Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716981 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: (**TWO NEW PHOTOS!! Reply #1264**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1275 on: September 27, 2011, 06:15:24 PM »
Now that I've had the chance to get a better look at the new photos on empireonline.com, I have to say I'm loving the set Michelle Pfeiffer, Tim Burton and Jonny Lee Miller are sitting in even more than the other set, which we're presuming is the drawing room. It appears to be Collinwood's dining room and another room with a vaulted ceiling. I'm loving the wainscoting (and the wainscoting in the hall). The mural looks like it *might* depict Collinwood sitting atop the cliff - but at any rate it's definitely the cliff. And that door frame - whoa! (And what looks to be a face in the medallion is enough to give you nightmares, which is no doubt the look they were going for.)

I'm practically salivating now to see more of the sets.  [62b2]

226 days 10 hours 44 minutes 36 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: (**TWO NEW PHOTOS!! Reply #1264**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1276 on: September 27, 2011, 06:33:03 PM »
Hmmmm...gotta say a lot of the costuming, the visual representation of women, the use of shadows, the use of sky, the rhythms, the friggin' windmill (right out of Brides of Dracula) all echoed Hammer to me, a lot.  To be sure, it was the colonies not England and with a much grander budget, but the first time I saw Sleepy Hollow my mind went to Hammer.

Its a tricky thing, capturing something as nebulous as a "feel."  Personally, I find the pics of the new movie more faithful in some ways to the series than was HODS.  Mind you, I'm only referring to the pictures.  Haven't seen the whole movie yet (no one has--lots of post production and editing yet to do).  But it does, hopefully, give a nice foretaste.  Prepares my palate, as it were.

For example--colors.  Like the original series I see lots of bright colors off-setting the browns, blacks and grays.  In fact a fair number of background colors seem muted or desaturated to some degree.  One gets the impression of a place faded, and full of shadows.  Of course on TV bright colors were often used to make things visually interesting.  Elaborate sets and landscapes weren't really possible, and wouldn't work on tiny screens anyway.  Star Trek did something similar, with those red, blue and yellow uniforms.  For the movies they went with something different, all muted grays and browns at first and then those lovely black-and-burgundy uniforms with gold insignia and color-coded trim.  Burton seems to have gone after something similar.

Be interesting to see this flick when it is released on DVD, and to watch it with the color turned all the way down to zero!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #1277 on: September 27, 2011, 11:20:14 PM »
First thing I want to say is I really, really hope to like this movie.

Having said that, I really can't see anyone being drawn to this Barnabas. Unless he puts them under a spell and that could be what happens. Do any of you think this Barnabas is "hot"? Maybe this is his vampire on attack look and he looks more normal the rest of the time. I just can see a beautiful young girl seeing this guy and think "I dig that guy!" but I'm not a girl.

And from what I can see of the "bloody claws" photo he really doesn't look like Frid, imho.
May you die before you want too.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: September 28, 2011, 12:07:58 AM »
I just keep coming back to Lara Parker's remark that Depp looks "incredibly handsome" as Barnabas. Though, of course, we don't know in what context she saw him as Barnabas to make that remark, just as we don't know the context of any of the behind the scenes photos we're seeing of Depp/Barn. And I also keep reminding myself that it's not likely that anyone would have described Ben Cross as handsome when he was in his vampire makeup behind the scenes while shooting the '91 Series.

226 days 4 hours 52 minutes 2 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: September 28, 2011, 02:27:47 AM »
Since Johnny Depp doesn't look like Jonathan Frid, it really doesn't mean much to say "he doesn't look like Frid."  Of course he doesn't.  So what?

Honestly, I loved Frid's performance as Barnabas, but never EVER have understood why anyone would call him "hot."  What I could comprehend, quite easily, would be someone falling in love with this man.  Different thing altogether.

Johnny Depp on the other hand makes plenty of ladies swoon.  I've seen it.  Even when he's dressed in filthy, vaguely androgynous rags and with terrible teeth.

Mind you, I like the ladies so my opinion is of someone "outside looking in."

But until we see Johnny Depp as Barnabas--not a photo but some snippet of his actual performance--even tentatively rendering a judgment on that performances cannot make much sense.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: September 28, 2011, 04:20:49 AM »
with each new photograph i get more excited.

love pfieffer's hair more here than in the earlier group shot. it looks more elaborate and 70's. the mood we're getting from these glimpses is somber, somber, SOMBER. not the bright cartoony world of some of burton's other works. it looks like that's what colleen atwood is going for in terms of the costuming too. DARK. not the visual dissonance of the original series' bright mod clothes juxtaposed against the heavy gothic interiors. just dark. but rich too. i keep recalling depp's GREEN inverness cape. a lush forest green. it look like hits of burgundy and plum are out there too. the early 1970's were something of a grim time if one recalls so all this makes sense visually.

it looks like depp in in 18th century costume for his picture. and the garment looks grimy and worn. shortly after his release, perhaps? the blood of his first victim on his hands?

it's all too much to take in.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: September 28, 2011, 06:28:48 AM »
I think that when I first hear the words "Widows Hill" or "Collinwood" uttered in the movie theater, I will die.  It will be so surreal.  And, yes, the picture of Barnabas is clearly right after his release, or else, during the 18th century after he fell through the creaky floorboards of Collinwood.   [ghost_tongue2]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 28, 2011, 04:38:45 PM »
In light of this tweet:

ChazJohnsonUK
had to turn down a job on the new Tim Burton film (Dark Shadows) with Johhny Depp & Michelle Pfeiffer yesterday. XF is way more cool anyway.
1 hour ago

and this one:

ChazJohnsonUK Chaz Johnson
had to turn down a job (again) on the new Tim Burton film with Johhny Depp & Michelle Pfeiffer yesterday! #xfactor is way more cool anyway!
23 Jul

These new ones are interesting:

Cannot wait to get back to @pinewoodstudios next week; but first time for weekend fun (and lots of gin) #debauchery
23 Sep

ChazJohnsonUK
Morning world. En route to @pinewoodstudios for some fun (and work...). #darkshadows
26 Sep

ChazJohnsonUK
Working with Tim Burton is defo a highlight of my film career. He is a genius. Johnny Depp & Eva Green also a complete joy to work with too
26 Sep

ChazJohnsonUK
Lots of green screen action today @pinewoodstudios. Still amazes me how VFX & SFX can create such awesome stuff (you cant see) #darkshadows
20 hours ago

ChazJohnsonUK
Back to set. Absolutely shattered! Crew catering and English breakfast first stop. Luckily, not many cast in today so should be a breeze...
10 hours ago

ChazJohnsonUK
@_SophCo_ totally feel you! It should be illegal to work at this time. My eyes being held open with matchsticks today. Miss you!! Xx
10 hours ago

But regardless of what changed his mind, at least we definitely know that they're still shooting.

225 days 12 hours 21 minutes 15 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: September 28, 2011, 09:00:29 PM »
jamesaadkin James Adkin
Wrapped on the 'splinter unit' for #DarkShadows at #Pinewood Studios, once again, superb set up and facilities. And we have a heat wave....
3 hours ago

225 days 7 hours 59 minutes 31 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: September 28, 2011, 09:17:45 PM »
Trust me, Frid was 'hot' as Barnabas.  He was handsome in a much different way than say a Roger Davis or a David Selby.  It was his air of vulnerability (his character portrayal) in addition to his mood swings ranging from 'pity poor me' to 'rage'.  In addition, it was his incredible voice and mannerisms. It'll be interesting to see if Depp can pull it off and I'm betting he can do it.  However, maybe the storyline will not be one of a sympathetic vampire but will focus on another character. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: September 29, 2011, 12:27:21 AM »
Miss Winthrop, I entirely agree. Even though I didn't see the show until it was syndicated in the 1980s and my days as an impressionable teen were far behind me, I was totally bowled over, especially by that voice!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: September 29, 2011, 02:22:18 AM »
a couple more thoughts...

i'm just basing this on the pictures we've seen but it seems like depp, carter and miller are in effect "doing" frid, hall and edmonds respectively. they're not just playing the characters of barnabas, julia and roger in the abstract but very particular actors interpretations of them. on the other hand heathcote and pfieffer aren't "doing" moltke and bennett. they're just playing characters named vicki and elizabeth. does that make sense?

i could be completely off about this but the pictures left that impression.

also after i heard about the additional casting of a "young victoria" i started to think maybe things are getting a bit top-heavy in terms of cast and subplot. there's only so much that can be squeezed into a two hour film that will largely focus on the barnabs character...or is this a robert altmanesque ensemble piece?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: September 29, 2011, 04:38:02 AM »
Johnny Depp just picture wrapped with us. What a legend and so fun to work with! On another note - bed is calling and my feet are killing!
10 hours ago

Burtonie Burtonie
@ChazJohnsonUK So the filming of DS has finished today?!
7 hours ago

ChazJohnsonUK
@Burtonie No idea I'm afraid. Best to check with his PR / management people...
9 hours ago

Who knows why the times in that exchange are off?  [ghost_huh]  But that's the way it comes up.

225 days 0 hours 21 minutes 58 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: September 29, 2011, 03:52:50 PM »
En route back to set. Double expresso time for me! Shooting scenes with the lovely Eva Green today. #ineedmoresleep
9 hours ago

224 days 13 hours 7 minutes 10 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: September 29, 2011, 04:19:43 PM »
More tweets:

irishrich82 Richard Murphy
Here we go, another crazy busy day. And a little good news to help get me on my way :-)
6 hours ago

carolkent carol kent
@irishrich82 good news ? what good news? did you have fun at the wedding ? xxx
4 hours ago

irishrich82
@carolkent been choosen to be one of 4 male dancers for the new Tim Burton film if the scene gets confirmed :-) x
2 hours ago

carolkent
@irishrich82 congratulations whoop whoop :) what is the film? X
2 hours ago

irishrich82
@carolkent Dark Shadows with Jonny Depp :-) I'm waiting on confirmation still so no congratulating yet but fingers crossed xx
2 hours ago

carolkent
@irishrich82 cool. That's the one where he is a vampire sexy x
2 hours ago

Wonder if this is for the present or the past? But since he hasn't been confirmed yet, apparently shooting will be continuing beyond today.

224 days 12 hours 40 minutes 17 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!