Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 117602 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2020, 03:06:01 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

YES! YES!! YES!!! It's THE PENS!!!!

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #95 (1966) - James Blair - 'You MUST have a fondness for fountain pens--you've hardly taken your eyes off it.'

From "#0095/0096: Robservations 07/27/01: Roger or Burke?"
Blair asks Vicki if she's from Collinwood. No, I'm not from Collinsport, she says, but I work there--at a house called Collinwood. (He made a blooper.) Collinwood? he asks--I didn't know Mr. Devlin was friendly with anyone from that house--I only know Mr. Devlin in a business way. What business are you in? she asks. I have an interest in several business--jack of all trades, he says--would you excuse me if I sign some of these contracts. Vicki notices that he's signing with an exact replica of the pen she lost. Noticing she's staring, he asks if anything is wrong. No, I was looking at your pen, she says. It's a beauty, isn't it? asks Blair. Yes, agrees Vicki. Mr. Devlin gave it to me, says Blair--noting the way she's staring at it, Blair remarks that she must have a fondness for fountain pens--you've hardly taken your eyes off it. It's strange, I found one just like it, she says, at a place called Lookout Point. I don't think that's possible, he says--there are only six of these in existence, and four are in South America. South American? Asks a surprised Vicki. Yes, that's where Mr. Devlin bought it, says Blair, including the one he has--I don't think there's another like it in this country. I found an exact duplicate of that, says Vicki. Maybe you found Mr. Devlin's pen--he could have lost it, suggests Blair.
Oh no, I'm sure it's not Burke's, it couldn't be--because... Don't you think you'd better mention it to him, just in case? Asks Blair--if he has lost it, I'm sure he'll want it back--these pens are expensive.
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2020, 03:42:58 PM »
I love today's photo. Miss Hoffman at her most insidiously reassuring. Of course Sam and Joe don't really buy any of it, but from what I recall, she manages to talk them into not rocking the boat for a while longer.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2020, 04:00:04 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #308 (1967) - Julia - 'These pieces MUST be collected in any way possible, however unorthodox it might seem.'

From "#0307/0308: Robservations 01/09/02: Vicki Puts Her Foot Down"
They decide to go question Barnabas at the Old House (it's daytime), and only find Julia Hoffman. Skeptical Sam isn't very friendly towards her. She insists she's just trying to maintain her disguise as an historian and is still trying to help Maggie, but hasn't come up with anything yet.
Sam doesn't believe her, calls her "the master of the evasive answer," and stalks away, leaving Joe to apologize for him.
[/spoiler]

Sadly, Robservations doesn't include any sort of reference to today's quote, but Julia delivers it as she's explaining how she's trying to help Maggie. It's really unfortunate that Robservations doesn't go into this sequence in detail because it's one of my favorites for the ways in which David Ford and especially Grayson Hall play it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2020, 04:14:05 PM »
I love today's photo. Miss Hoffman at her most insidiously reassuring.

I especially love how after Sam storms off and she assures Joe she's doing all she can and he leaves, Julia repeats that she's doing all she can with an absolutely priceless smile -

- and, of course, the audience is fully aware that she not talking about Maggie but talking about protecting Barnabas...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2020, 02:52:28 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #388 (1795) - Trask - 'The devil MUST be exorcised from your body, and his handmaiden MUST be captured.'

From "#0388/0389: Robservations 03/08/02: To Save a Child"
It's Josette's turn to be interrogated, and Trask is clearly smitten by how pretty she is. She barely knew Miss Winters, she says, so his insistence that the governess is the witch and meant her harm seems to make no sense. He gazes at the pitchfork on Josette's hand, the devil's brand, he calls it, and says the devil wants to entice her. The brand comes and goes, she explains, and she does feel differently when it's there than when it isn't. She is being possessed by the devil, Trask says, and he must exorcise it from her!
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2020, 03:18:08 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #612 (1968) - Angelique - 'You MUST not disobey me.'

