Author Topic: #0459/0460: Robservations 04/26/02: Finale  (Read 1418 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0459/0460: Robservations 04/26/02: Finale
« on: April 25, 2002, 08:42:29 PM »
459 - (Thayer David) A seance has been held in the great house of Collinwood, a seance which has suspended time and space and sent one girl on an uncertain and frightened journey into the past, back to the year 1795. There in the master bedroom of the Collins mansion, a woman hovers between life and death, the victim of a curse placed upon her son. He waits alone, hoping beyond hope that the curse will not be carried out.

Barnabas walks into the drawing room, anguished. She can't die, he tells Ben.
Ben says no one knows how much poison she took, and reveals that Forbes told Naomi where to find him. Barnabas assures him Nathan will pay for that--I begged my mother not to love him, warned her about the curse, but she wouldn't listen to me. You can't just tell someone to stop loving, Ben points out. Barnabas frets: where is the doctor? Why is he taking so long? Joshua comes downstairs and tells them that there's no need for a doctor--"Your mother is dead." Barnabas face crumples with grief. Joshua asks Ben to leave them, he wants to talk to Barn alone--but stick around, he'll need him later. Joshua assures Barn Naomi died quietly, but this is little consolation to Barnabas. Joshua feels he's to blame for her death, too, she wouldn't have taken her own life if she felt she could turn to him. Barnabas says he never heard his father speak this way before. She told me she loved me, says Joshua. "You didn't know?" asks Barnabas, but Joshua said he thought she'd stopped loving him long ago. "Because you stopped loving her," says Barnabas. "Perhaps," says Joshua--I wanted to love her, she was my wife. But you didn't, says Barnabas. Uncomfortable, Joshua suggests he's incapable of loving anyone. It could be your salvation, says Barnabas--you can't love me, so you won't be a victim of the curse. (As if he isn't already a victim--he's lost his sister, daughter, wife and, for all intents and purposes, his son!) The curse must be ended, insists Joshua, and he'll do it. He can't allow this to go on any longer, anymore people to die--he must destroy him, but he couldn't drive a stake through his heart. There's another way, says Joshua, a silver bullet fired directly into his heart will do the job. He learned this in Boston. He must destroy him, and if Barnabas has any human feeling left, he'll let him do it. He's sent Riggs into town to have a silver candelabra turned into 6 bullets, and he will use those bullets to destroy him. Barnabas asks where Forbes is, and Joshua is about to respond when Ben burst in--Vicki is gone! Search the grounds, orders Joshua. Barn asks if there's a price on Vicki's head, and they both realize Nathan took her to get the money. He must die, insists Barnabas, but Joshua doesn't want that. He's responsible for Naomi's death, says Barnabas, but Joshua doesn't want his son committing anymore destruction.
This will be his one last act, says Barnabas, "and one which will give me enormous pleasure." Joshua can't stop him--no one can. Barnabas walks out, leaving Joshua absolutely miserable.

At the Eagle, Nathan sifts through his ill-gotten gains, and tells the young lady at the table with him he's leaving Collinsport, without his wife, for whom he has special plans. You'll be missed, she says, being so handsome and all, and slides an affectionate arm around him. Nathan suggests she join him. Their flirting is ended by the sight of a huge bat fluttering outside the window of the Eagle. She's terrified, she hates bats. She wants to go lie down for a while, she says, and if he wants company, he knows where to find her. Left alone, Nathan orders another drink. Suddenly he hears Barnabas' voice calling "Forbes!" Nathan looks surprised, and fearful. Did you think I'd gone to England? asks Barnabas. That's right, says Nathan. You told my mother I was alive and in the tower, says Barnabas--she found me there, and she's dead!--she killed herself because she found out about me--and she found out about me because of YOU! I didn't want any harm to come to her, says Nathan, sounding genuinely distressed to hear this. And what about Daniel? pursues Barnabas. I lost my temper, but didn't mean to harm the boy, protests Nathan. And Millicent? pursues Barnabas. I'm married to her and love her very much, insists Nathan. Barnabas calls him a lying hypocrite--"You'll stop at nothing to get what you want--MY MOTHER IS DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU!" cries Barnabas, clearly scaring Nathan. Barnabas smashes his cane on the table, destroying the glassware. Nathan denies this accusation, then pulls out his pistol. "I've captured the Collinsport strangler," announces Nathan triumphantly, pointing the gun at Barnabas, who laughs and retorts, "Is that what you think?" I know it, says Nathan, and we're going to the constable--I'm not bluffing, I'll shoot. "Go ahead, shoot me," orders Barnabas. "Shoot! SHOOT!" Nathan fires. Barnabas momentarily clutches his chest, then looks the wide-eyed Nathan in the eye and says, "I cannot die because I am already dead! Do I frighten you, Forbes? I do not plan to kill you, at least not here and now. Later, Forbes, after you've had time to think about it. Nine o'clock. When the clock strikes nine, you will die!"
Nathan gazes wildly around him, but Barnabas has disappeared. The barmaid reappears, demanding to know where the shots came from. "He isn't human!" cries Nathan. "He isn't human! I've got to get out of here!" He flees the Eagle, observing that the time is 8:30.

