Author Topic: #0487/0488: Robservations 05/17/02: Desperate Measures  (Read 1278 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0487/0488: Robservations 05/17/02: Desperate Measures
« on: May 16, 2002, 08:47:01 PM »
487 - Julia paces the drawing room, smoking, on edge. It must be close to seven, she says, and everyone will wake up--Mrs. Johnson will walk through that door before anyone else does, just as in my dream, and I'll have to tell her about the dream, and the curse will continue. If Mrs. Johnson comes in, I can't tell her--can I? A knock at the door. Julia orders whoever it is to go away. "No, come in, whoever you are," Julia says, prepared for whatever is to come.

It's only Vicki, who notices how very relieved Julia is to see it's her and no one else. Julia admits she was talking to herself. Vicki asks why she wanted her to go away--she thought her someone else? Julia doesn't want to discuss it. Vicki gazes soberly at the older woman, observing how early she is up, noting all the cigarette butts in the ashtray--she didn't know Julia smoked. I stopped, then went back, explains Julia--it calms my nerves. Vicki asks if something is wrong, but Julia says nothing she can talk about. Julia asks about Stokes--is he an expert on the occult?
Vicki says he seems to be, he's strange, but she has his card--Arrowhead Road is where he lives. Julia hastens to go there, leaving Vicki puzzled at the doctor's haste. On her way out, Julia opens the door to a nattily-dressed Jeff Clark, but although he greets her in a friendly manner, she, preoccupied, doesn't return it. Vicki is glad to see Jeff, who thanks her for arranging for him to live at the Evans cottage. She almost calls him Peter and apologizes. He wishes he were who she wants him to be, and she tells him not to say that, caressing his face. As Vicki pours coffee, he asks if he did anything to offend Julia, describing how she passed him without saying a word--unusual. Vicki tells him Julia's behavior might be tied to the death of Dr. Lang, and Jeff is stunned to hear of the man's heart attack--and pleased. Vicki said it was sudden. He kept things from me, says Jeff, secrets--now I can go to Lang's office and find out everything about myself--I know where his files are. It's very important, he tells Vicki, he must know who and what he is--and what he's done.
He says this may be the most important day of his life, and he, too, leaves quickly.

Stokes' home - Julia apologizes to Stokes for bothering him so early, but he says not to apologize, people rarely mean them, so he detests them. (love this guy!) She introduces herself, calling him blunt, and he says he's hostile to strangers--part of his nature. She tells him she lives at Collinwood; Vicki said he might help her. He is interested in the supernatural, he says. Julia tells him she believes she's one of the victims of a curse. She describes her terrifying dream, then tells him others have had it, and it goes one step further with each dreamer. It started with Maggie, then Jeff, and there's a terrible compulsion to tell the next person about the dream. Then it went to Dr. Lang, with whom it went one step further, and then Julia herself had the dream last night. Stokes finds this interesting.
It makes sense to him--he's read of a Dream Curse. The objects of the curse are the instruments through which the curse was carried out. The curse usually ends in sudden death, which is what Julia feared he was going to say. He asks her to describe the dream to him, but she fears doing so, afraid he'll have it. She explains that Mrs. Johnson is next in line, and she feels she'll go mad if she doesn't tell her, but she wants to stop the dream. He asks if Mrs. Johnson is the object of the curse, and Julia says no, she thinks she knows who, but can't tell Mrs. Johnson. She's trying to save someone, suggests Stokes, someone she cares a great deal about. Julia admits this, her face going soft. I don't know if I can save him, she cries.

Lang's house - Barnabas stares at a clock. Where is Julia? he frets. They must do the experiment, each lost second is precious! He can feel himself reverting, it's going to happen unless they go ahead right away. If he becomes what he was, he'll lose Vicki forever. I need you, Julia! (sure, use poor, besotted Julia) Where are you? The clock relentlessly ticks on. 2:20. Barnabas plays with a lighter. He hears someone come in and sees it's Jeff. They each ask what the other is doing there, and Barnabas says he was helping Julia sort out Lang's belongings. Jeff says he came there to get something, and barges past Barnabas, who says Jeff has no right to be here. Jeff says he has as much right to be there as Barnabas. Perhaps, says Barn. Jeff asks him to give him a few minutes alone in the living room. When Barnabas refuses, Jeff pulls out a pocket knife and begins breaking into a filing cabinet. Barnabas demands to know what he's doing--this belongs to Lang and he won't let Jeff steal from him. Barnabas grabs Jeff's arm, wanting to order him out, but Jeff insists he has to do this. Get out, orders Barn, but Jeff tells him he's going to have to throw him out. Barnabas says he isn't strong enough to fight him, unfortunately, and Jeff says to leave him alone then. Jeff succeeds in opening the cabinet; Barnabas asks what he's looking for. Records about me, replies Jeff--Lang withheld information I needs to know. Turning honest, Jeff tells Barnabas he was in a mental institution. Barnabas knew this, Lang told him. I had amnesia, says Jeff, and Lang kept my life from me--I need that information. Barnabas watches Clark search the file. Jeff smiles, big. He did find something, he tells Barn, and it's good news. Barnabas caustically asks if Jeff is returning to Collinwood to share his good news with Vicki. I just might, responds Jeff. Leave her alone, orders Barnabas. Jeff asks what gives him the right to say that. Concern, says Barnabas--I'm very fond of Vicki. Jeff says he is, too. Barnabas doubts Jeff could make her happy--he's apparently very unstable. Jeff denies this. Barnabas defensively says all Jeff has to offer Vicki is his handsome face--and Vicki needs more. Jeff calls Barnabas transparent--he knows Barnabas is jealous, don't deny it. Barnabas won't deny anything. Jeff knew Vicki was going to marry Barnabas and changed her mind, and while he can't do anything about that, he can tell Barnabas to stay off his back. Barn threatens to tell Vicki about Jeff's contribution to Lang's experiment, and Jeff reminds him he can turn the tables on that score. Barnabas frowns as Jeff tells him to face the facts--he and Vicki are falling in love, there's nothing he can do, so leave them alone.
"Get out of here," Barnabas snarls, and Jeff agrees to go. Barnabas stares after the closed door, looking like a little boy whose puppy has been stolen.

