Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118023 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #210 on: July 12, 2020, 03:28:18 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1216 (1841PT) - Melanie - 'Why is there no end to the terror we MUST live through?!'

From "#1216/1217: Robservations 12/19/03: A Shocking Announcement"
Who spoke to you? asks Quentin.  Papa, she replies.  Justin? asks Julia (redundant).  He came to me from the grave and told me we still have obligations, says Melanie.  I knew it, says Quentin, the curse can't be settled any other way, it's got to be a Collins--I don't know why we delude ourselves.  He said we have to have the lottery again, reveals Melanie.  Yes, agrees Quentin, it's the only way.  Whether it's the only way or not, says Julia, we can't have it now--Flora isn't here and Morgan and Catherine are in the village.  We'll have to call them back, insists Quentin.  And what about Gabriel?--we'll never be able to find him, says Julia.  If it wasn't for his cowardice, we wouldn't be here now, says Quentin--we're better off without him.  Perhaps we should try to find him and force him to go into that room, suggests Julia.  If we find him, I'm not sure he'll go into that room, says Quentin, I think perhaps I'll try to kill him first!  Quentin! objects Melanie, you wouldn't do that!
Why not? asks Quentin, his voice filled with venom--brother killing brother--it's not the first time it's been done in the Collins family! (who else?)--you don't have to worry about him, he's safe, because I don't know where to find him--he turns to Julia--what did Carrie Stokes tell Morgan?  He said he didn't really understand her, says Julia--she was cryptic.  I'll have a little talk with Miss Stokes, says Quentin, hurrying out.  Why does this have to happen to us? Melanie tearfully asks Julia--why were we the ones cursed?--what could our family have done in the past that was so terrible?--why is there no end to the terror we must live through?  It will end, Julia insincerely tells the growing-hysterical girl.  I don't believe that, says Melanie--we have done nothing, and yet for us, there can never be any peace!
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2020, 02:18:17 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #127 (1966) - Mrs. Johnson - 'Burke Devlin MUST be very fond of you.'

From "#0127/0128: Robservations 08/17/01: Who is that Blonde?"
Mrs. Johnson looks out the window in Vicki's room and tells her that Burke Devlin must be very fond of her--he dropped everything when he heard you were missing and came right here to the house and spent the entire night searching for you. She turns down Vicki's bed. I could hear him searching for me that night, through the wall in the Old House--I was only inches away, but I couldn't cry out, says Vicki. Well, says Sarah, he didn't stop searching, he did everything he could, and then he hired special investigators, they came up here, tramped all around the grounds, must have cost him a fortune. I didn't know that, says Vicki. Of course I don't say I like the man, says Sarah, but I'd say you were lucky he was on your side. I know, I'm very grateful to him, says Vicki.
[/spoiler]

That's our Mrs. Johnson, keeping up the appearance that she doesn't like Burke even after Bill Malloy's death has been solved.

And I wonder what Mrs. J. would say if she ever knew that Bill's Ghost had been instrumental in saving Vicki from Matthew? But I guess she would never find out because Vicki was unaware of it, and the only ones who could tell her would be Josette's Ghost, The Widows, Matthew's Ghost and Bill's Ghost himself...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 14, 2020, 03:40:18 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #196 (1967) - Liz - 'MUST you indict everyone?'

From "#0196/0197: Robervations 10/09/01: Blackmailed by a Blackguard"
Liz looks out the window, and Roger says he doesn't understand her at all--if he's a friend of Paul's, he's probably as bad as Paul, or worse. Must you indict everyone? She asks. Roger says he simply wants to know the sort of person he'll be tripping over in the hallway. Liz doubts Jason will be in anyone's way. How long will he stay? Asks Roger. Not long. Could you be more specific--one night? Two? Liz isn't certain. Roger says he'll narrow it down--will he be transient or permanent? lease, Roger. Surely you discussed it! His stay will be brief, Liz assures him, that's all I can say.
[/spoiler]

Another classic Liz/Roger tete a tete. One questioning the other, and the other avoiding giving a straight answer. They really had it down to a science!  [ghost_wink]  And in this ep Roger has some great dialogue. I absolutely love his "Well, if he has to stay here to say 'Hello,' how long will it take him to say 'Goodbye'?"

