Author Topic: #0053/0054: Robservations 06/25/01: Collinsport, Patterson's Town  (Read 1445 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #53 - My home is now Collinwood, a strange, brooding house where I tutor a small boy--and try to teach him that ghosts are not perfectly natural visitors.

Kitchen - David hungrily munches on his breakfast. Vicki sits down and pours milk into her coffee. He asks Vicki if anything special happened last night. In what way? she asks. I heard someone screaming, didn't you? he asks. Vicki hesitates, then says she doesn't remember. You ought to, he says, it was you screaming. I thought you were supposed to be sound asleep, she says. I wasn't, he says, I was looking out the window and saw you and Carolyn coming up from Widows' Hill--it looked like someone was chasing you. Eat your breakfast, Vicki says, rising from the table and looking out the window. David asks if something WAS chasing her. Certainly not, she says. Then why were you running? He asks. Because... she says, it was damp outside and we wanted to get back into the house. That wasn't why you screamed, he says, did you see a ghost? I told you there are no such things as ghosts! Vicki insists. Yes there are, I've seen them, David tells her. Where? she asks. Here at Collinwood, she says--they like it best at night--is that why you and Carolyn were screaming? I told you, we did not see a ghost, says Vicki. It's stupid to scream if you didn't see one, he says. Eat your. breakfast, we're late already, says Vicki. David eats his toast. I wish I could sleep the way you do, she remarks. Why can't you sleep? he asks--afraid you'll have nightmares. No, I guess I just have too much on my mind, says Vicki. Like whatever it was that made you scream last night? he asks. You only have one thing on your mind, she says, bemused--you're so curious, why don't you go up and look in the crystal ball Burke Devlin gave you and see if you can find the answers. I did look in it, he says--if I told you what I saw, you'd scream even louder. I don't think I would, she says. David looks back and forth, then confides, "Someone in Collinsport is going to try to kill you." Why do you say things like that? she asks, unnerved. Because that's what I see in my crystal ball, he says. Vicki purses her lips and says that's enough of that--finish your breakfast. You know what? he asks
--when you're dead, I won't even come to your funeral (such a nice boy!). Vicki frowns.

Why don't you like me? demands Vicki. Because you came here to try and take my mother's place, he says, biting into his toast. That's not true, she assures him. Then why did you come here? he asks. Because I was offered a job, she says. You mean me? he asks. She puts dishes on the sideboard. I was offered a job to teach you your lessons, she says, but if you won't concentrate on your homework, and keep on having these morbid thoughts about death and ghosts and widows, it will all be a terrible waste. She pours another cup of coffee. How can I not have thoughts of widows when they're all around me? he asks. They're just in your imagination, she says. Guess my mother had the same kind of imagination, he says--she told me what it would be like here at Collinwood. Do you have a picture of her? asks Vicki. I did, but somebody stole it, says David petulantly. Who would do a thing like that? asks Vicki. I don't know, says David, but somebody did steal it. Any idea who it was? asks Vicki. Probably my father, says David--he wants me to forget all about her. You must be wrong, says Vicki. They used to argue all the time, he says. About you? she asks. Sometimes about me, he explains--you know I think if it weren't for my mother, he would have sent me away. That's not true, says Vicki--and your father doesn't hate you--he probably just doesn't understand you--you know lots of grownups don't understand children. Even when it's your own father? Asks David doubtfully. I don't know, she admits--I never knew my own father. I wish I didn't know mine, he says. You should consider yourself very lucky, she chides him, to have one. You know if it weren't for Aunt Elizabeth, I bet he would beat me, says David. Nonsense, says Vicki. You don't believe what I say, says David--nobody does. I believe you, says Liz, entering the room and giving him a smile and a kiss. She greets Vicki warmly, still calling her Miss Winters. What do you want me to believe? asks Liz. Nothing, says David. All right--I believe it, says Liz jauntily--have you seen Matthew this morning? No, would you like me to go call him for you? asks Vicki. No, says Liz, beaming, I'll go to his house and see if he's home. David asks his aunt what all the fuss was about last night. What fuss? She asks. I heard Miss Winters and Carolyn come running into the house, says David. I don't know what you're talking about, says Liz--anyway, she says, kissing him again, nothing for you to be concerned about. Did you also know my father left the house very very early this morning? asks David. You do see a lot, don't you? asks Liz. More than anyone thinks, says David, sounding mysterious. If anyone calls me, says Liz to Vicki, tell them I'll be right back. Yes, agrees Vicki, and sits back own at the table to drink he coffee. David makes sure Liz is gone, then asks Vicki if she likes his aunt. Very much, says Vicki. So do I, he says, almost as much as my mother. She feels the same way about you, says Vicki. If anybody tried to hurt her, I'd kill them! says David. Is that all you can think about? asks Vicki, concerned--hurting and killing people? Why not? he asks--they're all trying to hurt me! He leaves the kitchen. Vicki looks sad. Someone knocks and Vicki asks him to see who that is. David goes to the front door and finds Joe there, who asks if anybody is home. I'm home, points out David (fresh)--but if you mean Carolyn, she's still asleep. What about Mrs. Stoddard? asks Joe. She went out for a minute, says David. I'll wait, says Joe, entering the foyer. OK, says David, sitting on the steps. Joe leans against the table and asks David if he's seen anymore visions in his crystal ball of his. Plenty, says David. Come on, says Joe--you really don't see anything in I, do you? Sure, says David, I told you you weren't going to marry Carolyn, didn't I? You don't believe that stuff, do you? asks Joe. Sure I do, says David, maybe you couldn't see anything in it, but I could--it's a real, genuine crystal ball--Burke Devlin gave it to me. Burke Devlin, huh? asks Joe. He wouldn't give me anything phony, says David. That explains a lot of things, says Joe. What does it explain? asks David. I think you're only seeing in that crystal ball what Mr. Devlin wants you to see.

