is that Gerard/Judah brought her back to life.  There must be some explanation for her dying here, yet appearing in 1897 as an old woman.

Is Daphne doomed?  Will Gabriel add her to his list of murderees?

What strange parallel word did Daphne see?  Catherine, Morgan, Daphne II?  Who is the mysterious man Catherine has loved since childhood, but who she seems ready to forget and marry artist Morgan and live at Collinwood, which neither Daphne cares for?

Gerard didn't even seem all that thrilled about meeting Edith for sex.  One suspects with all the girlfriends he's amassed thus far, the man must be exhausted, son of Satan or not.  He's only in a human body, after all.

It doesn't sound good at all for Quentin, does it?  Will he beheaded?  What about Desmond, what will his fate be?  Stay tuned.  We're coming to the end of 1840/41.

Great performance by Pennock.  I couldn't understand much of what he was screaming at Edith as he strangled her, but the look on his face said it all.  He was giving her what she deserved, and if he hadn't gotten it at the hands of her husband, it sounds like Gerard was going to give her what she deserved, too--all very kinky, especially for 1970.

Love, Robin

IluvBarnabas

Re: Robservations 11/26/03 - Deliberations Begin - 1185-1186
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 11:11:49 PM »
I may be in the minority but I thought Barnabas did a decent enough job as Quentin's lawyer. It was Mordecai' death at the hands of Gerard that pretty much sealed Quentin's sake....or was it? I thought Quentin's threatening Dawson on the stand was VERY foolish and ultimately led to his being found guilty.