Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720921 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The following article includes Gulliver McGrath:

Josh Lawson: And other Aussies abroad

Who knew McGrath had worked with Guy Pearce, who we were just talking about the other day. Small world.

And there's also:

Johnny Depp In Dark Shadows: Looking Good?

"Streisand-like nails."  [stfl] (Though I wonder if she would appreciate that reference? [b003]) But maybe Michelle Pfeiffer really was jealous.  [lghy]

And for what it's worth (and only because the situation has been mentioned previously in this topic):

Vanessa Paradis: Rumors of Johnny Depp Split Are "False"

Though regardless of whether the reports have been true or false, at least one good thing did come out of the coverage: it finally got DS mentioned on Entertainment Tonight when apparently nothing else could.  [snow_rolleyes]

101 days 8 hours 11 minutes 44 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
After looking around YouTube for something completely non-DS-related, I decided to look around to see if there was anything movie related that no one had posted about, and sure enough I found these:

Movie Bytes: Dark Shadows 2012 Sneak Peak : Beyond The Trailer

Movie Bytes: Summer Movies 2012 : Beyond The Trailer
(They seem to have the same opinion of how big The Avengers is likely to be as I do. Why couldn't it have been scheduled for release the week after DS instead of the week before?  [snow_undecided])

101 days 3 hours 50 minutes 18 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Oh, wow! Forget last week's #158 - DS has skyrocketed up to #65 on IMDb's MOVIEmeter. Once again the climb is being attributed to all the attention the latest Depp/Barn photo has been getting. Though articles of a different sort that they're also crediting are the Thomas McDonell peice I posted the link to the other day as well as this one (another that Google seems to have never sent out an alert for):

FYC Best Supporting Actress Michelle Pfeiffer
(And like them, even just judging by the few photos we've seen so far, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if DS ends up being nominated next year for Oscars in the categories of Best Costumes and Best Achievement in Art Direction.)

101 days 3 hours 34 minutes 2 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Maybe WB knows exactly what it is doing with its marketing strategy.

Ms. Pfeiffer will have my vote. Maybe JD will win an Oscar?

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
I know people who are very involved with her FB pages (and don't always agree with her but keep it to themselves) and this behavior we are seeing is indeed from Ms. Cody.  Some folks will forsake common sense and fair play just to be involved with a DS actor's page.   [snow_sick]

i'd generally be inclined to think it was an imposter as well...

but it does appear to actually be cody. i'm not sure why i'm confident in that but i am. [snow_undecided]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
A German pay TV broadcaster will eventually be showing the Dark Shadows movie and possibly in 3D(?).
http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/2012013119276/sky-secures-warner-bros-movies.html

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
(They seem to have the same opinion of how big The Avengers is likely to be as I do. Why couldn't it have been scheduled for release the week after DS instead of the week before?  [snow_undecided])

That's right - promote it even more so it can be even bigger:

'The Avengers' assemble on Twitter for a live chat

And of course they're not forgoing promoting during Super Bowl XLVI. Of course not. Only Warner Brothers is apparently foolish enough to do that.  [snow_rolleyes]  Although, it could actually be that, as with the Comic Cons, Warner Brothers doesn't think they ever got enough bang for their buck when they've showcased their films in the past during the Super Bowl.  [snow_undecided]  Who knows? But why do I suspect The Avengers is going to get exactly what their studio is hoping for...

100 days 10 hours 43 minutes 32 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Say so long to any chance DS ever had for in-theater promotion...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=86465

In all honesty, I would love for DS to be pushed back to the fall...  now more than ever.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Just my opinion, but I think the Avengers and DS will appeal to very different audiences.  I'm not going to bother analyzing since it's all been done before, but I think it would be a big surprise if anyone in Hollywood ever expected DS to be a "blockbuster" on the scale of Avengers/Spiderman etc.  They are in radically different genres and occupy very different positions in current mass pop culture.

I think DS has a good chance of doing respectable business, but these big-ass comic book productions are a genre all to themselves, with tie-ins on so many levels, you can't crack a plate without stepping on some logo for one of the characters.