8:45. When Rigs returns with the silver bullets, bring them to me, along with a revolver, Joshua orders Ben--I'll do the job in the secret room--bring the coffin there--I will do it at sunrise. Nathan rushes in, begging Joshua to help him--I saw Barnabas at the Eagle, but no one else saw him--I fired a bulletin into his chest, but didn't die, he just disappeared. He's a vampire, reveals Joshua, to Nathan's pure horror, placed under a curse that has destroyed this family and, in due time, Barnabas himself. Nathan can't believe it--Barnabas threatened to kill him! (Ben grins a cute, happy smile.) Joshua is surprised Barnabas didn't kill Forbes, who he blames him for Naomi's death--as do I, says Joshua--I have tried to talk to Barnabas, but can't talk him out of his plan--I'm almost sorry for you, he tells Nathan, but there's nothing I can do--I won't stick around, and don't want to see what is going to happen to you, adds Joshua, and leaves. Ben reveals to Nathan that he knew about and protected Barnabas for a long time--I tried to stop Barnabas once, tried to destroy him in the one way he can be. Nathan begs to know this information, but Ben withholds it for a few moments, then slyly tells him the way to kill Barnabas is to go to his coffin tomorrow morning, when he's resting, and drive a stake through his heart. But by tomorrow morning, chortles Ben, "you'll be dead!"
Nathan's face shakes as he contemplates this horror. Nathan starts to leave Collinwood, but hears dogs howling, which Ben says means HE'S nearby. It's 8:56. Nathan looks like his eyes are about to spring from his head. Ben leaves him, too, saying he doesn't want to be around when it happens, either. Nathan's only hope is to be with Joshua, perhaps Barnabas won't harm him then. Joshua is sitting in the study, but he refuses to be with him at 9 PM. Then Nathan spots the crossbow hanging in the study wall and tells Joshua he's right--he should go--I was being cowardly, I might as well face death like a man. Joshua sadly says he almost wishes he could do something for him, in spite of everything. He goes.  Nathan takes the crossbow down from the wall and loads it with a wooden arrow--if it pierces Barnabas' heart, it will destroy him. The front door opens and Barnabas enters. He heads to the study. Nathan waits with the loaded crossbow, standing against the door for a moment. He aims the crossbow at the door, steps back, and fires it where he figures Barnabas' heart will be at the right moment. Barnabas' booted feet walk inexorably across the carpet. The clock strikes 9. Nathan cautions himself to be steady, aim carefully. The storm rages outside. Barnabas opens the door, enters (he could have just materialized in the room and really scared the crap out of Nathan). He spots Forbes with the weapon, shouts, "NO!" Nathan fires. Barnabas screams as the arrow enters his body.

NOTES: Exceptional performances by all here. I hate Nathan, but Barnabas' threat scares me almost as much as it does him; I am that caught up in Frid's performance. Ben is having so much fun watching Nathan's terror, and when he tells him he doesn't want to witness what Barnabas is going to do to him, you sense he really DOES want to stick around and watch Forbes get his. Joshua, on the other hand, cannot bear the idea that if Barnabas continues to survive, he will murder other innocents. How much worse can it get for this father, who you KNOW loves his son, deep down, to be forced to contemplate destroying him? It really chokes me up.

460 - (Alexandra Moltke) A seance has been held in the great house of Collinwood, a seance which has suspended time and space and sent one girl on an uncertain and frightened journey into the past, back to the year 1795. There, in the village of Collinsport, Victoria Winters has been unjustly accused of witchcraft, and on this day she will be hanged by the neck until dead. And another she has known, Barnabas Collins, faces a final and ultimate destruction.

