Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 115886 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2020, 03:08:29 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #17 (1966) - Bill - 'That's the way it MUST have been planned.'

From "#0017/0018: Robservations 05/30/01: David's Case of the Guilts"
Showing Roger a drawn diagram, Malloy explains the brakes run on hydraulic fluid and there's a master cylinder under the hood--the fluid's in there--when you step on the brake pedal, what you're doin' is forcing the fluid from the master cylinder to the separate cylinders on each brake, and that's what stops the car. Where does this piece come in? asks Roger. This piece, the bleeder valve, explains Malloy, was missing, and left a little hole where it should have been--and every time you stepped on the brake pedal, you forced a stream of hydraulic fluid out of that hole--do that a dozen times, there's no fluid left at all.
That's exactly what happened, says Roger--the brakes were working fine until I got about halfway down that hill. That's the way it must have been planned. I've got to be sure about this, says Roger--could this piece have come off by itself? Never heard of it happen, says Bill. Is it hard to remove? asks Roger. Easy with a wrench or a pair of pliers, says Malloy. Then that's it, says Roger--Devlin came to the house this afternoon and made arrangements for me to meet him in town tonight--what was to prevent him from going to the garage and tampering with my car to make sure I didn't get down that hill? Malloy rises from his chair and says it's possible, but neither of them can prove it.
[/spoiler]

Unfortunately, the Robservations doesn't make it completely clear that Bill delivers today's quote - but he does...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2020, 04:29:52 PM »
Great to see a shot of Bill Malloy today! I wish he'd been kept on the show longer. Apparently the actor is something of an enigma. I've read that almost no information exists about his life or career. Presumably a NYC stage actor.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2020, 07:40:26 PM »
That's very interesting that there's little information about Frank Schofield's life and career - I hadn't realized that. The sad thing is that if one was to judge by Art Wallace's Shadows on the Wall bible, Bill Malloy was originally intended to be a major character on the show - if I remember correctly, I think Bill was eventually going to have a romantic relationship with Liz, and there are hints of that in his eps. But, of course, things didn't work out that way, mostly due to a decision involving Roger/Louis Edmonds. When they decided not to kill off Roger, which was the original plan, Bill was sacrificed instead. I can't say I'm upset that they decided to keep Louis on the show because I can't even begin to imagine the original show without him. But it might have been interesting to see what Frank might have gotten to do if he'd lasted long enough to get to play other characters. I wonder if he was ever approached to return as another character? The fact that he didn't return could have been due to several reasons, though chief among them may have been that he was working another job or perhaps that he might not have left the show on the best of terms when he was expecting to be around a lot longer but had his contract option dropped so soon. Though, unlike other DS actors, I can't say I've ever seen where a character was created with him in mind but he ended up not playing it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2020, 01:52:03 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #204 (1967) - Willie - 'You MUST be Mrs. Stoddard's brother.'

From "#0204/0205: Robservations 10/15/01: Willie Goes Too Far"
Drawing room - Roger looks through the mail. Willie enters and introduces himself, saying he must be Mrs. Stoddard's brother. May I ask what you're doing in this house? asks Roger. I'm a houseguest, explains Willie. Invited by whom? asks Roger. Your sister, says Willie, it was nice of her to invite me, she's a gracious lady. Roger surveys him as if he were a cockroach, asking how long he's known his sister. Willie says since last night, Jason introduced them. In other words, says Roger in clipped tones, you're a guest of Mr. McGuire? I guess you could put it that way, says Willie, he and Jason have been friends a long time
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2020, 03:18:22 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #429 (1796) - Abigail - 'To save us all, we MUST bear much, we MUST use every power at our command, we...'

From "#0429/0430: Robservations 04/05/02: Come Back to Me!"
Collinwood, drawing room - Trask tells Abigail that the tragedies will continue to befall the Collins family as long as the witch lives.  She's angry the judge is prolonging the trial--could he possibly be under Miss Winters' influence? Trask doesn't think so--Bradford is the problem.  I have made repeated attempts to indicate his error, says Trask.  Make it clear to him that he cannot advance without the influence of our family, says Abigail.
Trask decides to pay Bradford a visit.  I wish we could find that book, says Abigail, to save us all, we must bear much.
[/spoiler]

As you can see, Robservations doesn't include the full quote...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2020, 04:34:58 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #466 (1968) - Dr. Lang - 'Mr. Collins, you and I MUST talk.'

