Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716756 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: (**JOSHUA CAST??** Reply #681) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #990 on: September 09, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »
Nancy that is very interesting and informative that post production can change some things that were filmed. Let's hope for the best.
Speaking of Beetlejuice here is its theatrical trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hovKm9oFiM

MB I also find conducting searches on Twitter to be a very frustrating. Its search engine results are so inconsistent it really is pathetic. On one search I found about 100 DS tweets for an hours time frame and then most of them disappeared when I refreshed the page only to show 5 for that same one hour period. In fact one of my tweets made the DS results list only to be completely removed to date.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 09, 2011, 05:12:02 PM »
I just saw that Alice Cooper is on The Tonight Show tonight. He probably won't talk about the Depp/DS film. In fact, he may not talk about anything because it says he "performs," not that he's interviewed. But if Jay Leno does talk with him, the film might come up. After all, Cooper did talk about it briefly on an English talk show he did back in August.

244 days 11 hours 47 minutes 58 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: September 09, 2011, 08:31:09 PM »
Hmmm -

kr_shhh krysia whitty
Is unemployed!!! Farewell #DarkShadows
2 hours ago

- interesting considering the film has at least two more weeks to shoot. But I suppose they probably don't need to buy more props at this point.

Also, I'm excerpting this from the latest KLS interview added to the Dark Passages topic on the "Calendar Events / Announcements '11 II" board -

EJ:  If your book(s) were being made into a movie, who would you cast for the leading roles? Why?

Kathryn:  Carey Mulligan is the first to come to mind to play Meg Harrison. Young Bella Heathcote, who plays Josette DuPres in the new Warner Bros film of Dark Shadows, would also be a good choice.

because I find it interesting that KLS should refer to Bella Heathcote as playing Josette rather than Victoria.  But then, maybe that's not such a surprise after all.  [ghost_wink]

244 days 8 hours 28 minutes 51 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: September 10, 2011, 01:21:26 AM »
so now it seems as though it's "official" that josette will be part of the film and played by bella heathcote? for a long time she was just barnabas' "lost love". considering all of the secrecy surrounding the project i wonder why this was announced at this late date when most of the other major casting was made public months ago?

and you just KNEW that KLS is going to move heaven and earth to more closely associate herself with this film...mentioning the part that SHE played(josette) and completely leaving out the part she didn't play(victoria) on the original series even though it looks as though the piece will largely be set in 1972 and vicki heathcote's major role.

i'm sure it quietly burns la scott that maggie is not in the film.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 10, 2011, 05:54:53 AM »
Not having seen the film yet, I'm guessing the photo is from Sweeney Todd?

pudimdaluna Luna Lovegood
Photo: › I demand this in Dark Shadows. http://tumblr.com/xgv4lo06rk
3 hours ago

If so, I'm guessing she wants Barnabas and Julia to marry? Well, while I wouldn't count on that, it would certainly be an interesting development...

243 days 23 hours 5 minutes 7 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 10, 2011, 06:11:27 AM »
I just checked my DVR and Alice Cooper only performed. Oh well. But it's not like we weren't told that was what he would do...

243 days 22 hours 48 minutes 33 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 10, 2011, 08:26:40 AM »
and you just KNEW that KLS is going to move heaven and earth to more closely associate herself with this film...mentioning the part that SHE played(josette) and completely leaving out the part she didn't play(victoria) on the original series even though it looks as though the piece will largely be set in 1972 and vicki heathcote's major role.

I would consider (the idea of) Josette and (the character of) Victoria to be equally important in the original Dark Shadows universe, standing with the likes of Barnabas Collins himself.  In my opinion, since 1991, Victoria has ceased to be a character who can hold her own when pitted against the idea of the character of Josette.  Her purpose has been to be, in Barnabas's eyes, Josette.  She doesn't really have any story of her own.  She is simply part of the story of Barnabas Collins.  In the original series, especially in the early episodes, Victoria could hold her own.  She needed no one to make her important.  She was the main character.  Since that point, however, she has become secondary to Barnabas Collins, and now, sadly, I feel the only reason she is included is as an homage to tradition, not because she, as a standalone character, is essential to the plot.  But, who knows?  Maybe the new version of Dark Shadows will change that and catapult Victoria back to her original position as the leading character.  But, if the evolution of the story has any bearing on the new film, we could have probably called her Maggie, Roxanne, or even Rachel and her purpose would still be to carry on the legacy of Josette, making her secondary to Barnabas Collins, as her role is now to help fill out the Barnabas character.  