And what's wrong with that? asks David. Just about everything about Burke Devlin is wrong, says Joe. Vicki joins them, asking what's the matter with Mr. Devlin. David thinks he's a god, and I think he's a devil, says Joe. Maybe he's somewhere in-between, suggests Vicki with a grin--a man. I like him, says David. I'm glad to see there's something in this world you like, says Vicki wryly--now how about going upstairs and starting your lessons. I suppose that means you have something to talk about that you don't want me to hear, says David. No it doesn't says Vicki, smiling--now go along, scoot. Joe tells Vicki he was just waiting for Mrs. Stoddard. David heads upstairs. Vicki suggests Joe wait in the drawing room, and David immediately comes downstairs to eavesdrop. In the drawing room, Joe tells Vicki he had an errand to run for his boss and it just happened to take him past hear. Carolyn's still asleep, says Vicki. Is Mr. Collins here? asks Joe. He left early this morning, says Vicki. I just wondered, says Joe--he didn't show up at the office--and of course Mr. Malloy still isn't there. He isn't? she asks anxiously. Nope, he says. Hasn't anyone heard from him? she asks. No, says Joe, I don't like it. Mrs. Stoddard's gone over to Matthew's cottage, says Vicki, she ought to be back in a minute. Carolyn's still sleeping? Asks Joe--I guess I can wait for a little while. He sits across from her. She tells him they had a lot of excitement here last night--she and Carolyn were out on the point and saw what they thought was a dead man in the water. David listens.
Vicki explains that it was pretty dark, and they didn't stick around to have a good look--Matthew searched the whole shore and didn't find anything except a clump of seaweed--I guess that's what we saw. What were you doing down there in the first place? Asks Joe. Looking for Carolyn's watch, she says. She lost it? asks Joe, upset. I know you gave it to her, says Vicki--but after we saw that seaweed-body thing, we simply fled. Liz enters the house, catching David eavesdropping. She calls his name in disapproval. Hello, he says, I was just on my way upstairs. He starts to head up, but she reminds him that he knows better than to listen at the door. Is it really a dead man? asks David. Certainly not, she says. I imagine it was, he says--it's what I told you--you were going out to meet death! You've been seeing entirely too much of that sort of thing lately, says Liz sternly--what you should be seeing is your schoolbooks, right now. All right, I'm going, he says, he this time, he does go upstairs. Liz enters the drawing room and asks what brings him here this morning--isn't Mr. Malloy back? No, says Joe, and they're pretty worried down at the plant. Of course, so am I, says Liz--Miss Winters, go upstairs and get David started with his lessons. Certainly, says Vicki, and leaves. When did you last see Mr. Malloy? Liz asks Joe. The day before yesterday, says Joe--I stopped by the Blue Whale--maybe I shouldn't mention that. Liz assures him she doesn't care where Bill has been she wants to know where he is right now. I just don't know, he says. Wouldn't the men on the boats have any idea? She asks. No, says Joe, I already asked--nobody knows anything--Mr. Malloy always comes down to the docks in the morning to see the boats go out--yesterday morning was the first time he's ever missed--and this morning, too.
Was Mr. Collins in when you left? she asks. I didn't see, says Joe--that doesn't mean a thing, my job doesn't keep me in the office all the time. Liz excuses herself and goes to the phone. She dials, telling Joe that Carolyn is still asleep. Liz asks if Mr. Collins has come in yet--I see, she says, this is Mrs. Stoddard--ask him to call me when he comes in. She hangs up and asks if Vicki told him about the fright she and Carolyn had last night. She said something about it, chuckles Joe. Carolyn doesn't usually sleep this late, says Liz, but they didn't get to sleep until all hours. I know, says Joe. You will keep asking about Mr. Malloy, won't you? asks Liz. Certainly, says Joe--I guess I'd better get back--I wouldn't want the place to fall apart, with Mr. Malloy and me both being away. Someday you'll be just as important there, says Liz, smiling. Tell Carolyn I'll call her as soon as I get a chance, says Joe, and departs. Liz picks up the phone and dials operator, asking for the sheriff's office. George, she says, I hesitate to ask you, but I'm worried about Bill Malloy. (What happened to Carter?)

