Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720213 times)

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
This is the most informative article/video interview to date IMO. It seems August's script was much darker and straight forwarded. Part of the blame game? http://www.blogofdarkshadows.com/2012/04/04/exclusive-seth-grahame-smith-talks-tone-of-dark-shadows/

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
After reading the article, I have more hope than ever for the film. However, I am a bit put off by the description of how HBC came to get the role of Dr. Hoffman.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That interview with Seth was so very very encouraging!!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The Empire article is up

Thanks so much for the link, Sara Monster.  [easter_smiley]  It looks like an extensive article and should be a good read.

36 days 12 hours 24 minutes 14 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for the link to Grahame-Smith's interview, jimbo.  [easter_smiley]

It seems August's script was much darker and straight forwarded. Part of the blame game?

The interesting thing, however, is as I've said: Richard Zanuck also described August's script as being "very funny." Humor has apparently always been a part of the film. But who knows to what extent originally? And Grahame-Smith's interview sort of confirms what he said about specifically being brought in to work on Barnabas, apparently meaning to make his character more humorous.

That interview with Seth was so very very encouraging!!

I find mostly everything Grahame-Smith has said to be encouraging. The thing is, though, there are so many people who not only want to, they insist on believing he's putting a spin on the film or he's outright lying. I suppose we'll never really know for sure if he's being as truthful as he would appear to be until after we see the film for ourselves...

36 days 12 hours 3 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
What I don't understand is why, for what purpose, would he lie about it? Especially when the film's opening is at hand.

Nancy

The thing is, though, there are so many people who not only want to, they insist on believing he's putting a spin on the film or he's outright lying. I suppose we'll never really know for sure if he's being as truthful as he would appear to be until after we see the film for ourselves...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
What I don't understand is why, for what purpose, would he lie about it? Especially when the film's opening is at hand.

Only the people who believe he's lying would seem to know the answer to that question.  [easter_undecided]  And as you say, the truth is going to come out very soon, so the purpose of him outright lying escapes me. Lying just to get people to see the film would come back to bite him big time, especially in the film industry itself where it would get him a reputation that nothing he says can be trusted, so who would want to work with him? I doubt he's that self-destructive. But that sort of realization of the consequences of him lying is apparently lost on the people who insist he's lying...

36 days 11 hours 7 minutes 46 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That's downright scary, MB. [easter_rolleyes]

But that sort of realization of the consequences of him lying is apparently lost on the people who insist he's lying...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
That's downright scary, MB. [easter_rolleyes]

Well, if I was to hazard a guess, I would suspect that they think everyone in the film industry lies for the bottom line, so there wouldn't be any consequences for Grahame-Smith. They probably believe film industry types would actually come up to him to pat him on the back as congratulations for a good job of lying to get people into the theaters - and then they'd invite him to move on with them to the next project that they could all lie about. Their cynical view of the film industry and, indeed, life seemingly knows no bounds.

36 days 10 hours 45 minutes 35 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Yes, indeed.  It's all a plot. [easter_evil]

Their cynical view of the film industry and, indeed, life seemingly knows no bounds.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i can't find the link to the actual article...just the blog intro.

am i missing something?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
At the moment it's not in text form - one needs to play the audio file of Ed Gross' interview with Grahame-Smith by clicking on the play button of what looks to be a video but is actually just audio.

And speaking of playing audio, thanks to an ingenious method Midnite came up with for me to avoid the titles of the tracks, I was able to listen to the clips of Danny Elfman's DS score last night. Actually, I not only listened to them, I downloaded MP3 copies of all the tracks (which is easily possible if you have RealPlayer Download installed in your browser) and I made an audio CD of them (using Windows Media Player) and I've been listening to the CD almost even since (I'm listening to it right now, and it will hold me quite nicely until the actual score CD is released). And as others have said, it's amazing! Obviously I was already excited about the film - but now after hearing even just the sample clips from the score I'm champing at the bit to see the film.

And speaking of the score, I wonder what the people who insist on believing that people associated with the film like Seth Grahame-Smith are lying think about it? Though why wouldn't I be surprised if they don't even want to believe that it's the real score?

36 days 8 hours 47 minutes 30 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Though why wouldn't I be surprised if they don't even want to believe that it's the real score?

Come now, can't you tell that the tracks on the Watertower site are just part of a big conspiracy?   [easter_evil]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
However, I am a bit put off by the description of how HBC came to get the role of Dr. Hoffman.

I'm not sure if I'd say "put off", but to me it does sound almost like an insult to Helena.  Although, the way I've heard both of them talk, it sounds like more of a joke (i.e., "Boozing, middle-aged psychiatrist?  Just the role for Helena!")