Author Topic: Robservations 1/5/03 - #796/797 - Quentin's Bacon is Saved; Another Curse  (Read 1531 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
796 - This episode recaps the end of the previous, but it was re-shot.

Angelique tells Aristede--I want to see Quentin, show him to me.  While I wasn't brilliant on the last occasion we met, he says, I'm not that stupid.  I don't have the hand, admits Ang.  Get it, he says.  How can I, if I don't know where it is? She asks.  Find it, he says again.  Look at me, says Ang, the hand means nothing to me, no matter what you believe--it means so little to me, I gave it to someone else--don't look away, she says, keep looking into my eyes--let us go now, to where Quentin is,  "Lead me to him--you must do as I say."  He bursts into laughter, unlocking his eyes from hers, and shows her an amulet he's wearing around his neck--protection against youi--f you gave the hand away, which I find impossible to believe, get it back.   I need time, says Ang.  You know how much time you have, says Aristede, and it's all your friend Quentin has, so hurry!

Barnabas lifts the box containing the hand and asks Julianka, how will you save Quentin--how?  You ask too many questions, complains Julianka.  I'm concerned for his safety, says Barn.  You still do not trust me? she asks.  I must know what will happen, he insists.  You can never know, she says--my great-grandmother took pity on Count Petofi, turned him back from wolf to man, and it's her secret I know, but I am the only one who will know it, until my daughter is born--"This hand and I are the only ones who know."  We tried to use the hand before, says Barn.  Yes, how brave you and Magda were, scoffs Julianka, holding the hand in hers--only I can guide the hand.  Must you use it? demands Barnabas.  Yes, and that's all I will say, says Julianka, returning the hand to the box--there is much to be done--this must be done the moment before the moon disappears, for when it does, it must take the curse with it to the underside of time.  Barnabas,  puzzled, says, I don't know where Quentin is.  Find him, orders Julianka--I must go get precious herbs--the leaf of the nightshade, the prickly stem of the devil's satch--in the woods--I will find them and come back in time--have Quentin here, she tells him, and leaves.  (She doesn't act like one of Barnabas' usual victims, too much piss and vinegar.)

Aristede, cheroot in hand, returns to the perspiring Quentin, who, terrified, watches and struggles as the pendulum swings ever downward.  Its placement now looks like it's going to...shall we say...affect his ability to ever have more children.  (Sorry, Beth.)  Aristede tells Quentin, your fiancee is charming, not a woman I'd ever trust, but some men like to live in doubt--do you think your fiancee wants him to live?--"I see by your eyes you have some doubt--so do I. . .but we shall see, won't we?"  He laughs at Quentin, then adds, "At least I will.  You may never know."  He laughs harder as the pendulum swings inexorably downward.

Old House - Barnabas asks Angelique--why didn't you tell me about Aristede?  We aren't in the habit of confiding in each other, she reminds him.
You should have told me this, says Barn--who could this man be?--if he has Quentin. . .  He DOES, says Angelique, and we must give Aristede the hand.  I don't intend to let Quentin die, he assures her.  Wouldn't it be safer just to give him what he wants? asks Angelique--for once not to have some elaborate plot that might not work out?  "How human you suddenly sound," he chides her, amused--perhaps you have changed--I wish I could trust you.  Leave me out of it, says Ang.  I can't, he says, I have a small, nagging wonder at your even being here--you can control this Aristede if you want, make him lead you to Quentin.  She shakes her head.  I can't believe this, says Barnabas, considering you made me what I am.  Barnabas, she says, Aristede has a medallion, so I have no control over him.  Why would he? asks Barnabas--he isn't of the gypsies--Julianka is our effort to get that hand.  Who he is doesn't matter, says Ang, we are wasting time.  When are you to meet? he asks.  Fifteen minutes, she says--the woods outside Collinwood.  Meet him, says Barnabas.  It will be useless without the hand, says Ang, picking up the box.  You can't take that, insists Barn.  If I had no power over him, neither will you, says Ang.  I have advantages you don't, he says--is the medallion in the form of a cross?  No, she replies.  Then I'll try my luck says Barnabas.  "How arrogant you are," accuses Ang--"It must please you very much to have saved the day when I cannot."  Barnabas responds, "I'm saving him for his sake, not for yours or for mine, but for him, and David Collins and Chris Jennings--they are my reasons."--we must plan, says Barnabas.

