Author Topic: #1232/1233: Robservations 01/07/04: Daphne Falls Ill  (Read 1510 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1232/1233: Robservations 01/07/04: Daphne Falls Ill
« on: January 02, 2004, 02:11:55 AM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR, ALL! It's my pleasure to provide the final episodes of DS through Robservations. Please contact me at ROBINV@OPTONLINE.NET if you wish to order my Robservations CD, containing every single episode!

1232 - Julia gently strokes Morgan's face, encouraging him, wake up.  He opens his eyes and looks at her.  Morgan? she asks.  Julia? he says.  Thank heavens your're yourself again, she says.  Myself? he asks.  I'll explain later, she says.  He climbs off the bed--how did I get here?  It's a long story, she says, and I'd better start with the last thing that happened.  Julia! he says delightedly, I've survived the room--I'm alive and well and I've broken the curse!  No, she says, a moment ago, the spirit of Brutus Collins appeared here and he said the curse is not ended--it will go on and lead to more tragedy than ever before!

I don't understand, says Morgan--Brutus' original letter stated that if I went into the room and survived, that everything would be all...  No, interrupts Julia, I'm aware of all that, but I just learned something we never knew before--it wasn't James Forsythe that put on the curse, but Brutus Collins.  Morgan is shocked.  The man was obviously half mad, says Julia, and despised by everyone in his family except his sister--and when she turned against him, he became completely mad, and that's when he put on the curse.  Then it was a Collins who did it, says Morgan.  Yes, says Julia, and Brutus who killed his wife, Amanda, and Forsythe.  But why? asks Morgan.
Brutus and James were business partners, she explains--Brutus was cheating Forsythe; the latter found out about it and told Brutus that he knew--Brutus killed him to protect himself.  But why would he kill his own wife? wonders Morgan.  Forsythe and Amanda were lovers, says Julia.  How did you find all these things out? he asks.  You told me, she says--what's the last thing you remember when you went into the locked room?  I remember discovering a secret door in the room, he says, and I opened it to discover another room.  And you found a flight of stairs, she says, that led to a room that had old ledgers in it--and two corpses.  Yes, but how did you know that? he asks.  The two corpses were Amanda and James Forsythe, she says, and somehow, when you were there, Forsythe's spirit possessed you.  You mean I came out of that room as James Forsythe? he asks.  Yes, she says--we were afraid you'd never be yourself again.  How long was I like that? he asks.  Over a week, she says--at first you seemed quite harmless, but then you began to change, and you started to become violent--earlier this evening, we held a seance, hoping to exorcise the spirit from your body.  And you succeeded, says Morgan.  No, she says, the ghost of Brutus Collins managed to get Forsythe's spirit back to his tomb.  I want to learn the rest downstairs, says Morgan--I'm going to find Catherine at once.

Daphne gazes out the Old House window for a few moments, then leaves the house and paces in front of her doorway.  She hears someone coming--Josette, who asks where Bramwell is.  I don't know, says Daphne, turning her back, he's been gone most of the evening.  Are you feeling all right? Josette asks.  Yes of course, says Daphne.  You haven't been happy here, have you? the older woman asks.  Whatever made you say that? asks Daphne.  I know it's true, Josette says, there was a quality about you when you first came here--a spirited, zestful quality--I don't see it anymore, and I know why.  There's really nothing wrong, says Daphne, holding Josette's hand--you've been awfully kind and considerate toward me--nothing that won't work itself out in time--she excuses herself to get some fresh air. Josette gazes sadly after her, then looks at a letter in her hand, addressed to Bramwell.

Morgan comes downstairs to the drawing room and asks Julia, who is doing needlepoint, where might Catherine be?  Haven't you found her? asks Julia.  No, I've looked all over the house, he says impatiently.  Julia, looking circumspect, says, I have no idea where Catherine might be.  Do you know something you aren't telling me? he asks--what else happened while I was possessed?  Nothing, says Julia.  How many times did Bramwell come to this house? he asks.  Now you really must not get upset by that, says Julia, going over to the liquor cabinet.  How often did Bramwell come to this house--I can't believe he stayed away the entire time I was possessed, says Morgan--how often was he here?  A few times, admits Julia.  More like every day, guesses Morgan angrily.  Don't start imagining things, says Julia.  I'm not doing that, he says, I'm just angry, and would like to know why my wife isn't here where she belongs.  (Like a possession, for God's sake--being possessed didn't improve Morgan one bit.)

