Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716552 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
All I can say is if you have the chance to read the track listing of the score, don't... unless you want to feel depressed by the spoilers. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I must say that's an intriguing warning.

And speaking of Elfman's soundtrack, I just checked on Amazon and the price is now down to $12.99. No track listing there, so I was safe.  [easter_wink]

38 days 6 hours 26 minutes 0 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
CB, where did you happen to find a track listing?  I've been searching around, and can't find one.  [easter_huh]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Good!  Stay away from it, MB.  Stay far, far away...  If you dodged the earlier spoiler that HBC gave away, you have to dodge the track listing.  (And there are some other spoilers in there too.)

Over all, I would say that nothing about the tracks would indicate that this movie is at all funny... except for maybe the last three track names, which are borderline parody territory (and they will probably be renamed). 

KMR, someone posted a version of it on IMDB.  Whether it is the final listing or not, it sounds very legitimate based on what we have seen from the trailer and heard from other sources. 

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks, CB.  I hadn't been over to the IMDB board for a while.  (Not enough sanity there for me.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I found it on IMDB, and there is a major spoiler in the track listing, but you have to mouseover a sort of word curtain that says "spoilerspoilerspoiler" repeatedly to see the track listing at all.

G.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I know, G.  It's really silly.  They could have kept some of the tracks free of the curtain.  But, the farther down you get, the more spoilers there are, so I kind of understand. 

Thanks, CB.  I hadn't been over to the IMDB board for a while.  (Not enough sanity there for me.)

Tell me about it.  I was considering registering at one point back in the summer, but then I realized that it would be detrimental to my health.   [easter_wink]  So I never did.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Thanks for the warning Cousin.  I saw your post earlier but later just googled it on my own before I checked back in here.  I found an article at filmmusicreporter.com that gave the track listing, and yes, you're right, there are MAJOR spoilers there.  Since I knew what I was getting into, that was fine for me.  But if people want to avoid them, if you're like me and are registered for Yahoo or Google news alerts, you may want to avoid clicking on any articles that have to do with the soundtrack/score.

I belong to IMDb for several other reasons, mostly for TV shows I watch, but I only check in on the DS board very rarely.  It's good of them to have hidden the spoilers, though!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
it's strange how weirdly hyperspecific some of the track names are...

[spoiler]one of the spoilers we've known for months. ever since HBC slipped that her character gets killed. there was some grousing at the time that perhaps she also played aunt natalie but i guess this settles it. in the t.v. show we know why barnabas wanted to kill julia but here i wonder why. in terms of roger i guess "departs" can mean alot of things so there's not much finality to it.

there are shots in the trailer that inadvertently give things away of one knows what to look for. the group shot outside a burning collinwood is missing a few key figures. i guess we know why roger and julia are absent if these track titles are to be believed...but vicki is also missing. this isn't really a "spoiler" because it's just a guess, and it very much pains me to speculate, but i feel that vicki meets an unfortunate "josette-like" fate. i'm not sure why but i do. the thing here is that this is a stand alone movie as opposed to a daily show. there's no need to maintain a regular cast to carry on the story from day to day. there's really nothing to prevent many or even all of the characters from being killed off.[/spoiler]

i don't know how "official" these track titles are but i can't get over the "vicky" spelling. i've always preferred "vicki". the "i" as opposed to the "y" or "ie" variations suited the character to me. i'll never change it.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
As we continue to discuss what is coming on May 11, 2012, let us all stop for a moment of silence to remember what ended on this day, April 2, 1971.

Everybody pause..........

Thank you.  Now, discuss!

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
now that I have high resolution copies of them, I'll probably make high resolution videos of that spot and the two original 30 second spots and post those once I have.

I haven't forgotten about these. In fact, I've actually been experimenting with trying to get the best quality without ending up with a huge file size. However, I'm still ending up with a quality that's less than I'd like. For the most part it's better than what's on YouTube, but that's not saying much. So, I want to experiment with some Linux video programs that I've never tried to see if their results are any better. But the videos of those spots should show up sooner than rather than later.

And speaking of TV spots, I wonder what, if anything, we might get during tonight's NCAA final? It would be nice if we got to see the new 2 minutes and 25 seconds trailer - but that might be too much to ask for because extended TV spots for films tend to be no longer than 2 minutes, and we've already seen that version...

38 days 4 hours 24 minutes 15 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i'll add this as an aside...

in recent weeks this film has occupied WAY too much of my mental and emotional energy.

i really just want to SEE the darn thing. digest it. like it. dislike it...and get on with my life. [easter_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
GK Films had a contest that the first person to tweet them a photo of themselves sitting in the chair in one the theater standup displays would win a poster:

gkfilms ‏ @gkfilms
We have a winner!!!! More giveaways to come, stay tuned! RT @buffy: @gkfilms http://twitpic.com/94vlr6 #DarkShadows
9:11 PM - 2 Apr 12

And michael c, we still have

38 days 2 hours 41 minutes 19 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Or even longer if you don't go to a midnight showing.  [easter_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
To michael c,

I had come to the same conclusions that you did as regards events revealed in the track listing titles.  My own thoughts:

[spoiler]Burton could only get HBC to agree to do the movie if her character was killed off.  I think she did it as a favor to hubs, basically.  My guess is that the Julia's death occurs roughly in the narrative where Carolyn's did in house of DS.  I haven't a clue about Roger. And Vicki's role in the movie is a complete cypher to me at this point. [/spoiler]

I kind of feel a weird mixture of squeamishness and profound disinterest around actually sitting through the movie.  Just keeping it real for what it's worth.

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
They should a 30 second clip at about 10:10 ET during the basketball game tonight. Nothing new but it went by fast. I don't know if they showed another clip during the game tonight.