From " Robservations 8/20/02 - #612/613 - Barnabas, Joe and Angelique"
In the woods, Barnabas hears the howling of the dogs. "I hear you calling me," he says. "Why don't you appear?" Looking especially lovely, Angelique does. Why did you summon me? he asks. I'm very angry at you, you disobeyed me, the vampire says--you allowed Joe to live. How do you know? wonders Barnabas. Never mind, I just do, she says--I ordered you to destroy him and you didn't do it. I couldn't, says Barnabas--I couldn't let him die. I told you he WOULD die--you must not disobey me, she says sternly. I have to, he says. "You won't," she says, "You can't, and I'll see that you don't." No, says Barnabas. "Joe Haskell will die," she says, "and you will be responsible." "Me?" asks Barnabas, his face twisting with horror.
"Yes," she says, delightedly, "I want you to be the guilty one. I want you to kill Joe Haskell and live with the guilt for eternity."
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2020, 04:51:26 AM »
Psycho Vampilique was so scary! Great photo!

Thanks MB!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2020, 03:16:08 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #779 (1897) - Carl - 'There's a coffin in there, I swear it--you MUST believe me!'

From "Robservations 1/23/03 - #778-779 - One Hand Clapping"
Carl enters, in a frenzy, commanding that Quentin get rid of Magda--I won't speak in front of her.  She chucks Carl under the chin and asks, don't you like me anymore?  Carl turns away and says, just go, please.  It's always a pleasure to leave this house, says Magda--Quentin, Barnabas wants to see you this evening, at dusk.  Carl reacts--dusk, yes!  He asks Quentin, where are Judith and Edward?  Both are dreaming of Judith's money (funny), says Q.  We must wake them, says Carl, we must do something.  Do what? asks Quentin--there are so many things waiting, such a choice.  Not about this, says Carl--sometimes I wishes I hadn't had the dream--the one where Pansy told me the vampire isn't dead.  Dream again, says Q--Edward described the staking of Dirk in great, graphic detail.  No, says Carl, not Dirk, there's another, Pansy said so in my dream--she said who made Dirk a vampire.  Laura, guesses Quentin.  No, says Carl--I can prove it--I saw the vampire go to his coffin--I know you won't believe this.  Quentin suggests, you've gone mad.  No, says Carl--Pansy told me to go to the mausoleum--there's a coffin there, I swear it--you must believe me--I know who the vampire is!  Tell me, demands Quentin.  "Barnabas," says Carl.  Quentin tips his head back and laughs; his laughter fades as realization strikes him--Our cousin we never see during the day, who always appears at dusk, says Q.
[/spoiler]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2020, 03:45:03 PM »
I keep forgetting to post a piece of trivia regarding the May 11th's installment in the slideshow. Most probably already know this, but for those who still might not, you might be surprised to find out that the role of 1840's Randall Drew was originally created for Don Briscoe. Unfortunately, though, he was unable to play it...

Wow, this is definitely news to me, MB. Now I will forever be lamenting what could have been. [ghost_sad]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2020, 03:47:30 PM »
I will forever be lamenting what could have been. [ghost_sad]

Indeed...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2020, 04:04:04 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #979 (1970) - Nicholas - 'You MUST revenge this--Jeb Hawkes MUST die!'

From " Robservations 6/12/03 - #978-979 - Barnabas Turns to Ang; Widows' Hill Again"
Sky returns to Nicholas, gazing in consternation at the body. A ghost rises from it, stands, and says, Sky, you are alone now--all alone!--but I will help you, you must avenge this--Jeb Hawkes must die!  Sky nods, eager to comply.
[/spoiler]

I know so many of us are deeply disappointed that Sky doesn't appear in today's screen cap. Right? ... [b003]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2020, 03:54:57 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1022 (1970PT) - Buffie - 'You MUST think I'm some kind of a fool.'

