Author Topic: #0204/0205: Robservations 10/15/01: Willie Goes Too Far  (Read 1482 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0204/0205: Robservations 10/15/01: Willie Goes Too Far
« on: October 14, 2001, 01:51:19 PM »
Episode #204 - Another stranger has come to Collinwood, a savage, dangerous unwelcome stranger, who seems to be part of a dark and unexplainable mystery. Certain members of the Collins family are still unaware of his presence in the great house.

In Collinwood's kitchen, Carolyn pours coffee and Vicki comes in for a cup, too. They tell each other they really need the coffee, since they got little sleep last night. Carolyn asks Vicki if she saw the strange man who came to the house last night. I saw, him, says Vicki. He scared her, says Carolyn, what did he want. All she knows is his name is Willie Loomis, he's a friend of Jason's, and he's staying here. This last puzzles and disturbs Carolyn. Apparently, Mr. McGuire asked your mother if he could stay, says Vicki, and she said yes. Carolyn wonders why her mother would let such a man in the house. She says she's doing Jason a favor, says Vicki, but to Carolyn, letting a perfect stranger in the house makes no sense. Vicki agrees, and tells her to stay away from him--she was alone with him for just a few moments and he wouldn't lave her alone. Does Mother know about this? Asks Carolyn. Yes, she came in and stopped it, says Vicki. And she didn't throw him out of the house? asks Carolyn, that's not like her, I just don't understand her behavior
--it's as if she has no will of her own--as if Jason had some kind of hold over her.

Vicki and Carolyn sit down at the table. Vicki admits to Carolyn that she's frightened of Willie. What did he say and do? asks Carolyn. It wasn't so much last night, he was insinuating and insulting, but there was more--she saw him almost attack a man in the Blue Whale who had just bumped into him--for no reason, and Willie picked up a beer bottle, and Vicki feared there would be a terrible fight--but Jason broke it up. He was there, too? asks Carolyn. Yes, and she's glad he was, says Vicki, she's never seen an expression like that on a man's face before, terrified--he looked like a man capable of murder!

Drawing room - Roger looks through the mail. Willie enters and introduces himself, saying he must be Mrs. Stoddard's brother. May I ask what you're doing in this house? asks Roger. I'm a houseguest, explains Willie. Invited by whom? asks Roger. Your sister, says Willie, it was nice of her to invite me, she's a gracious lady. Roger surveys him as if he were a cockroach, asking how long he's known his sister. Willie says since last night, Jason introduced them. In other words, says Roger in clipped tones, you're a guest of Mr. McGuire? I guess you could put it that way, says Willie, he and Jason have been friends a long time--where can he get something to eat in this house. Roger informs him the kitchen is at the back of the house. Where do YOU eat? Asks Willie. Dining room, says Roger. Where is that? asks Willie. Roger asks how long he's going to stay here. Depends, says Willie, I like it here, it's a nice pad, I'll be real comfortable here.
Perhaps we should put a revolving door in the foyer for Mr. McGuire's other guests says Roger sarcastically. You don't like company? Asks Willie. Depends on the company, says Roger. I'm easy to get along with--if people treat me right, says Willie. (I LOVE Roger's disdain!) Roger says he may not have the opportunity to get to know that monumental discovery--and he leaves Willie alone in the drawing room. Willie grins, then burst out laughing, holding onto the mantle.