Jeff twirls Vicki around in his arms in Collinwood's foyer. He tells her he read Lang's dossier, which said "No homicidal tendencies." Lang lied about him, making him think himself a murderer, reveals Jeff. When he was found wandering Portsmouth, three women were found strangled. Jeff had rope in his pocket , and Lang told him he was the one responsible. Lang needed a hold over him, explains Jeff, but can't explain what that hold was--he's free to love Vicki. They kiss enthusiastically.

Lang's house - Julia gives Barnabas another injection. They aren't effective, he complains, they must do the experiment now! They can't, she says. Time is running out, he protests. She tells him she has to read Lang's papers, notes, files, learn everything before attempting the experiment. She's doing all she can, she says, and he accuses her of believing the experiment won't be successful. He agrees with her--it will fail, and he will revert to what he was, wandering the earth alone, killing, destroying, forever. He has only a few minutes left to be a human being, he laments, and those moments are precious. She is well aware of that, she sighs. He stares forlornly at the clock.

NOTES: So now that Lang's written word declares him not a murderer, Jeff feels ready to love Vicki. Whatta guy! I still have to wonder where her feelings for Burke went. Devlin was a much better catch, too! Barnabas despises Clark, and probably wishes him dead, but he has other problems at the moment--is it true that he will perish soon? Doesn't he believe that last injection will work long enough to keep him until they try the experiment again?

I was so glad Julia turned to Stokes for help. He seems so capable, and I love his marvelous sense of humor. He's such a fun character--erudite but not stuffy.

488 - Julia prepares a blood-red injection. She administers it to Adam's lifeless body and tells Barnabas it will prevent the body from decomposing (How? There's no blood to pump it around, is there?). She can't give the creature anymore, however, only Lang knew what was in the fluid, and she just gave him the last, a massive dosage that should prevent any chemical change for some time. She doesn't know how long, but when Barnabas insists, she says within 24 hours. This upsets Barnabas, he doesn't like the short time frame and fears reverting to what he was. He gazes at his reflection in an overhead mirror, fearing it will be the last time he will see himself.
They can't waste anymore time, says Barnabas, but Julia says she doesn't know enough to do it. Lang's experiment failed, and she must learn why. She has to read everything Lang left behind. Barnabas says he's depending on her, and tells her how desperate he is. Julia explodes, ordering him to leave her alone, please, please! He notices how upset she is and is surprised at her loss of control. She must tell him--it's hard for her to function because she had a dream last night--the same dream Lang had the night before he died. Lang had the dream and told her, then she had it, and it terrified her, and she can't think about anything else. She needs to tell Mrs. Johnson her dream, but can't, it's a dream curse, which she learned of from Prof. Stokes. The dream curse will end in a sudden death. "My death?" guesses Barn, and Julia admits that's possible. Barnabas explains that Angelique came to him and warned him to beware of dreams--she's the cause of this, and it's the way the curse will be returned to him. Julia wants to prevent that from happening, she'll break the curse by not telling Mrs. Johnson her dream. Then you'd better stay away from her, advises Barn, and Julia says so far, she has--even though telling her would be enormous relief and enable her to concentrate on the experiment. (Way to be sympathetic Barn, but he doesn't understand the pull of this dream.) Barnabas asks if she can be ready in time to conduct the experiment, and Julia admits she isn't sure--I just don't know. Barnabas gazes at the body on the table in consternation.

