Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 721595 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Perhaps I spoke too soon. I'm was too tired to watch all of tonight's installment of The Voice, but I scanned though the commercial breaks and lo and behold I discovered a new 30 second spot which does include the remark about the Collinses holding balls - but the comment isn't followed by the remark from Roger. The other new stuff actually includes Carolyn putting a record on her turntable, Barnabas asking Carolyn how to court a present day woman and her giving him advice, new stuff with the hippies (it's actually the hippies he tells that he's spent two centuries locked in a box), a sequence where Carolyn looks like she's frightened out of her mind, and finally one where Barnabas looks completely disgusted. And I do have to say that when it comes to the line about the balls, the double entendre probably is intended, but it isn't played up in any way - the line is delivered perfectly straightforwardly - and during one of the many scenes at the dining room table.

I'm not sure whether or not I'll post any captures or video tonight because, like I said, I'm tired - plus my computer is running something that's going to take at least another 30 minutes to complete. So most likely nothing will show up until some point tomorrow...

16 days 23 hours 49 minutes 35 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I attended my first Los Angeles Festival of Books yesterday.  One of the biggest draws for me was the "Bump in the Night" supernatural fiction panel at 11:30 featuring Seth Grahame-Smith, Richard Kadrey, Deborah Harkness, and Melissa de la Cruz.  I even reserved my ticket in advance online, expecting the panel to sell out.  The audience was large, but by no means was the panel standing room only.  Paul Tremblay, who was brought out from Boston specifically to moderate the panel, mostly addressed the authors individually with specific questions about their work rather than inviting them to discuss the genre or the writing process in general.  Personally, I found that approach less accessible, since I'd never read any of the panelists' books and couldn't fully follow the details of the discussion.  However, I'm sure the authors appreciated the opportunity to discuss--and pitch--their particular works.

SGS got the most panel time.  The moderator introduced him as the author of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Unholy Night, "and the script for Tim Burton's new movie, Dark Shadows." At this point, there was a brief hush, followed by whistling and a smattering of applause from the audience (I don't know if this was on behalf of DS or Tim Burton).  Behind me, a young woman said, "I want to see that!"  So there is some positive anticipation for the film.

Tremblay then began describing the plot of SGS's new book, Unholy Night.  "You decided it wasn't enough to piss of Jane Austen fans.  Now you've made  the Bible gritty...Will you have to go into hiding like Salman Rushdie?"  Grahame-Smith laughed and spoke of his surprise at how accepting the reading public is of his work.  "Jane Austen fans have a sense of humor.  I even got a call from Doris Kearns Goodwin telling me she loved Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter."  He explained the rules he established for himself with Unholy Night: 1) The name "Jesus" is never mentioned.  2) The Jesus character is only two weeks old in the novel and never says anything, obviating the problem of putting words in Christ's mouth, and 3) whenever Mary and Joseph appear, they are paragons of virtue.  The story is primarily about Balthazar's journey from doubt to faith, and not an attempt to mock the Bible. 

Fellow panelist, Richard Kadrey, joked, "I think Seth is going to make the most money of any of us; they can't return your books to the store once they've burned them!"  "But will I be alive to get the royalties?" Seth wondered.

Grahame-Smith acknowledged that his works have a "somewhat absurd premise, but the more absurd your premise, the more grounded your execution has to be.  What really pulls you through the narrative is character.  You have to give them an emotional landscape that feels real.  You don't give Lincoln the Mel Brooks treatment." He explained his inspiration for  Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter: "I was doing a tour in the summer of 2009, the Centennial of Lincoln's birthday, and in every bookstore I went to, the biggest displays up front were biographies of Lincoln and vampire novels.  I thought, 'If you could find some way to combine the two, you'd have a license to print money!'"

When asked about the experience of screenwriting, particularly adapting his own novel for the screen , SGS made some comments that I thought were very revealing.  "When you're an author, you're God.  You get to do whatever you want and you don't have to explain yourself to anybody--except maybe arguing with your editor a little.  But when you're a screenwriter, you really have to service the vision of the director, even on your own book." (my emphasis) Even though he was speaking of his experience with  ALVH, I suspect the same was true of DS.