11:05 - Bramwell's letter sits on the mantel.  He comes home, looking dejected.  Where have you been all evening? asks Josette.  Out walking and thinking, he says.  She hands him the letter, which he anxiously opens.  This is wonderful! he exults, this could be the news I've been waiting for--I'm to meet Daniel Cabot at midnight -he's the one who will have news of my ship!  Josette looks at him.  Aren't you excited? he asks.  Even if the news is good, she says, will it change anything?--will it make life anymore bearable for Daphne?  Bramwell looks guilty.

I don't know what you're talking about, says Bramwell.  Yes you do, says his mother, and it's time you faced up to it.  Faced up to what? he demands.  You're just like your father, she says, he could talk about anything but his own emotional crises.  We'll have to discuss this later, insists Bramwell, I'm going to the village.  No! says Josette, we're going to speak now--if you aren't able to realize the mistake you made, it is up to me to point it out to you.  What mistake are you talking about? he asks.  Your marriage to Daphne, she says--you do know it was a mistake, don't you?  No I don't know, he says, turning away.  Look at me, she says, do you love her?--do you really love her?  I think I do, he says.  You don't THINK you love a person, Bramwell, she says, you know.  All right then I know, he says.  That makes you rather unique, doesn't it? she asks.
I don't know what you mean, he says.  No man can divide his love between two women--you're still in love with Catherine and you know it, she says.  My feelings for her will pass, he says.  You don't believe that anymore than I do, she says--if a man makes a mistake and hurts only himself, that's one thing--but in this situation, Daphne is the one being truly hurt--can't you see that?  Bramwell, ashamed, asks, has Daphne been talking to you?  She hasn't had to, says Josette, it's obvious enough just looking at her.  Where is she now? he asks.  She went out for some air, says Josette.  I do have deep feelings for her, he admits.  Why can't you show them? asks Josette.  I don't know, he says--I want to be close to her, I want our marriage to have some meaning, but for some reason, I haven't even been able to try.  Some reason other than Catherine? asks Josette.  Possibly, he says evasively.  (Oh, just the matter of your unborn grandchild, Josette.)  Do you know what it is? she asks.  No I don't, he says--but at least I'll begin to make an effort, I promise you that.  Don't promise me, promise yourself, begs Josette (she's a good mama), she's a fine woman, and devoted to you--it would take so little to make her happy.  If this is what I think it is, he says, holding up the letter, everything will be different after tonight, believe me--and he leaves.  Josette gazes after him, probably thinking, he believes money will change everything, thus proving he missed her point entirely.

Daphne comes to Collinwood and hesitates before knocking.  She remembers Bramwell's words to Catherine--"It is you I love, and always will love!--nothing can ever change that"  Daphne knocks,  Morgan answers the door.  Realizing he's back to himself, she asks, are you recovered?  Yes, completely, he says.  I'm happy to hear that, she says--we were all terribly concerned about you.  I'm sure Bramwell wasn't very concerned, says Morgan.  She looks down--I'd like to talk to Catherine, she says--is she in?  No, says Morgan, I'd like to talk to Catherine myself.  It's getting late, where is she? asks Daphne.  I think you know the answer to that, says Morgan.  Daphne looks at him.