From " #0465/0466: Robservations 05/01/02: Elopement, Interrupted; Mad Doc"
Lang makes sure the room is completely darkened and is sitting beside Barnabas as he awakens, asking where he is. He looks at Lang. "Who are you?" he asks. Dr. Eric Lang. Barnabas remembers the accident and is panic-stricken about Vicki. Lang assures him she's fine and will be released in a day. Barnabas tries to leave, but Lang orders him to stay here--you've had a lot of medicine and you're suffering from shock. Lie down, urges Lang. Barnabas asks the time. "Nearly four," answers Lang. Call Collinwood to send a car for me immediately, commands Barnabas.
Lang says, I've been trying to tell you--you've been injected with new and experimental drugs--I had no choice but to use them--you must stay so I can study the effects--this is vital to both of us. Only one thing is important to me, says Barnabas passionately. "To be home before dark?" asks Lang, upsetting Barnabas. Why are you asking--what do you know about me? demands Barn. You must stay in this room, says Lang, I must speak to you. "Tomorrow," insists Barnabas. "After dark?" counters Lang. "Then come to Collinwood," says Barnabas wearily.
[/spoiler]

Robservations paraphrases today's quote near the end of what I've shared...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2020, 03:52:00 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #731 (1897) - Laura - 'You've been drinking again. Oh I really MUST have you very worried.'

From 'Robservations 11/18/02 - #730/731 - Quentin and His "Dead" Mistress'
Quentin drunkenly sits by the fireplace and tells Angelique she made him a promise, and she owes it to him to keep it.  He helped her, now she must help him!  He sways around, pissed off.   Laura comes in, asking if he's taken to talking to himself--a very bad habit.  What are you doing Here? he demands.  I'm going to be staying in the cottage, didn't Edward tell you? she asks.  Yes, says Quentin, annoyed.  Are you up to your old occult tricks? she asks--if you're imploring your own dark deities to get rid of me, you can forget it, she says.  He walks toward her unsteadily.  "You're dead," he says.  She notes he's been drinking again, so she must really have him very worried.  I saw you die in Alexandria, he says, his face an inch from hers.  You imagined it, she insists.  Quentin, pouting, says I didn't--you're dead, aren't you?--answer!
[/spoiler]

I absolutely love Laura's scenes with Quentin. The chemistry between Diana Millay and David Selby is exceptional and their dialogue/insults just crackle. I once asked Diana Millay if they ever improvised any of it, but she insisted that it was always all on the page. A testament to how often the writing for 1897 was first rate...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2020, 03:42:16 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #281 (1967) - Vicki(possessed by Josette) - 'He MUSTN'T catch me!'

From "#0281/0282: Robservations 12/12/01: Josette Speaks Through Vicki"
Old House drawing room - As this ep begins, the seance is in full swing--Vicki is in a deep trance, apparently reliving the night Josette died. She IS Josette, being pursued by. . .who? "He's getting closer!" cries Vicki/Josette--"He mustn't catch me!" Liz and Barnabas are concerned (well, Barnabas is afraid he's going to be exposed) and try to stop what's happening. "I've got to jump!" gasps Vicki. Just when it seems Vicki/Josette is about to reveal who her pursuer is, Barnabas leaps from his chair and shouts, "NO!!!", putting a stop to Vicki's trance. She falls unconscious to the table.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2020, 03:38:24 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #545 (1968) - Cassandra - 'You MUST not die through magic--Nicholas would surely know that I was responsible.'

From "Robservations 7/1/02 - Stokes Demands Answers - #544/545"
Cassandra is listening to Lang's tape for the umpteenth time. She smiles as the music resumes, then turns off the recorder. She leaves the drawing room, weapon in hand, and goes to the West Wing, where Adam lies asleep. 2 AM - She finds the door locked, holds out her hand and opens it via witchcraft, with a gentle wave of her hand. She enters, gazes at Adam for a moment, and says to herself he must not die by magic or Nicholas will know she is responsible. She must kill him the human way-and so she raises an axe above his unsuspecting head.
[/spoiler]

Actually, we see both of Cassandra's hands while she is in the drawing room and at no point does she have any sort of weapon in hand. However, if one is observant, one will notice glimpses of the axe handle and blade as Cassandra approaches the door to Adam's room - but if one has no idea that she's going to have an axe later on, one might not even notice those glimpses because they're very minor. Nothing is given away...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2020, 12:18:14 AM »
Cassie Collins took an axe,
Give the monster 40 whacks...