Aristede admires himself in a mirror as the pendulum comes closer to unmanning Quentin.  "One must look one's best at all important moments," says Aristede, his back is to Quentin, who has managed to free his left hand from the ropes.  "As your emissary, I'm sure you want me to be at my best."  It's time for me to go for Angelique's answer, says Aristede.  The pendulum is now about two inches from target.  Aristede jovially asks Quentin, are you a gambling man?--I want to make a wager--"Aww, you don't think it's in the best of taste--you may be right," agrees Aristede--"I'll see you again."  Quentin tries to attack him with his free hand.  Aristede says, you aren't strong or clever enough.  He ties the free hand back down.  I've shown you what I believe, says Aristede--I don't trust Angelique, either--you don't think she's going to save you--well, I can't make any mistake now--I've been warned, threatened even--"This machine can be used more than once, and I have too much respect for my body to even think about lying on that table!"  Aristede smiles and bids Quentin au revoir--"At least you hope so."  And the sweating, terrified Quentin stares at the descending pendulum.

Woods - Angelique calls to Aristede, who appears.  I see you didn't bring it, he observes.  I couldn't, says Ang.  "Quentin knows you well," remarks Aristede.  I need more time, says Ang--I will get it for you.  You ask the one thing I'm powerless to grant, he says, and turns to go.  Wait, begs Ang.  I suggest you get into your clothes of mourning, he says--you'll look beautiful in black!  She turns and runs from him.  Aristede is furious at being thwarted.  He turns and stops when he hears Barnabas' voice calling, "Aristede."  A dog howls.  "You cannot go," says Barnabas--"Not yet--where is Quentin Collins?"  I don't know, says Arisede--show yourself!  Barnabas appears from the shadows.  Aristede asks, who are you?  Who are you is more the question, says Barnabas.  "Stay away from me," orders Aristede.  "You will stay here," says Barnabas, "I will willingly go, but you will not let me--if you tell me where Quentin is, you will be much better off."  No, says Aristede.  Yes, you would, insists Barnabas.  Barnabas admires his medallion--it's old, isn't it?--look into my eyes--"Look at me!"  Aristede does.  "You are powerless to resist me," says Barnabas--"You see my will in my eyes, don't you?"  Yes, says Aristede.  "We have so little time--you must tell me where Quentin is! Insists Barnabas--you understand that?"  Yes, agrees Aristede.
"Take me there the quickest way," orders Barnabas--"Start now, Aristede!"  Aristede walks as if in a trance.

Back in the old mill, the pendulum is within cutting distance of Quentin's cojones...

Quentin tries to scream for help through his gag.

Aristede lights a candle and tells Barnabas, "We wouldn't keep him in the foyer, sir."  "WE?" asks Barnabas.  Aristede explains, I often speak about myself that way.  Take me to him, commands Barnabas, calling to Quentin.  You'll wake the dead, warns Aristede.

Quentin looks around at the place where Aristede has taken him.

Aristede bursts into laughter, causing Barnabas to grab his lapels.  "You tell me, sir," says Aristede, "will he ascend to heaven or descend to hell?"  "You have tricked me!" accuses Barnabas.  No, says Aristede, you and Angelique--you didn't bring the hand.  Barnabas demands to know where Quentin is.  What difference does that make?--he only has a moment or two left, says Aristede--and he's miles from here.  Where?--I want to know, says Barnabas.  I'll tell you, agrees Aristede.  Barnabas tosses him against the wall.  If you want to go for the body, a useless thing to me, says Aristede. . .you can congratulate me on my cleverness--he's in an abandoned mill by Sutter's Creek.  Barnabas asks, are you lying?  There's no reason for me to lie, says Aristede--you could never get there in time to save him.  Barnabas promises, we will meet again, and disappears.  Aristede, flabbergasted, hears the sound of squeaking--where did Barnabas go?