Morgan walks into the drawing room and pours himself a drink.  Explain what you meant by that, demands Daphne.  I think it's quite obvious what I meant, he says.  I don't think it's obvious at all, says Daphne--I don't know where Catherine is.  Do you know where Bramwell is? he asks.  No, she says.  Do you think it's possible they might be together? he queries.  Is that something you know or just suspect? she asks resentfully.  He sips his drink and says, it's a very real possibility--you see, the week I was possessed, your husband took advantage of me--he saw Catherine every day!--that doesn't seem to surprise you very much--or maybe you didn't know anything about it. No, I didn't KNOW anything, she says.  Then why aren't you defending your husband? he asks.  I don't think it's necessary! she says, if you're implying that Catherine and Bramwell have been unfaithful, I don't believe it! You don't or won't? he demands.  I think the things you said are shocking, accuses Daphne--do you really believe Catherine could be unfaithful to you?  Morgan thinks that over--you're right, he says, I must never think anything like that--I'm sorry--but I'm no less angry at Bramwell--he must not see her anymore, because if he does, I'm going to kill him.  Julia comes in--that isn't the answer, she chastises--I told you not to get upset about this.  I can't help it, he says.  If Catherine and Bramwell have been seeing each other, says Julia, you must believe it's out of friendship.  That isn't the point, says Morgan.  I want you to know something about Catherine, too, says Julia, before you see her--when you were possessed, she was with you all the time, even when you became dangerous, she wanted to be near YOU!  Where is she now? he asks--why isn't she here?  One of the servants just told me she's gone to the Stokes cottage, says Julia.  What is she doing there? she asks.  Carrie was here when we held the seance, explains Julia--at the height of the seance, Morgan ran from the room and Carrie fainted--I suppose Catherine went there to care for her.  I'm going there to get her, he insists.  Morgan, says Daphne, tell Catherine--she raises her hand to her forehead, looking as if she's going to faint.  Julia and Morgan call her name--what's wrong?  I suddenly felt very dizzy, says Daphne.  You'll be better when we take you back to the Old House, says Julia.  I'll be all right, Daphne assures her.  You'll be better off in bed, advises Julia.  No, says Daphne, I want to stay here--I've got to talk to Catherine.  It can wait until morning, says Julia.  Daphne agrees--I feel a bit weak.  Julia and Morgan lead Daphne out of the house.

Josette sits at a table in the Old House drawing room, playing solitaire.  She rises, impatient, and hears the front door.  It's Julia with Daphne, who explains that the young woman got dizzy at Collinwood.  They help Daphne to sit on the sofa, where she pretty much passes out.
Josette comes downstairs with smelling salts.  Daphne's fever has gotten worse, says Julia, running the salts under Daphne's nose.  Daphne awakens, complaining, I feel so warm.  Let's get you upstairs, suggests Julia, holding her hand.  Where's Bramwell? asks Daphne anxiously.  He had to go into the village, says Josette.  Let's go upstairs, says Julia.  No, I want to wait here for Bramwell, insists Daphne.  You're too ill to sit here and wait, objects Julia.  He's never coming back to me, is he? Daphne asks Josette, alarmed.  Taking her other hand, Josette says, of course he is, my dear.  Oh, Josette, how I wish I could believe that! murmurs Daphne.  You must believe it, says Josette, because it's true--let us get you to your feet.  They help her up.  Julia, says Josette, send for Dr. Fletcher.  Yes, says Julia--do you have some alcohol?  Yes, says Josette, I know what to do. They support Daphne between them, but Josette alone helps her upstairs.  Julia leaves.

Morgan opens the case of pistols and takes one out, examining it.  When Julia enters, he puts the gun back.  Have you been with Daphne all this time? he asks.  Almost all, she says--the doctor should be there about now--I'm worried about her, have you seen Catherine?  Yes, he says, she's upstairs.  Did you tell her about Daphne? she asks.  No, I didn't think it was anything serious, he says, but if you think it is, I'll go tell her. Let's wait until we hear what the doctor says, suggests Julia.  You know, says Morgan, I believe I know what is it--I believe Daphne knows where Bramwell's feelings really lie--she knows why he married her--and she's unable to live up to that.  He places his hands on the pistol case--"The man should be shot!"  (Sounds like he might be making secret plans to do just that, doesn't it?)

Old House - Daphne, wearing a pretty white nightgown, comes downstairs. Josette, shocked to see her out of bed, asks, what are you doing?  I want to be here, insists Daphne, to greet Bramwell when he comes home.  But you know what the doctor said, protests Josette--you need complete rest--you must stay in bed.  When is he coming home? asks Daphne.  Soon, promises Josette, very soon.  She helps the ill young woman slowly back upstairs.

Collinwood - Morgan pours himself another drink.