Up in David's room, Vicki asks him if he remembers what they studied yesterday--the development of transportation--what were the first highways of the world? He's got his face between his hands and is staring at the crystal ball. Rivers, he said. Right, she says, and in the US, rivers usually flow in two directions. The Atlantic and Pacific, he says, sounding bored--who do you suppose it was you and Carolyn saw last night? Last night? asks Vicki. In the water, dead? he asks. Were you listening downstairs? She asks accusingly. Is that what you were screaming about? he asks. You were listening when I was talking to Joe! says Vicki. Arms crossed, fidgeting, David says he couldn't help but listen to some of it--but he didn't listen in purpose. Yes you did, says Vicki, and one day, you're likely to hear something you wish you hadn't--it's a very bad habit--now, what do we call the line that divides the rivers? I don't know, he says. How did you know the man was dead? asks David. He wasn't, says Vicki--I mean, there wasn't anything there. If he wasn't there, how could you see him? asks David. He wasn't there, we were mistaken, says Vicki--we saw a bunch of seaweed and thought it was something else. A dead man? asks David. I don't want to discuss it anymore, says Vicki, rising, book in hand--now where were we? The Continental Divide, he says. Right, she says--and what is the largest river in the United States? The Rocky Mountains, says David, looking up at her--that's where the Continental Divide is--how did you know it was seaweed--did you go down and look? No, Matthew did, she says. Mississippi, he says,. Right, she says, and what is the longest river in the United States? I don't know, says David. It also is the name of a state, says Vicki--the Missouri--it's five miles longer that the Mississippi and empties into the Gulp of Mexico. Matthew know who the dead man was? asks David. I've already told you, says Vicki, growing annoyed, there wasn't...tell me the name of the longest river. I don't know, he says.

Please don't misunderstand, Liz tells the sheriff on the phone, it's quite possible nothing at all has happened to Bill Malloy, but if you'll just check the hospitals, in case--thank you so much--goodbye. Someone knocks and Liz goes to answer. It's Joe. He's found Carolyn's watch--it wasn't more than a hundred yards from the house. Liz promises to give Carolyn the watch--does Joe want her to wake Carolyn up? No, she wouldn't be pleased if you did that, says Joe, and leaves. Liz dials from the foyer phone, asking for Roger--no, don't bother--I wanted to make sure--I suppose there have been a good many inquiries about Mr. Malloy?--yes, I can imagine--if there are anymore calls, just tell them Mr. Malloy is out of town on business--I don't know when he'll be back--she hangs up.