Barnabas races into the old mill and pushes the table against the wall, saving Quentin from a horrible, painful and very bloody death.  Quentin gasps, very relieved.  The pendulum slams harmlessly into the table, right near his foot...

Old House - Julianka lights candles (including a black one, of course).  She holds up a glass of nightshade, "a gift of the devil god for those who hunt rest without peace."  The devil's thatch, a gift to remind us that agony is not only human, for the spirit lives on, and when there is spirit, there is agony.  Great god of the distant mountains, beloved of my people, help me tonight when the moon begins its downward path--give me the power that was my mother's--let me help this man."  She holds her hands in prayer.  Barnabas and Quentin enter.  She looks at the latter and says, I see the sign over his head.  Rest, she tells Quentin.  He sinks down on the purple thing and asks, can you cure me?  She nods.  Are you sure? he asks--if you use the hand, might I not turn into something even more frightening?
Not if the ancient gods are with us, she says--and they will be--I must go in a moment, find the one thing that will draw them here--it will not fail-- the new blood of the orris root.  Quentin turns away, disgusted.  "You do not believe me," says Julianka.  "You will.  Wait!  You are luckier than Count Petofi.  Before my great grandmother cured him, he had to pay her with his hand."  (don't make me say anything now, please!)  Why must you go out again? Asks Barnabas--why didn't you get it the first time?  The gods will only come if they are summoned the moment we begin, explains Julianka--it is now 10 minutes past 3, and the moon will be where it must be at 4 o'clock.

Later - Angelique looks at the clock and assures Quentin, you are safe.  You should have let me die, says Quentin--where is she?--she should have been here by now--is this another gypsy joke?  No, says Barnabas.  You seem so positive--why? asks Quentin--she's run out on me.  We have 10 minutes, says Barnabas--"I'll go look for her."--Angelique, make sure Quentin doesn't leave the house.  There's no need for you to stay here, says Quentin.  "I'd like to," she says softly.  He laughs--now don't sound human, I'm not impressed--I remember where you came from, how you came here and why.  I'm sure you do, says Ang--I will have to make you forget all that, won't I?  She grins at him.

Barnabas searches the woods, calling to Julianka.
He finds her, on the ground, moaning, a strange mark on her forehead.

NOTES:  Other soaps seems pretty humdrum compared to DS.  Imagine, a pendulum threatening one of the heroes!  Did it get any better than this?  I read that both Selby and Stroka couldn't remember their lines and there was no room for the TelePrompTer in that small space, so they ad-libbed their lines--and the scene turned out perfect, time-wise.  Both Barnabas and Quentin accuse Angelique of being "human," and she really did seem so today.  Robbed of her powers by the medallion, she had to turn this one over to Barnabas--yet Aristede wasn't taken in by him.  I guess Aristede doesn't know Barnabas is a vampire, and that he can get to places much faster than a mortal man.  Gripping episode--when this one began, and we saw that Quentin was destined to be sliced in that very sensitive spot, didn't you want to go ouch, guys?  What has happened to Julianka, who seems to be Quentin's last hope for beating the curse?

Stroka plays a wonderful, oily villain--you can see he loves to torture people, like a cat with a mouse.  He'll be doing some of that to one of our favorite people in the not too distant future.

797 - (Black and white) - Magda and Quentin gaze out the Old House window, both looking somber.  Quentin asks why Julianka hasn't returned--the ceremony must begin by a certain time.  Magda suggests she just got lost, wandered farther than she thought, and she knows better than you when the ceremony must start.  Then where is she? he asks, unnerved--I wish you'd let Angelique stay; it was a mistake to let Barnabas go out, since he might have been spotted.  Magda rifles through her tarot cards and reminds Quentin--no one sees Barnabas unless he wants to be seen.  Then where are they? demands Quentin--can you tell me that--and don't look at the cards, they are bound to show misfortune?  If you go on like this, says Magda, you won't be in any shape for the ceremony.  Sorry, he says, but I'm more than just an interested spectator, he reminds her.  So am I, says Magda, picking up the box containing the hand.   Why? asks Quentin--I don't get your concern.  Let it be understood, she says that I want Julianka to come back as much as you do.  Barnabas returns, looking very, very sad.  They both ask, did you find her?  Yes, he says soberly, "She is dead."

