Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717452 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
A reminder:  Since some readers are avoiding the Forum's spoiler thread altogether, further discussion of spoilers that were spelled out in that "Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Spoilers" topic should be posted there.  The spoiler topic is stickied to the same board as this topic-- currently the Current Talk '12 I board.  Thanks!

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Make what you want of it, but someone on imdb claims to have seen the trailer after taking a movie survey:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/board/nest/194768736?p=1

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Oh brother.  I just read the original post, and then the dozens of additional questions/comments.  I'm leaning toward believing this person.  How disappointing.  If he/she is telling the truth, we (fans of the original) are all in for a huge insult.

How can these guys go on-and-on about being childhood fans of the original, and then make a film like this?  None of it makes sense.  I can understand adding a little humor to the storyline, but that is the most-used description we have heard from all of the stars -- funny, funny, funny.  Have any of them used descriptors like "scarey?" "suspensful?" "romantic?" "terrifying?"

I have tried to be positive throughout this entire process, but if I hear the word "funny" one more time, I think I am going to scream.  I need a pep-talk.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
That's pretty much what I expect. A comedy that fans of the original will not really like but will defend because it will get people to watch the OS. I will go see the movie but I expect to not like it at all. Truth is I haven't liked anything Tim Burton or Johnny Depp have done in years, why should this be any different?
May you die before you want too.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks Sara Monster for the find. I'm with you neiljohnson and borgosi with your concerns. I think TPTB have their priorities way off. The movie should be scary, suspensful, romantic and terrifying with a bit of dark comedy mixed in. Not the other way around. I think this may be one of the reasons as to why we haven't seen the trailer-it is perhaps testing poorly by the focus groups.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
whatever the movie turns out to be i certainly won't find myself to be "insulted".

none of this is personal.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
and i think we can put more currency in what grahame-smith had to say than what someone who saw a 30 second trailer's account of it is.

what he had to say sounds more like what alot of people are hoping for.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
over on kathy cody's FB page someone just posted a GREAT picture of depp and green that we haven't seen before. it's from a blog on tumblr.

very confrontational looking.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Thanks for that info, michael c!

I made a direct link for the pic:
http://www.collinsport.sarawebsite.com/files/newpic.png

edit: Is it just me or does that look like one of Barn's old robes??
http://www.collinsport.sarawebsite.com/pics2/196.jpg

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
indeed it looks like depp is sporting barn's signature "smoking" jacket for elegant at home wear.

green looks like she's wearing a blazer. then again she is a powerful "lady executive" in this variation on the tale. [snow_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I know it's very literal of me but I am an old fan and I keep thinking, "Why does Angelique have Carolyn's hair?" lol.

Of course, Chloe Moretz is too young in this redaction to have Carolyn's hair.

I am thinking of doing a separate thread here on Humor in Dark Shadows.  I am fascinated by how a lot of fans on the Net react to it.  I laugh all the time when I watch the show.  Does that make me "not a real fan"?

G.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
Thanks for the pic, Sara Monster!  My anticipation grows ...
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
First things first - the trailer. Many films don't have one trailer, they have two or more depending on what aspects of the film they want to market to which potential audience. One perfect example of this from last year was the theater and TV trailers for I Am Number Four. If one went to an action movie or one watched a TV show like Hawaii Five-0 or CSI: Miami, the trailer seen was more often the one that emphasized the action in the film. But if one went to see a drama or especially a romantic film or one watched a TV show like The Vampire Diaries, the trailer shown was more often the one that emphasized the romantic angle in the film. So, if the DS trailer described on IMDb does really exist (and it would seem to) and if the original poster's impression of it turns out to be true, the trailer he/she saw will emphasize the comedic aspects of the film. No problem because that by no means means that's all there is to the film - and that doesn't necessarily mean it's the only trailer that will be created/shown to promote the film. That trailer could simply be the way Warner Brothers wants to market the film to one segment of the film's potential audience.

Now I'll go check out the new photo because I'm dying of suspense...

88 days 11 hours 2 minutes 29 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
PS.  Many many heartfelt thanks to Sara Monster for sharing the photo with us!!!  You're a gem!

Bestly,

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
from the few pix we've seen i'd say the hairdos are the one false note in terms of the film's costuming.

none of them say "1972" to me. in fact green's hair looks very much "2012".

except HBC's helmet head they could all really pass for contemporary hairstyles.

p.s. the picture is now up at collinwood.net as well.