I do not personally take issue with that.  It's a clean way of tying together all of the angles from the first part of the series.  And it worked beautifully in 1991.  But, it seems that without Josette, and Barnabas, the character of Victoria is really inconsequential anymore.  We will have to wait and see if this has changed with the new movie, but it wouldn't seem as if it has considering KLS's latest remarks.  

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 10, 2011, 12:45:03 PM »
interesting point...

but really the same could be said of ALL of the other characters on the original series after barnabas became the focal point. they all functioned as his supporting cast and none of them...even very prominent charcaters like julia and angelique...had storylines of their own. whatever they were doing barnabas factored into in a major way. arguable the only other character that came onto the series after barnabas took over that could function as a standalone character with their own storyline was quentin and he's not in the film.

my point was that KLS simply neglected to mention...and in effect is negating...the character that she herself did not play. since most of the publicity surrounding the project refers to heathcote as having been cast as victoria winters is a rather deliberate and glaring omission.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 10, 2011, 01:28:25 PM »
since most of the publicity surrounding the project refers to heathcote as having been cast as victoria winters is a rather deliberate and glaring omission.

Exactly.

243 days 15 hours 31 minutes 35 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 10, 2011, 01:48:53 PM »
Gruffnstuff Gareth Thomas
Oooh Tim Burton and Johnny Depp in Richmond Park atm!
22 hours ago

Burtonie Burtonie
@Gruffnstuff Сould you please tell any details about Burton & Depp in Richmond Park yesterday? Thanks in advance.
1 hour ago

Gruffstuff
@Burtonie Afraid that's all I know. Filming Dark Shadows.
1 hour ago

243 days 15 hours 11 minutes 7 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: September 10, 2011, 11:41:17 PM »
my point was that KLS simply neglected to mention...and in effect is negating...the character that she herself did not play. since most of the publicity surrounding the project refers to heathcote as having been cast as victoria winters is a rather deliberate and glaring omission.

Oh, I get that.  I just don't see it as being relevant to the question she was asked.  Clearly Heathcote is playing a character KLS played, and since KLS's main character is based on herself, it would make sense to say that someone playing a character you once played could play you.  Confusing, much?   [ghost_cheesy] 

And there wouldn't be a need to bring up Victoria, as Victoria has nothing to do with KLS's book, so I don't see the omission as being all that grave.  Vicki and Maggie merged identities.  It no longer matters what you call one or the other.  They are the same character anymore, existing to fill the role of Josette.  I don't think KLS is purposefully trying to banish the fact that Victoria Winters was the first governess at Collinwood or pretend that she ever played Victoria.  It just would be unnecessary information to share with the interviewer.  She's just trying to sell as many copies of her book as she can.  And you can't fault her for that. 

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 11, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »
Personally, I don't think KLS's off-hand statement (which as has been said, is geared to put her in a good light) is a reliable or official confirmation that Bella Heathcote plays a character called Josette in this film.  Since we do know that the majority of the film takes place in the 1970's, clearly her main credited role is Victoria.
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 12, 2011, 12:00:04 AM »
TobelliotBW Elliot Hobbs' Nwaobi
@ChloeGMoretz Hey when are they bringing out a Dark Shadows trailer?
3 hours ago

If only she knew and could answer at this point - but I doubt she does or that she could answer even if she did...

TheSwishnFlick The Weasley Jumper
If some footage or stills isn't released for Dark Shadows by Xmas I will actually go insane!
2 hours ago

It's nice to know we're not the only ones.  [ghost_grin]

242 days 4 hours 59 minutes 56 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 12, 2011, 12:04:54 AM »
Personally, I don't think KLS's off-hand statement (which as has been said, is geared to put her in a good light) is a reliable or official confirmation that Bella Heathcote plays a character called Josette in this film.  

Lara Parker has said she plays Josette too. But, clearly Vicki Winters is the main character she plays.  

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 12, 2011, 04:27:17 PM »
SouthDevonAONB Nicky Bailey
Rumour has it that Jonny Depp is in the #AONB, flming for Tim Burton's new film Dark Shadows, down near to Start Point - the temptation to go and have a look is almost overwhelming here at the office!
5 hours ago

Start Point, Devon

And as a side note, I see that Twitter has removed the search option from their home page. Apparently they now want people to join before they'll allow them to search because joining or logging in are the only options currently offered on the home page. But I have all the major Twitter accounts related to the Depp/DS film bookmarked in my browser, so I can still access all of them without being a member - plus the option to search all of Twitter is still available once you're already checking out the tweets in an existing account. So, they haven't stopped me.  [ghost_wink]

241 days 12 hours 32 minutes 43 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!