You have to admit that for something that has been practically invisible in terms of promotion, the buzz around DS among the hangers-on of the tinseltown world has been steady, constant, and pretty darn phenomenal.

cheers, G.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Oh, I admit I am dazzled by the press DS is getting (without much of anything official to push it - that we know of), though I do go out of my way to look for it.   [snow_wink] But, I was not expecting so much publicity from the Avengers side of things.  Then again, I should have remembered it's a Disney movie...  I still maintain Mother's Day will be the saving grace for Dark Shadows, especially with WTEWYE out of the way.  I just don't want to see DS get lost in the "shadow" of the Avengers.  It undoubtedly will, but, for one weekend, I'd like to see it get its dues.  And I am not sure it will with all of this Avengers "stuff". 

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
I agree with you totally, Gothick.  As for The Avengers, I have participated on a now-defunct movie box office site, and they were already discussing The Avengers YEARS ago-  before it was even filmed.  This movie has been hugely anticipated for a long, long time among comic book/action hero buffs.  Of course, DS has been equally anticipated... by us.  But I think that we are a much smaller focus group than they are.  Again, I hope folks don't look at Johnny's box office returns for Pirates or Alice In Wonderland and expect DS to do the same.  Johnny's films (and Burton's films) are not always huge mega-blockbusters.  I just hope that it makes back its production budget, and that it's a great film  [snow_smiley]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Article concerning Depp's look in the movie and another mini-poll.
http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/01/10281950-depps-barnabas-collins-still-creepily-pale

Where is this darn trailer?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I never really expected DS to have popcorn boxes and soda cups, so it doesn't disappoint me in the least that it probably won't - and it doesn't surprise me in the least that The Avengers will because that's the type of film that tends to have them. And I've never really expected tie-ins with McDonald's or Burger King or any other fast food restaurant chain, so it won't surprise me if that doesn't happen either. And even without knowing about The Avengers' theater deal I've been saying that chances are really very good that it will be the top film at the box office for at least two weeks in a row (meaning the highest DS might place its opening week is second) - and the theater deal and any other promotions it might have should only help to cement that. But DS doesn't have to place first to be a hit. The way first place at the box office is hyped all over the place one might think that, but plenty of films go on to be hits without ever coming in first, or even second - and more interestingly, plenty of films that do come in first their opening week go on to become box office disappointments (can you say last year's Green Lantern). The hype may be all about opening week, but the truth is the long haul. I mean, look at Depp's The Tourist - people wrote it off, but it went on to be a solid hit. (Though, of course, that memo hasn't gotten to everyone, particularly the person who wrote the article I linked to the other day and who was still laboring under the misconception that no one saw The Tourist[snow_undecided]  But then, it's so much more fun for those type of people to say such and such was a flop and to hold onto that idea regardless of the facts than it is for them to ever admit they were wrong.  [snow_rolleyes])

DS will most likely never have the box office numbers that The Avengers is likely to amass - but as others have said, no one is really expecting it to. It would be nice to able to say that DS came in first its opening week. And maybe through some major miracle it will. But if it doesn't, it won't be the end of the world.

99 days 8 hours 4 minutes 16 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Less than 100 days to go!  [banana]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks for the recent links, jimbo and Cousin_Barnabas.  [snow_smiley]

another mini-poll.

Interesting that the results so far are pretty evenly divided with the majority of votes for reserving judgement, which is exactly what people should be doing. [snow_wink]

Where is this darn trailer?

It will come when it comes and, sadly, not any sooner. If asking, demanding or even begging for it could have brought it out, it would have come out a long time ago.  [snow_wink]  It's all an exercise in just how patient we can be. After all, patience is a virtue, right? And we can probably all do with a bit more...

But speaking of trailers, is the upcoming teaser trailer for The Avengers the first trailer for that film? I have to confess that I haven't been paying attention. But last night on Access Hollywood they showed a few seconds from it and said it was "the first look at the film." If that's true, then Avengers fans have been waiting just as long as we have for a trailer. Though, unlike us, they know when they're actually going to see one...

99 days 7 hours 48 minutes 46 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!