Kitchen - Roger, coffee in hand, tells Vicki and Carolyn he can't understand Liz, she said she'd given permission for this Willie person to stay here, and was adamant about it--offered no explanation and got angry when he tried to press her for one--Collinwood is her home and she's free to invite anyone she wants to--and I can leave if I'm not happy with the arrangements. This stuns Carolyn, who asks if her mother really said that.
Yes, says Roger, he and Liz haven't been on good terms lately, but he's surprised by her new attitude. Who are these people? Carolyn asks him, what's their connection with mother? Roger only knows he doesn't like what's happening, next thing you know, she'll be turning Collinwood into a haven for derelicts. At that propitious moment, Willie enters the kitchen. Well, he says, the meeting of the clan. I see you've found us out, says Roger. Willie asks to join them, he's starved. Would it matter if we minded? Asks Roger. Don't you believe in hospitality? Asks Willie. I believe in privacy in one's own home, remarks Roger. You should be more like your sister says Willie, friendly, it pays to be friendly, in the long run. Neither woman will look at him. Roger rises and Willie asks where he's going. Out, says Roger, I'll get something in town. And he leaves. Willie tells the ladies if he didn't know better, he'd swear he was leaving because of him. He leans very close to Carolyn, and she rises and says she'll finish her coffee in the drawing room. Vicki stands, too, she must see about David. What's the matter? He asks, you don't like Willie's company? We have things to do, says Carolyn. Vicki agrees with her.

Come back in, orders Willie. What for? asks Carolyn. I want breakfast, says Willie to Carolyn, and I want you to fix it. Angry, Carolyn tells him to wait just a minute. You wait, he says, I want breakfast. Vicki tells Carolyn not to argue with him, and Willie says this little lady has the right attitude--get me some coffee, he tells Vicki. He orders Carolyn to sit down, he wants to talk to her, he likes conversation with his breakfast. Do you? asks Carolyn. Sit down, Willie says. She does. Your name is Carolyn, right? He asks. Yes, she says. Nice name, he says, he once knew a girl by that name, she was pretty wild. Interesting, remarks Carolyn. Vicki brings over his coffee and sets it down in front of him. Tell the cook I wanted two eggs, sunny-side up, toast, and a small steak, I've very hungry. Vicki looks to Carolyn as if to ask if that's all right, and Carolyn assures her it's all right. I'll only be gone a minute, promises Vicki, and leaves. Not very talkative, are you, says Willie, and she wishes he'd stop staring at her. What's the matter, nervous?--all of us like to be looked at! Some don't, and I'm one of them, she says. How long have you been living in this town? He asks. All my life, she says. What do you do for action, kicks? He asks. She isn't sure she knows what he's talking about, but he believes she does. She looks at him, saying he's mistaken. Stick with me and you'll find out where the action is, he says. She says she doesn't want to know. I want to tell you something, Carolyn, he says, you're no different from any other girl, just richer. You're a girl and all girls are the same, they may look different, but don't pretend you're better than me--you're not! I'm not pretending anything, she says, I don't even know you. Willie says maybe she should get to know him better--she might have a different approach, might even think I'm better than you think I am? Would I? she asks. He thinks she would. He likes her--and Willie is a man who knows what he likes--and I like what I see. Vicki returns. She told Mrs. Johnson what he wanted. Carolyn rises and asks if they can go now. Sure, if you want to, he says. Thank you very much, Carolyn says sarcastically.
Willie promises to see her later, and he grins, then chuckles, as the women exit the room.

Blue Whale - Burke is shocked to learn from Vicki that the punk they saw here the other night is staying at Collinwood, invited to stay by Liz. Vicki says she doesn't understand it, and both she and Carolyn are afraid of him. If he bothers either one of you, let me know, I'll handle it, promises Burke. Vicki tells him she believes Willie is dangerous. He knows punks like that, says Burke, a good beating is all he needs. You mustn't get into a fight with him, says Vicki, he hasn't really said anything. Then why are you afraid of him? asks Burke. The way he looks at me and Carolyn, he hasn't done anything much, Vicki begins to explain, then stops. Burke asks what's the matter. Willie has just entered the bar. Burke wants to have a talk with him, but Vicki stops him--it isn't necessary, he's frightened her. It's all right, please leave him alone, she begs. Burke agrees. Willie puts some music on the jukebox, then goes over to say hello to Burke and Vicki. Out for a night on the town? He asks. The lady is having dinner, says Burke. I see, says Willie, I hope the food is better than the booze in this place. Burke asks if he wants something. Just conversation, right, Vicki? he asks her. Burke advises him to go make his conversation elsewhere. Willie asks who he is, and Burke introduces himself. I heard of you, big man in town, says Willie, I'm impressed. Burke has heard of him, too, he's Willie Loomis and staying up at Collinwood--behave yourself, there are three nice ladies staying at Collinwood--treat them that way. Willie asks him what makes him think he doesn't. I just get that feeling, says Burke, remember my advice. I don't take advice, says Willie, not even from a big man. you'd better take this advice, warns Burke. You're a really big man, aren't you? asks Willie, a really big man. Let me tell you something--you might be a big man in this hick town, but you can't talk like a big man to me! Is that so? asks Burke. Yes, says Willie, from now on, big man, save your advice for the locals, because I don't like it, don't tell me what to do. "Tough" responds Burke. Willie asks him if he wants to "mix it up"--he'll be sorry if he tries. Burke rises and Vicki begs him not to get into a fight. Listen to the lady, suggests Willie, she doesn't want you to get hurt. We'll see who gets hurt, says Burke. Please, Vicki begs him, then turns to Willie and asks if he can't please just go away. Why not? says Willie, the crowd's beginning to bore me, anyway.
He backs off, then leaves the bar, but not without a threatening glance at Burke. Vicki begs Burke to let him go, and he sits back down, slowly, looking pissed as hell. He wanted to beat the crap out of Willie.