Barnabas arranges Julianka's body on a bed in the secret room behind the bookcase.  He hands Magda the orris root he found in her hand, and says--"The mark was on her forehead, and she was dead."  It isn't a gypsy mark, says Magda, I never saw such a mark--no, wait, I have, but I can't remember where (although she clearly does, and doesn't wish to say), and adds, I might be wrong.  Perhaps you know something that can help us, says Barnabas, begging--try to remember--it might be able to help us discover who murdered her--can you recall anything?  And if she knew, says Quentin, would it make a difference?--would it make those dead lips tell their secrets?--no, it's gone, forever, just like my hope.  Don't give up hope, urges Barnabas.  Why, demands Q, what will we do next?  Barnabas swears, I'll think of something.  And it will fail as surely as everything else has, says Q, our only hope died with that girl, the one person who could have saved me.  They leave the secret room; Magda closes the bookcase.  Quentin is clearly about to leave.  Barnabas asks, where are you going?  I don't know, says Quentin--there's nothing to be done here, or anywhere else.  We'll think of something else, Barnabas promises.  Spare me your rosy optimism, says Quentin, it's completely unappreciated--perhaps you can bear your own burden bravely, but I find mine intolerably heavy.  Will you be at Collinwood? Asks Barn.
Quentin retorts, "What for?  To help carry the gypsy back to her grave?  I'm sorry, but I'm carrying burden enough--I don't know how much longer I'll be able to do it."  Quentin leaves.  Barnabas sinks slowly into a chair, as if exhausted, and says, I didn't think it would happen this soon.  What? asks Magda.  The second event that's happened, says Barnabas, describing Jamison's disturbing dream--in which I learned three things would happen--first the silver bullet being brought to Collinwood (the one Magda dropped).  Before I had a chance to realize it, the first event was over and done with.  The second event occurred tonight, with Julianka's death.  Magda laments, I never should have stolen the hand.  She takes it from the box.  I didn't know the trouble it could cause, I swear it, she says.  I know that, Barnabas assures her--the vision, unfortunately, improves a great deal after the thing has happened--in the case of the third event, I must find out before it happens--Quentin will be rejected by the one person he truly loves--if that happens, it's too late--for all of us, for shortly after that, Quentin will die, and everything I have worked for will end tragically.  Magda gasps with dismay.  I must learn when the third even will happen, so I can be prepared for it, says Barn.  There's no way of definitely knowing the future, says Magda--there are tea leaves and tarot, but based on a calendar, no--how do we even know there's a future?--now it's 1897, suppose I say 1927, 1967 (the year Julia and Barnabas show up on DS), how do I know that date will ever really arrive?  Of course there's a future! insists Barnabas, because the future for you is the present for me, and I'd give anything to be able to go back there for 10 minutes.  Would that help? asks Magda.  In my time, there is a history of the Collinses printed in 1965, says Barnabas, which would have printed the date of Quentin's death (inaccurately, I bet)--that would help me a great deal--if only Eve hadn't gone back to the past to get that book for Vicki, who brought it back to the 18th century when she went there, so Eve brought it back to the present.  Eve, Vicki, who are these people? asks Magda, confused--when did she take the book?  Not too long ago, says Barnabas--don't concern yourself--these people are shadows of my present and your future.  He turns and says, yes, it didn't happen too long ago--it hasn't happened yet--there's still a chance to save Quentin--because by looking in the book that lies in the old Colonial courthouse--Eve did take it, which happened in 1968, which hasn't happened yet--so the book must still be in the courthouse now.  Magda tells him that part of the courthouse collapsed two years ago--they never fixed it, but built a new one--the old one is closed up.  You could go there, says Barn.  You really think this book would help? she asks.  I thinks someone should at least search there for it, he replies.  I could get in there, she says, and will go right now.  Right now, he agrees--I was caught unprepared twice, I can't get caught unprepared again, says Barnabas to himself.