Unfortunately for Nathan, his arrow missed Barnabas' heart; the gleeful vampire withdraws the arrow and triumphantly informs him of this--"It didn't hit me!"
Nathan, after hurling a piece of furniture at Barnabas in one last-ditch effort to save himself, succumbs to the vampire's strangling hands.

Joshua enters the study and tells Barnabas Ben buried Nathan (and I bet with a great deal of satisfaction, too!) They'll say he left Collinsport, everyone knows he was a blackguard and won't be surprised he deserted Millicent. Joshua told Millicent Nathan was gone, but she only remembers a suitor named Forbes who deceived her and that she sent him away. Barnabas is glad she doesn't even remember her marriage, and Joshua plans to have the union annulled--as far as history is concerned, it never happened (which is why, in the history book, Millicent never married). Barnabas observes his father is trembling. He asks if Joshua has the gun and silver bullets, and when he nods, tells him to use it. Joshua can't, not here or now, but Barnabas says he must, or he'll go on destroying--Angelique's curse, Barnabas begs his father. Joshua says he wants to wait until the morning; he instructed Ben and Riggs to carry the coffin back to the secret room in the tomb--go there at sunrise and he will do what he must. Barnabas seems pleased at the thought of eternal peace, and Joshua says that, although he doesn't know what lies beyond the grave, he wishes his son some kind of peace. (sob!) What will happen to you, Father? Barnabas asks. "I'll survive," says Joshua. Millicent? She won't recover, and Joshua will care for her as his own daughter and make Daniel his adopted son and legal heir--I hope to be a better father to him than I was to you and Sarah. Barnabas laments his sister's death, wishing he could undo what he has done. No one will ever know about you, promises Joshua, or what happened after Angelique came--every mention of her name will be struck from the family record, and both Jeremiah and Naomi will have died natural deaths--no mention will be made of the duel. Barnabas wishes this really was the truth, but Joshua says it will be true in historical terms--the world will only know Barnabas was his son and went to England--that is all. The cock crows. Daylight is near. Barnabas asks his father to free Ben--he deserves it for being so loyal. He also asks Joshua to try to save Miss Winters. I've tried and failed, reports Joshua, but Barnabas asks him to appeal to the governor and ask for a stay of execution and new trial. Joshua promises. Barnabas says he must go. Joshua hesitantly says he was never able to show much affection. . .Barnabas asks him not to show it now--forget I am your son, forget I ever existed. Joshua cries that he can't. You must, insists Barnabas. They exchange good-byes, and a heartbroken Joshua watches his son walk from his sight for the last time.
They gaze at each other for a long, long, sorrow-filled moment, and Barnabas leaves. Joshua sifts the silver bullets through his hands, then takes a pistol into one shaking hand and looks as if his heart is going to break at the thought of destroying his only son.

Later, in the mausoleum, when the time comes, however, Joshua holds the pistol over his son's inert body, aimed at his heart, and can't bring his shaking hands to destroy him. He closes the lid of the coffin. Ben enters and asks if it's done. I couldn't, says Joshua. Ben didn't hear a shot and seems pleased. "He was my son and heir," says Joshua, "whatever has happened to him, I couldn't forget that." He orders Ben to confine Barnabas to his coffin forever--he learned in Boston that if a silver cross is affixed to the inside of the lid, facing him, Barnabas will be immobile--using the silver bullets would have meant his final destruction. The alternative is dangerous, adds Joshua--if someone gets into the secret room and frees him, Barnabas will roam the world again. Ben feels that will never happen. It might, says Joshua. He has the cross, he wants Ben to affix it to the inside of the coffin lid, facing Barnabas, then bind the coffin with chains. Ben vows to do so. Try to forget, advises Joshua. Ben wants to, as does Joshua. They leave the secret room, Joshua hobbling like an old man.

Back at Collinwood, Joshua sits in the study, thinking Stokes must be finished.  Goodbye, Barnabas, he says in his mind, I hope you find peace--some kind of peace.
At the tomb, Ben is locking the final chain around the coffin. He, too, bids Barnabas goodbye, then closes the door for what he believes will be eternity. Ben enters the study. Joshua has him sit down; he wants to talk to him. I did everything I was told to, says Ben. He gives Joshua the key to the gate, and says it will never be opened again, until Joshua dies--and then never again. Joshua explains that he promised Barnabas that he would free Ben--to go wherever he chooses to go, and will give him a hundred dollars. This pleases Ben immensely, but Joshua assures him he earned it. Someone knocks at the door and Ben brings a letter to Joshua--the governor refuses to stay Miss Winters' execution. Vicki is going to the gallows--innocent. A sorrowful Joshua wishes he could help her, but there's nothing he can do. He looks sad, old and very depressed.