Carolyn is working on correspondence in the drawing room. She thinks Vicki's come home, but it's Willie. She thought he went out for the evening, she says. He got bored and decided to come back here, he tells her. She stands, putting away the stationery. She says good night and starts to leave, but he blocks her exit with his arm and asks where she's going. Bed, it's late, she says, it's late. Not that late, he says. She's tired. You don't look tired, he remarks. I am, she insists. Have a nightcap with me, he says. She doesn't want one. "I do," he says. Fix yourself one, she suggests. I don't know where the booze is, he says. She points out the brandy on the sideboard. Fix me a drink, he says. It's late, she says.  I said, why don't you fix me a drink, he says, and the menace in his face compels her to spill some while she's pouring it. He asks why she's always so nervous. I'm not, she says. You seem to be, he responds. She hands him the brandy and he asks if she wants to join him. No, she says. He drains the glass, then asks, holding the glass out to her, what's the matter--no vices? She snatches the glass from his hand and furiously says she just doesn't feel like having brandy. If he'll excuse her. What's the big rush, he asks, barring her way. I told you, I'm tired, she says. I have the feeling you don't want to talk to me, says Willie--Is that right?--I like you, you're blonde, I dig blondes, your hair is so beautiful, as soft as baby's...he touches her hair, and she flinches away. "Don't touch me," she says in a low, warning voice. There you go, he says--getting nervous again--you know what your trouble is--you like me more than you suspect or pretend, and don't want to admit it. She tells him she wants to go to her room, and he says he'll tell her when she can go--it isn't time yet. "You can't give me orders in my own house!" she cries. He laughs, tells her to get mad, I like to see girls get mad! Don't try to touch me again! she commands. You disgust me! Do I? he asks. You stay away from me, Carolyn says. And if I don't? asks Willie, gazing at her salaciously. You'll be sorry, she promises. Then that's the chance I'm willing to take, he says, more determinedly blocking the door. Stay away from me, please, Carolyn demands. Willie instead closes the doors, saying he can't hear her. Leave me alone, she says. Why should I? He asks, advancing on her. I'm warning you, says Carolyn, backing away, leave me alone, I'm warning you. You keep talking, says Willie, but I can't hear a word you're saying. Carolyn turns away, still warning him away. He touches her hair again, and she pulls a gun from the desk drawer. Maybe you'll listen to me now, she says, pointing it at him. What are you doing with that water pistol, he asks, smiling nervously. It's my Uncle Roger's, she says, and it's loaded, warns Carolyn, and if you don't leave me alone, I'll blow your head off!
You're a little spitfire, aren't ya? Asks Willie. I mean exactly what I'm saying, Carolyn assures him, you'd better get out of here, right now, or I'll shoot you. Don't get excited, little lady, says Willie, I'll say good night. He opens the door, not taking his eyes off her, adding, "For now." And he heads upstairs, still looking at her holding the gun on him. When he's out of sight, Carolyn turns, her face filled with anger and loathing. Like Burke, you sense she's disappointed he didn't keep coming on to her, so she could have made good her threat to separate his head from his body.