Josette leads a nearly fainting Daphne back to bed, the same one in which Bramwell recuperated from being shot.  Why did Bramwell go into the village? asks Daphne.  He had to meet a man, at midnight, says Josette, covering her with blankets, something to do with his ship.  He's been so worried about his ship, says Daphne.  I know, says Josette--now lie back and try to rest.  You bring him here as soon as he comes home? asks Daphne.  The very moment he arrives, says Josette.  Thank you, says Daphne.  Josette looks at the door, miserable.  Why do you look so sad? asks Daphne.  I'm not sad at all, says Josette, tears in her voice.  Bramwell comes home--Daphne! he calls excitedly--I have wonderful news!  Daphne sits up in bed--Josette, she says, let me be alone with Bramwell.  Whatever you say, says Josette.  Bramwell comes running in, looking like a little boy on Christmas day.  He races to Daphne's bedside--it's happened, he exclaims--my ship has come in and we're rich!  I'm so happy for you! she says, her face lighting up.  Everything is going to be so different now, he promises, holding her hand, kneeling beside her--I know I haven't been a very good husband, but I've done a lot of thinking on my way back here, and everything will be different--we'll travel, you'll have everything you wanted in life.  Daphne looks at his joyous face--I always wanted to hear you talk like that, she says.  You don't seem very excited, he notes.  I am, she assures him.
Something is wrong, he says--you're pale and have a fever.  It's nothing, she assures him, holding his hand, the doctor was here and he said I'd be all right in a few days--hold me, Bramwell, please, hold me in your arms.  He does, tightly--nothing must ever happen to you, he insists--nothing.

Downstairs, Josette wrings the hell out of a handkerchief.  Bramwell comes downstairs--what happened to Daphne? he asks.  It came so suddenly, she says.  What did the doctor say? he asks.  She turns away, unable to reply.  Again, he demands, "TELL ME WHAT THE DOCTOR SAID!"
She's dying, Bramwell, says Josette sadly--Daphne's dying.

NOTES:  Oh, hell, does Daphne perhaps have the plague?  I guess not, since they didn't say so.  Is she really going to die?  That would be so terrible now that Bramwell has decided to be a devoted husband, but it would be true to the irony we see on DS.  Look what they did to Angelique at the end of 1840.  Bramwell now has the bucks and even the resolve to become a good husband--but is it too late?  Will Young-Ingenue-Mysterious-Soap-Opera-Disease claim Daphne's life?

Morgan seems back to his nasty self..  Did he have to say all those cruel things to Daphne?  I think he was left with some residue of that room.  They never showed his reunion with Catherine, an oversight, I think.  She must have been very happy to see him back to himself after dealing with Forsythe for a week.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:#1232/1233: Robservations 01/07/04: Daphne Falls Ill
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 07:30:58 PM »
1233 - Old House - Bramwell answers the door to Catherine--Morgan had just told me Daphne had been sick since last night, she says--I don't understand why he didn't tell me sooner--what's wrong with her?  Bramwell hangs his head--I'm seeing the doctor again later today, he says.  The doctor was just here! says Catherine--what did he say?  Bramwell doesn't answer.  Tell me what the doctor said, she commands.  "He was certain only of one thing," says Bramwell--"Daphne is dying."

Catherine shakes her head--no, it can't be true!  I'd give me life to make it a lie, he says, but it is true
--when Mother told me the news, I went to see Dr. Fletcher myself--he doesn't know what's wrong with her.  Doesn't know? says Catherine--he's a doctor, of course he knows (spoken like a doctor's daughter).  He wasn't able to diagnose the illness, says Bramwell, he could only tell that she is dying--all the vital life signs are weakening, she hasn't the will to fight--unless the situation changes soon, she will not have very much time.  It can't be true, insists Catherine--she's so young, she's never been sick before in her life.  I know, says Bramwell--if this happens to her, then I will be responsible.  Why? asks Catherine.  I married her, then completely neglected her, he says--I've given her nothing to live for, and now she's dying.  You mustn't blame yourself, says Catherine.  But I do, he says--last night I came home with such good news--my ship had arrived--I now have as much wealth as I'd ever want, now it means nothing to me--I would gladly give it all up if I thought it would make her well again.  Catherine rises from the sofa--if anyone is to blame, I am, she says--the way I've treated her since she married you--she must think I hate her by now.  The fact is, says Bramwell, you are right, Daphne should have listened to you--I married Daphne because I was hurt and angry at you--but now, I feel very deeply toward her--do you believe that?  Yes of course I do, says Catherine, I believe it--what I don't believe is that she is going to die--we must find another doctor, we must find someone to help her.  Dr. Fletcher suggested we get someone in for consultation, says Bramwell, but he didn't hold out much hope--we mustn't fool ourselves.  Does she know? asks Catherine.  No, she has no idea, he says.  Poor Daphne, laments Catherine, shaking her head, my poor sister--she hasn't even lived!--and now she's...  She begins to cry.  Bramwell starts to reach out to touch her, comfort her, then withdraws his hands without making contact and walks away.  May I go up and see her? asks Catherine.  Yes, he says, but be careful not to reveal anything to her.  I'll be careful, promises Catherine, and goes upstairs.  Bramwell watches her.