When the moderator opened the floor for the audience's Q&As, one of the first questions asked was why horror continues to be so appealing to people. SGS shared his theory about why we love scary things.  "Thousands of years ago, our ancestors faced constant danger.  They had to go out and kill their food.  Today, in our modern world of creature comforts, we lack scares but we still have a physical need for them.  Horror fills that need.  It's an affirmation of life."  He added that supernatural creatures also appeal to our specific psychological needs.  "Vampires have an aspirational quality.  They don't have to die.  What would you do with all of that time?  We wonder about having the powers of angels and witches.  What would we do with them?"  All of  the panelists agreed that human beings are often the scariest creatures in their works.  "The monsters may want to kill you, but they aren't responsible for wanting to kill you," SGS explained.  "Look at one of the earliest horror stories: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.  The monster was happily resting in his coffin--a brain over here, a skull over there.  He didn't ask to be created; it was the scientist's fault. Man creates the monsters. We did this to ourselves."

A young girl who is a student in the creative writing program and enjoys reading and writing genre stories complained about how the more serious writers look down on her.  "It's like if you can't quote Kafka and Proust, you're not worth anything.  Do you have that problem with your work?"  The authors counseled her not to let people put her in a box.  "People are always trying to label me.  I'm 'the mash-up guy,'" SGS observed.  "In academia, you get looked down on, but not by the general public.  Look at all the popular movies that have magic, the supernatural, or superheroes in them."

The panelists were also asked how long it takes them to research their works.  SGS explained that he does a lot of research prior to writing.  "I try to really know my history before I destroy it."

From the lengthy interview with SGS that was reposted here a couple of weeks ago, I had anticipated a big personality, someone loud and outspoken.  On the contrary, this Sunday morning, Mr. Grahame-Smith seemed the most reserved of anyone on the panel.  He was always the first to respond to questions addressed to the panel, but when he wasn't speaking, he leaned back in his chair, arms crossed and a neutral expression on his face instead of smiling expectantly into the microphone like Deborah Harkness and Maria de la Cruz.  Maybe he was tired, or he's not much of a morning person?   I thought he was a good speaker, both witty and self-deprecating. He knows his success is unlikely and appreciates it for that very reason.

When the panel concluded, the authors headed outside to covered tents to sign their books.  A dealer's table was set up in the lobby of the building where the panel had been held, and audience members quickly lined up to start buying books.   I was reluctant to buy anything myself, but I did want to meet SGS, so after hemming and hawing and seeing that only one copy of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was left (the other titles had all sold out), I took it as a sign and bought the book. (If it was good for Doris Kearns Goodwin, it's good enough for me).  SGS had the longest line of all--in fact, the other four authors had long since departed by the time I got into line--and he continued signing for a full hour after the panel ended.  He was an excellent sport; although we were supposed to limit ourselves to three items, several people had entire stacks of books with them (one woman had multiple editions of P&P & Zombies in addition to hard- and paperback versions of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter) and he signed them all.  He also posed for pictures and chatted leisurely with the fans. 

When I finally reached the front of the line, SGS greeted me warmly and thanked me for standing so long in line. He seemed much more animated than when he'd spoken on the panel (maybe SGS is more comfortable in one-on-one interactions than in speaking to a huge audience?)  I told him I was pleasantly surprised to see him at the FOB, considering how busy he is these days.  "You've got to do the Festival of Books.  You can't miss it!" he enthused.  "You get to meet so many people.  It's a real ego booster."  I asked him how much of DS he had seen for research purposes before working on the script.  "I had a couple of the boxed sets, the compilation discs, and the compendiums. (Kathy Resch's Concordances?) It wasn't possible to watch the entire series."  I remarked that I had seen one of the movie preview screenings and could tell that he'd done his homework from the number of more obscure series references in the film.  "We're just finishing the final cut of the film now," he confirmed.  The ending has been finalized and "it is very dark." :) "I'm so excited for you that you'll get to see the final product in just a couple more weeks!"  He was so genial, I didn't have the heart to admit that I wasn't crazy about his movie.  We shook hands and I wished him luck with all of his projects before heading to my next panel on the other side of campus. 