From "#1022/1023: Robservations 07/16/03: Yaeger Lusts For Maggie"
Lab - We see the cute little lab animals in their cages. Cyrus looks through a microscope. You're always working and I'm always interrupting you, says Buffie--listen here, when I get something on my mind, I can't get it off--I mean not until I've settled it, at least--you know where John Yaeger is. I'm afraid I don't, insists Cyrus. You know a lot more than you're letting on, she says, and for some reason won't tell me--you must think I'm a fool--what kind of work could Yaeger do for you?--if he picked up a test tube, he'd break it. Cyrus finally raises his head from the microscope and looks at her, calling he "Miss Harrington." You used to call me Buffie, she reminds him (when)?  Whatever association I had with Yaeger is strictly between us, says Cyrus. Buffie pursues--no it's not--you know what I think?--I guessed what he does for you--he LIVES! WHAT? demands Cyrus. Yes, he lives while you work, says Buffie--he's having a ball while you're making pretty colors in those test tubes.
[/spoiler]

And the Robservations version of today's quote is somewhat different from what is actually said...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2020, 03:22:03 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1064 (1995) - Barnabas - 'We simply MUST know what happened.'

From "#1064/1065: Robservations 08/14/03: Madness & Death"
Mrs. Johnson paces the dark drawing room of the Old House. She looks out the window and sees Barnabas and Julia returning. They enter the house; he begins to light candles. Mrs. Johnson comes out and asks them, did Carolyn tell you anything?  Nothing at all, he says. You must not blame her, says Mrs. Johnson, she's blocked it all out--too painful. We know that, says Barnabas, we didn't try to torment her--we simply must know what happened, who this spirit is and how it got control of Collinwood. Why? she asks, what good would it do, you can't prevent it, why add the burden of those sorrows? We were just trying to tell Carolyn that we CAN prevent it, explains Julia. Can prevent it?--you're as mad as she is! exclaims Mrs. Johnson. Look at u very carefully, urges Barnabas--you noted that we haven't changed since you saw us 25 years ago--some terrible disturbance in time brought us here.  And when we get back in 1970, says Julia, we can stop everything that's happening here.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2020, 04:04:11 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1126 (1840) - Lamar - 'My father's last remains MUST be found!'

From "#1125/1126: Robservations 09/29/03: A Headless Body; a Jeweled Mask"
Mr. Stiles, are you responsible for bringing Miss Faye to this establishment? asks Trask.  Yes, says Gerard, I am.  She has many powers which should be used for the good of man, says Trask.  I'm sure she would agree with you there, says Gerard.  Do you know if Barnabas Collins has talked with her recently? asks Trask.  Why would he? wonders Gerard.. There are many things, perhaps, that Barnabas Collins doesn't want brought to light, says Trask--he might try to dissuade her from doing what she should consider her duty--my father's last remains must be found!--you seem a good judge of character--what is you opinion of Barnabas Collins?  I have made none, sir, replies Gerard.  You are in an excellent position to find out much about him, says Trask.  Only if it is worth my while, says Gerard.  It can be, says Trask. Smiling, Gerard praises Trask's simplicity.  Then we do understand each other, grins Trask.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2020, 03:06:01 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1234 (1841PT) - Carrie - 'You MUST believe me!'

From "#1234/1235: Robservations 01/09/04: Grisly Discovery"
Cottage - I'm sorry, Melanie, for not being able to tell you more, says Carrie, unable to look directly at her.  I was so certain you knew, says Melanie--when you said the image was becoming clearer, I thought suddenly you saw my mother's face and was going to tell me.  Perhaps I would have if Julia hadn't walked in, says Carrie, but she did.  Yes, she did, says Melanie bitterly.  I'm terribly tired and would like to go to bed, says Carrie.  Why are you so upset? asks Melanie.  I'm not upset, I'm tired, I told you! says Carrie.  Are you keeping something from me? asks Melanie. No! says Carrie immediately--honestly, you must believe me!  Very well, says Melanie, I believe you
[/spoiler]