Collinwood - Kendrick has brought Carrie to Collinwood.  I really shouldn't be here, she protests, my father will be furious.  It will only take a minute, he says--I'm really glad I met you out there.  She goes into the drawing room, where a new sofa has been placed.  Kendrick follows her in, closing the doors.  I've been very anxious to talk to you about this gift you have, he says--I understand you can see and hear things others can't.  Sometimes I can, she says.  Would you be willing to use this gift? he asks.  I've been forbidden to use it ever again--I'm sorry, she says.  Forbidden? he asks.  Yes, my father is very angry over something that happened here the other night, she says--I'm not supposed to talk about it--my father told me never to use it again, especially here at Collinwood--I'm sorry to disappoint you, she says.  It's not me who will be disappointed, he says, it's Melanie.  She looks at him--Melanie?  Yes, says Kendrick, she's the one who needs the help.  What's troubling her? she asks  A lot of things, says Kendrick, but one more than the rest--I think it would give her great peace of mind to learn who her parents are.  Are? asks Carrie--I thought her parents were dead.  That may be true, he says, but I have an odd feeling it isn't--put yourself in Melanie's position--how would you feel about it?  I suppose I'd feel the same way--I'd want to know all I could about them, says Carrie.  Then would you please help her? asks Kendrick.  It's not as easy as you seem to think, she says--and then there's my father, you don't know what he's like when he gets angry.  He needn't ever know, says Kendrick.  But he might find out, objects Carrie.  Are you close to Melanie? he asks.  Yes, the girl admits, we're very fond of each other.  Just think how much good you can do her, says Kendrick--just think about it.

Daphne lies asleep, Catherine sitting beside her.  Daphne awakens--Catherine, how long have you been sitting there?  Just a few minutes, says Catherine.  You should have awakened me, says Daphne.  I knew you needed your rest, says Catherine, besides, I didn't mind waiting.  I feel rather foolish, says Daphne, taking ill so suddenly and having to be waited on by everyone--you look very beautiful, Catherine.  I feel anything but beautiful, says Catherine.  Is something troubling you? asks Daphne.  I've just been troubled every since...  ...since I married Bramwell, finishes Daphne.
I've been so unkind to you since you did marry him, says Catherine.  No you haven't, says Daphne--not really, I should have tried harder to understand (St. Daphne is in the house).  No, I shouldn't have been so much against it, says Catherine, not if that was what you really wanted, I should have tried to make you happy, given you a chance.  Even if you tried, you couldn't have done it, says Daphne, because you couldn't have changed what had already happened in the past.  Sitting on the bed, Catherine says, I could have tried to make it easier for you, couldn't I?  Bramwell says everything is going to be different now, says Daphne--his ship's come in, did he tell you that?  Catherine nods and turns away--yes he did, she says, tears in her voice.  Daphne raises a hand to her forehead--he's waited and worried about it for such a long time, she says--now I'm so happy for him--he told me I'm going to have everything I ever wanted--that we'll go places together and do thinks together, so it's going to be...  Catherine, unable to listen further, begins to cry.  Why are you crying? asks Daphne--please tell me what's wrong.  But Catherine can't speak.