I came away with a positive impression of the author. I think Grahame-Smith is very sincere about his work (even if he often uses a goofy premise as a jumping off point) and tries to put his subjects in a positive light.  I believe he tried to do right by the DS fans and, while I'm not happy about the tone and direction of the movie, I don't think he was deliberately irreverent with the material.

I'd love to hear privately from people who do see the movie how the ending turned out in the final cut.  I'm curious to see if my interpretation was correct.

ProfStokes

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
MB, you know we look forward to both with great relish, but understand that you have to have a break every now then.   [ghost_wink]

ProfStokes, what an interesting experience that must have been.  Your post was written just like an episode of Dark Shadows, providing us little clues about what was going to happen until the payoff in the big finale.  I just knew that we would end up getting a nice visit with SGS.  [ghost_wink] I am pleased to know that you took away a positive impression.  I was pleased to hear him say that the ending was very dark.  I suppose the backlash to the humor ended up causing some changes after all?  It would have been great had some of this humor been left on the cutting room floor, but I guess none of us will know for sure just how dark it will end up being until the final cut is released.  I'm sure you will hear about it from someone who gets to see a midnight show, but, if not, I'd be willing to share the ending with you after I see it. 

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Quite an interesting article there, Prof. Stokes. SGS comes across as very charming and friendly. Please post your comments on the book after you've read it.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
So I heard back from my Hollywood friend.  This person couldn't reveal a lot, but had this to say:

"My friends who are working on Dark Shadows all seem really excited about it.  It is a different interpretation of the source. They are enthusiastic about it and think original fans will like the film despite the fact that it is different."

And in answer to the big question about the genre...

This person said it was a "dark comedy. There are funny things, but the film is true to the elements of the original."

But, after the latest round of TV spots, I think we saw it going in that direction.  Again, this person is extremely reliable and knows people who worked on the actual post-production.  So I think that answers all of my questions about what to expect from the final product.  Expectations slightly lowered, but not by much. 

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Sorry cousins that I was so excited and sort of upset that the movie supposedly doesn't leave it open for there to be sequels; however, I feel that Mr. Burton could have possibly shot two or maybe three different endings. IF they are just finishing up the final cut then a lot could have changed since Prof. Stokes saw the movie.

I do feel that the test audience's probably wanted the movie to be a bit more dark and perhaps they will darken it up more. 

And I really don't know why I was upset. This is DS after all, anything can happen. I mean in HODS Barnabas was staked and I mean IMPALED, yet as the film ended he turned into a bat and flew away and we all know there would have been a sequel if Frid would have done it.  So anything is possible in the world of Dark Shadows. 

I also want to add that MB sent a nice calming note to me.  I have no doubt that WB would love to see a franchise out of DS.

Perhaps, if we do get sequels, even if Tim cannot direct them he would probably produce them.  He could use the first movie as a guide post for what tone he would like for all the sequels if they were directed by others.

If the movie is a big hit; I can totally see Johnny wanting to play Barnabas again. He loves and adores this character. I wasn't in the "run home from school" generation but he certainly was and I am sure he would have no qualms stepping back into Barnabas shoes.

I think if everyone has been reading my posts all the past months my biggest qualm with the DS fans is that Dark Shadows needs fresh blood injected into it. Many times I have said, the cast is getting older (and this week we have learned that are not the immortal gods we see them as) the first generation fans are getting older. I guess I would be second generation fan and I am getting older. So we need fresh blood in Dark Shadows fandom.