Today's photo really deserves a special prize! Fabulous work MB!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2020, 04:12:10 PM »
Today's photo really deserves a special prize! Fabulous work MB!

I had a feeling you might like it (and here it is again -

- for those who may have missed it). However, I can only take partial credit for it because it was Midnite who selected all of this month's quotes, so if she didn't select that scene, I wouldn't have been able to do a capture of it.  [ghost_wink]

Cassie Collins took an axe,
Give the monster 40 whacks...

Love it! MPI should embroider it on pillows!!  [ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2020, 04:20:24 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #796 (1897) - Julianka - 'I MUST begin at the moment when the moon begins to descend to the earth, the moment before the moon disappears, for when it does, it MUST take the curse with it to the underside of time.'

From "Robservations 1/5/03 - #796/797 - Quentin's Bacon is Saved; Another Curse"
Barnabas lifts the box containing the hand and asks Julianka, how will you save Quentin--how?  You ask too many questions, complains Julianka.  I'm concerned for his safety, says Barn.  You still do not trust me? she asks.  I must know what will happen, he insists.  You can never know, she says--my great-grandmother took pity on Count Petofi, turned him back from wolf to man, and it's her secret I know, but I am the only one who will know it, until my daughter is born--"This hand and I are the only ones who know."  We tried to use the hand before, says Barn.  Yes, how brave you and Magda were, scoffs Julianka, holding the hand in hers--only I can guide the hand.  Must you use it? demands Barnabas.  Yes, and that's all I will say, says Julianka, returning the hand to the box--there is much to be done--this must be done the moment before the moon disappears, for when it does, it must take the curse with it to the underside of time.  Barnabas,  puzzled, says, I don't know where Quentin is.  Find him, orders Julianka--I must go get precious herbs--the leaf of the nightshade, the prickly stem of the devil's satch--in the woods--I will find them and come back in time--have Quentin here, she tells him, and leaves.
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2020, 08:20:38 PM »
Julianka! Even Magda was afraid of her.

There was this one fan who had a cult for actress Diana Davila. Grayson and Davila worked together again in the long lost ABC Wide World of Mystery movie, "The Two Deaths of Sean Doolittle." Perhaps one of these days that film will see the light of day once more...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2020, 04:44:22 PM »
Julianka! Even Magda was afraid of her.

After a curse like the one Julianka put on Magda, anyone would have been afraid of her.  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2020, 05:00:03 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #466 (1968) - Julia - 'I MUST have an ambulance immediately.'

From "#0465/0466: Robservations 05/01/02: Elopement, Interrupted; Mad Doc"
Julia, on the phone in Barnabas' room, is ordering an ambulance. Lang comes in. I knows who you are, he says, we know each other. I have been treating Barnabas, she says, who is in no condition to stay here. You can't move him, insists Lang, but Julia says only she completely understands his case. What is your diagnosis? asks Lang, and she says it's a rare blood disorder. It IS rare, he agrees, and difficult to control. What name has she give to this rare disease, he asks, but she evades the question. She starts taking Barn's clothing from the closet. Lang knows what it is--and first asks to see Julia's neck--he saw strange marks on Vicki and wonders if Julia also has them. (she wishes, sigh!) She is again evasive, demanding the necessary clearance to take Barnabas out. It's very nearly dawn, he observes shrewdly.
I have a lot to do, she says nervously, she isn't sure what the transfusion given in the hospital will do to him. Lang points out Barn had almost no blood, no pulse, no heartbeat--I envy you such an unusually interesting case, he says, but she insists they're wasting time. Lang has an interest in bizarre medicine and wants to discuss Barnabas, a member of the living dead, now. Your words, not mine, says Julia.
[/spoiler]

I remember originally watching this ep like it was yesterday - it was just one exciting, on the edge of your seat scene after another. And thankfully RD hadn't yet become as annoying as he would as Jeff Clark, so the fact that he's in the ep didn't diminish it one iota. In fact, wondering if he was or wasn't Peter added to the excitement.

And today's quote marks the first time a second "MUST" quote has been taken from an episode. The first (Dr. Lang - 'Mr. Collins, you and I MUST talk.') was back on May 26th. But most certainly this is but the first example of that happening. When it comes to some eps, it seems like every other word out of the characters' mouths is "must"!!  [ghost_wink]

Starting tomorrow the slideshow will begin the previously announced "30 Days Of To Tell Or Not To Tell" sub-theme. I've been having a lot of fun picking out quotes for it...