Rivers have played a great part in the development of the United States, says Vicki, pacing back and forth in David's room, book in hand--can you tell me how? I guess they had all the water they wanted, says David. True, says Vicki, grinning, but more important than that, they provided a mean of transportation--for people--and for commerce--you can move almost anything by water. Even a dead man? asks David, smiling. I thought we were through with that kind of talk! says Vicki, dropping the book on the desk. David leans his head against his hand. I already told you, she says--it was a figment of our imagination--there was no dead man! I imagine there was, says David--I told you--it was probably Mr. Malloy. Vicki sighs, not happy to hear this voiced aloud.

Liz sits in the drawing room. Matthew comes in and says he got the notes she left for him--Mr. Collins wanted him earlier, that's why he wasn't at home. Mr. Collins, what for? asks Liz. He asked me to walk along the rocks with him, says Matthew--he wanted to make sure what the young ladies claimed they saw wasn't there. Yes? asks Liz. It wasn't, says Matthew. That's a relief, says Liz, I was beginning to wonder that myself. I told you that last night, says Matthew. I know, but it was dark--you could have missed it, says Liz. No, says Matthew, I pointed out all that seaweed to Mr. Collins--there's always a lot torn loose after a storm--if I was you, I'd ask your daughter to stay away from that ledge on Widows' Hill. Why? asks Liz, it's always been a favorite place of hers since she was a little girl. T'aint healthy, proclaims Matthew, they say is was from that very spot the first Mrs. Collins jumped so long ago. That's just a story, says Liz. Maybe, he says--there's another way of telling it--it could be she didn't jump of her own free will--she might have been drawn there by unnatural forces. That's nonsense, says Liz. Is it? asks Matthew.

For the last time, there was no dead man down there, Vicki insists to David, who now sits on his bed, thumbing through the book--you were listening at the door, so you must have heard me tell Joe it was seaweed. Yes, says David, but I also heard you talking about Mr. Malloy. He's old enough not to have to tell people his comings and goings, insists Vicki. David makes a face and says, "Not anymore--I think my father killed him!" That's a horrible thing to say! Vicki tells him, sitting on the bed beside him. Is it horrible to tell the truth? he asks. But it isn't the truth, she says, you don't know a thing about it. I know what I saw in my crystal ball, don't I? he asks. It's in your mind, says Vicki, not true, it's all in your imagination. I can see the waves, Mr. Malloy standing up on something--I saw my father come up behind him, and push him, and make him fall in the water! says David viciously. Ever since I came here, you've been trying to get your father into trouble, and me, too, says Vicki--why? Why shouldn't I? he retorts, standing by the desk, you and my father have always been making trouble for ME! But you still...David, do you realize what a serious thing it is you're saying--that your father killed Bill Malloy--do you know what kind of trouble he could get into?--he could be sent to prison for life! That would suit me just fine! Says David.

Drawing room - Liz asks Matthew how long he's worked for her here at Collinwood. 18 years, he says, before that, I worked for your father on the boats. And in those 18 years, says Liz, I don't think you've ever told me a deliberate lie. I never will, vows Matthew. When you were telling us what you saw last night, says Liz, you chose your words very carefully--you said you walked from one end of the property to the other and back, and there was nothing there--on your return trip there was nothing there--was there something there when you first went down? there was, admits Matthew. Was it what Carolyn and Miss Winters says it was? asks Liz, after a moment's hesitation. There was a drowned man there, confesses Matthew. Why didn't you tell me the truth? demands Liz, upset. I did, he says, I pushed the body back into the water and watched the waves carry it out to sea. Did you recognize him? asks Liz. Matthew nods--it was Bill Malloy, he says. How could you do such a thing? asks Liz, her face twisted with horror. I thought it was for the best, he says. Did you think it for the best to take the law into your own hands? she asks, racing for the phone
--you can't do it! She dials the operator and asks for the sheriff's office--hello, George, this is Mrs. Stoddard--you can stop your search for Bill Malloy--I know where he is. Matthew, face stoic, stands there, unmoving.

NOTES: So Vicki and Carolyn did see a dead man--and it WAS Bill Malloy! Damn, and I was growing to like that bearded face, too. Now, the question is, who killed the seaman? Roger? Sam? Someone else? Or was it an accident--could Bill Malloy have gone for a walk and just fallen in?