And speaking of dialogue, that "lease, Roger" isn't referring to Roger asking if Jason is taking out some sort of lease for his stay at Collinwood.  [ghost_nowink]  It's a typo that should be Liz saying, "Please, Roger."

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 14, 2020, 08:52:07 PM »
THIS...is MY Dark Shadows!! LOVE IT!!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 15, 2020, 03:54:42 PM »
 [pointing-up]  When I saw that Midnite had chosen that quote/scene, I had a feeling you were going to be very happy.  [ghost_wink]

And here's the screen cap for anyone who might have missed it:

I love the expression on Roger's face.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 15, 2020, 04:16:18 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #413 (1796) - Vicki - 'I know this book MUST be very hard for you to accept.'

From "#0413/0414: Robservations 03/26/02: Barnabas Visits the Docks"
Peter tells Vicki he's been reading the Collins family history book
[/spoiler]

Yup, that's all the Robservations for this ep goes into when it comes to the part of the scene involving today's quote. Apparently Robin didn't think that any of what Vicki and Peter initially say about the book merited attention even though some of the things said actually set up what comes later in the scene. But as I've said, a certain section of Robservations is nowhere near as detailed as most other periods on the show. Unfortunately, this ep falls into that section.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 16, 2020, 04:35:48 AM »
Another classic Liz/Roger tete a tete. One questioning the other, and the other avoiding giving a straight answer. They really had it down to a science!  [ghost_wink]  And in this ep Roger has some great dialogue. I absolutely love his "Well, if he has to stay here to say 'Hello,' how long will it take him to say 'Goodbye'?"

Soon into my viewing of the series when I got the coffin set 8 years ago, I realized how wonderfully written and acted the part of Roger was. I hadn't appreciated him much during first run (but then, I was only 10 when I started watching in 1967; I was more into the spooky and eerie stuff).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2020, 03:00:10 PM »
 [pointing-up]  I can relate, KMR, because I was only 11 when I started watching DS. Like you, I was definitely more interested in "the spooky and eerie stuff." And I paid much more attention to characters like Barnabas, Julia and Angelique than I did Liz, Roger and Carolyn. It wasn't until I rewatched DS as an adult when it was on in '80s syndication that I came to appreciate characters/actors who were less on my radar during the original run. Nowadays I realize how amazing they often were and how they added so much more richness to the show than I ever recognized originally.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2020, 03:05:12 PM »
So much love for today's photo! I love how near-crazed Stokes looks in the capture. Vicki looks confused and has what I think of as her "experimental" hairstyle. I can't recall how long that lasted.

I always feel now as if I've somehow thrown the I Ching or gone down the Stairway through Time when I comment here since it's still 2019 on this board... believe me, I am not complaining.

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2020, 03:30:15 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #527 (1968) - Prof. Stokes - 'Go now. Pack quickly. You MUST get away from this house.'

From "Robservations 6/19/02 - #527/528 - Cass and Nick Bickerson"
Where is the painting? demands Stokes. In my room, says Vicki. Is the painting restored? asks the professor. She nods-yes. You must leave Collinwood immediately, he says, unless you do, you will have the dream. Cassandra will find some way of forcing you to have it, despite Sam Evans' death, and if you do, Barnabas Collins will be your beckoner, you will tell him the dream, and he will die. You MUST leave this very night."
[/spoiler]

Once again this is a Robservations from the period of time when they are nowhere near as detailed as most other periods on the show. At least the summary for the selected scene is more detailed than was the one for yesterday's quote, but once again the selected quote for the day doesn't even appear in the Robservations. And I have no idea why there's a closing quotation mark to end the excerpted section because 1) there is no opening quotation mark, and 2) Stokes never says "You MUST leave this very night." What he does say is today's quote.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 16, 2020, 03:34:44 PM »
I always feel now as if I've somehow thrown the I Ching or gone down the Stairway through Time when I comment here since it's still 2019 on this board... believe me, I am not complaining.

