Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 115881 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #660 on: February 20, 2021, 06:44:01 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #551 (1968) - Nicholas - 'Now, you do understand what you must do?'

From "Robservations 7/8/02 - Adam Learns His Origins - #550/551"
Adam nods with pleasure, and Nicholas tells him to remember what he must do. It has to remain their secret, and Carolyn can't know; she might not understand.
[/spoiler]

Nicholas actually asks Adam if he understands what he must do rather than if he remembers it, but at least the Robservations does reference that Adam must do something. Sadly, though, what it turns out he must do marks the beginning of the ruination of Adam's character under Nicholas' tutelage...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 21, 2021, 05:06:55 PM »
It struck me as a bit odd that Jenny appeared to Chris in her mad woman guise -

Oops - I forgot to share that screen cap for anyone who might have missed it:

- when she appeared quite differently when her ghost appeared to Quentin and Magda in 1897.

You're not alone.

Maybe because Marie Wallace was playing Megan in the same episode?

That's a good possibility. But with this show who knows? Maybe they thought that at first Jenny could have been conscientious about keeping up her afterlife appearance but then she just decided to let it lapse.  [snow_wink] [snow_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 21, 2021, 09:12:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #646 (1968) - David - 'During the day we MUST attend to something else.'

From "Robservations 9/13/02 #645/646 - The Kids "Play" With Roger"
David touches her shoulder and asks if she's thinking of letting him do this all alone. Of course not, she assures him. Good, says David, because I'll need your help, Beth--you must talk to Roger, but not until tomorrow night--during the day, we have other responsibilities
[/spoiler]

The Robservations paraphrases the quote rather than reference what is actually said...

As an aside, this ep contains a continuity error. Not that those are anything new on DS. But the one here is sort of amusing because, when first seen in Ep #645 the skeleton David and Amy find in Quentin's room has a full head of hair, but when seen in Ep #646 it's completely bald.

But maybe we're not supposed to notice that. DC, for one, probably thought everyone in the audience would be too dumb to notice.  [snow_rolleyes]

And not only is this the second quote from this ep, it's the second quote from this scene. The first (David - 'My family has made the two of us very unhappy. They MUST be made to realize that. They MUST pay for what they've done to us') was back on October 10th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 23, 2021, 04:14:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #2 (1966) - Carolyn - 'All I can say for her, Mother, is she MUST be out of her mind.'

From "0001/0002: Robservations 05/17/01:Vicki Comes to Collinwood"
We can't always get everything we want, says Liz. I'm going to try, says Carolyn--please, stop trying to marry me off--OK?--besides, how do you expect me to go away and leave you alone in this beautiful nut house? She gestures to all that's around them. I won't be, says Liz, not anymore. You mean she actually came? asks Carolyn excitedly. A few minutes ago, says Liz--she's a nice girl, you'll like her very much. Carolyn shakes her head and says all she can say for her is that she must be out of her mind.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote pretty well...

And this is the fourth quote from this ep, currently tying with Ep #678 for most quotes from an ep. The first (Liz: 'You MUST have asked the wrong person') was back on April 2nd, the second (Vicki - 'Forty rooms! You MUST need an awful lot of people to help you take care of it') was back on September 20th, and the third (Roger - 'If Elizabeth says so, then it MUST be true') was back on November 1st.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 23, 2021, 10:02:09 PM »
Great shot (and line quote) of Magda today!

I watched an episode a few nights ago where Quentin wanted to summon Angelique, and Magda warned him: "She could be anywhere on Earth ... OR (dramatic pause) IN ... HELLLLL!" It was such a great moment.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 24, 2021, 09:06:30 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #719 (1897) - Magda - 'Anyone who believes in voodoo MUST believe in me.'

