Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 115872 times)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2020, 08:54:21 PM »
Great shot today! Wonderful work, MB!

I wonder if they had to build some kind of platform to achieve that shot. Those cameras were huge and heavy, as we all know from the times when they'd accidentally show up in a shot.

Gothick: Yes, that is a great shot. DS had some really great visuals throughout its run.

For this particular shot, my hunch is that they used mirrors.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2020, 06:18:48 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #199 (1967) - Sam - 'Roger MUSTA seen me because he came to the house the next morning and offered me $15,000 for the paintings.'

From "#0198/0199: Robservations 10/10/01: Bitter Truths Revealed!"
Then everything Burke says was true, says Maggie, he wasn't driving that car. No, admits Sam. And Roger was, says Maggie. Yes. And you saw that accident? Yes, says Sam, I was out for a walk, a car was coming down a highway, it was driving very fast, swerving all over the highway, so I knew whoever was driving had to be drunk. Then the man appeared, he was walking down the highway, the car swerved and hit the man. It all happened so fast, I didn't even have time to cry out, I couldn't warn him! Then, says Sam, the car stopped for just a fraction of a second, and drove on, but in that second, I saw Roger behind the wheel--it was Burke's car, Roger was driving it. He didn't get out to help that man? asks Maggie. No, says Sam, there was nothing he could do--the man was dead the minute he hit the pavement Awful! exclaims Maggie. Roger must have seen me, says Sam, because he came to the house the next morning and offered me 15 thousand dollars for the paintings. Neither of us mentioned the word bribe, but we both knew that's what it was.
[/spoiler]

If you think about it, $15,000 was a HUGE amount of money in the '50s - no wonder Sam couldn't turn it down...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2020, 07:10:21 PM »
Great shot today! Wonderful work, MB!

I can't really take too much credit for it because it was Midnite's idea that we use a screen cap of the shot. And I did notice that there's actually a potential problem with what I captured:

Look at Carolyn and Roger's pinkies - they're not touching!! Were they defying Dr. Guthrie?! Or did I experience premature cap snap?!  [ghost_embarrassed]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2020, 02:24:25 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #425 (1796) - Josette - 'I MUST find that ring!'

From "#0425/0426: Robservations 04/03/02: Tragedy on Widows' Hill"
Natalie asks Josette if she left the house voluntarily the previous night.  Josette denies being with anyone. Why did you go to the Old House? asks Natalie-there is nothing but tragic memories for you there. That's not completely true, says Josette-not anymore.  What caused your collapse? asks Natalie--why were you calling for Barnabas?
You wouldn't understand, says Josette softly, noticing that her ring is missing. Her agitation ignites Natalie's; her aunt realizes the prophecy is starting to come true. I must go to the Old House to look for my ring! declares Josette, climbing out of bed--Barnabas will expect me to have the ring. This statement horrifies Natalie, who tries to stop her. They struggle, overturning a small table, breaking the lamp that was on top of it. "The sound of glass shattering," remembers Natalie, who glances at the sky and is aghast to see storm clouds beginning to gather, obscuring the moon.
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2020, 02:50:21 PM »
Hi KMR, I bet you're right about the mirror. Looking at the shot again (thanks MB for including it in your comment), I suddenly flashed back to the huge mirror Julia had hanging over her lab in 1840. (Whenever I watch those episodes now, I get totally distracted wondering just how Julia got that thing up there. A mirror that size would have been extremely heavy. Did Julia have levitation powers she never told anybody about??)

I remember reading decades ago in KLS's very first book about how they did a lot of shots in mirrors on the set, so I'm sure you're correct about this.

Thanks!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2020, 03:32:15 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #566 (1968) - Tom - 'You know now you MUST come to me here every night when I call to you.'

From "Robservations 7/18/02 - #566/567 - Barnabas Learns the Truth"
Julia stands in the woods, looking like a woman who has just had the most erotic experience of her life. Tom circles her, asking if she's sure no one knows where she is. Yes, very sure, she says. He tells her she now knows she must come to him here, every night. "Yes," says Julia happily. She must tell no one, he says, and tells her to return to Collinwood. Eagerly, she tells him she will stay with him, if he wants her to, but he says no, if she's gone too long, it might arouse suspicion. Reluctantly, she leaves him. He gazes after her, pleased.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2020, 03:58:02 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #678 (1969) - David - 'You MUSTN'T hurt him.'

From "Robservations 10/7/02 - #678/679 - Maggie Follows David Into Quentin's Lair"
On the ancient phone in his room, David asks Quentin if he hurt Chris--"You mustn't hurt him!" David asks Quentin why he won't talk to him, but the ghost is apparently peeved.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2020, 03:28:47 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #709 (1897) - Judith - 'I suppose I MUST look at her, MUSTN'T I?'

From "Robservations 10/29/02 - Barnabas Threatens Quentin - #708/709"
Judith and Barnabas enter the study to see Edith. My grandmother will always be alive to me, says Judith--I wish you had known her; your life would have been enriched. Barnabas murmurs agreement. Edith raised us when our parents died, explains Judith. Barnabas comforts her. She loved us all, even Quentin, says Judith--"I suppose I must look at her, mustn't I?" she asks Barnabas. Yes, he says, leading her to the coffin. She gazes at her grandmother.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2020, 02:34:02 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #943 (1970) - Sabrina - 'You MUST take the flower and eat it.'