NOTES: Wonderful ep, especially that last Carolyn/Willie scene. He's got this dangerous edge to him, doesn't he, you just sense he's probably been arrested for crimes against women in the past. I think it's cool she just pulled a gun on him. It seemed to be the only thing that drove home her point to be left alone.

Roger's disdain toward someone is always a delight to see. He despises so effectively.

Burke wanted to have at Willie, too, beat his brains out, but Vicki intervened. Somehow, you have a feeling that Willie would end up with a mashed-up face if Burke started on him.

Episode #205 - The sun is bright over Collinwood this morning, but inside the great house, shadows remain, shadows from the past, shadows of guilt, fear--fear that must be kept secret.

Drawing room - Carolyn opens the top desk drawer and takes out the gun she used to fend off Willie the previous night. She holds it, looking at it, and when Liz enters, quickly hides it behind her back. Good morning, darling, greets Liz cheerily--did I startle you? No, says Carolyn. Is something wrong? asks Liz. Why do you say that? asks Carolyn. You jumped when I came into the room, says Liz, and you're white as a sheet!. Am I? asks Carolyn. What's the matter? asks Liz. You don't want to hear about it, insists Carolyn. I would, says Liz--why not? You wouldn't, says Carolyn. Liz asks what she's hiding behind her back, and Carolyn reluctantly produces the gun. It's Roger's gun, says Liz, stunned--what are you doing with that? Looking at it, says Carolyn. Why? asks Liz. Are you sure you want to hear? asks Carolyn. Liz is sure. Last night, I almost used it, says Carolyn--I almost killed a man.
Shocked, Liz stares at her.

You almost killed a man? asks Liz--who? Jason's friend, that Willie, says Carolyn. What did he do? asks Liz. I came in here, says Carolyn, he'd had a few drinks and wanted more--he started saying things. Carolyn looks sickened. What kind of things? asks Liz. Nasty things, insinuations, says Carolyn--it wasn't what he said, but the way he kept looking at me...then he tried to touch me. Carolyn! says Liz. I told him to stay away from me, says Carolyn, but he kept after me--he wouldn't leave me alone, so I grabbed Uncle Roger's revolver and told him I'd shoot him if he didn't leave me alone--I meant it, Mother, I really did. I believe you, says Liz, leading Carolyn to the sofa. They sit down together. I'm sorry I had to tell you about it, says Carolyn--is this Willie a friend of yours? I'd hardly call him that, says Liz, do you know where Jason is now? In Uncle Roger's study, says Carolyn. I'm going to have a talk with him, says Liz, patting Carolyn's hand--I'm sorry about this, darling--but it won't happen again--you don't have to worry--believe me, I'll see to it that it doesn't happen again. She leaves the room. Carolyn gazes at the gun, lying on the desk, then goes over and lifts it into her hand. She opens the drawer and puts it away, then closes the drawer. She puts her hand up to her mouth, thinking.