From "Robservations 11/7/02 - #718/719 - Barnabas & Angelique in the Tower"
He orders her to stop lecturing him, then nervously asks if she still sees the mask of death on him. She nods. He thinks she is making it up to frighten/punish him. I don't say that lightly, she assures him. He claims if she can see that, she knows who will kill him and how. It's gone, she says. So it conveniently disappeared just as I was about to force you to tell me everything you know? he says. You can think that if you want, she retorts. He grabs her arm and demands to know--who will kill me--Barnabas? One minute you make fun of me, the next you're frantic with fear, says Magda--you must believe in my power, she says triumphantly--whoever believes in voodoo must believe in me. He admits, you did see it, I believe you--when and how did it happen? he demands. He grabs and twists her arm to force the information from her. (such a bully!)
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly - almost because Magda actually says "anyone" but the Robservations says "whoever."

Also, Magda doesn't say "You must believe in my power" - if she had, I would have included that as part of the quote. What she actually says is "You believe in my power. You have to."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 24, 2021, 11:42:04 PM »
Great shot (and line quote) of Magda today!

And here's the screen cap for anyone who may have missed it:

I watched an episode a few nights ago where Quentin wanted to summon Angelique, and Magda warned him: "She could be anywhere on Earth ... OR (dramatic pause) IN ... HELLLLL!" It was such a great moment.

I don't remember that line. How I could have forgotten such a great line, I don't know - but like I said, it's impossible to remember every moment, no matter how great each may be. But that being said, that is so totally a classic Magda line!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 25, 2021, 05:22:33 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #308 (1967) - Sam - 'You MUST know something-- you MUST have some lead.'

From "#0307/0308: Robservations 01/09/02: Vicki Puts Her Foot Down"
They decide to go question Barnabas at the Old House (it's daytime), and only find Julia Hoffman. Skeptical Sam isn't very friendly towards her. She insists she's just trying to maintain her disguise as an historian and is still trying to help Maggie, but hasn't come up with anything yet.
Sam doesn't believe her
[/spoiler]

As I said when this sequence popped up in the slideshow once before, it's really unfortunate that the Robservations doesn't go into it in detail. But the fact that it's come up again does give me a chance to go into detail when it comes to the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's quote. So what happens after Sam and Joe have discovered Julia at the Old House and Sam has questioned how long it's going to take to put the pieces together when it comes to what happened to Maggie, Julia opines that it will take until the puzzle is complete and they know the whole story. But Sam doesn't honestly think that she'll find all the little pieces. He doesn't want her to get him wrong because he appreciates all the time that she's spending without any remuneration but he thinks it's all hopeless. However, Julia feels they'll never know until they've tried everything. But then Sam wonders if, with all the effort she's been putting in, she actually must know something, she must have some lead, as he says in the quote. And after Julia muses that she really wishes she did, Sam blurts out that he's just decided that he doesn't believe her. (Commercial break)

And obviously, since this sequence has popped up in the slideshow before, Wednesday's was not the first time Ep #308 or this sequence has been in the slideshow. The first quote (Julia - 'These pieces MUST be collected in any way possible, however unorthodox it might seem.') was back on May 14th.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 25, 2021, 09:17:08 PM »
That scene with Sam and Joe encountering Julia at the Old House really is priceless. Nice capture of her in the Robs.

Today's scene reminds me of that old chart-buster with the refrain, "Go ask Julia ... feed your head."

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 27, 2021, 12:36:10 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #462 (1968) - Julia - 'In the meantime you MUST have some rest. Here, take this and you'll rest.'

From "#0461/0462: Robservations 04/29/02: 1968 - Julia Sports a New 'Do"
Vicki feels a bit better. Julia advises her to stay in bed, but Vicki feels she must find something, make sense of what happened. It wasn't a dream, says Julia, but Vicki must prove it to herself. Julia promises to help her, and gives her a sedative. Julia has business in town.
[/spoiler]

At least the Robservations references the essence of the quote if not the actual quote...

And Thursday's was not the first quote from Ep #462 or even the first quote from this sequence. The first with regard to both (Vicki - 'I MUST go to him and you can't stop me!') was back on December 15th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 27, 2021, 05:06:00 PM »
That scene with Sam and Joe encountering Julia at the Old House really is priceless.