Yes, I've been very lazy in not changing the boards titles over to 2020. But perhaps subconsciously for obvious reasons I don't want to acknowledge that 2020 arrived...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2020, 05:32:20 PM »
So much love for today's photo! I love how near-crazed Stokes looks in the capture. Vicki looks confused

I love how that capture turned out:

Because of the quote Midnite picked, I could have captured what I did or a close-up of Stokes. But I went with both Stokes and Vicki because I thought it not only shows off the quote best, but because of the facial expressions/body language Alexandra and Thayer have.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2020, 05:44:21 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #761 (1897) - Quentin - 'Now there MUST be some solution--something that can undo what the gypsy has done to me.'

From "Robservations 1/9/03 - #760-761 - Died By Fire"[
A very drunk Quentin knocks frantically on Evan's door, hoping his old friend will understand the lateness of the hour. Evan points out how drunk he is.  Yup, says Quentin, very--and it doesn't help.  It never does, says Evan. Turn on the lights, asks Q, I don't like being in the dark. Evan demands, what do you want?  Help! says Q--there's no one else I can turn to; only you understand.  But I can't do anything for you, says the lawyer.  There must be some way to end the curse, insists Quentin, and you have to find it.  I tried twice and failed, Evan reminds him. In two nights, there will be another full moon, says Q, and we both know what that means. I know, says Evan. What you DO NOT know, Quentin tells him harshly, is the agonizing pain that comes before the change, and the guilt after--the last time it happened, I killed a woman!--there MUST be some solution to undo what Magda did. Evan has no solution.  Quentin is miserable. Evan says, I'd like to help you, to keep you from suffering, but I have no supernatural powers! But you do have knowledge of the black arts, says Q, use it!--if anyone can end my misery, it's you--we must persuade Magda to stop it.  We tried, says Evan--it did no good. I'm not looking for a miracle, says Q, just something, anything--I can't go through with this again, I'd rather die!  He splays himself in a chair.  Evan pats his shoulder and promises to try to think of something
[/spoiler]

And yet again Robservations rephrases rather than using a direct quote - and yet again it definitely gets the exact same point across...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 18, 2020, 02:18:00 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #908 (1969) - David - That one MUST have been taken of Carolyn just about the time you left Collinwood.'

From "Robservations 4/24/03 - 907-908 - Weaving a Web Around Paul; Return of Roger"
David closes the doors and Paul impatiently asks, what do you want? I have a photo album, says David--since you weren't around then, perhaps you'd like to see it. (I had the same album!) It's some pictures of Carolyn growing up, says David.  The paranoid Paul says, that's thoughtful of you. Aren't you going to look at any of them? asks David.  The two of them sit on the sofa to go through the pictures. One photo shows a girl in blond pigtails.  David points out, that must have been taken of Carolyn just before you left (the girl in the picture looks much older than two)!
No, says Paul, it isn't. David grins at him and asks, are you going to look at any more?  Of course, says Paul.
[/spoiler]

This time there's only a slight rephrasing. However, what David actually asks is "Aren't you going to look at any more?"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 19, 2020, 01:40:20 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1051 (1970PT) - Claude North - 'And you MUST do nothing to reveal my presence here. Do you understand?'

From "#1050/1051: Robservations 08/05/03: Mourning; Claude North and His Dagger"
Claude North orders Roxanne--keep looking into my eyes, I have the power to restore you to me--if you will it--keep looking into my eyes and come back to me, Roxanne!  He repeats it twice, then grows angry--she has never resisted me before--what has been done to her?--if Stokes were here, I'd kill him with my bare hands--I'm taking her away from this place, I don't care about the deal I made with Stokes--I'll return his money to him, tell him the truth--he touches her shoulder and finishes, "That I can't live without you." Take my hand, he says, come with me.  Hearing someone fumbling with the front door, he says, I must hide--and you must do nothing to reveal my presence here, do you understand? She looks at him.
[/spoiler]