Jason reads the newspaper in the study. Jason! Says Liz. Jason rises and asks Liz how she manages to be so attractive in the morning. I want your friend Willie to leave this house immediately! commands Liz. What's wrong--has Willie done something? Asks Jason. He most certainly has, he tried to attack Carolyn last night, accuses Liz. Attack her? asks Jason, now, Liz, are you sure she didn't misunderstand him? There was no misunderstanding, says Liz--she had to threaten him with a gun!--she's petrified of him! Then I shall have to speak to Willie, says Jason. You'll have to do more than speak to him, says Liz, you'll have to tell him to go. And if I don't? asks Jason. I'll call the police, says Liz. Would you really go that far? Asks Jason. I'll do anything I have to do to protect Carolyn, vows Liz. I have a few things I could tell the police, too, says Jason, hands behind his back, should they come calling. I realize that, she says. About a certain room in the basement, and what's contained there, says Jason. Go ahead and tell them, she says. Come on, Liz, he says, they'll dig up the basement floor, find your husband's body, you'd have to explain how it got there. I'm willing to risk it, she says. All to just get Willie out of this house? he asks. To keep Carolyn safe, says Liz--her safety means more to me than anything--even more than my own life!--well, are you going to ask your friend to leave, or am I going to have to call the police. Her hand is on the phone. Jason puts his hand over hers. You're being unreasonable, he says, you're excited, upset, not seeing things clearly. I see this man is a threat to Carolyn, she says firmly, and if he doesn't leave, I'll call the police. You really mean that, don't you? he asks. Of course I do, she says. Well, then, he says, of course, Willie will have to leave--but that will take time--I'll have to find a way to deal with Willie, and that takes time. How much time? she asks. Just a few days, says Jason. I want him out of this house today, she says. You have to realize that Willie is a very complicated young man, says Jason, he could make matters very difficult for the two of us, now I know how to handle him--please, let me handle him in my own way. How do you plan to handle him? asks Liz. Well, says Jason, by making him understand that it's best for him to leave town. And in the meantime, he continues to live in this house? asks Liz. For a little while, says Jason. I don't want him to bother Carolyn! says Liz. He won't, says Jason, leave Willie to me--I'll talk to him--he listens to me and will do anything I tell him to do. I only have your word for that, she says. You'll have to trust me, he insists. Can I trust you? she asks. You trusted me once before, he reminds her--I didn't let you down then, did I? She looks ashamed. No, she admits. Trust me again, he says, leave Willie to me--he won't give you anymore trouble. All right, she agrees, but if he bothers Carolyn, or anyone else in this house, I'll call the police
--I mean that, Jason, do you understand? I understand, he assures her.

Willie stands on the landing upstairs, rolling up his sleeves. He yarns, surveys the foyer from the landing, then comes downstairs. He spies Carolyn in the drawing room and hides against the wall, greeting her "good morning" when she exits the room. He has an insinuating smile on his face. What's the matter, did I scare ya? he asks--how's the little spitfire this morning? Leave me alone, she demands. What did I do> he asks. You did plenty last night, she says. Not the way I remember it, he says. Then there's something the matte with your memory, she says, and tries to walk past him. Wait a minute, he says, grabbing her arm.. Don't touch me! she cries, pulling he arm out of his grasp. I want to explain about last night, he says--you got me all wrong--I was just tryin' to be friendly--I'm a friendly guy. She gazes at him with hatred. I don't appreciate your brand of friendliness, she says angrily. You ought to be more friendly, he says, I'm a houseguest. Not for long, you're not, she says. What do you mean? he asks. I told my mother what happened last night, she says--she's not going to let you stay here after that. Nothing happened last night, protests Willie, you just got excited--all I said to you was that you're a pretty girl--is there anything wrong with saying you're a pretty girl? I don't like being told that by you, she says. Why not? he asks--what did I ever do to you? I don't know who you are or what you're doing in this house--but do me one favor--please leave me alone? That's right, says Liz, standing beside Jason in the kitchen doorway--leave her alone!