At the gaol, Vicki seems to pray. Peter is allowed in to see her and they hug. He thought they'd never see her again, but seeing him was her last request. They ask to be alone. They have five minutes before she's scheduled to be executed, and Vicki clings to Peter and he holds her close. They sit on her bunk, trying not to think about what's to happen. She wants him to convince the judges she killed Noah--she tried to tell them, but they refused to listen--Peter can't die for what she did. He asks her to stop talking and thinking about death--what were you like as a little girl? questions Peter--what was your favorite flower, color, music, best book you ever read, and the happiest time you ever had in your life? She smiles, delighted, and he's glad to see it. She wants to know all that about him, but they have so little time to get to know each other. They profess their love for each other, the first time she's said it--she was afraid to say it before, but not now. They kiss, lengthily. Vicki hears the jailers coming to get her. I swears I'll find you, vows Peter, and Vicki promises to remember. They hug one last time, but the jailer shows up to take her to the gallows. She and Peter exchange one last, loving look, and she says goodbye. They kiss once more, but the jailers separate them. I'll find you, Peter says again.
The gallows are tested with a heavy canvas bag. This set is very effective, foggy, dark and dismal. Vicki is led outside and stares with fear at the scene. She walks up to the gallows and is assisted up to the platform. The rope is placed around her neck. When asked, Vicki indicates that she wants a hood placed over her head, and this is done. She hears Peter's voice in her head, reminding her that he'll find her again. "May God have mercy on your unrepentant soul," says one of the jailers, and the platform falls under her feet. We see the rope swinging back and forth.

As a final, sad coda to this episode, we see Barnabas' coffin, chained.

NOTES: RIP Nathan Forbes, you SOB; good luck, Ben, you've earned it; Barnabas, I hope it's true vampires are in a state of suspended animation and you didn't wake up in that coffin, night after night, trapped, helpless and slowly going crazy. I can only imagine what a sad life Joshua led after all this?And we know from meeting Daniel as an adult in 1840 that Joshua didn't do such a great job fathering him, either.

So what happens now? Do Phyllis and Vicki exchange places? Will Peter and Vicki meet again? We already know Barnabas' fate--Willie releases him in 1967, something his father feared would happen.

I loved 1795/96. It's by far my favorite storyline, the only one that seems complete, with few open ends and a satisfying, if very sad, ending.

And now, without further ado, on to--or back to--1968!

Love, Robin

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: #0459/0460: Robservations 04/26/02: Finale
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2002, 05:56:07 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more Robin.  I think this last time period was one of the best.  It explained a lot and put together some of the pieces of the Collins family.

I love reading your posts here.  They're quite informative.  I can't always see every episode right now due to my schedule so this helps me out a lot.

I like keeping up on the episodes.  Since I can't record them I'd be lost if I got too far behind.  ;D

[shadow=red,left,300]ONWARD TO 1968!!!![/shadow]
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Daphne

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
Re: #0459/0460: Robservations 04/26/02: Finale
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2002, 06:46:11 PM »
The last episode almost made me cry  :'( Vicki isn't my fav char, but it just seemed sooo sad. I wish she hadn't taken the mask/cover/hood thingie, though. I would have loved 2 c what her face looked like......if it was calm and collected, like a this dreadful calm, or if she was panicking or something.....I would have been crying my eyes out, fighting the jailors or something. Anything 2 get away....not that it would help much, but still. I think Peter and Vicki are cuuute *pinches cheeks* That's so sad...."You somehow traveled time and found me, I'll find you again. Remember that, Vicki." AAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I was like "*TEAR* THAT'S......SOOOOOOO.....SAAAAAAD!!!! *tear*" The scene with Joshua and Barnabus makes me sad, 2. This whole timeline is sooo depressing!! Millicent is the only funny one, and she's like...........insane! Does anyone realize the death count here is like..15?? SHEESH. I'm sorta glad 2 b going back 2 1968....I mean, I loved this timeline, and even if there's like NOOOOOOOOOOOO NB in 1968, at least people aren't just dropping like flies there, ya know? How sad!!  :'(  Anyway.......more rambling lol

*~*
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^