David's insistence on discussing anything other than his boring schoolwork is understandable, but I would never have Vicki's patience with him. His insistence in discussing death, crystal balls and his hatred of his father is annoying me; I can only imagine how much it's pissing off Vicki. He eavesdrops, goes against everything he's told to do, yet he loves his Aunt Liz so fiercely, he'd kill for her--and hates his own father with equal ferocity, and would see him either dead or imprisoned. A little boy who needs a lot of work--and a lot of love.

Joe frets about Bill, Liz frets about Bill, Vicki frets about Bill. Nothing really to move things along, but the ending of this show was incredible. Liz knows Matthew so well, she just knew he was lying to her, or at least skirting the truth. You can almost understand his desire to save the Collins family from more scandal, more problems, but he did take the law into his own hands, and that was wrong.

Let's have a moment of silence for a good, simple and honest man--Bill Malloy, we raise a toast to you!

Episode #54 - At night, ghosts from the past haunt this doomed house at the top of Widows' Hill, howling for revenge--in the morning, although they cannot be seen, they are still there, waiting. Roger, coat slung over his shoulder, walks the dock by the boats and waves t someone. He enters his office, whistling, and hangs up his coat. The phone rings. He calls his secretary to answer, but she doesn't, and he picks it up himself. It's Burke, calling from the pay phone at the Inn--let's not play games anymore, says Burke brusquely. Who is this? demands roger. Burke Devlin, the other man replies--I'm really worried--something must definitely must have happened to Bill Malloy. Why, have you heard anything? asks Roger. That's what I'm calling you about, says Burke, I'm calling every place I can think of--no one has any idea where he's gone, if he went, how he went, and why--do you want to start answering those questions, in order? For heaven's sake, says Roger, the man worked for me, I'm not paid to look after him. Doesn't it bother you that the manager of your plant seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth? Asks Burke. Of course it bothers me, says Roger--I've been making inquiries, asking questions. With what results? asks Burke. None at all, says Roger--perhaps I should ask my son to look into his crystal ball. Never mind the cracks, says Burke. And you never mind sending gifts to my son, especially gifts of that nature, says Roger. What's wrong with what I sent him? asks Burke. It was possibly one of the most inappropriate things you could have selected, says Roger, for an over sensitive, over-imaginative child--you must have gone to a great deal of trouble to pick out something in such poor taste! Burke grins mischievously and says he thought David might get a kick out of it--Lord knows, the kid has little enough fun in that tomb you call a home--anyway, that's neither here nor there--have you heard anything from bill Malloy? No I have not, says Roger icily, and hangs up. He slips into his jacket and ignores the phone, which rings on, unanswered, as he leaves his office.

Liz hangs up the phone and tells Matthew that Mr. Collins didn't answer; she left word for him to call--I want to talk to you before the police get here--why don't you sit down? I'm more comfortable standing, he says. Liz sits down on the sofa. How could you have looked at the body of a man you'd know all your life and do what you did? she asks desperately. He was dead, says Matthew, it didn't matter to him. It doesn't seem possible, says Liz--how could it have happened? I looked him over careful, says Matthew--to the best of my knowledge, it looked like he had drowned. Could it have been anything else? asks Liz. I've seen drowned men before, Matthew reminds her. Poor Bill, laments, Liz, hr always was afraid of the water. Because he couldn't swim, says Matthew, sounds funny, a man running a fishing fleet, an old time fisherman himself, not being able to swim--but there's lots like that--they trust in St. Elmo to bring them home safely. St. Elmo brought Bill home, says Liz sadly, but not safely--you should have pulled his body out of the water and called the police! I wasn't thinking of myself or Bill, says Matthew, but Collinwood--if the situation had been revered, and it had been Bill Malloy that found me dead, he'd have done the same thing. I don't understand, says Liz. Remember what I told you about what would happen if Miss Carolyn and Miss Winters thought they saw a body, or even a hint of one? asks Matthew--think of what it would be like if t'was known there really was a body down there. Liz rises from the sofa, saying you can't hide a thing like that. Why not, they'll find him somewhere up the coast, says Matthew, where no one can say Collinwood caused another death. You're sure he drowned? Asks Liz. Matthew nods and says I believe so. But where? asks Liz--not on Widows' Hill, not here! I'd say not, says Matthew, looked like he'd been in the water at least 24 hours. How do you know that? she asks. It's not a pleasant thing to discuss, says Matthew--there are ways. (Fish must have feasted hearty.) Liz wanders around the sofa, clasping her hands together, sadly digesting all this. What do you want me to tell the police when they get here? asks Matthew. The truth, says Liz quietly. Everything? He asks. What do you mean? Liz asks. I don't think too quickly, he says--if you want me to tell them in any special way, you'd better coach me in advance. Tell them the truth, instructs Liz--you have nothing to hide, there's nothing you know about. Yes mum, he says. Are you positive he drowned? Asks Liz. You keep asking that, says Matthew, do you expect he might have died some other way? No, she says. I wasn't really questioning you, he assures her, but I was thinkin'--those are the questions the police are going to be asking. You're right, she says, and not just the police--but Burke Devlin--he'll have a lot of question to ask. Mebbe, he says
--maybe I'll have some to ask Mr. Devlin. They look at each other, and Matthew's face looks downright scary (such bushy eyebrows)!

