Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716898 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I hope that the music isn't "wild".  But, rather, done in a similar vein to Cobert's music - bombastic, eerie, and recognizable.  Of course, this may be "wild" to modern audiences, so you never know.

Following in Cobert's footsteps may indeed be considered as "wild" to modern audiences because just look how often Cobert's music for the original show is described as "overwrought," "overbearing," and "overly melodramatic" by people writing articles today about the original DS.  [hall2_rolleyes]  I certainly wouldn't want to lose even one overwrought, overbearing, and overly melodramatic note of it when it comes to the original DS because I love it all. But it's definitely going to interesting to see if Elfman dials it down, at least a bit, for the film.

218 days 13 hours 1 minute 18 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Some Depp forums are reporting that entertainment writer Mark Salisbury (Empire Magazine, Total Film, Premiere Magazine, etc.) may be doing a book on the making of the Depp/DS film. That would be great news IF true. And apparently he has done books on the making of Sleepy Hollow, Alice in Wonderland, POTC: On Stranger Tides and Sweeney Todd. But judge for yourself as here's a link to the page in question on Salisbury's blog: reel world matters

218 days 4 hours 51 minutes 11 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Eva Green's dream role with Tim Burton in Dark Shadows

(Apparently the person who wrote this hasn't read the character bios on Entertainment Weekly's Web site or he wouldn't be going with the Willie is a shady house guest who raids the mausoleum to search for the family jewels angle - or that Julia comes to Collinwood to destroy Barnabas.  [hall2_rolleyes])

217 days 12 hours 15 minutes 35 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Hermes Press' latest Media Release claims they'll have the "latest news and announcements" and "some surprises" regarding the Depp/DS film at New York Comic Con on the 15th. I suppose we'll see. Their presentation at San Diego Comic Con wasn't all that bad...

217 days 11 hours 56 minutes 30 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Eva Green's dream role with Tim Burton in Dark Shadows

I was glad to see that Eva added "and dark" to the description of the script, not leaving it at "very funny".  "Very funny" and "very funny and dark" can mean two very different things!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
I agree with you, cousin.  I don't agree with those who think the Cobert score for the series was "overwrought" given the nature of soaps themselves.  It was no more overwrought or overbearing than the medium itself.  For heaven's sake, the whole series was over the top in terms of intensity and overwroughtness.  The nature of soaps.

I find it interesting that Burton wanted Elfman to keep the orchestra small.  This seems to give credence to the notion that Burton is really apt on re-creating the original Dark Shadows feel.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
We'', classic DS' music was pretty wild by daytime TV standards at the time so it makes sense.  I just hope it's close in tone to the classic score and they HAVE to use Cobert's main title theme.  I'll be crushed if they don't.  I also hope they use the "Collinwood" theme with an opening narration by Victoria Winters.  
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
And that "yearning" theme that I always associate with Barnabas.

From the little I remember of daytime soaps of that era, you were lucky if they played a chord or two on an electric organ, just before the commercial breaks.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I was just over at IMDb and I noticed that, quite interestingly, the actress playing Naomi is no longer listed as "uncredited" - she's been bumped up to the credited section.

And I also noticed this new addition in the uncredited section:

James Cooper   ...    Dock Worker (uncredited)

217 days 4 hours 43 minutes 51 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
This is just a guess. Based on "Planet Of The Apes" the re-make I expect the movie to start with the original theme music, then I expect music that would make us all think "Cobert" then end titles with a "remix" of the original theme.

I just want the story to scream "DARK SHADOWS".
May you die before you want too.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
It was no more overwrought or overbearing than the medium itself.  For heaven's sake, the whole series was over the top in terms of intensity and overwroughtness.  The nature of soaps.

To be honest, I had never heard anyone criticize Cobert's score.  If I had, I probably would have them boiled.

[8_1_231]

It seems odd to me that people would think Cobert's music was "wild".  It sounds very much like the music in Hammer films.  It's very much in keeping with the style of the genre at the time.

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
It seems odd to me that people would think Cobert's music was "wild".  It sounds very much like the music in Hammer films.  It's very much in keeping with the style of the genre at the time. 

Really? I think Cobert's later atonal and percussion stuff for Dark Shadows is wild as anything... All those mad bongo drums and wailing theramins are pretty unconventional even by today's standards.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
A couple more DS comments from Eva Green taken from the article tweeted about in this post:
Eva Green & Ewan McGregor in "Perfect Sense"

'Your next film is Tim Burton's Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp.
We've just finished filming it. Oh, it was wonderful. I mean not "blah blah blah bull****, but they were really the kindest group of people I've ever worked with.

What do you and Johnny have in common?
Johnny loves insects too. He also loves skulls - it's a good luck thing. Sometimes people see that as something a bit morbid but I've always liked skulls and insects. When I go to New York I always go to this amazing shop called The Evolution Store in SoHo, where they have weird stuff and beautiful insects. For Tim Burton's birthday I gave him a rainbow beetle. He loved it!'

216 days 11 hours 27 minutes 17 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Really? I think Cobert's later atonal and percussion stuff for Dark Shadows is wild as anything... All those mad bongo drums and wailing theramins are pretty unconventional even by today's standards.

Good point, Stuart.  I can see that being called "wild".  It is.  But, the music in House of Dark Shadows, the bombastic trumpets, the low oboes...  That is pretty much standard horror movie fare.  It's far tamer than the music of The Haunting or Horror of Dracula.  But, yes, once you get the "Head Music" in the Cobert catalog, then you are dealing with some pretty strange stuff.  But, when I think of Dark Shadows music, I mainly think of the cues and themes in use before 1970.  

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
it seems as though there's been almost a complete cessation of new information about the film since principle photography ended last week. no new tweets, photos, leaked plot points, etc.

in fact i'll bet that now that the film has gone into the studio for post-production we will see and hear virtually nothing for the next several months until the trailers are released and the promotional work starts.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.