From "Robservations 5/16/03 - Maggie and the Zombie; Followed By a Moon Poppy"
He opens the door--who's there? he asks. He hears leaves crackling, and finds Sabrina standing there, a package in her arms. I look different, don't I? she asks him--older?--I was afraid you wouldn't want to see me--you never came to me. You know why! cries Chris.  I told no one your secret, she assures him. Maybe you should have, gone to the police, says Chris--you know what's going to happen tonight!  She gazes down at the box in her arms and enters the cottage. What do you want? he asks. I've often tried to picture where you live, she says. Go back to your hotel, he orders. We loved each other, she reminds him. I'm the reason you are what you are, he says, the reason your hair is white, the reason you couldn't talk. That's over now, she says, I've forgotten about those years, and so must you. (generous gal)  I can't--ever, he says. She hands him the box--please open it, she says. He does so, and finds a flower inside. "It will bloom as the moon rises," she explains--it may save you, Chris--I read of it--the moon poppy--you must take and eat the flower. Only a legend, he says. No, it isn't, she says--I found a journal, a new one published in England, a study of lycanthropy, which told of someone being cured--I wrote the author--he sent me this flower, which he raised himself--it's the only one left he knows about--Chris, please believe in it! He thinks it over, holding the flower. You say it's a legend, but you're holding the flower in your hand, she says, can't you believe anymore? What if it's a fraud, the man a fool? asks Chris. Believe, she tells him, believe--if you eat this flower when it blooms, you will never become that thing again-- but you must eat the flower when the moon is shining--at dawn, the flower will die.
[/spoiler]

And once again Robservations rephrased the actual quote...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2020, 03:06:01 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #985 (1970PT) - Alexis - 'I can understand how much you MUST miss her.'

From "#0984/0985: Robservations 06/17/03: Exit the Bride!"
We see the portrait of Angelique fade into the face of Alexis, who is admiring her dead sister's room. "It's exactly as you left it," says Hoffman hoarsely, "nothing has changed." Alexis gazes at her and asks, what are you talking about?--I've never been in this room before.
Hoffman confidentially assures her, I understand about telling everyone you're a twin sister. But I am Angelique's sister, insists Alexis. Hoffman shakes her head--you don't have to lie to me--I always thought Angelique would come back...  Alexis interrupts her--you thought Angelique would come back--that's impossible, she's dead! She is not like others, says Hoffman coldly. She certainly wasn't like anyone else, says Alexis--nevertheless, she is dead, do you hear me, she's dead, and I'm her sister--now if you would get me a nightgown, please, I'm very tired. Hoffman gives her a look, says "Certainly," then asks, which one would you like?  I really can't answer that question, can I? she asks, I've never seen any of them--pick one out for me. Hoffman says of course, I'm sorry, Miss Stokes, if I said anything... It's all right, says Alexis, I understand how much you must miss her, but I wouldn't intimate such a thing to anyone else if I were you--they might be very distressed by it--and so might you. Hoffman gives her a weird look, then opens the closet and takes out a pink nightgown with furry shoulders. This was her favorite, she says.  Thank you, says Alexis, it's lovely.  Hoffman drapes it over a chair, gives Alexis one final look, and leaves. Alexis gazes up at Angelique's portrait.
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2020, 04:47:23 PM »
Great shot of Alexis and Hoffman today!

cheers, Gothick

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2020, 05:28:01 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1100 (1970) - Daphne - 'Can there be hope for this love of ours, or MUST we be forever apart?'

From "#1099/1100: Robservations 09/10/03: Daphne Brought to Life"
Daphne, now wearing a red dress of Vicki's, paces at Rose Cottage.  She's placed Quentin's picture on the table and picks it up, exulting in the forgotten feeling of being alive--of having hope, of love--oh, Quentin, can there be any hope for this love of ours?--or must we be forever apart?--oh, Quentin, Quentin!  (she's taken the bows from her hair, too.)
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2020, 03:22:01 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1150 (1840) - Randall - 'I MUST. I MUST, there is an innocent woman dying in Rose Cottage.'

From "#1150/1151: Robservations 11/03/03: Gerard Gives Daphne Dreams"
Roxanne implores her brother to let her get into her coffin, but Randall says he cannot--this is the only way she will find peace.  Sobbing, Roxanne begs him to let her get to her coffin, but he says he can't until the sun comes up--and it's all over.  Let me live, I don't want to die, she cries, not like this, oh, please don't do this to me!  I must, he says, it's the only thing I can do, after what I've seen here tonight, I can't let you go on the way you are!  I'm not responsible for what I've become, she wails, Randall, I can't help myself!  He asks her who is responsible for making you this way, tell me! he says.  There's no time, she says, please, don't put me through this torture!  I must, he insists, I must, there's an innocent woman dying in Rose Cottage, the only way to save her...
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2020, 03:34:00 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1232 (1841PT) - Bramwell - 'Daphne, nothing MUST ever happen to you. Nothing.'

From " #1232/1233: Robservations 01/07/04: Daphne Falls Ill"
Bramwell comes running in, looking like a little boy on Christmas day.  He races to Daphne's bedside--it's happened, he exclaims--my ship has come in and we're rich!  I'm so happy for you! she says, her face lighting up.  Everything is going to be so different now, he promises, holding her hand, kneeling beside her--I know I haven't been a very good husband, but I've done a lot of thinking on my way back here, and everything will be different--we'll travel, you'll have everything you wanted in life.  Daphne looks at his joyous face--I always wanted to hear you talk like that, she says.  You don't seem very excited, he notes.  I am, she assures him.
Something is wrong, he says--you're pale and have a fever.  It's nothing, she assures him, holding his hand, the doctor was here and he said I'd be all right in a few days--hold me, Bramwell, please, hold me in your arms.  He does, tightly--nothing must ever happen to you, he insists--nothing.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2020, 02:52:06 PM »
I keep forgetting to post a piece of trivia regarding the May 11th's installment in the slideshow. Most probably already know this, but for those who still might not, you might be surprised to find out that the role of 1840's Randall Drew was originally created for Don Briscoe. Unfortunately, though, he was unable to play it...