Quentin enters Collinwood, exhausted.  He pours a drink.  Beth enters.  I've been waiting for you to come back, she cries--it was so terrible, knowing you were out there. . .  He suddenly drops the glass, which shatters, and says, "No, stay away from me!"  This upsets her--what have I done?  Quentin spots the mark of the pentagram on her forehead.
It's not what You've done, he says but what I will do.  He stares at the pentagram on her forehead with self-loathing.  What you'll do to whom? she asks.  To you, he says.  Why would you want to do anything to me? she asks.  Do you think I had control over what I did to anyone else? he asks--what makes you think I'll have control the next time?--please, go away, he begs, get out of Collinwood now--any minute now, I could become the beast and you my prey.  She moves in close, her mouth inches from his, touching his chest.  "Beth, I don't want to think about the possibility of killing you!" he says desperately.  You can't kill me, she reminds him, not as long as I have the pentagram.  Pentagram or not, the mark was there, says Quentin, and a time will come when you're without it, and at the mercy of the beast.  I won't take it off, says Beth.  "Stop trying to convince me, Beth! yells Quentin--now that beast is going to kill you, unless you run so far, he won't be able to find you."  Far from him means far from you, says Beth tearfully, and I don't want that, because I lo...   Love me, finishes Quentin bitterly--"Well I hope your love is strong enough that you won't mind dying for it when the time comes."  Stop talking that way! she begs.  Why, does it frighten you? he asks cruelly?  Yes, she admits.  Good, says Quentin, then maybe you'll have sense enough to go away.  No, she says, as he pours himself another drink, I won't leave you--where are you going?  To my room, he says, it's a more comfortable place to get absolutely death-blind drunk.  I want to come with you, says Beth.  Come along, he says softly--perhaps I'll get drunk enough to forget I saw that mark on your forehead, and we can have a few minutes of "forgetfulness."  He touches her chin teasingly.  I'd like that, says Beth, smiling.  "Good girl, Beth," he says, "and always faithful--loyal to the end--maybe they'll put that on your tombstone."  (Oh, that is soooo mean!)  He walks past her; Beth trails after him, despite his bitterness and the fact that he doesn't seem to want her at all.

Barnabas exits the secret bookcase room.  Magda comes in, seemingly empty-handed.  I went to the courthouse, she says, and got the book (she takes it from her shawl).  Barnabas eagerly takes the book and rifles through the end of the century.  Aw, hell, the date of Quentin's death isn't written.  Magda takes the book and reads the note written there--before the year 1875 (1897)  ended, Quentin Collins left Collinsport for a voyage around the world.  What does that mean? she asks.  Barnabas explains--it's one of the ways the Collins family said something terrible happened, so bad it cannot even be printed--and so, a socially accepted lie is devised--a trip to London (that one was for you, Barn!), a trip to anywhere else--anything so the world is kept away from what really happened.  There isn't much time, says Magda.  I wish I had realized the gypsy girl was the only one who could have saved Quentin! Laments Barnabas--I'd have watched over her and kept her from being murdered!  Barnabas whirls around--the gypsy girl--they can get her spirit to speak to them from beyond the grave!--perhaps she can still tell us how to save Quentin!
I don't like that idea, says Magda.  You've been involved with death before, he reminds her, why hesitate now? Have a seance without me, suggests Magda.  I cannot do without you, says Barnabas impatiently, since you and Julianka are both gypsies--what's the matter?  Magda confesses, reluctantly, that if Julianka is anything like her grandmother, who was very scary when angered--when I was a child, she used to scare me and the other children.  But you are no longer a child, reminds Barnabas--Jenny's children need to know what Julianka can tell us--two gypsy children are doomed without your help.  Convinced, Magda asks, when will we have the seance?  As soon as you get Quentin, says Barn--and remember, whatever happens must do so before dawn!  Magda says, perhaps I'm a fool, but something about all this frightens me.  "You are a fool, and a coward!" shouts Barnabas, furious.  This insults Magda, who asks--would a coward go to the courthouse?--get that book for you?--do for you what I do everyday?  We have no time for your gypsy temper, he warns.  I still have this terrible feeling, says Magda. . .  "AND WE HAVE NO TIME FOR YOUR GYPSY FEELINGS!" shouts Barnabas, right in her face, his countenance twisting with fury--go get Quentin, and hurry!