Liz tells Carolyn to excuse them--she wants to talk to Mr. Loomis. All right, agrees Carolyn, and exits through the kitchen entrance. What's going on? asks Willie. You'll find out, promises Jason, his tone boding ill for Willie They go into the drawing room, where Liz tells Willie she'll make it brief and to the point--"Leave my daughter alone!" I didn't do anything to your daughter! says Willie. Then why did she have to threaten you with a gun? Asks Liz. She got nervous, smiles Willie--she's a very nervous girl. You must have done something to make he nervous, says Liz. All I did was touch her, but only to admire her hair, says Willie--nothing wrong with admiring her hair. I'm not going to argue with you, says Liz sternly, I'll tell you what I told Jason--leave my daughter alone or I'll call the police and have you put in jail--do you understand me? I hear you, he says. It's no idle threat, says Liz, I'll go through with it--leave Carolyn alone! She turns and leaves. Jason closes the doors and faces Willie, furious. She had no reason to get steamed up, says Willie. You idiot! says Jason, you stupid idiot--you know what you almost did?--you almost blew the whole deal! Wait a minute, says Willie, that's crazy! Maybe it's crazy and maybe it's not, says Jason, but she almost went to the police, and if she did that, we'd be dead! But she didn't, says Willie. Maybe she didn't, says Jason, waving a finger at him, but she said she'd do anything to protect that daughter of hers, I had to do a great deal of talking to keep her from calling the police. She didn't, says Willie, so don't get nervous about it. She didn't this time, says Jason, but she might go through with it next time if she has cause--he grabs Willie's arms--she isn't going to have cause, because you're going to leave Carolyn alone, and Vicki Winters, too! I didn't touch that little girl! says Willie. Don't give me that, warns Jason, I know you and I know you around women, but this time, you've got to cool it--I've got the deal of a lifetime cooking here, and you're not going to spoil it. I don't like the way you're talking to me, whines Willie, you've never talked to me this way before! I'm talking to you this way, says Jason, wagging a finger at him, because I have to, because I'm not going to let you spoil this set-up--from now on, the girls in this house are off limits!--do you understand that? You're giving me orders, says Willie, and I don't like that--I don't like taking orders from you or anyone--I thought we were buddies. We are, of course we are, says Jason. You're not talking like we are, says Willie--we've been buddies a long time--we know a lot about each other--don't forget that. I haven't, says Jason sourly. You don't talk to me like you have, says Willie. (what does Willie have on Jason, I wonder?) Listen, says Jason, changing his tone--we have a chance to come out of this with a big bundle--that's what you want, isn't it? sure, says Willie. All right, then, says Jason, don't spoil it by getting Liz mad at you--stay away from Carolyn--or Liz might not come through--and if she goes to the police, there's the ball game--I wouldn't have anything on her then. I wish you'd tell me what you have on her, says Willie. (I wondered if he knew.) You're better off not knowing, says Jason, take my word for it. When are you going to collect? Asks Willie. Soon, says Jason. How soon? asks Willie. I don't know! says Jason, annoyed, I have to wait for just the right moment to cash in. I am getting sick of hanging around this place, says Willie, these people treat me like I'm poison! Put up with it! advises Jason, just keep your mouth shut, stay out of trouble and it will be worth your while, believe me. I am so sick of these punks that think they're rich snobs, complains Willie--if I could just get me some easy, quick money, I'd grab it and run! Don't even think like that, says Jason, holding Willie's arms--we'll collect, collect plenty--all we have to do is wait! Sure, says Willie, just wait!
--I'm tired of waiting! that's the way it has to be, says Jason. Willie wags an angry finger at him and says, OK, Jason--OK.

Study - Liz assures Carolyn that Willie won't bother her again. When is he leaving? Asks Carolyn. Soon, says Liz. What does that mean? asks Carolyn. In a few days, a week possibly, says Liz. A week? Asks Carolyn, dismayed. That isn't very long, says Liz, and if he stays away from you... I thought you were going to order him out of the house! says Carolyn, today! I can't do that, says Liz--Willie is a friend of Jason's and Jason is a friend of mine. I thought Jason was a friend of my father's, says Carolyn. Of mine, too, says Liz. He must be a very close friend, says Carolyn accusingly. He is, agrees Liz, not looking at her. You seem to be willing to do almost anything for him, says Carolyn. I owe Jason a favor, says Liz. Why? asks Carolyn. He was very good to me at one time, says Liz, when your father deserted me, he was a great comfort to me. And that's why you're letting Willie stay? asks Carolyn. Yes, says Liz, rising from her chair. And that's why Jason's here, says Carolyn. Yes, says Liz. It doesn't make sense, says Carolyn--it might explain why you'd let Jason stay here, but not Willie. Willie is Jason's friend and has promised to behave himself, says Liz. And that's the only reason you're letting him stay in his house? asks Carolyn. Yes of course, says Liz. I don't believe you, says Carolyn, I think Jason has some sort of hold over you--something you're not telling me about. Nonsense, says Liz. Is it? asks Carolyn. Absolutely, says Liz, I'm doing a favor for a friend--it's as simple as that. And that's all you'll say? asks Carolyn. That's all there is to say, says Liz. I don't think you're telling me the truth, says Carolyn, maybe there's some reason why you can't, but someday, someday very soon, I'll find out what the real truth is.
She leaves the room. Liz sags back down in the chair and leans her head back, sad, exhausted.

