Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720137 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Hey guys!  I just wanted to stop in an say how much I am loving the new picture.  As I have commented before Johnny's makeup doesn't come even close to being as harsh as Frid's was in the Leviathan eps.  Plus they were using flat video tape so it really was harsh.  However, with lights, film, filters on the makeup etc. it could all look different. 

And yes there are so many people on FB in some of the groups that are so hateful. It is so nice to be here in a great controlled environment where everyone respects everyone else.  I am so excited and so glad there is a this great board!

Can't wait guys!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Regarding MB's DS film links, Safari and Firefox for Mac both work, too, even though the page is blank.  I think the fact that they even have a working blank page up now is a good sign!  Continuing to cross fingers...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
another thing to bear in mind that no matter how heavily frid was or wasn't made up during 1897(or any other storyline for that matter)is that depp is not playing jonathan frid he is playing barnabas collins. there is a difference. and depp is entitled to put his own spin on the character.

frid never wore a mullet and acid washed jeans either yet that was ben cross' take on barnabas' look and everyone doesn't complain about that. [snow_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
One of the most absurd complaints that I remember about Cross' casting as Barnabas was that Barnabas would sound too English because Cross was from England. And mind you, this was before anyone had even heard Cross speak one word as Barnabas, so no one really knew what sort of accent he would have in the role. But even if that was going to turn out to be the case, apparently the complainers had forgotten that Barnabas' backstory/lie was that he'd just come from England, so why shouldn't he have sounded as English as anyone else who'd actually lived there? But, of course - and you hit the nail on the head - the real reason behind the complaint was that Frid's Barnabas never had an English accent, so naturally, in the complainers' minds, Cross' Barnabas shouldn't either, no matter how much sense it could make for Barnabas to actually have one. And there seems to be a similar lack of logic with some of the complaints about this film...

107 days 1 hours 39 minutes 40 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Well I think Johnny of course is giving a nod to the old show. And I personally think that is very cool!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Talk about bizarre.  The site has a "bad rating" according to my antivirus...  How is that even possible?  That means Warners has a bad rating...  which, after checking, it does.   [snow_wow]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Exactly.  Another point that goes over the heads of the complainers is that the man who originated the role of Barnabas Collins, and is most identified with the role, doesn't believe he owns the role.  He's been open to other interpretations of it, wishing the actors well, etc.

Nancy

another thing to bear in mind that no matter how heavily frid was or wasn't made up during 1897(or any other storyline for that matter)is that depp is not playing jonathan frid he is playing barnabas collins. there is a difference. and depp is entitled to put his own spin on the character.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I think the fact that they even have a working blank page up now is a good sign!  Continuing to cross fingers...

Yes, it's sort of sad and funny at the same time that we're so starved for any sort of developments that even a blank page at the Web site can get us excited.  [snow_laugh]  But it IS progress.  [snow_wink]

106 days 12 hours 11 minutes 10 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That is true unfortunately. On Twitter the movie's writer is asking for assistance on the last released picture. There are some interesting comments.

Seth Grahame-Smith@sethgs

I've been trying to come up with a caption for this picture of Barnabas. Any ideas? #DarkShadows http://pic.twitter.com/z5LXuTr4

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
96% want to see this movie at this site. They do need to correct the movie's writer.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dark-shadows-2010/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Great that it's getting 96%. Thanks for the link.  [snow_smiley]  And, yes, DC has most definitely not written the screenplay!

106 days 3 hours 47 minutes 40 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I just caught that on second look and edited my post (apparently while you were posting).  [snow_wink]

At first I thought you were referring to what's been written about the film itself and that something there was off, but I didn't catch anything...

106 days 3 hours 44 minutes 46 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
If I'm not mistaken isn't this site often referred to by other various media when a new movie comes out? I guess this is a real good sign for DS being highly rated.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
OK - now apparently we're both editing our posts.  [snow_cheesy]  So just for the record, jimbo originally told me that they incorrectly identify DC as the writer.  [snow_wink]

106 days 3 hours 36 minutes 45 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!