Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720817 times)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Gothick is right about looping.  There can be all sorts of reasons that dialogue needs to be rerecorded.  It might be that there were problems with the sound in some particular shots being used (sometimes entire scenes might need to be rerecorded--I imagine that might end up being more common on shoots away from a soundstage).  Occasionally they may need to come up with a few words or lines for a character offscreen or whose mouth does not appear in frame, to make the story comprehensible should things get changed around in editing.  You'd be surprised how much work goes into sound production on a film.  Footsteps, dishes clanking, door closings, etc. are usually sounds that are added during postproduction.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm guessing since no one has said anything that no one has gotten their hands on a copy of Fangoria #311. And I did a check of a few Depp Web sites and didn't see anything on them either.

And speaking of magazines, I wonder if this might be what Kohli Calhoun was referring to being in Parents?

Nancy O"Dell Chats with A-List Dads: Johnny Depp

85 days 3 hours 57 minutes 24 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That is a good bet. Nice work. Good to see JD has his kids on the DS set for four months.

Hopefully someone will locate a copy of Fangoria 311. I probablly won't be able to look for it until Saturday.

Thanks KMR for the explanation on looping. And to Gothick too of course.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm guessing since no one has said anything that no one has gotten their hands on a copy of Fangoria #311. And I did a check of a few Depp Web sites and didn't see anything on them either.

Not on news stands around me yet...   [snow_angry]

Have a nice time, G!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
speaking of miss heathcote have we not heard a peep from her in many months?

funny the different routes the actors are taking with this project. chloe moretz and eva green haven't shut up for one minute. pfieffer and hbc have been quite vocal. obviously depp has had much to say.

of the principle cast heathcote, jonny lee miller and jackie earl haley have been nearly mute. i wonder why?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
This is an article that rehashes the IMDb's poster who claims to have seen the trailer. The link to the direct discussion thread was previously posted in this topic so I am not sure if there should be possible spoiler warning alert. http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=54833

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Hi all, I've been doing my best to find PG-13 rated "horror" films that I like. So far I've found two, "The Others" and "Poltergeist". I wish I could find more.

One of the things that I always liked about the OS was that it never talked down to us. The writers always treated us as adults. I hope this movie does as well.

I don't want a gorefest but an R  rating doesn't mean it has to be  gory.
May you die before you want too.

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
I just read the Fangoria interview with Grahame-Smith.  I do feel significantly better about the film, having read the article.  Although there is lots of talk about the movie being "funny," Grahame-Smith says the film has classic horror elements, and that he wouldn't describe it as campy (thank goodnes).  He also mentions that the humor comes from character -- primarily Barnabas's adjustment to 1970.  He clearly says that Depp wanted to pay tribute to Jonathan Frid, so I am fairly confident now that the movie won't be a spoof of the original.  I think I need to make peace with the likelyhood that the movie will be too funny for my taste, but at least I don't expect it to be a train-wreck.  I'm eager to hear how others feel, after reading the interview. 

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
This is an article that rehashes the IMDb's poster who claims to have seen the trailer.

This is really getting attention, popping up in a number of places.   

It's funny.  We got those paparazzi shots and everyone was outraged.  Then WB released the cast photo.  Everyone was relieved.  But now we know that the look in the paparazzi shots is very similar to what we will be seeing in the final film. 

If this negative press prompts any sort of reaction from Warners, I wonder if the thing they put out won't throw us off course in attempt to ease our fears, but then have those fears confirmed later down the line - after we have come to accept them more.

Like I said, there was one purported joke that I am very adamantly against.  And, if anything, I hope the release of this "news" will make Warners re-think the use of some of the humor, if it is indeed in there, or at least downplay it in the promotion. 

Poster soon?   [snow_cheesy]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i read the fangoria article and it really doesn't seem like the film is to be a comedy.

perhaps the trailer was simply edited that way for test marketing purposes.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Some of the film's score has been released!

http://youtu.be/rdPMTVTVk7k

(Sorry, sorry...) :P

(Oh, warning: NSFW language)

"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
perhaps the trailer was simply edited that way for test marketing purposes.

That would seem to be the case.  I just hope they downplay it now after the negative reaction. 

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
So the UK DVD release is 18 yrs and over while the new movie is PG-13.
May you die before you want too.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
So the UK DVD release is 18 yrs and over while the new movie is PG-13.

Huh???  [snow_huh]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Apparently the English fashion community has taken note of the DS costumes - and not just the costumes but also a particular star of the film:

The Guardian>Life & style>Fashion>The measure
(Scroll down to the 5th listing in the Going Up section.)

83 days 3 hours 52 minutes 27 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!