Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719873 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
PennyDreadful, I love your image, even if I don't totally agree with the sentiment!  [snow_smiley]

And quite often things are best handled with humor, so if in any way it helps fans who might be disappointed over some of the direction the new film is taking, then I honestly hope it serves its purpose, even though like madscntst I don't quite agree with the sentiment.  [snow_smiley]

42 days 12 hours 47 minutes 41 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Did I miss something here? What is this age limit thing?

Sorry Janet, I was talking about the age constraints for the advance screenings of DS.  Apparently they wanted viewers to be under age 49 (probably to hit the target demographic).  Joe and others were turned away because they were too old.  We should be fine for the movie itself  [snow_cheesy]   Anyway, for me, the point was moot anyway because I live on the East Coast, but I was just remarking that even if I had a chance to go, I'd have to try to fudge my age  [snow_blush]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
But isn't that a type of discrimination? I never heard of anybody being too old to see a movie. I guess I'm out of the loop.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It's common practice for test screenings. They want to measure reaction from certain demographics and most often that means 12-17 (though in this case it was 14-17 because the film will supposedly be rated PG-13) and the all-important 18-49. As I've said before, anyone 50 and over might as well be dead as far as the entertainment industry and advertisers are concerned.  [snow_undecided]

42 days 11 hours 55 minutes 7 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
I was composing my reply when MB posted, so mine might be a little redundant.  Advance screenings are meant to get feedback on the film.  Since they're free passes, I guess they can choose the audience that they want to see it, because it's their feedback that they want, as opposed to die-hard fans of DS, many of whom are old enough to have watched the OS and are therefore pushing 50 or more.  Unfortunately, folks over 50 are not valued as a demographic.  Even though we have more money to spend on leisure activities, I guess they want the younger folks to fill the seats, especially if the film is rated PG-13 as is expected.  The same is true of TV shows- not only do shows depend on ratings, but they depend on the ratings from the  17-49 or so age group for success.  Personally, I think my opinions are wonderful and thoughtful, even if I'm over 50, so it's their loss if they don't want our age group  [snow_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
so it's their loss if they don't want our age group  [snow_grin]

Exactly. Obviously they're forgetting the fact that wisdom comes with age.  [snow_wink]  But then again, they don't want people with wisdom - they want people they believe they can manipulate to see a film or buy a product - and they don't believe that's the 50 and older crowd because we're supposedly so set in our ways. And while that can be the case, I also know some 30-somethings who are more set in their ways than I'll ever be, so it's certainly not true across the board, and it's certainly not untrue of everyone younger than 50.  [snow_wink]

42 days 11 hours 29 minutes 25 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
They wouldn't have let you in, anyway, because, well - because are you Janet the Wicked. [snow_smileydevil]

But isn't that a type of discrimination? I never heard of anybody being too old to see a movie. I guess I'm out of the loop.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Alice Cooper does look kinda strange in this. I'm wondering if it's because of the them using cgi to make him look young. It's like he looks old without wrinkles. That may also be why JD looks creepy because it isn't the make-up.
May you die before you want too.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Supposedly Depp is also wearing some sort of prosthetic on his nose and on his chin. When I first saw the photo of Barnabas and Liz (the one that apparently depicts a moment from the night of his arrival at Collinwood  - and one that combined with what we've seen in the 60 second TV spot really has me dying to see that scene) I definitely noticed that Depp looked different, but I wasn't quite sure why. But then when I checked out some of the Depp forums I discovered that apparently many fans on them are so familiar with his face that they instantly knew what was different.

42 days 8 hours 14 minutes 52 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Penny I am working on a fanzine and would love to include some of your heart work if you would be interested PM me.

Of course I know KLS is going to be politicial correct because this is her bread and butter; however, as Nancy said I think Frid is at the age (although he was always out spoken) where he could care less to say what is on his mind.  Maybe I am wrong but I felt a generousness about KLS when she commented on the movie. I know she is a shrewd business woman but still I was happy to hear her comments!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Sorry for the double post.  I just wanted to ask a question.  Is it me or does the new Barnabas portrait look like Jonathan. I think it looks more like JF than JD.  I think it's perhaps another nod to our beloved vampire. Am I the only noticing this??
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Penny I am working on a fanzine and would love to include some of your heart work if you would be interested PM me.

Hi Taeylor, that art isn't mine. :)  It was done by Matt Tyree and Val Staples as a wallpaper for the Roast Gooble Dinner He-Man/She-Ra podcast.  'm a co-host on there and had no idea they were gonna do that art!  You could always drop them a line and see.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Thanks Penny! Could you PM and let me know how to get in contact with them! 

I am so excited about DS.  It seems more and more fun stuff is coming to light everyday!  I adore the new posters! :)  This seems to be a real ensemble piece. We of course knew Johnny would be the marquee draw but with each different poster I see this as a ensemble and a movie that is really hard to nail down to one genre!  Can't wait to see it.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Comingsoon.net has a great new banner of Barnabas with all his lady friends (except for his one true love, hmmm):

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=88603