Willie gazes up at Jeremiah's portrait above the drawing room mantle. How much is this family supposed to be worth? He asks Jason. Up in the millions, asks Jason. I'd like to get my hands on some of that--right now! says Willie. You'll get your hands on plenty of it, promises Jason--in time! Wonder what it feels like to be as rich a man as he was? asks Willie, pointing to Jeremiah. Oh, says David, entering the room--he's my great, great, grandfather. David, says Jason uncomfortably, wondering how much the boy overheard, how long have you been here? I just got in, says David--are you two interested in the Collins family? Sure, says Willie. I know a lot about my ancestors, says David, I could tell you lots of things. You do that sometime, says Willie, clearly not interested. I have to go into town, Jason tells Willie--why don't you just come with me? I think I'd rather stay here, says Willie. All right, says Jason, patting Willie's arm--but remember what I told you! OK, OK, mutters Willie. Jason leaves. My great--great grandfather founded this town, says David--that's why they call it Collinsport. Sure, of course, says Willie. He was richer than anybody, says David, he was married to Josette--her portrait is down at the Old House. That's nice, says Willie, not really paying attention. I could tell you lots of spooky things about her, says David. Willie chuckles. I bet you could, he says, wandering into the foyer. And that's Barnabas Collins, says David, showing Willie the portrait on the wall (the man himself!)--he died in England--he was rich, too, richer than anybody. Nice ring he's wearing, says Willie--is that a ruby? Yes, says David, a family heirloom. (ruby?) Family heirloom, eh? asks Willie--is it still around? Not that ring, says David, I don't think so--I haven't seen it. But there are other heirlooms around, says Willie, pointing--like this medal, here? Some, says David. Oh, come on, you're kidding me, says Willie. No I'm not, says David, we have plenty of family heirlooms, worth much, much money! Very interesting, says Willie. Carolyn appears on the landing, asking David what he's doing--Vicki's been looking for him, so come upstairs. What for? asks David--I did all my homework. Don't argue with me, orders Carolyn, come up here. Oh, OK, says David, and troops upstairs, going along with Carolyn through the door. Willie closely examines Barnabas' portrait, fascinated. What I'd give to get my hands on some rocks like those, he says to himself, greedily licking his lips--I'd grab 'em and run!--all Jason can say is wait
--wait--wait!--I'm gettin' sick of it--sick of hanging around this house, waiting...oh, what's the use? He asks aloud, I need a drink! He grabs his coat, squeezing it in his hands, then leaves the house. From the portrait, we hear a heartbeat, softly at first, then growing louder, and louder. The portrait's eyes glow as the heartbeat intensifies.

NOTES: I do remember this episode very clearly from the first time I saw it--Willie's greed and anger, his impatience--and the portrait of Barnabas, eyes eerily glowing as the heartbeat emanates from it. Creepy stuff, then and now.

Poor Liz, she wants more than anything to protect her daughter, but she can't order Willie to just go, or Jason might make good on his threat--and even though she was ready to call the cops on Willie, she wasn't ready to get arrested herself. So, stuck, she goes by Jason's timetable, unable to answer Carolyn's pointed, angry questions.

David's a hoot--he can sense what Willie is after, and he brags about the family jewels to a man he knows is very interested in having money, almost as if he knows Willie's intentions. Is it possible that Barnabas himself is making all this happen, one step at a time?

Our first appearance of Barnabas' portrait! Wonder who hung it up there--and when? Did Mrs. Johnson find it in the attic or basement, hear the portrait "calling to her," then bring it upstairs to start what will ultimately happen?

Five episodes away from seeing our favorite vampire!

Love, Robin