Quentin's room - his music plays.  He's drinking, listening, looking depressed.  Beth kneels and suggests--when this is all over, perhaps we can take a trip somewhere.  The only trip we are going to take is to hell, remarks Q, drinking.  Stop thinking like that, orders Beth.  Do you know any other way? queries Quentin.  Please stop drinking, adds Beth, it isn't good for you.  Sure, says Q, we must keep the condemned man healthy for his execution.  He slumps back in his chair.  Stop, she begs.  Be quiet, says Quentin, I'm trying to listen to my music (both Collins cousins are very pissy in this episode, aren't they?)  Beth stands, smiling, and says, I've always wanted to go to Vienna, and wear silk gowns, and diamond earrings.  She sways, dancing, "and waltz all night long," she adds.  Quentin says, "And may I suggest if you're ever going to go, it had better be now."  I want to go with you, insists Beth.  Drunkenly, Quentin says, I don't think that can fit into my schedule right now--go on dreaming, because dreams are all you get at Collinwood--and one last nightmare.  Beth continues to dance and dream.  She looks at Quentin when someone knocks at the door.  It's Magda--Barnabas wants you, and fast, she says--he has a plan.  Beth asks what plan?--I'm coming, too.  Magda says Barn only wants Quentin.  Q claps Magda on the shoulder and says all right, Quentin he'll get--you must excuse me, Beth, I must beg off the next waltz.  Beth starts to blather something about Barnabas' plan working.  Quentin ignores her optimism and says, let's go, Magda, mustn't keep our ever-hopeful cousin waiting.  And they go.  Beth sits down in the chair Quentin vacated, looking as if she's going to cry.  And the music plays.

Old House - seance - Barnabas calls to Julianka's spirit--gypsy of the Romana clan, only you can tell us what we must know--break the silence of the grave and speak to us--penetrate the darkness of the grave and speak to us!  Magda and Quentin, who have joined hands with him, look nervous, especially Magda.  Wind fills the room.  Thunder rolls.  Julianka's spirit calls to them:  "I do not like death at all!" she complains, appearing to them.  Tell us what we must know, says Barnabas--I beg you.  Beg from now until the time I am made flesh and blood again, she snarls, stepping creepily down--I will tell you nothing--you called me here, I came, I died before my time.  "How could we know, we needed your help?" asks Barnabas desperately.  You meant me no harm, but caused my murder, chides Julianka--I am dead now!  We had nothing to do with your death, says Barnabas.  I met my blood in your woods while I was gathering the blood of the orris root to take a curse from one of your number, says Julianka--the orris root was in my hand when I died, but it was my blood that was on it--"and he who is cursed among you will remain cursed forever!, forever, forever.. . ."  Quentin cries, I can't listen to this!, and runs out.  It wasn't Quentin's fault, protests Barnabas, nor is he the only one who suffers from the curse--there are two young children whose mother was a gypsy!  I refuse to help them, says Julianka, my own blood or not--they no longer deserve the name because of her--and she points an accusing finger at Magda, who cries out.  Stay away from me, begs Magda.  Julianka says, I will go away and stay away forever, but before I do, I will lay my curse upon you.  "You stole the hand from your own people, you who severed the chains that must be linked together forever.  You who dishonored us--you deserve to die!"  Then let me die, sobs Magda.  No, says Julianka, my curse will bring you tears and more tears, and more graves and only loneliness...   What do you mean? asks Magda.
This is the curse I lay upon your head, says Julianka--first will come three knocks on the door--hear them and begin to weep, for they will herald the beginning, but not the end--the first but not the last--you will live, Magda Rakosi, but everyone you love will die!  Magda rises and begs, don't do this--listen!  Julianka, however, has already faded way.  "Barnabas," sobs Magda, "she is gone, she is gone, what shall I do!"  Barnabas goes to her and says, "She came once, perhaps she will come again--you must plead with her to undo what she has done before it happens!"  Yes, agrees Magda, I will.  Unfortunately, at that very moment, they hear three knocks at the door.  "It is already too late!" Magda cries.