I hate that Jonathan passed away; yet it seems like his love/hate affair with Barnabas came full circle.  He become a part of the world's lexicon by portraying Barnabas Collins and he ended his life by making a cameo in the new Dark Shadows movie. I am sure that Jonathan, KLS, Lara and David all read the script and if they can accept a new version of DS why can't we give it a shot?  I think it would be a great honor to Mr. Frid's life to go out on May11 and see Dark Shadows.  Whether you leave the movie loving it, hating, feeling indifferent toward it at least you will have contributed to the legacy of Dark Shadows and the legacy of Mr. Jonathan Frid and our original actors who play in the movie.  A lot of re imaginings don't even ask the originals to be their re imagined works; yet Johnny and Tim had the grace and love for these four people and asked them to come spend three days with them and step into the Dark Shadows again. It seems that Mr. Frid wasn't feeling all that well even then so if he could take great effort to fly to London at 87; then I can go to the theater on May 11 2012 and see what DS has in store for me.

I also ask myself why can the classics which DS ripped off many times can be retold on screen and on stage over and over; yet the classic that is Dark Shadows shouldn't be touched as some claim?

I don't feel anyone is trying to improve upon anything that was produced  in the original Dark Shadows. I feel that Johnny and Tim are just trying to introduce DS to another generation just like they were introduced to DS 46 years ago and I was introduced to DS 21 years ago.

For me when I go to the movie I feel like I will be perpetuating the DS legacy and also Mr. Frid's legacy.  All I am asking is that each and every one of us keep an open mind and heart!

Also, I have a friend who is taking pictures all over NYC and Dark Shadows is on subway stations, it's has a huge billboard in time square and it seems DS is all over NYC on buses and just everywhere.  That is amazing to me because that is where DS began. It seems so fitting.

Also my brother wrote to me from Philly yesterday and sent me a photo of Julia Hoffman and her 60's poster plain as day by a bus stop. He was excited because He and I, and my two cousins made our own Dark Shadows movie in the 90's which I hope to upload to Youtube one day.  My bro was the camera man, makeup man, and stand in. I played both Barnabas and Petofi and when the camera needed to show me he stood in for me (a gray wig with Petofi and we both have the same color red hair) as Petofi and Barnabas.  My cousin Amber played Julia and my other cousin played Carolyn.  What great fun it was. We made a great movie for 13 year old kids.  I will post it on YouTube when I figure out how to.  It of course ends on a cliffhanger.  My aunt wouldn't allow my cousin to be in them anymore because she thought the show was evil. So we moved on to THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN & BIONIC WOMAN. My brother had went to college by then and all of my friends got involved. We shot TSMDM & TBW over the course of a week. We got up at 8 am and worked until 6 pm. One fight scene took all day to rehearse and then film.  My friend and I spent 10 hours straight editing the movie. We lived in a small town and had nothing to do so did movies to pass the time. We worked really hard on that movie and I have to say for the technology we had then it turned out pretty damn well. I will post it as soon as I figure out how! 

Sorry I am so talkative tonight.  Just so excited about Dark Shadows.

PS...thank you everyone for the links. Thank your for the caps MB. And thank you to MB and Midnite for running such a wonderful board.

You guys are great moderators and put so much love, time and effort into DS. I bow to you guys!

Peace and love,
Taeylor
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Thanks ProfStokes for your description of the Festival Of Books.  I've heard one radio interview of SGS and agree that he comes across as very down to earth and pleasant.  I've liked his few interviews in the written press, as well.  I imagine his lack of animation on the panel may have to do with not wanting to speak in front of crowds.  I can definitely identify with that.  I was extremely shy as a kid, and my worst fear was that the teacher would pick on me to answer a question, or that I would have to give a speech in front of the class.  As an adult, as a research scientist, I have to give presentations to groups at least once or twice a year, and after doing it so many times I've gotten used to it to some extent, but the feeling never completely goes away.  I have been told I appear to be very calm and natural, and I feel *mostly* calm, but definitely not natural.  Whereas if I am explaining something to someone one-on-one, I feel totally different.  Perhaps SGS is a little like that. 