Roger, sitting at his desk, tells a caller on the phone that he doesn't care what Mr. Malloy told him--from now on, they're going to do it his way--I sent you a memo on it--is that clear enough, or would you like me to take an ad in the paper?--all right then, I'm sure you'll find out my new system will work out much more efficiently. He hangs up and is immediately buzzed. No, I don't want to see him or anyone, says Burke--and no phone calls. Burke bursts in and praises Roger for his consideration--to make sure they aren't disturbed. How did you get in here? demands roger. Don't start blaming people, says Burke--I told them you were expecting me--you did expect me, didn't you? I certainly did not, says Roger--I'm extremely busy, so if you don't mind... I DO mind! says Burke, very much--you're not overly talkative on the telephone, so I thought I'd come over in person. You're even more objectionable in person, aren't you? asks Roger--are you going to leave, or should I call the company guards? Yes, why don't you call the guards? Asks Burke, and we'll start a search for Malloy. It's one thing for you to make threats and insinuations around Collinsport, says Roger, but don't you dare come in here and tell me how to run my business. Is searching for Malloy part of your business? Asks Burke--is he just another item in your books? No, he's also a friend, says Roger. Not of yours, says Burke. What do you want? asks Roger. To ask you some questions, says Burke. Why don't you ask Sam Evans? queries Roger with a bitter smile. Burke grins and sits down--I did, he says. Roger looks perturbed.

Liz hears a car pull up--the sheriff--remember, she tells Matthew, just tell the truth. I will, Matthew promises. Liz answers the door and says, Come in, Jonas--or should I say sheriff? (Now played by Dana Elcar.) George is fine with me, Patterson assures her. (I guess the elections happened and Jonas Carter is gone.) What's this about Mr. Malloy? Patterson asks her. Matthew will tell you, says Liz--come with me. They join Matthew in the drawing room, and he refers to the sheriff as "George." Do you know where Malloy is? asks Patterson. He's dead--drowned, says Matthew. The sheriff looks at Liz. Oh? he asks, how did it happen? I don't know, says Matthew. Where's the body? asks the sheriff. We don't know that, either, says Liz.

