Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720191 times)

RachelDrummand

I give up expecting any of this to be good but I also am not going to waste my time at the movies if they are going to give us such a piece of junk. This isn't an homage to Dark Shadows. It's a farce and the fact that any of the original stars backed this up? It just fuels my original argument that they did it for a nice paycheck. For shame!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Now that I think of it, this trailer reminds me a lot of the trailer I saw for this film while watching the excellent Woman in Black:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1596350/

And look what kind of review it's getting...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
And here we go. The story is already taking off. http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00048044.html
Hope WB is aware that by not releasing the trailer it is creating negative buzz in the media. But then again I may not even want to watch it at this point.

RachelDrummand

Sadly, I'm with you, Jimbo.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Hope WB is aware that by not releasing the trailer it is creating negative buzz in the media. But then again I may not even want to watch it at this point.

The trailer or the movie... or both?   [snow_wink]

Because I really, really feel a big disappointment coming our way if this turns out to be true.  None of it is in the vein of the original series.  And it seems odd to me that they would be so faithful to the costumes and set design and then deliver a script that is a travesty. 

And the fact that KLS and LP are so gung-ho about it IS suspicious to me, VictoriaWinters1991.  Selby and Frid have not really commented, and I would trust their analysis more.  So their lack of comment may be telling...

I just hope that this is all wrong.  Some of the jokes are cute - like the Satan-TV thing, but the whole thing just seems to do a disservice to our original series.  I want to see the trailer to be proven wrong. 

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I was referring first to the trailer. I'm afraid of what it looks like. I still want to believe that TPTB know what they are doing but the purported evidence is pointing into a possible fiasco. Regarding the o/s actors, I don't think they saw much of the movie's filming. All they know what they filmed. Even HBC fooled them with her remarks on how much she loved the original show then subsequently trashed the same o/s series.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I take comfort in knowing that I am not the only one feeling the need to be consoled after thinking about this.

BUT, KLS said she read the script... so I assumed the others had seen it as well.

RachelDrummand

James, you may be right about that. I forgot they were only on the set for a day so who knows what they got to see. Although KLS claims to have read the script and loved it but again...that's suspicious to me. AND for what it's worth, I really think Ben Cross was approached to do a cameo or something in DS. He didn't mention what film but went on to say that he turned down a script because he couldn't imagine his "fans" seeing him in something that wasn't good.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That's an interesting tidbit about Cross, VictoriaWinters1991.  When did he say this?

RachelDrummand

I found this info on his facebook page. I'd have to go down aways but yeah, it's definitely there. Like I said, he did NOT specifically say it was Dark Shadows. That's my speculation though and it is very possible that is the film he meant.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i don't think it's really fair to "shame" four elderly actors for accepting a part in a movie. not unless you want to pay their bills.

and this conversation is starting to get hysterical.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
i don't think it's really fair to "shame" four elderly actors for accepting a part in a movie. not unless you want to pay their bills.

and this conversation is starting to get hysterical.

Agree! But do you mean hysterical or hilarious? It's been near-hysterical, in the classic sense, for a while now.

I knew it would be a comedy; I just wish, reading that trailer description, it sounded like a funnier one. At the moment it sounds like the kind of thing the group of drag artists would perform at a DS convention.

And Ben Cross was in the terrible fourth Exorcist film...
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
CB and VW1991 I forgot that KLS had actually read the script. Interesting enough soon after the new trailer review had been posted as I posted here, KLS had this to say about it:
Kathryn Leigh Scott@Dark_PassagesReply 10 hours ago
@filmDARKSHADOWS @ComicUniverse I'm fascinated by the description of the trailer. Jonathan, Lara, David and I all have cameos in film!

So does this mean that KLS after having read the script is saying that she agrees that the trailer is an actual depiction of the script she read? She didn't challenge the trailer's description by that reviewer. Did she mean that she is fascinated because how off the review is? This doesn't look promising.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Does anyone have the source where she claims to have read the whole script? That's rather unusual that a supporting player or dayplayer would be given access to the whole thing. I wonder if Jim Pierson passed one to her. I wonder if she read the shooting script or the discarded draft by John August.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Wow, there is a whole lot of "reading into" largely based on rumor, conjecture, speculation, and few facts.   [snow_silly]

It's hard not to wonder and try to get a handle on what's going on with the movie and the trailer but let's at least realize when we are doing it and, even after the discussion, we still don't really have any idea what the trailer or the movie is going to be like until we see the damn thing.

I certainly do not see the value of stating the actors who did the cameos did so for nefarious reasons, looking to sell DS fans out.  That is a far-reaching, wholly unsubstantiated opinion.