Kendrick waits impatiently in the Collinwood drawing room, pacing.  He smiles when Melanie comes in and runs into his arms.  They kiss enthusiastically.  I wasn't expecting to see you today, she says.  I think you had more than enough time, he says, I asked you to marry me, remember?  Yes, I remember, she says.  Don't say no, he says.  You can't imagine how much I want to say yes, she says.  Then say it, he says.  It isn't as easy as you seem to think, it never would be, there are so many drawbacks to think about, says Melanie.  We have discussed all of them, he reminds her.  We've admitted they exist, she says--we have not discussed how detrimental they can be to a marriage.  She sits on the sofa.  He sits beside her--I love you, he says, and am willing to accept all the drawbacks, run all the risks--in fact, I've already started--I talked to Carrie, who's going to help you find out who your real parents are and if they're still alive.  Whatever made you ask Carrie a thing like that? wonders Melanie.  I always had a feeling there was good reason Julia told you so little about your parents, he says--when you do find out, I think it's going to come as a great surprise to you.  What made you think Carrie could help? she asks.  I heard about this second sight of hers, I thought it would be worth a try, he replies.  What did she say? asks Melanie eagerly.  She was reluctant at first, he says, but when she heard it was for you, she said she would do it, and be here this evening.  Do you really think she can tell me anything? asks Melanie.  She said it was gong to be very difficult, unless you had a personal object that belonged to one or both of your parents, he says.  Melanie, disappointed, says, I don't have such a thing, and never have had.  We'll have to find something, he says.  How? she asks.  Think about Justin Collins, what he'd said to you, if he'd ever shown you anything, says Kendrick.  She thinks it over--I can't think of a thing, she says--but I have an idea--if anything belonging to either of my parents were still in this house, it would be in Papa's study.  Then let's go look for it, right now, he says.  Arms around each other, they leave.

We see Bramwell's downcast face as he waits for Catherine to come downstairs.  She does, walking slowly, as if she's carrying a huge burden.  You've been crying, he says, hands in his pockets.  I couldn't help myself, she says.  You didn't tell her anything, did you? he asks.  Of course not, she says--I told her it was my shame at having come between the two of you--I've never felt in my life the way I did just now--looking at her face--when she began to speak about the future, I couldn't bear it.  I know, he says.  It's so wrong, says Catherine, her face crumbling into tears--there's got to be something we can do for her, there's got to be!  We can keep on hoping, he says, but remember, Dr. Fletcher said there's no hope whatsoever.  Unable to bear it any longer, Catherine runs from the house.

Justin's study - Melanie, holding a candle, warns Kendrick, who is opening and closing desk drawers, please put everything back exactly the way you found it.  Julia will never know we've been here, Kendrick assures her.  I'm more concerned about her finding us while we are here, says Melanie.  Nothing in this desk, says Kendrick, we've searched all over--where else can we look?  I'm afraid it would be a waste of time to look elsewhere, says Melanie--remember, I told you Julia found me here once before--I think that if any evidence did exist, she destroyed it then.  Kendrick smacks one hand angrily into another and says, "JULIA, JULIA, JULIA--it always comes back to Julia!" Yes, it does, she agrees.  I'm convinced she knows the truth, says Kendrick, why won't she tell us?--if we could only guess.  Don't you feel she's protecting me? asks Melanie.  From what? asks Kendrick, from telling you who your real parents are--there's no understanding to it.  I don't know, she says, but we must get out of here.  Kendrick pulls out a large desk drawer and searches inside.  The desk is deeper than the drawer, he says.  You think there's something behind the drawer? asks Melanie.  That's what I'm going to find out, he says.  He finds a compartment with something inside.  It's a wooden box, with a metal label that says "Melanie" on it.  Inside is a blue lace handkerchief, a brooch, a bracelet and a letter--"These are for Melanie, when she grows up," it says.
This must have been written by my mother, says Melanie.  These things must have belonged to her, says Kendrick.  Yes, agrees Melanie, smiling--she wanted me to have them.  Why didn't Justin Collins tell you about them when you grew up? he asks.  That was after his stroke, suggests Melanie, he was still in a state of shock--I'm sure he'd forgotten all about this box.  Kendrick replaces the items in the box--never mind, he says, we found it, we should go.  Replace the drawer, she reminds him.  He does.  They leave.