Yes, I love how Sam and Julia lob comments back and forth. Sam loses his cool eventually, but Julia remains cool as a cucumber throughout. And as I said before when this sequence came up:
I especially love how after Sam storms off and she assures Joe she's doing all she can and he leaves, Julia repeats that she's doing all she can with an absolutely priceless smile -

- and, of course, the audience is fully aware that she not talking about Maggie but talking about protecting Barnabas...

Nice capture of her in the Robs.

I can't take credit for that because back then I used screen capturing software to randomly take caps as the eps played - I didn't take screen caps directly unless there was something really special I wanted to include but the software had missed it. However, in the case of that cap in the Robs, I remember being quite pleased that the software had gotten it.

Today's scene reminds me of that old chart-buster with the refrain, "Go ask Julia ... feed your head."

Yes - and the screen cap definitely captures Julia in a pose we've seen so often on the show that -

- I suspect most of us have lost count as to how often we've seen it!  [snow_laugh]

That scene is also notable as the last time we see Grayson wearing the "football helmet" wig.  [snow_strange]  (And if it wasn't for that wig, we'd see a lot more of her face in that screen cap.  [snow_angry])

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 27, 2021, 08:58:25 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #199 (1967) - Maggie - 'The money MUST have been hard to resist.'

From "#0198/0199: Robservations 10/10/01: Bitter Truths Revealed"
Evans cottage - Tears in her voice, Maggie asks Sam why. Not for myself, he says, but for you and your mother. Those two years before Maggie's mother died, she was sick, they desperately needed money.
They couldn't live off what he made, couldn't keep alive, he found a way to make easy money, a lot of money. And you took it, says Maggie. Yes, says Sam, and if that makes me weak, I'm weak. The money must have been hard to resist, she comments. Hard, says Sam in an almost angry voice, impossible, it meant so much to all of them.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And Friday's was not the first quote from Ep #199 or even the first quote from this sequence. The first with regard to both (Sam - 'Roger MUSTA seen me because he came to the house the next morning and offered me $15,000 for the paintings.') was back on May 3rd.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 01, 2021, 12:00:02 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #846 (1897) - Edward - 'The coffin MUST be chained-- the cave MUST be sealed-- he MUST remain here forever.'

From "Robservations 3/11/03 - #846/847 - Charity's Deed Spreads to All"
Tim and Edward go to the cave.  "To think that his life would end here," comments Edward regretfully, "in a dismal cave."  He opens the coffin and looks inside, then closes it again.  "Barnabas Collins is dead--may he rest in peace," says Edward--the coffin must be chained, the cave sealed, insists Edward--he must remain here forever.  He and Tim leave the cave.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote nearly perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: March 01, 2021, 06:46:43 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #465 (1968) - Vicki - 'There's something I MUST do first.'

From "#0465/0466: Robservations 05/01/02: Elopement, Interrupted; Mad Doc"
Vicki awakens calling, "Peter!" Barnabas is there, demanding to know who Peter is. "Someone I met a long time ago," she says. Someone you cared for, Barn asks. Yes, she responds. Forget him, orders the vampire. I'm trying, she says. You knew I was coming tonight, he reminds her--are you ready to leave now? She moves away from him, upset. No, there's something I have to do first, to get peace--I must know if what happened during the seance really happened or was just a dream.
[/spoiler]

This Robservations is amusing by virtue of the fact that it uses "have to" where the show uses "must" and it uses "must" where the show doesn't even use "have to" or any variant thereof. Therefore, obviously it doesn't reference the quote anywhere near perfectly, but it does get the quote's point across well...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Joe - 'Someone MUST have lost it in the old courthouse - and the most likely person to have lost it would be you') was back on August 17th.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: March 01, 2021, 11:11:12 PM »
Hi MB,

Great shots in response #669! That's our Julia.

The "football helmet wig" (I don't recall ever hearing it described that way before) did come out of the mothballs for a Maggie flashback sequence in 1968. I remember being very surprised that they went to the trouble of trying to get the hair and clothes right for that, and for some of the other scenes of Maggie's flashbacks during that period.

Excelsior!

G.
[Fast Delivery]