Julia shows Barnabas that Lang wasn't sure about the amount of voltage to use, and if she increases the voltage. . .there are so many unknowns, she frets, she can't comprehend. Barnabas suggests Lang was trying to tell her to increase the voltage, but she doesn't think that. He said there was a connection between Barn and the creation, and kept repeating "listen" several times. The tape recorder, she realizes, perhaps she is supposed to listen and hear his notes. She rewinds the tape and listens, hearing nothing but classical music. This isn't it, they realize, but what did Eric mean? She heads to the study to examine some journals, but before she goes, Barnabas remarks how handsome the creature is, and if by some miracle the experiment works. Adam has a handsome face, says Barnabas, to which Julia responds, sadly, "because of Vicki." Jeff Clark is younger, points out Barnabas, but Julia evenly respond that some women that wouldn't make a difference. Barnabas looks at her and she looks away, and he takes the trouble to tell her he appreciates everything she's done. He touches her shoulder and adds that, whether they succeed or fail, he wants to know how much he appreciates everything. Unable to deal with his saying that, Julia turns away. She's going to the study, is he coming? Yes, and right after they both go, the music on the still-running tape recorder stops and we hear Eric's final words about the connection between Barnabas and Adam.
The camera focuses on Adam as Eric says, "If Adam dies, Barnabas Collins will be as he was before." Eric's message ends and the music plays on.

Evans cottage - Stokes comes to see Maggie and gives her his card--he urgently needs to speak to her. She invites him to sit down. She's puzzled, wondering what this stranger wants. He heard about her terrifying dream from Julia Hoffman--she's had the same dream, as have a number of other people. He asks her to tell him everything she remembers about the dream, but she just wants to forget the horror of it. Force yourself--it's a matter of life and death, he explains--it's part of a dream curse, which is perpetrated by a series of dreams--the chain must be broken or someone will die. That's incredible, declares Maggie, but he says he's an expert in the occult, and he thinks he can stop the dream. He needs to know about her dream--she may be saving a human life. Standing over a lamp that makes her look very pretty, Maggie describes her dream to Stokes. She recites the riddle to him.
(It's bad enough watching these dreams, but listening to them being rehashed is really torturous.) Maggie nearly bursts into tears, and Stokes apologizes for putting her through this. She tells him how she felt like she was going mad until she told Jeff her dream. She hasn't thought about the dream again until now. "Through sight" was the first part of the curse, says Stokes, that makes sense. Not to Maggie, who doesn't WANT to understand it. Best if you don't, agrees Stokes. He's closing in on a dangerous, fascinating secret.

Barnabas watches the clock strike, looking morose. Stokes comes to Lang's house looking for Julia. She isn't here, says Barnabas, but Stokes saw her car in the driveway. Barnabas admits she is there, but can't come out right now. It doesn't matter, says Stokes, I really want to speak to you, anyway. He accuses Barnabas of hiding a secret--and I know what it is. (This must make Barn want to leave a skid mark in his shorts.) Barnabas invites him in and asks Stokes what's going on. Stokes says Barnabas knows witchcraft is being practiced at Collinwood and knows who the witch is. He came to him for a talisman, a protection against witches. Who is the witch? Barnabas isn't sure he should tell him, what would he gain? My help, says Stokes. He believes someone is the victim of a dream curse, it could be anyone, even Barnabas. Why me? asks Barn. The point is, says Stokes, I think I can break the curse, and you must tell me who the witch is--you have no other choice. Barn shilly-shallies a while longer, but finally breaks down and admits it's Cassandra Collins. Stokes seems surprised, "For reasons of my own," says the professor, seeming shaken. (remember, she was his student.) Stokes thanks him for the truth and heads out. Barnabas is shocked by the abruptness of the man's departure.

Julia works in the lab. She checks the body, notebook in hand. Barnabas tells her Stokes stopped by. He got rid of him but told him about Cassandra being a witch. Julia thinks that a mistake--Cassandra met Roger at Stokes' house--who knows how close they are? Barnabas says Professor Stokes strongly resembles Ben Stokes, who was, at one time, Angelique's slave. What if this Stokes is also under her power? (now he thinks about this?) He might tell Cassandra she saw Barnabas there tonight and she might find out about the experiment. Julia points out Prof. Stokes might be exactly what he appears to be.
This makes Barnabas more anxious to escape Cassandra, and the only way he can is by transferring his life force into the body--if it doesn't work, he'll never escape her--never!

NOTES: A desperate Barnabas tends to take desperate measures, and that never works out well for him. I think he can trust Stokes, but can understand why he has his doubts. Why, then, did he tell him who the witch is?

I guess you can tell I'm not exactly enamored of this storyline. The dream curse just didn't appeal to me after the first time I saw it. Wondering what was going to appear behind the doors was cool during the first viewing, but the special effects were awful and comical--and they always played DS seriously, so the mood is wrecked for me.

Barnabas finally throws poor Julia a bone and thanks her for everything she's doing for him. He knows it's out of love, the SOB, but he's taking advantage because he has no one else to turn to for this very important experiment. She's suffering through the effects of the dream curse plus trying to go through what must be voluminous notes of Lang's. I think she deserves more than just his thanks!

Love, Robin