Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720813 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
All this time, I'd been thinking that Victoria's clothing and overall look resembles that of Pamela Franklin's character from Hell House.  Maybe this is why.

As I've posted before, I LOVE The Legend of Hell House (it's one of the few films that can actually scare me - though I always insist on watching it alone in the wee hours of the morning with all the lights off  [ghost_wink]). But I'd never really put together Bella Heathcote's look in DS and Pamela Franklin's in TLOHH - though now that you've pointed it out, it's a very interesting observation.

I've always loved "Nights in White Satin" and thought it was put to powerful, haunting good use in the film.

I'm also a big fan of that song, so I'm beyond thrilled to learn that.

22 days 12 hours 43 minutes 44 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
On the surface it seems the DS trailer didn't have any impact on the results from Fandango's previous poll. Perhaps the majority of people were not impressed with it. I hope WB is satisfied with the buzz for this movie. It does seem like a mixed bag.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
When I see trailers at the movies, I would be hard pressed to tell you much about them afterwards unless I was really really interested in seeing a particular movie and anticipating the trailer.  I don't put any stock into the Fandango poll.  I think most people are kinda zoned out and don't pay all that much attention to trailers while getting settled, acquiring refreshments and checking out if they got the best seats available or not for the current showing. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I was just over on Amazon and noticed that the DS score CD is now down to $9.99. That's probably as low as it will go - but it's certainly a lot cheaper than the price it started at. Oddly, though, there still isn't a hint on Amazon that there will be a soundtrack CD...

And speaking of the score, I don't know how often others have listened to the sample MP3s, so what I'm about to say may be something that not everyone is even aware of, but since I've burned them onto a CD, I've listened to them numerous times, and one thing I really love is how what I like to call the Barnabas/Josette love theme (though I've since learned for a friend unafraid of spoilers that it's called "Is It Her?") is weaved throughout several of the other samples. I don't know how prominent the Barnabas/Josette-Victoria relationship will be in the film, but it would seem to be fairly prominent in the score itself.

22 days 4 hours 47 minutes 7 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
LOL, we are on the same wavelength, MB, because I also noticed the price drop for the DS Score (which I've already preordered), and I also have been looking for the Soundtrack to be listed.  (I've also looked on Barnes & Noble, though B&N is behind Amazon about 95% of the tiime).  Well, hopefully they'll be added soon- and hopefully with sound snippets, especially for the Depp track and the others we may not already know.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I am glad someone else considers that to be the Love Theme.  Because that is exactly what I thought of.  Like I said, this music is very reminiscent of Cobert's 1991 update - and I consider this Love Theme to be nearly as good as that one.  It is phenomenal.  Now I just hope SGS is right about the the original main theme being used.  I really, really want to hear the whole prologue! 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I was just updating my Netflix queue and for the hell of it, checked the status of DS.  I live in the Boston (Mass./New England) area and all 26 sets are showing up as available.  I think the pre-Barn episodes are as well; there was a picture of Vicki from the box cover of the first 1966 set in use as the icon for the series.

Netflix uses thematic keywords that may either be genre terms ("comedy") or descriptive of mood and atmosphere.  For the original series of DS, the keywords given are "dark, suspenseful."  I was quite surprised to see that there is already a page up for Depp Shadows even though the movie hasn't even been released.  I have the feeling this is common practice nowadays so I shouldn't be surprised.  I kid you not, for the 2012 feature films the keywords given are "dark, goofy." 

Time will tell how accurate that assessment is... at least it's "dark, goofy" rather than "goofy, dark."

Even though they are commenting on a movie they haven't seen, there are substantial comments from Netflix patrons giving their opinions about the 2012 movie.  I only read a few.  The back and forth is one with which we have all become familiar in recent months.

G.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
 [lol2]

That is great! 

I hope Dark Goofy is a decent film... because that is what I am calling it if I don't recognize it as DS.   [ghost_wink]

IluvBarnabas

I'm willing to give the new movie a chance. It might appear to be a comedy in trailers, but I have seen other movies in where the trailers were misleading. Even if it does turn out to be a comedy, it might be done in a black, darkish way that we might be able to appreciate it.

I had misgivings at first, but the more I look at Johnny in the role of Barnabas, I think he could pull it off.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Depp: "It's a horror film. It's a love story. It's a funny comedy. A lot of times you don't know whether to laugh."

Is the above quote a description of the DS film? Actually, no. It's taken from the Sleepy Hollow extras. Hmmm...

But getting back to the DS film, I was in Barnes & Noble on Monday and picked up four magazines with DS articles in them: W, Sci Fi, Famous Monsters of Filmland, and Total Film. The first article I've only just started to read is the one in Total Film, but already Richard Zanuck is attempting to describe the film, and this time around he's come up with: "This one is probably more off-center than anything he's (Burton) has ever done really, because its part based on a soap opera. You can't catagorize it with one word. It's a supernatural horror comedy action picture. It's a perfect blending of genres for Tim."

21 days 13 hours 3 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Depp: "It's a horror film. It's a love story. It's a funny comedy. A lot of times you don't know whether to laugh."

Is the above quote a description of the DS film? Actually, no. It's taken from the Sleepy Hollow extras. Hmmm...

Haha, that is a great description of Sleepy Hollow.  I would not have been able to place that quote.  It *is* very funny in parts, but it is also very dark.  There is one scene in particular that always shocked me, because even though it's mostly implied/off screen, it is something that I don't think ever happens most horror films, even really graphic ones.  I will use spoiler tags because some of you may not want to see: [spoiler]A little boy is killed, even though he tries to hide under the floorboards.[/spoiler]  I do keep trying to remind myself that Dark Shadows will be PG-13, so it's probably not going to be as dark as Sleepy Hollow.  But many of the more recent descriptions have the tone as being at least somewhat similar, and if so, I think I'll be happy.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Aw, darn it all.  After getting all excited yesterday that Johnny has a track on the soundtrack, a friend pointed out to me that Sony's Austrian site indicates that his track is only 18 seconds long  [ghost_sad]

http://www.sonymusic.at/Various/Dark-Shadows/P/2662530

Oh well.  Long enough to be a guitar riff, I suppose.  Or it might even just be a little spoken word snippet.  We'll see!

I just noticed this morning that the link I gave above no longer works, but rather redirects to the Sony Austria's home page.  Maybe it's just that they are editing it or adding information, but I sure hope they didn't decide not to release a soundtrack!  [ghost_shocked]  Or I wonder if it could possibly be delayed.  It's so strange that Amazon doesn't yet show it, but if it is coming out on May 8, it is awfully late to be putting it up for preorder.  We'll see...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I do keep trying to remind myself that Dark Shadows will be PG-13, so it's probably not going to be as dark as Sleepy Hollow.  But many of the more recent descriptions have the tone as being at least somewhat similar, and if so, I think I'll be happy.

I don't think that a PG-13 rating vs. R rating would mean that the level of "darkness" is any lower.  It can still be very dark without explicit gore.  I think the specific details, not the tone, were the cause of the R rating for Sleepy Hollow (e.g., beheadings).

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
From the Turner Classic Website:

The four of them...Frid, Selby, Parker, and Scott...apparently appear as partygoers during a scene where Barnabas holds a costume party. Rumor has it that Frid is dressed similarly to Depp in the scene...but anyway, there's at least one publicity still from the movie of Michelle Pfeiffer (who plays Elizabeth) at the party, and behind her and to her right can be seen Selby and Parker.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Janet, where is that found on the Turner Classic web site?  I couldn't find it...