Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716922 times)

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Re: (**CAN IT REALLY BE?! Reply #1010**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1020 on: September 14, 2011, 12:48:42 AM »
After getting over the shock, I'm gonna guess this is the point in the movie where his character is in treatment for the vampirism, hence the MJ-inspired sun shielding attire.

edit: Opps, someone already suggested this! Well I'm seconding it, anyways.  [ghost_wink]

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: (**CAN IT REALLY BE?! Reply #1010**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1021 on: September 14, 2011, 12:57:05 AM »
I was thinking that he went to the costume party as a "vampire". That's what it looks like, a cheap kids vampire costume.
May you die before you want too.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: September 14, 2011, 01:04:24 AM »
No matter how much we try to rationalize his Barnabas Collins look, it will bring embarrassment to DS fandom especially when it will be the first photos in the printed edition in the days to come. imo

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #1023 on: September 14, 2011, 01:25:45 AM »
I'm with you there Jimbo. Truth is I didn't expect it to be as good as I wanted it to be but I never, ever dreamed it would be this bad.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: September 14, 2011, 01:29:09 AM »
To begin, let me just say that the costume is fantastic, very true to the original.  

You will note that he appears to have long fingernails, perhaps a result of his treatment?  There is no way that Barnabas Collins can be accepted by anyone looking like this.  They'd all know he is a vampire.  It's like Edward Scissorhands.  We all knew he was different.  Perhaps the lighting and after-effects will alter his appearance.  As others have said, he must be walking out in the sunlight for the first time, otherwise he wouldn't need those shades and gloves.  Reports have indicated that he had white make-up back in July.  I am not entirely sure what the final product will be.  I just can't imagine anyone accepting him as human or even relatively normal with that makeup job.  Everything else about him (sans fingernails) is perfect, though.  

RachelDrummand

« Reply #1025 on: September 14, 2011, 01:32:20 AM »
I created this motivational poster to express how I feel. Just my opinion of course.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: September 14, 2011, 01:41:12 AM »
Clarification, in case anyone needed it:  By costume, I mean the CLOTHING of course.  Make-up not included, naturally.   [ghost_cheesy]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: September 14, 2011, 01:44:00 AM »
Okay, I've been hopeful so far. But now, I'm going to start having nightmares about Barnabas doing the moonwalk.

There just has to be some crucial information we're lacking about this scene, some context we don't understand, that would make it make sense.  Otherwise, I'm very afraid.  Perhaps Chloe's remark about "Beetlejuice meets Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd" was more apt than we expected, and the emphasis is on the Beetlejuice part.  Yikes!

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #1028 on: September 14, 2011, 01:44:30 AM »
It's unfortunate that the first glimpse of Johnny as Barnabas isn't a proper studio portrait, but that's the risk any production runs by trying to keep something under wraps - you can issue an advance picture and control the image, or try and hold off, hoping that no one sneaks a peek. These are fleeting pap shots, and I don't think anyone with perspective - especially those on the production - would suggest that they are an ideal representation or show the character or visuals at their best.

People will make snap judgements, but these shots are no more defining visuals for this production than a studio kid's candids of Frid walking along West 53rd Street were. They're an intriguing early glimpse. Nothing more, nothing less.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #1029 on: September 14, 2011, 01:59:57 AM »
Stuart - You're right about these not being the first photos the studio would want us to see but Frid looked alot better in the photos of him walking down 57th st.

Now the studio can take control of this and put out a press release with a proper photo or they can let this spread across the internet. They can take control or they can let us think whatever we like based on these photos. The choice is theirs as are the results of that choice.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: September 14, 2011, 02:06:04 AM »
VictoriaWinters1991 nicely done. KMR oh no Barnabas Collins doing the moonwalk. That was good. We are not receiving good press on this development and that is unfortunate and TPTB should not have let this happen. Where was security or did they intentionally allow these photos to be published? I believe the writer of this article agrees with Stuart's assessment that these photos should not be the first glimpse of BC. borgosi let's see if that happens-hope you are right.
 http://www.slashfilm.com/king-pop-dark-shadows-johnny-depp/

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #1031 on: September 14, 2011, 02:11:33 AM »
Jimbo - I believe that once people form an opinion it's gets harder and harder to change it. The longer they wait to take control of this the harder it will be to change minds, that's my opinion anyway.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: September 14, 2011, 02:18:42 AM »
Bella looks beautiful as Victoria Winters, however.  

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: September 14, 2011, 02:28:05 AM »
This freakish looking Barnabas is going viral and 90% is negative. I don't know how much can change in post production but why this freekish look in the first place? Can't imagine WB being too pleased with the release of these photos. The movie had so many positive things going for it and now this. Borgosi may be right about first impressions and how it stays in people's minds. However, this could just be a small bump in the road or we will actually be seeing our beloved Barnabas doing the moonwalk.
Cousin Barnabas I always liked Bella for Victoria even though I know many who don't.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #1034 on: September 14, 2011, 02:28:28 AM »
Thanks, Jimbo. :)