Daphne lies in bed.  When Bramwell comes in, she reaches out her hand and he takes it.  You've spent all day here with me, she says, I would have thought, since your ship had come in, you'd be so busy.  I have no desire to go anywhere or do anything, he says, I just want to be with you.  You mean that, don't you? she asks, her face very pale.  Yes I do, he says softly.  Why are you so sad? she asks.  I'm not sad, he says, but you can hardly expect me to look happy when you're not well.  She looks away.  Look here, he says, it seems to me I remember a time when you nursed me back to health and hardly left my side--I must do the same thing for you, shouldn't I?  You mean nurse me back to health? she asks.  Of course, he says.  But you know that isn't possible, she says.  Not only is it possible, he says, but looks down, unable to continue.  Look at me, she says--you know I'm going to die, don't you?

Whatever makes you say a thing like that? asks Bramwell, disturbed.  Because I know it's true, she says.  It ISN'T true, he insists, you must not think such things!  I'm not afraid, she assures him.  Daphne, please! he begs.  No, she says, you listen to me--I think I've known from the beginning, from the look on Dr. Fletcher's face and the way everyone is reacting--it's not an easy thing to conceive.  You've imagined this, he insists, it's not so!
I've admitted it to myself, she says, there's really no reason to pretend anymore--she caresses his face--it's much easier for us if we don't have to lie to each other--please let me be honest, Bramwell, at least with you.  Daphne, he says, I assure you, I'm going to make everything all right again.  Bramwell, she asks, how much time do I have?  Don't talk like that! he pleads, there's a chance--there has to be a chance--I have all the money I need now--we'll send to Boston for a specialist, he'll do what Dr. Fletcher wasn't able to do.  No, she says, you've got to be realistic, we both have to face this without fear.  Daphne, I will not let you die, he vows, I cannot, not like this--I realize something now I should have known a long time ago--I love you, Daphne--I love you.  You said that to me once before, she reminds him, and I didn't believe you then--but you really mean it now, don't you, Bramwell.  Daphne, he says, drawing her into his arms, I don't want to lose you!  She holds him close.

Collinwood - Melanie closes the double doors.  Carrie, who sneaked out of her cottage when her father thought she was sleeping, says, if he finds out I was here, he'll be furious.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate this, says Melanie.  Did you find anything from either of your parents? asks Carrie.  Melanie opens the box she and Kendrick found--choose whatever item you think will work best, says Melanie.  Carrie selects the handkerchief--are you sure it belonged to you mother?  I'm almost positive, answers Melanie.  Carrie holds the handkerchief and concentrates.  Her eyes go wide--something's happening, she says--vibrations, very strong vibrations--an image is shaping--a woman--she's leaning over a coffin--your father is in the coffin.  Then my father is dead, realizes Melanie sadly.  Yes, he is dead, says Carrie, but Melanie!--your mother's still alive, and still somewhere very close by!
Melanie gazes at her in amazement.

NOTES:  So, who is Melanie's mother?  We shall soon know, and the story behind it will be quite a surprise.

It seems to me that Daphne willed herself to get ill.  She realizes her sister and Bramwell still love each other and perhaps wanted to get out of their way.  There's still the matter of Morgan, but she probably realizes he's not a major impediment.  Now everything is very sad as the clan forgets their differences and gathers around Daphne.  Why someone's vital signs would just begin to deteriorate that way tells me this is the infamous Mysterious Soap Opera Heroine's Sudden Disease.

Catherine and Bramwell must feel pretty terrible right now.  They deserve to, of course.  This is all their fault, and if not for their selfishness, wouldn't have happened.  Bramwell seems ready to be a husband to Daphne now, but it appears it will be too little, too late.

Sad scenes between Catherine and Daphne and Bramwell and Daphne.  She's a bright girl, and a doctor's daughter, too, she caught all the signs that she's in bad shape, and she's realistic enough to face them herself and want her loved ones to face them, too.

Where will all this end?  Anyone notice how weird Morgan's acting, stranger than ever?  Between the pistols and the drinking and brooding, it seems his time in the room might have affected him somehow after all.

Love, Robin