Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717140 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
They can do amazing things with CGI, lights and makeup. I was as professional makeup artist for years; and professional female impersonator for five years. Highlight and contour can do wonders.

And if you read Grayson's biography, they said she looked  really rough in the mornings; however, when she had her face painted she looked like she had a face lift. ;)  Makeup can do wonders. And who knows. They may even CGI him younger like they did with Alice Cooper?

So did you guys see ET tonight?  This weekend is a Dark Shadowspalooza!  It showed Eva with Mark Stines and apparently the whole thing is going to be DS! I am so happy I have ET marked everyday. 

DS is everywhere!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
On May 10th the channel G4 with have DS on "Attack Of The Show", it's an hour long show but I have no idea how much of it will be about DS.
May you die before you want too.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
No, that's Depp.  [ghost_smiley]

Wow...

Yeah, he can pass for frighteningly young, darn him!  [ghost_wink]  And as said, I think makeup and even CGI helps.  I think the techniques can be pretty good these days.  Somehow, I think the lack of pointy bangs also young-ens him a bit, too, though I'm not sure why.  Still, we Depp fans recognize him just fine, and I don't think that even there that he looks *quite* as young as McDonell would have, but maybe they just decided the continuity would be better with Johnny.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, the Modern Family "special look" wasn't quite what I was anticipating it might be - but it wasn't a bust either. They did announce that the film was sponsoring the show and they ran two spots. The second one was the 7th 30 second spot (the one that I posted captures of on page #264 starting with reply #3946), but the first was the US version of the Taiwanese trailer (the one that I posted captures of on page #251 starting with reply #3761) and it was nice not to have the Chinese characters all over the frame and to have the voiceover in English. I'm presuming that as far as scenes go, it was exactly the same as the Taiwanese version. But who knows? And I've been fooled into thinking that before. So, I suppose I won't really know until I actually have a chance to compare them.

Now it's going to be interesting to see what the "special preview" turns out to be during The Vampire Diaries...

8 days 2 hours 15 minutes 55 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And as said, I think makeup and even CGI helps.  I think the techniques can be pretty good these days.  Somehow, I think the lack of pointy bangs also young-ens him a bit, too, though I'm not sure why.  Still, we Depp fans recognize him just fine, and I don't think that even there that he looks *quite* as young as McDonell would have, but maybe they just decided the continuity would be better with Johnny.

I read in one of the recent magazine articles (I don't remember which because I've read so many different ones lately and I still don't have any of them back) that it wasn't just with Alice Cooper that CGI was used, so perhaps they did use it with Depp in that scene. However, I could swear that back in September we either got an online article or a tweet that mentioned that Thomas McDonell was shooting, so it would seem that he did work on the film. Though even if he did, he would hardly be the first actor to have his entire part cut out, if indeed that is what happened...

8 days 2 hours 4 minutes 27 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
vicki has PARENTS??

WOW. that's really a different spin on the character. i thought the whole "orphan thing" was elemental.

and laura,too??

that's alot crammed in. [ghost_wub]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

RachelDrummand

Did anyone else puke when David said:

[spoiler]'Carolyn touches herself...she makes noises like a kitten.'[/spoiler]

I mean seriously? Really? What were they thinking? Is that supposed to be funny? It wasn't. It was just plain inappropriate, especially coming out of the mouth of a ten year old boy. If this is what remotely passes for humor, they have failed...not to mention how they've already failed.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
VictoriaWinters1991, I was appalled when I heard about that line. 

BUT, there is one scene in this film (far worse than that line), which if it exists in the final cut, will make me not see the movie.  So I am waiting for confirmation on the contents of the final cut before buying a ticket. 

RachelDrummand

What scene is that, Cousin_Barnabas?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm really quite tempted to check out the spoiler being discussed here because it seems like it must be a doozie.  [ghost_wink]  Though that being said, I find it very hard to believe that anything in the film will cause me to be appalled or to vomit. I'm not the appalled or prone to vomit type.  [ghost_nowink]  But I definitely look forward to revisiting these comments after I've seen the film for myself...

7 days 23 hours 30 minutes 41 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
If I was the appalled type, something I might be appalled by is Jimmy Kimmel taking a more than 8 minute commercial break between the first and second guest. Yesterday when I was telling someone about Jonny Lee Miller's appearance, I said that I was probably exaggerating that it took 8 minutes before the show came back for his segment. But tonight I timed the break and it was worse than I thought. Imagine how much longer and how much more interesting the segments with the show's second guests could be if they actually didn't take that long of a break. But apparently the possibilities will all have to remain in our imaginations. That being said, though, I did enjoy Eva Green's segment, mostly because I learned things about her that I didn't know. And the clip was interesting because I had no idea how Angelique managed to get Barnabas chained back in a coffin.

7 days 22 hours 36 minutes 48 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
So did you guys see ET tonight?  This weekend is a Dark Shadowspalooza!  It showed Eva with Mark Stines and apparently the whole thing is going to be DS!

I'm so happy you posted this before I checked out tonight's show because my DVR's description for tonight's show is just two words: "Dark Shadows" - and that would certainly make most people think they were going to do a segment on DS, not simply promote an upcoming show featuring it.  [ghost_huh]  Though obviously I wouldn't have remained disappointed for too long after I'd learned that they're going to be doing a DS special this weekend. And it's funny that only the other day I was musing about how they haven't been doing many shows like that anymore. But how lucky for us that they decided to revive them with DS.  [ghost_wink]

7 days 22 hours 25 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm really quite tempted to check out the spoiler being discussed here because it seems like it must be a doozie.  [ghost_wink]  Though that being said, I find it very hard to believe that anything in the film will cause me to be appalled or to vomit. I'm not the appalled or prone to vomit type.  [ghost_nowink]  But I definitely look forward to revisiting these comments after I've seen the film for myself...

It's not much of a spoiler, MB.  It's just really weird to me that they would be allowed to have a line like that in a PG-13 movie, spoken by a kid about another kid.  When I first read about it, the bit of dialogue itself really crossed the line of what I thought was actually allowed.  But the execution is far more ambiguous.  So, I guess that is what saved it.  Still... it kind of weirds me out. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, thanks for telling me it probably isn't much of a spoiler, but I think I'll still refrain from reading it until after I see the film for myself.  [ghost_wink]  We're already learning far too much before the film opens, so any bits that I can intentionally avoid, I will.  [ghost_smiley]  Though given some previous posts, I have my suspicions of what type of thing it might be. And depending on what it actually is, I may not be shocked by it at all. Though in fact perhaps it's actually intended to be shocking within the context of the scene it appears in (after all, isn't trying to shock and even embarrass two of the things David often does best? Just ask pre-Barn Carolyn on the original show  [ghost_wink]) - and if so, then perhaps it isn't actually even meant to be funny. But I suppose I'll figure all that out after I've seen the film and I've come back to revisit these posts...

7 days 22 hours 5 minutes 17 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Interesting, but I don't find David's line appalling or sickening, or the least bit inappropriate for a 10 year old boy.