Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716530 times)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: (**TWO NEW PHOTOS!! Reply #1264**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1560 on: November 04, 2011, 03:05:20 PM »
No poster yet but I'm not too surprised.  It still seems early, though May is creeping up on us!  Just a hunch, but I am kind of thinking that we'll either get a teaser or a poster before the holidays.  I would love to see a teaser trailer with Hugo (which is produced by Johnny's Infinitum Nihil, as is DS), but it may be too soon, and DS may not be "child-friendly" enough to show with Hugo.  But I hope we'll have something by the holidays.

I was just browsing in the Johnny Depp Zone and there was a quote from Johnny and the Rum Diary director Bruce Robinson about their feelings about the Rum Diary box office.  I didn't copy it and the Zone didn't give the source (though it may have come from last night's UK premiere), but basically they said what we've been saying- that The Rum Diary was never meant to be a blockbuster.  Johnny called the perception that he is always expected to be in blockbusters "baggage" and I agree with him in a sense.  (That said, as we've been saying, I don't think Tim and Johnny will be thinking of DS in the same "small film" sense that The Rum Diary is, and I'm sure they'll be hoping for at least some box office success with DS).

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: (**TWO NEW PHOTOS!! Reply #1264**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1561 on: November 04, 2011, 04:24:15 PM »
I'm thinking that we may see a trailer around Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are usually good for the box office and that would be the time to promote DS.  I've gone to the movies and saw trailers for movies that were eight months or more away from opening.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: November 04, 2011, 04:36:24 PM »
I'm not too surprised by the lack of a poster or trailer yet, either. Though it would definitely be nice to see something surface during the holidays.  [hall2_smiley]

188 days 12 hours 23 minutes 36 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: November 04, 2011, 04:44:35 PM »
basically they said what we've been saying- that The Rum Diary was never meant to be a blockbuster.  Johnny called the perception that he is always expected to be in blockbusters "baggage" and I agree with him in a sense.

What gets me is all these writers and Web sites that are characterizing the film as a flop because it only made $5 million last weekend - but that completely ignores the fact that, as I'd mentioned previously, industry predictions were that it would make about $7 million, so it wasn't that far off the estimates. These people comparing it to The Tourist and saying that it made $16.7 million its opening weekend and that shows what a flop The Rum Diary is are really being way off base because TRD was never expected to pull in that sort of box office. But then, it's probably so much more fun for them to ignore the real estimates and proclaim TRD a flop than it is for them to actually deal with facts.  [hall2_rolleyes]  Though this is hardly the first situation where these writers and sites have chosen to ignore the facts - and it surely won't be the last...

188 days 12 hours 15 minutes 25 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: November 05, 2011, 05:29:55 PM »
People have perceptions of what type of film they are willing to take the risk, along with the high-cost, of going to see. Myself included. I like Russell Crowe but haven't gone to see any of his latest movies because frankly, the topics are of no interest to me.
My son-in-law didn't want to see Julia and Julie because he perceived it as a 'chick flick'.  I've seen it twice.  The same son-in-law has already said he won't see the Dark Shadows movie because he's not into horror. [hall2_sad]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: November 06, 2011, 11:25:55 PM »
According to mojo's website tonight, "In its second weekend, The Rum Diary fell 42 percent to $2.99 million for a weak $10.4 million total. It is now a lock to become star Johnny Depp's lowest-grossing release in over 2,000 theaters since 1999's The Astronaut's Wife." That said there are many variables one needs to consider why TRD was such a domestic undertaking.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: November 07, 2011, 09:06:13 PM »
I've been really remiss at checking Twitter for the past week, so it will probably take me a while to catch up to see if there's been anything interesting. But I did just come across this:

Josh_TurnerGolf Joshua Turner
Got my #darkshadows film crew hoody! http://yfrog.com/oeuajurj
31 Oct

Presumably that's a shot of the back. And who knew the crew had hoodies? But can you just imagine what one of them might go for if someone decided to sell it on eBay?!

