Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717498 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
On another note....

I just "liked" the Dark Shadows Movie facebook page, and found this that they just recently added:

A Dark Shadows "Which Character Are You?" Quiz!!!

http://www.facebook.com/darkshadowsmovie/app_287643174657424

I got Angelique.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I got Angelique.

Um - should we be scared of you now?  [ghost_shocked]

I got Barnabas - and I don't know if I should be flattered or horrified.  [ghost_cheesy]

I do have to say, though, that I love the choices in the quiz. Very telling of what we have to look forward to.

Thanks so much for the link, Brandon.  [ghost_smiley]

12 days 3 hours 4 minutes 36 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I am Barnabas Collins.

ClaudeNorth

La Pfeiffer's scenes remind me why I became a Pfan in the first place.  I think she might just walk off with the film, and that this performance could end up ranking among her finest work.  Overall, I'm very pleased with these clips, although I could do without the jokier moments.  On the other hand, the scene between Elizabeth and Julia has humorous moments that are handled very well, and serve to enhance the deliciousness of the scene, rather than being obvious comedy bits.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This is fascinating - and thank heavens I recorded it because I don't always. I just discovered that the weekend edition of Entertainment Tonight ran a longer version of its DS segment. More behind the scenes footage, more film footage (though probably stuff that's already available on Youtube), and more of the interviews (stuff that isn't contained in what's been uploaded on YouTube). Except for when they do special weekend shows that are completely unrelated to what they do during the week (but those shows seem to be few and far between lately), who knew that the segments they decide to show on the weekends aren't exactly the same as what they've shown during the week? I sure as hell didn't.

If the weekend show hasn't already run in your area, you should definitely check it out...

12 days 2 hours 29 minutes 14 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Thanks for the link, Brandon!  I got Carolyn Stoddard, strangely enough!  (I wish!  I'd like to get those ~40 years back  [ghost_grin] )  I didn't even give the answer about playing vinyl records.  I actually wanted to be Julia, since I'm a scientist, but I thought more of my answers were closer to Barnabas and Roger.  I'm guessing that my votes were split among many of the characters, but that's okay, I'll take Carolyn!  [ghost_cool]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
EVERYONE take a big guess who I am!   Of course I manipulate it to be my favorite Doctor! :)

I have been on board with the MICHELLE P bandwagon since she was in talks. I heard so many say, she isn't old enough.  Well she is very close to Joan's age when Joan started; but hey 53 is the new 43! I think Helena, Johnny, Michelle, Eva and little Gulliver are going to be my faves. I also think that Johnny Lee Miller has captured a lot of Louis Edmonds.....Hell I love the whole cast. Who am I kidding??

I can't seem to find the Spoiler button...maybe it's exhaustion?

Hey MB...I always forget about the double posting thing.  Sorry about that!  ;)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

IluvBarnabas

I just took the quiz...would you believe I'm a Carolyn? [ghost_blink]

Like MB, I don't know whether to feel complimented, or just be plain dazed and confused. [ghost_cheesy]

I mean, I like Carolyn and all, but I don't really feel I have much in common with her. Ah, well. I guess I can't argue with fate....snicker, snicker. [ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, you win some, you lose some. I may have caught the longer ET, but apparently I missed at least one showing of something else. I completely forget to figure out what I was going to program tonight to try to catch potential new DS TV spots, and by the time I decided to record ABC and FOX their programs had already started. And wouldn't you know that just as my ABC recording started a new DS TV spot was just about concluding. Though I'm sure it'll be on again at some point. And on the bright side we do know another new spot has been released...

12 days 1 hour 30 minutes 32 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Among all of the #DarkShadows Twitter traffic this afternoon, I came across a couple of posts from Hollywood media types mentioning being en route to interview the cast of the film, so this may have been the day that they filed all the reporters in for their individual interview spots.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Hmm, well the new clips are certainly better than the trailers and promos.  I enjoyed some aspects of the new clips and could feel a bit of actual DS going on in between the foolishness.  Still, I don't care for the comedy.  It puts a damper on it for me.

