Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716979 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: (**HUGE NEWS** Reply #35) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2011, 03:42:24 PM »
BTW, Tim Burton and Helena Bonham-Carter were guests at the Buckingham Palace state dinner Wed evening for President and Mrs. Obama.

Wonder if Obama pulled secrets out of Burton about the Depp/DS film?  [ghost_cheesy]

351 days 13 hours 17 minutes 36 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2011, 04:14:02 PM »
3D is hurting the movie industry, says analyst

Yet more evidence to fan many DS fans' fears that shooting the Depp/DS film in 3D may not be a good idea - and it uses Depp's own Pirates 4 as an example.

Changing reels, just before I opened the Google link for this article, I saw one that was entitled "Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer begin shooting Dark Shadows!" For a split second I actually thought it might be about Depp and Pfeiffer shooting a scene together and that we might get some small detail of what it was. But apparently I was delirious to even think such a thing for even a split second because the article turned out to be the umpteenth printing of WB's press release from last week.  [ghost_sad]

But one day - and who knows when that day will come - but one day we really are bound to get an article that shares some small detail about shooting.  [ghost_smiley]

351 days 12 hours 45 minutes 58 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2011, 06:13:22 PM »
This is such an exciting time for DS!  It's almost surreal that this film is finally happening.  I sincerely hope they get it right.  The best part is the fact that this film will bring lots of attention to the classic series.  It could lead to more great things for the original DS!
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2011, 07:58:20 PM »
Well - isn't this person optimistic and open minded.  [ghost_rolleyes]

“Dark Shadows,” the Movie....Seriously?

And she seems to think the film is being shot in CA. Plus she jumps to at least one major conclusion that is clearly contradicted by numerous reports about the film. So, I think she needs to pay better attention, or at least do much better research.

But she did get one thing right: it is about time that someone finally recognized the wealth of untapped potential in DS.  [ghost_smiley]

351 days 9 hours 1 minutes 40 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2011, 08:16:57 PM »
I would certainly hope that Josette is in this movie. I would be extremely disappointed if she is not.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2011, 08:25:36 PM »
Thinking that the film bypasses the Barnabas/Josette/Angelique triangle is the conclusion I was referring to. Clearly it hasn't been dropped and will indeed play out in some form in the film. I mean, Victoria can't resemble Barnabas' lost love without the woman who embodied that lost love being established in the film in some way.

351 days 8 hours 34 minutes 24 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2011, 11:22:08 PM »
I assume WB left out Josette's character in its press release to prevent the new audience from learning a major story line. However, the new audience with a simple search will know of her character plus the movie trailers may reveal her in any event.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2011, 11:27:12 PM »
Yes, definitely beware of trailers.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Although, given how adamant Burton is that nothing gets out about his films that he doesn't specifically want to get out, I wonder if he has trailer approval in his contract? Some directors do so that the studios don't reveal too much.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 26, 2011, 01:40:15 AM »
Hmmm - Chloe Moretz has changed her background image on her Twitter page. I wonder what it might be from? Dare we hope?

It's an awfully sophisticated look for a 14-year-old. So, if it is from DS, the film's Collinses would really have to go all out when they dress for dinner.  [ghost_wink]  But perhaps it could actually be from a photo shoot for Elle UK because someone from the magazine tweeted 3 hours ago that Chloe "dazzled in Azzaro," which, thanks to Google, I now know is a designer clothing line.

351 days 3 hours 19 minutes 45 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 26, 2011, 04:13:55 AM »
it's funny how perception of age has changed since the original DS run.

michelle pfeiffer is only three years younger than joan bennett was when she took on the role of "matriarch" elizabeth collins stoddard yet while bennett very much looked and played the part as a woman in late middle age pfeiffer is still considered by many to be "young".

that said i do think she's too old to have been considered for the part of angelique.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 26, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »
I know what you mean, mscbryk.  But I do hope that Pfeiffer's youthful appearance doesn't change the type of Elizabeth we are used to seeing...  She's one of my favorite characters, if not my favorite.  

As for the other topic, Josette is such an integral part of Dark Shadows, it would be hard imagining it without her.  She was the one constant in the series.  She was there in the earliest episodes and continued to be present until the bitter end.  It was Josette that really helped save the series.  She was the supernatural element which led to the others.  And in all of the three major supernatural stories of the early years, Josette was the glue that held them together.  Once that final early supernatural storyline took off in its own direction, the character of Josette became further cemented into the history of the show, eventually earning her own popular theme song.  Where would we be without Josette?  Nowhere.  I hope the creators of the new version see it the same way.  

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2011, 02:23:40 PM »
Apparently it's another Carolyn day of the set:

ChloeGMoretz
Morningg :) lil bit of breakie and then onto hair/make up :) hope everyone has a nice day xxxxx
6 hours ago

Also, just noticed that yesterday Krysia Whitty, who is working on the Depp/DS film as a props buyer/researcher, tweeted:

kr_shhh
There are Johnny depp fans hanging outside @PinewoodStudios hoping to catch a glimpse!
25 May

I wonder if any actually got a glimpse?

350 days 14 hours 36 minutes 20 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2011, 02:50:39 PM »
The caption for the photo accompanying this article and the article itself answer the question of where Chloe Moretz new background Twitter photo came from (sadly, it's not DS - but as I said, it did look a bit too sophisticated): Fashion's Child Star: Chloe Grace Moretz talks Johnny Depp (Vogue.com UK)

350 days 14 hours 9 minutes 21 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2011, 05:45:52 PM »
Just so excited!  I am no around a lot these days but I am lurking.  I have been busy.   I am enjoying all this news!  So happy! 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2011, 08:32:46 PM »
it's funny how perception of age has changed since the original DS run.

michelle pfeiffer is only three years younger than joan bennett was when she took on the role of "matriarch" elizabeth collins stoddard yet while bennett very much looked and played the part as a woman in late middle age pfeiffer is still considered by many to be "young".

I attributed it to all the "50 Is The New 30," "60 Is The New 40," and especially the "60 Is The New 30"(!) articles that are written. Nowadays no one wants to slip into middle age gracefully as people once did. Seemingly everyone wants to hold onto their youth for as long as possible - and thus articles with titles like the ones I've quoted are written. And of course, people who perceive themselves as young are going to see others in their age group as young as well. I'm guessing the woman who wrote that piece can't conceive of any 50-something woman as matriarchal material - she probably thinks a woman has to be at least 70-something before she reaches that stage.  [ghost_wink]

The really interesting thing about that piece is that I've seen it being discussed in several different DS venues - and universally it's being ripped to shreds - and by the very fans of the original series that she felt won't like how the Depp/DS film is being handled...

350 days 8 hours 27 minutes 14 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!