Note:  Curses!  It's always a woman who sets them on DS.  This was a really cruel one for poor Magda, who has already lost so much.  Quentin's treatment of Beth was horrible.  We know he's upset, but she loves him desperately--can't he at least try for her sake?  He seems a lot less mature about his situation than Barnabas.  Julianka's curse left me feeling cold all over.  What new tragedy will befall poor Magda now?  Is Beth doomed to die at Quentin's furry hands?

Love, Robin

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 1/5/03 - #796/797 - Quentin's Bacon is Saved; Another Curse
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 12:35:07 AM »
If only Eve hadn't gone back to the past to get that book for Vicki, who brought it back to the 18th century when she went there, so Eve brought it back to the present.  Eve, Vicki, who are these people? asks Magda, confused--when did she take the book?  Not too long ago, says Barnabas--don't concern yourself--these people are shadows of my present and your future.  He turns and says, yes, it didn't happen too long ago--it hasn't happened yet--there's still a chance to save Quentin--because by looking in the book that lies in the old Colonial courthouse--Eve did take it, which happened in 1968, which hasn't happened yet--so the book must still be in the courthouse now.

How tricky time can be!  While I admire Barnabas's line of reasoning, I still don't see how it could work.  True, Eve won't exist until 1968, but she stole the book from 1795/6--a date that has already occurred.  Assuming that all the tampering that has ever been done on previous trips to the past still stands, shouldn't the book be gone by now?

To nit-pick even further, what are the odds that the history book--such a vital piece of evidence in the trial of a witch--would simply be left lying around in an abandoned, decrepit courthouse?  If the judges didn't immediately order the book to be destroyed, wouldn't they have at least stored it in a safe place?  

Shame on Barnabas for forcing Magda to take part in the seance!  I wonder if Julianka would have still cursed her if she had not been present.

ProfStokes

vampire675

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2003, 01:17:18 AM »
Greetings, Robin & ProfStokes
I think Barnabas wanted Magda to participate in the seance, in order to have a female to act as the medium for Julianka to speak thru.
In all the other seances we have seen so far, instead of the spirit manifesting and talking directly to the participants, one of the people would speak for the spirit.
This time, Julianka appears and talks to Magda instead of thru her, in order to chew her out, for taking the Hand.
By the way, this is the 11th seance performed in DS since the beginning, the 12th, if you consider the herb ritual Prof. Stokes performed with Jeff Clark to reach the spirit of Peter Bradford, to be considered a seance. It ended up starting the process that pulled Jeff back into the past.
Enough reminising, be well.

vampire 675

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 01:23:10 AM »
Shame on Barnabas for forcing Magda to take part in the seance!  I wonder if Julianka would have still cursed her if she had not been present.ProfStokes

Magda's fate was sealed the moment she decided vengance on Quentin was worth the inevitable price.

There's a long standing belief among practitioners of magick (sometimes called the Threefold Law) that whatever you send out returns to you three times over.

If you're going to practice malevolence, you must also be well versed in self-protection.  Otherwise, it will almost certainly return to you.  "As ye sew, so shall ye reap" also holds true with very 'ancient gods'.  Magda should have known that....but if everyone on this show did the reasonable, practical thing....there'd be no story!! ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 02:33:40 AM »

How tricky time can be!  While I admire Barnabas's line of reasoning, I still don't see how it could work.  True, Eve won't exist until 1968, but she stole the book from 1795/6--a date that has already occurred.  Assuming that all the tampering that has ever been done on previous trips to the past still stands, shouldn't the book be gone by now?

To nit-pick even further, what are the odds that the history book--such a vital piece of evidence in the trial of a witch--would simply be left lying around in an abandoned, decrepit courthouse?  If the judges didn't immediately order the book to be destroyed, wouldn't they have at least stored it in a safe place?  

I was thinking the same thing. Also, when Eve went back to 1796 Ben had the history book, whom she got it from. So it probably wouldn't have been in the courthouse even if Barnabas was right.

A similar thing happened with Vicki's bracelet. A few episodes after Vicki returned from 1795, Joe gave her a bracelet of hers that he had found in the abandoned courthouse.