Burke advises Roger to sit down--what he's got to tell him, he isn't going to like--he tried to see him yesterday, even went up to his ancestral home--don't look so panicky--I didn't discover any deep, dark secrets, I only talked to Carolyn and Joe--their feelings are no secrets at all. Burke takes the darts from Roger's desk. What did you say to them? demands Roger, standing--didn't they wonder why you were there? Yes, says Burke, throwing a dart--I told them I wanted to talk to you--about Bill Malloy. What right did you have to go up there in the first place? Roger asks. I wanted to see you, says Burke--that's where you live, isn't it? And so you insinuated to my niece and one of my employees that I had something to do with Malloy's disappearance? I didn't insinuate a thing to them, or you, says Burke, I'm TELLING you, loud and clear! Why shouldn't I? asks Roger--didn't I agree to meet you and Evans and Malloy right here in this office--doesn't that prove I didn't have a thing to worry about? Burke grins. No, he says, it only proves that Malloy was right when he wanted to tell me something at that meeting, something detrimental to you and Sam Evans. That doesn't make sense, says Roger, I tell you I have nothing to do with Evans. Then why did Bill want him there last night? asks Burke. I don't know, says Roger, I told you he might have gone haywire, he's been saying all sorts of things for which he had absolutely no basis. I think he had a basis, says Burke--he wanted Sam to corroborate that evidence. Then why didn't he? asks Roger, when you and I were here in this office for almost an hour--why didn't Evans speak up then? Burke says maybe he was afraid--what have you got on him? On Evans?--I hardly know the man, says Roger. Bill Malloy set up that meeting for one reason only, says Burke--to clear me of that manslaughter charge? How could he? asks Roger. Through Evans, says Burke--and when Bill didn't show up last night, you must have talked to Evans, told him to keep his mouth shut. Ridiculous, says Roger--you're like a man with a jigsaw puzzle, trying to force the pieces to fit when they don't. Am I? asks Burke--suppose we sit down here and try to fit those pieces together correctly? He sits at Roger's desk. Why should I? asks Roger, I don't owe you anything. You owe me plenty--five years I spent in prison because of you, says Burke, and tosses a dart viciously at the board, then smiles at Roger.

As I understand it, Matthew, says Sheriff Patterson, you realized it was Bill Malloy right away? Yes, he says. You knew him quite well--as well as I did, says the sheriff. I liked him, says Matthew, nodding, he was a good man. And yet you had no compunction about shoving his body back in the water, says Patterson. I'd do the same thing again, says Matthew. Matthew was trying to spare us any notoriety, says Liz, resulting from a drowning connected with Collinwood. He wasn't drowned here, says George, walking toward Liz, who is sitting by the fireplace--with our tides, a body could get carried quite a ways in 24 hours. We aren't sure it was that long, says Liz. I know I'm only guessing, smiles George, but most of the time, my guesses are better than my logical deductions. I know Matthew should have notified you right away, says Liz, and shouldn't have pushed the body back into the water... You understand, George, says Matthew, Miz Stoddard didn't have anything to do with it--didn't even know about it--and the minute I told her, she got on the phone and called you. I know, says Patterson. Aren't you going to arrest me? asks Matthew. I can't think of a proper charge, says Patterson--I suppose I could thumb through the books and come up with something--improper burial without a license--the only thing is, I wish you hadn't have done it--set Bill afloat the way you did. You're right, says Matthew, I wasn't thinking good--I shouldn't have done it. A smart detective would say you were thinking REAL good, says Patterson--that you pushed him back into the sea to hide something else. What would I be hiding? Asks Matthew. We won't know that until we find the body and have an autopsy, says Patterson. Autopsy? Asks Liz. You have to, in a case like this, says the sheriff.
What do you expect to find? Asks Liz. We'll see, says Patterson with a final glance at Matthew.

I'm going to ask you the same questions I asked Sam Evans, Burke tells Roger--and I hope you have the same answers. I had nothing to do with Evans, insists Roger. That won't do, says Burke, you and Evans were thick as thieves! I don't know what you're talking about, says Roger. You set me up on that manslaughter charge, accuses Burke, and you know it! I know nothing of the kind, says Roger. And if Bill Malloy hadn't conveniently disappeared he would have proved it, says Burke. You not only jump to conclusions, you leap over them! says Roger--number one, Malloy hasn't disappeared, he has simply not appeared. I don't care what words you use, says Burke--the fact is, he's not here, he's no where to be found. Maybe he doesn't want to be found, suggests Roger. Oh, you think he's hiding someplace, says Burke--why would he want to do that?--why would he set up this meeting between you, me and Sam Evans? I can't answer that, says Roger, but I do know he was drinking that day. I'm aware of that, says Burke--he must have had a terrible worry on his mind--to make him do a thing like that--he must have been faced with a tremendous decision--the same way Sam Evans was. I told you again and again I don't know anything about Sam Evans! shouts Roger. But Sam Evans knows something about you, says Burke. That's absurd, says Roger. And Bill Malloy knows what that something is! insists Burke. I won't be badgered and bullied, says Roger. Yes you will, says Burke, because Malloy made me a proposition
--he wanted me to leave your sister and Carolyn alone, stop delving into the past. In return for what? asks Roger--what could he possibly offer you? He offered me you, says Burke--YOU on a silver platter!