At the risk of being a killjoy again (sorry cousins), I don't think it's okay for Burton and Depp to "have some fun with DS" like we do in the fandom.  It's one thing to joke around online or at a Fest, but this film is big... MASSIVE. This picture has the potential to rebrand "Dark Shadows" as a "dark comedy" on the pop-culture consciousness for decades to come.  Let's take Batman for example.  Batman started off as a dark and tragic figure in 1939.  In the 40s and 50s he evolved into a more kid-friendly hero.  In the 60s, the mega-popular TV show made him a campy caped crusader and THAT'S how the public perceived him for over 20 years.  Sure, the comic creators yearned for the return of the Dark Knight with stories like the grim and gritty ‘The Dark Knight Returns’, but the general populace still thought of Adam West hikinks when the name “Batman” came up.  However, in 1989, someone brought the Batman back into the shadows in a very BIG way.  It was Tim Burton of course.  His take on Batman had an enormous impact on the way the public viewed (and continues to view) that character.
When we create funny captions, cartoons, and comedy skits within the fandom that's one thing (and yes, I love that stuff too!), but taking that type of humor to the level Burton and Depp have taken it is irresponsible IMO.  I'm not denying their fandom in any way and I BET you it all started with Burton and Depp AS fans having a laugh over how Barnabas must have reacted to the modern world upon his release.  Of course it's fun to imagine and laugh about those things, but actually depicting such situations utterly undermines and satirizes the source material.  It really sends the Gothic tradition over Widow's Hill and onto the rocks below! *krssshhh! ouch!  splash!*  [ghost_shocked]

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer guys and gals.  I really wish I could share the enthusiasm many of you are showing for the film.  Instead, I feel a mix of trepidation and curiosity.  I do think the new clips are better than the trailers, so maybe there's some hope for this grumpy old fangirl. ;)
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
AMAZING POST GERARD!  You can say what I am thinking.    What a lovely post.  Are you on Facebook. I would love if you were to post that on my DS facebook page.

Thank you, Taeylor!  No, I don't have a facebook profile, but you're more than welcome to copy and post what I said on your profile.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
"irresponsible" to what penny?

i appreciate your passion but the thing we need to remember is that "we" are the only people who take this seriously.

to the general public DS is, and always will be, a "campy" 1960's soap opera. even for people who recall it with fondness. it's unfortunate but true.

it wasn't a comedy to be sure. it took itself deadly serious. but the film is not likely going to change popular opinions of the "source material" one way or the other because it is simply not something that is held in high esteem to begin with.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
to the general public DS is, and always will be, a "campy" 1960's soap opera. even for people who recall it with fondness. it's unfortunate but true.

I know Michael, and I appreciate your response, but does this mean we should just throw in the towel and say "so be it?"  I say nay.  I'm all for new directions, angles, and storylines.  Absolutely.  But tone and mood is key.  I fear this new film will just add to skewed public perceptions about DS.  This is unfortunate because it could have really helped put these perceptions to rest.  Several of the creators behind the classic series dislike(d) those erroneous ideas about the show and I guess I've always felt for them in that regard.

but the film is not likely going to change popular opinions of the "source material" one way or the other because it is simply not something that is held in high esteem to begin with.

Again I ask, should we just give in to those opinions?  I just can't say, "Oh well, a lot of people think it's silly anyway so it's okay with me if they make a funny version."  It bugs me, y'know?

In 'Night of the Iguana' Hannah Jelkes says, "accept whatever situation you cannot improve."  I delivered that line every night when I played the role and I want to take Hannah's advice, but I just can't seem to do it.  I lead a fairly busy life, and I've got more important things to worry about than some movie and yet...it really matters to me for some reason. *shrugs*
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I'm ok with comedy in DS, I just don't think it should come from Barnabas. I don't know the eposide number but shortly before Barnabas came on the show Jason and Willie talked about the "family jewels" and imho it was funnier than the "balls" bit. In fact the only line I've seen in the trailers that made me laugh was the one about Alice being the "ugliest woman I've ever seen". To me what appears to be what they think is funny just isn't, at least not for me.

I'm ok with a new take on DS, I just feel like this could have been a great new film. My hope is that it at least doubles it budget at the box office it's first day. I hope that the films that follow this one will be great, epic, gothic love/horror stories. I hope they get a second chance and that they listen to the fans. I'm afraid it will either bomb at the box office and we won't get another or it will be a hit and the next one will be even more of a comedy. Dark Shadows 2; The Vampire That Shagged Me.

For some reason, it matters to me as well.
May you die before you want too.