I read Abraham Lincoln-Vampire Hunter last year while on vacation with my sister.  She was mocking me for reading a book with such a title, and at first I thought it was going to be just a lark.  But as I got into it I thought it was quite well done and actually pretty serious- at least as much a historical novel as a horror one.  I told her that she would probably like it if she could just get past the title, but she wasn't buying it :)  I don't know if it'll be your cup of tea, ProfStokes, but I hope it'll be worth the purchase.  I myself look forward to the movie.

Thanks MB and all for your descriptions of the new TV spot.  I haven't seen it yet but I've been seeing various TV spots more often lately, even though I'm not watching a great deal of TV right now.  Johnny and Tim do like to make little off-color puns, and as MB described, often they're not played for out-loud laughs, but rather in the vein of making you think, "wait, did they just say that?" I just think that it's part of their sense of humor, for better or for worse- I myself love 99% of them and do have about 1% that I groan at- hopefully DS will be more among my 99%!

Offline MysticScribe

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
I haven't been watching much TV or actively seeking out trailers, but I saw one last night with some things that I haven't seen mentioned here. One is Liz with the shotgun and the other shows Barnabas standing with his back or shoulders on fire. Someone offscreen (Liz, perhaps) says "do you know you're on fire?" then he's doused with a bucket of water.
"I think I'll just go into Collinsport and get drunk." ~ Tim Shaw

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks ProfStokes for the panel interview review. That was very entertaining and informative. Thanks CB for your friends assistance.

Thanks Taeylor Collins for your spirited post.

I am pretty sure this movie was written and filmed as a stand alone movie. I don't think SGS was told something like "leave room for a sequel". I am sure the studio would like to make sequels if it turns out to be a big hit. However, this is DS so I agree anything is possible.

Another poll: http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/summer-movies-2012-best-non-action-movie/

http://www.examiner.com/article/dark-shadows-and-it-s-link-to-tarrytown-n-y

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wow - I think DS is winning that poll - it currently has 70.37% of the vote.  [ghost_cool]

Thanks for the links, jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Here are the first 3 screen captures from the new 30 second TV spot:

Click for larger image: Capture #30

Click for larger image: Capture #50

Click for larger image: Capture #84

16 days 11 hours 15 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Here are the next 3:

Click for larger image: Capture #128

Click for larger image: Capture #174

Click for larger image: Capture #214

16 days 11 hours 12 minutes 15 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And the next 3:

Click for larger image: Capture #292

Click for larger image: Capture #356

Click for larger image: Capture #373

It's amusing that Carolyn tells Barnabas that he's too weird and should hang around with some "normal people," and then we see him with the hippies.  [ghost_grin]

And the stretching sequence coincides with Barn telling the hippies about having spent two centuries locked in a box. His stretching goes on much longer than we've seen before.

16 days 11 hours 5 minutes 48 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And the final 4:

Click for larger image: Capture #473

Click for larger image: Capture #515

Click for larger image: Capture #572

Click for larger image: Capture #646

In this version, after Barnabas makes the "biggest balls" remark, we see the mirror ball crash, Carolyn whirl around, Julia ask if he's for real, and Roger say "Yeah."

And speaking of Carolyn, when I was picking the capture I noticed stereo equipment on the sideboard, so she may actually be dancing and what looks like a frightened expression on her face could simply be a dancing expression. Or she may get frightened while she's dancing. I suppose we'll have to wait until we see the film to find out.

And this spot is the first time we see Alice Cooper through Barnabas' binoculars.

And as for video, it seems as if that will have to wait for a while because for some unknown reason my software is refusing to create it correctly. But hopefully I'll figure out why...

16 days 10 hours 54 minutes 24 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reports, ProfStokes and Cousin_Barnabas.  [ghost_smiley]

And thanks for the heads up, MysticScribe. Another new TV spot to look forward to - excellent!  [ghost_cool]

16 days 10 hours 47 minutes 10 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!