Let's see if I have this straight now, says Patterson, writing in his book. He's sitting on the sofa. Matthew is still standing. It was shortly after midnight when you found the deceased--and how long after that did you flip the body back into the water? Right away, says Matthew. You must have taken a little time, says Patterson, you said you looked him over carefully. Five or 10 minutes, says Matthew. He was back here in less than half an hour, chimes in Liz, he walked up the shore and back. What for? asks Patterson. No, I didn't, corrects Matthew--I didn't walk anywhere--I stood there and studied the matter, trying to decide what to do--it was a good 20 minutes--then I eased Bill's body back into the water and watched to make sure the current was going to carry it away. Can we say 12:30? Asks Patterson. Thereabouts, agrees Matthew. Why is the exact time so important? asks Liz. It will help us find the body, says the sheriff, figuring elapsed times and the tide--same as figuring backwards if we can narrow down this time element here, we might be able to figure out where Bill was when he fell in the water--I want you to go out and show my deputy, Harry Shaw, just where you found Bill. I know him, says Matthew--you won't be needin' me anymore. I'll be needing you, Patterson assures him--first we have to find the body. Matthew leaves the room. What if you don't find it? asks Liz. I'll have to figure out if Matthew didn't do something a little worse than just delay the recovery of the deceased, says Patterson (with Matthew listening in the foyer). What do you mean, something worse? Asks Liz. In a case like this, with a death under peculiar circumstances, I like to look around and see if there's anyone who could have profited by that death, says Patterson. How could Matthew possibly profit? Asks Liz. Profit isn't always a matter of dollars and cents, says Patterson--do you know anyone who would have liked to see Mr. Malloy dead? Liz turns to the sheriff, furious.

And you and Sam Evans are the only two people who would profit from Bill Malloy's disappearance, says Burke. I don't know anything about Evans, says Roger, I only know about me--it's perfectly ridiculous. If I find out you had anything to do with his disappearance, warns Burke, which is what I'm thinking, you'd better hope to God the police find it out instead of me! Your threats don't frighten me, says Roger. They'd better! Shouts Burke--this isn't the case of the Collinwood money, that can railroad an innocent man into prison. The phone rings. Roger answers. It's Liz, who tells Roger to come home right away--she doesn't care what he's doing--drop it. Right away, says Roger, hanging up. Your inquisition will have to wait, says Roger, heading for the door. I can wait, but not long, says Burke. I'm sure by the next time I see you, you'll have forgotten this whole thing, says Roger. Don't you believe it, says Burke--I don't forget anything--ever! Roger leaves. Burke picks up another dart and tosses is angrily at the board, hitting the bullseye.

Liz tells Patterson she can't think of anyone who would want any harm to come to Bill Malloy--much less this. You don't get around much, he says, there's probably a lot you're not aware of. I realize that, she says, I imagine my brother would be able to tell you much more. They hear Roger's car pull up, and Liz requests that she tell Roger herself. Patterson says they'll both tell him. Roger comes in, asking what's so important that he leave his labors at the plant to hurry home? The police want to question you, says Liz.
Roger turns and sees Patterson standing in the drawing room doorway. He looks quite nervous.

NOTES: They are making it look like Roger DID have something to do with Malloy's death, aren't they? Burke sure seems to think so, but is he right? To me, Matthew is acting oddly here. His reason for pushing the body back into the water seem altruistic, but still peculiar.

I noticed a writer, Francis Swann, was penning DS eps at this time. They are very well written.

Love the dart board usage in Burke and Roger's discussion in his office. You sense Burke wishes he were sending those darts into Roger's eyes, he's so angry.

Sheriff Patterson, portrayed by Dana Elcar, is my favorite DS sheriff. He's a real guy, not as folksy and Maine-y as Jonas Carter was, but fun nevertheless. He has a lot on his hands once Barnabas comes to town.

Poor Liz--she loses one man who means a great deal to her and finds another she trusts has lied to her. She already seems overwhelmed, but this is a lot to swallow all at once.

Notice how Roger has already taken over the plant, making changes of his own, as though he already knows Malloy is never coming back. Interesting!

Will the real murderer of Bill Malloy please stand up?

Love, Robin