185 days 7 hours 53 minutes 47 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: November 08, 2011, 06:43:53 AM »
Oh I would love to have that jacket! There is a chance some may appear on Ebay. People do need some extra money and there are many crew jackets on Ebay. I would think most will wait untill the movie gets released.
DS at IMAX's website. http://www.imax.com/movies/m/dark-shadows-an-imax-3d-experience/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: November 08, 2011, 11:40:45 PM »
I see that the nominations for The People's Choice Awards have come out. Not surprisingly, Depp is nominated for Favorite Movie Actor, Favorite Animated Movie Voice, and Favorite Ensemble Movie Cast. But what is a bit surprising and certainly interesting is that Chloe Moretz is nominated for Favorite Movie Star Under 25 - and she's the only one in the category who isn't from the Harry Potter films. Though given her high profile on Web sites like IMDb, I suppose it really shouldn't be that surprising that enough people voted for her to place in the category...

184 days 5 hours 19 minutes 15 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1569 on: November 09, 2011, 01:57:17 PM »
I hope it's okay to add this here.  I had pointed out that my cousin was glad that they aren't modernizing DS.  Are you glad that it's set in the 70's or do you wish that it would have been updated and set in our time??  I am personally glad that it is set in the 70's!  I think the fact that the show was a child of this era only lends to the weirdness.  I know I would be older than I am now.  However, I always said if I could choose I probably would have been a teen around the time DS was airing! 

Also someone was pointing out how long the date away is for DS.  I know about anyone else but 2011 has flown by for me.  The movie will be here before we know it....
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: November 09, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »
Sounds like pure gossip to me but fyi purposes http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/64895/Johnny-Depp-And-Christian-Bale-Go-To-War-Over-Conflicting-Movie-Releases

Taeylor Collins I prefer that the story takes place in the present day. That is just how I feel. Let's hope it works out great.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1571 on: November 09, 2011, 04:41:52 PM »
Hey Jimbo! I asked for opinions and that is yours! I totally respect it! :)  We will hope for the best......;)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: November 09, 2011, 05:33:27 PM »
Sounds like pure gossip to me

Seems like a completely fabricated feud.  [hall2_rolleyes]  If they really do hate each other, it's the first I'm hearing of it. But what would I know because I don't pay attention to the tabloids or watch those sorts of TV shows. So, unless it was mentioned in/by some reputable source, I suppose I wouldn't know. But considering there's little doubt that Warner Brothers wants both films to do as well as they possibly can, it's only logical that they're going to put a lot of money behind promoting both.

183 days 11 hours 26 minutes 33 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1573 on: November 09, 2011, 06:50:56 PM »
I think Entertainmentwise is among the group of tabloid sources that Contact Music, New Kerala and others belong to.  Once one of them reports some gossip, the same gossip usually makes the rounds of all of them, and then sometimes a few months later they recycle them again just for good measure.  None of these are worth worrying about  [hall2_grin]  In this case, I think they have confused Christian and Johnny with their Public Enemies characters, Melvin Purvis and John Dillinger  [hall2_tongue]  Totally silly, especially with all the parallel reports in the news right now about how little Johnny cares that The Rum Diary isn't doing great at the box office.  From what I could see, Christian and Johnny had only positive things to say about each other during Public Enemies; Johnny almost never says anything bad about anyone anyway.  I do seem to recall some of the other actors or crew members remarking that since Christian is more of a method actor that he would sometimes be "in character" and didn't really interact that much with the rest of the cast, whereas Johnny would chat and joke more between takes, but even that isn't really a diss of Christian so much as it's just an observation that they have different approaches.

To be honest, I would expect The Dark Knight Rises to make at least 2-3 times more than Dark Shadows.  It is in an established franchise that has done amazingly well and shows no sign of slowing down at the box office. It's really not fair to make a direct comparison between the two, anyway.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: November 09, 2011, 08:25:37 PM »
Well, if anything, we should be flattered that they chose to pit Shadows against TDKR.  That is probably one of the best things you could do when making up a story about Shadows.  There's no better movie to compete against.  [hall2_grin]